View Full Version : Does anyone know about Montford Unit Prison in Texas?

Antons_Angel
10-17-2005, 11:53 PM
My boyfriend was recently transfered there from county and from what I understand it's a psychiatric prison?? Why would he be sent there? I haven't gotten a letter from him yet, he's only been there a week, but I sent him a quick note letting him know that I'm aware of his move. I do know that when he was in county jail he was given lithium Zyprexa, and Thorazine Spansule (Chlorpromazine) to take but refused to take it. He was never seen by a psychiatrist just a nurse. I'm worried that he'll reject any treatment they try to give him and then cause himself more problems. I've never heard of Montford and have no idea what goes on there but I do know that he's not happy about it.

timber_fairy
10-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Montford is a psychiatric unit but it is also a medical facility. Does he have any medical problems that you are aware of? I would call the unit and ask why he was sent there.

lawdawg21
10-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Montford is a physc unit. More than likely he was sent there as a reccomendation from the county because of his meds. It is also possible he is just assigned there. These type of units still need offenders to work in them so its plausible.

katy bea
10-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Montford is actually right down the way from me. I live in Lubbock and know a nurse who works there. You are put in Montford for either mental or physical illness, as they all said before me. The only inmates that are allowed to work there are high level trustees. So if he's not a high level trustee then you can be sure it's because of his illness. For a physical illness, it has to be a long term or terminal illness. That should narrow it down for you.

Starrla
01-26-2006, 12:06 AM
My experience from the Neal Unit, is that if we had an offender that needed to be taking certain meds, and was refusing, after so much time, we'd transfer him to Montford, where they are better equipped to deal with the medical problems and mental issues with medications. It was kind of sad that we'd have to threaten these guys with going to Montford to get them to take their meds sometimes. Most of the time it worked, but every now and then, I had to chain one out to Montford for lack of taking his needed meds.

drews_girl
06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I live in Lubbock, and in fact can see Montford's lights at night. It's just east of town on Highway 84. I don't know much about what the reasoning is to send him there, but yes it is a Psychiatric Prison. I know that my fiance' went there for a short time to get glasses, so maybe since he just left county they are doing the whole diagnostic thing there and getting him ready to go to a more permanent unit.

xSacredCynx
03-10-2007, 09:48 PM
My brother is in Montford unit. He is there for several sucide attempts. I've been to see him in this prison once.

Bensbelle
03-12-2007, 06:26 AM
It's actually a pretty decent prison & from what I've heard they treat the inmates well there. If you're on his visitation list call the prison & tell them you want to speak with anyone who has info on your bf, they're very forth coming & helpful.

tonyjoes
04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
my husband is there but he is in the back which is the trustee camp. So he be going there, it's alot better than regular unit. There not in cells but it is more like a camp. Its for high level trustees so it would good if he was going there. They get trustee time and work time there.

stmom
05-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Starrla, I was told that since my son needed medication he had to go to a special facility but from you post that doesn't seem to be the case. He takes his medication fine but had a head injury in first grade with frontal lobe damage. It does cause him to be violent if he misses his medication but he is fine with it. Do you think he would still have to go to a special needs unit as they are all so far from our home.

jruddell47
08-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi
My stepson was in Montford and he was treated really well there. He is bipolar, a drug addict and had had about 22 operations on his stomach. He took two courses there and got out. The guards and the staff were really nice to me when I went to visit him. His problem is he won't leave street dope alone when he gets out, this is his 4th time down. I helped him the second and third times hoping he would straighten up but he didn't he chose his drugs over his two beautiful daughters and I was done with it him!! But as far as the prison it was good and for some reason they didn't catch the fact that he is also a manipulator.

He went back in Feb of 2000 after being out only 10 months, he can't live in the real world. He's not supposed to get out now til 2013 and his daughters will be of age so they won't have to deal with him.The last time he went down they sent him to Huntsville and he had to work hard and that's a dirty word to him. Now he is somewhere around Waco.

I do hope your boyfriend does well there, tell him they are only trying to help him and if he needs those meds to take them. He might find out he really does need them.

good luck

searchingmom
03-23-2014, 07:44 PM
It's actually a pretty decent prison & from what I've heard they treat the inmates well there. If you're on his visitation list call the prison & tell them you want to speak with anyone who has info on your bf, they're very forth coming & helpful.

I hope that your information is correct because my son was sent there last Friday. I don't know why, haven't heard anything from him and am worried about what's going on. I am also wondering why all of the posts seem to be very old. Are there current users out there from Texas and Montford Unit specifically?

leeann1057
03-25-2014, 07:31 AM
My son is in this unit and is a trustee, he told me its a very laid back unit and i have not heard nor has he said anything bad about it, i have not been able to go visit him because we live a long ways from there, but his girl friend goes every weekend and she said that the guards are very helpful and nice. Wish I could say more about it, but thats all i know...good luck and God bless