View Full Version : Getting his name on the baby's birth certificate...

10-18-2005, 05:29 PM
my b/f is in saginaw correctional facility and i just had his son on the oct 5th and my b/fs name is not on the bith certifcate but i get help through fia and they want to go after him for child suport but i sent in the form for his son to see him will they still approve it even though his dads name is not on the birth certifcate help me out pleaz

10-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Since it wasn't done at the time of birth you'll have to file an affidavit of parentage.
You can wait and see if they approve it. My husbands name is not on his sons either but he was always allowed in but then again that was 18 years ago.
I believe FIA will ask you to name the father anyway.

10-18-2005, 06:33 PM
I think you should just put him on. The state can't collect while he is in prison. It would be easier on you then having to jump through the DOC's hoops. My son's dad was in prison a few times (not the same guy i am presently seeing). They stopped child support. It might be the same scenario. How can he pay for something when he has no income...Good Luck

10-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Just like LISAW said they can't go after someone in prison, I had signed some papers here in MN for my daughter's father currently in MI not to go after him for child support while he is incarcerated, I didn't want him to have to pay all this back child support & when he gets out he wouldn't be able to get a drivers license in MN iff he owes child support. Good luck!!

DJB's Wife
10-18-2005, 08:06 PM
It's my understand that for a minor child of an inmate to visit, the name must be on the birth certificate or the child must be listed in the inmates PSI (not sure what the letters stand for, but it's a profile that list entire background - education, employment, family, etc.)

10-18-2005, 08:40 PM
my ex-boyfriend used to get to see his daughter through an affidavit of parentage, so that should work before the birth certificate is ready, but do know he eventually had to get her birth certificate in order to see her and he wasn't on the birth certificate either.

10-21-2005, 11:52 AM
my son is 15 and just this year added his father to his BC ... we had an affidavit of parentage signed and filed with the probate court when he was born but we broke up and he never did what he needed to , to be added ... and no he has to be on the BC for the baby to visit ... and like someone else said they cant collect support while he is in prison BUT he will accumulate arrearages ... have welfare get the afadavit filled out and filed with the courts then add his name to the baby's BC ... ... you can use the affadavit as proof (has to be a court certified copy) for visitation ...

A person under the age of 18 may be placed on a prisonerís approved visitors list only if s/he is:
1. an emancipated minor; or
2. the child, stepchild, grandchild or step-grandchild of the prisoner; or
3. the sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling of the prisoner.
Please refer to PD 05.03.140 Prisoner Visiting, for a list of the circumstances when a person under the age of 18 shall not be permitted to visit. A minor (unless an emancipated minor), must be accompanied by an adult immediate family member (of the child) or his/her legal guardian. The adult accompanying the minor must be on the prisonerís approved list. Note: Only those minors identified in this paragraph shall be permitted to visit.
The person under the age of 18 must present an original or a certified true copy of a birth certificate, certificate of adoption, a court order establishing paternity, or a valid pictured identification (drivers license, state identification, or passport) if they have one, each time they visit. (This is for identification purposes, not to establish and verify parentage).

here is some info on adding the father

10-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Here in texas, I went through the Attorney General office to get his name on my son's bc. We had broken up before our son was born 13yrs ago - so his name wasn't ever on it. So this past year, we are trying to work out our differences, and I decided to put his name on it. He had to fill out some paperwork, write a letter, do a parental rights & responsibilities form and stuff. But it's done now - just waiting on the actual bc to come to me in the mail. Each state is different in regards to minor children. Here in Tx - as long as you aren't in on a sex offense, you can go visit at the prison, and have normal visits, but the child has to be relative to the inmate to get in. If the inmate is in on a sex offense, then you can't have any contact visits with anyone under the age of 16 or 17. I forget which. (I find out a lot of this stuff from my cousin, she is a guard at a prison in Rosharon, TX R3)