View Full Version : how early can someone get parole?

mamicita
10-16-2005, 09:48 PM
i hope this is not too dumb of a question...but hey i don't know...
and i don't feel like talking to sisters and brothers about it...
so anyways
how early can someone try for parole? how many years they have to do before they can get it?
and can they still get it if they have the 85% rule thing...?
i ask because i NEVER hear my man talk about it...he always talk about getting out...but he don't ever say the parole way...he always talk about other ways....:confused: :(

whiskeylullabye
10-16-2005, 09:51 PM
It depends on the state. Have you looked at the state's DOC site? Do they have one? For my man it says his parole hearing date, even though it's really two months before what they say.
What is his sentence? That will make a difference too. My boyfriend's not eligible until he's served all of his minimum sentence - 15 years.

mamicita
10-16-2005, 09:55 PM
It depends on the state. Have you looked at the state's DOC site? Do they have one? For my man it says his parole hearing date, even though it's really two months before what they say.
What is his sentence? That will make a difference too. My boyfriend's not eligible until he's served all of his minimum sentence - 15 years.

i have no idea...

whiskeylullabye
10-16-2005, 10:03 PM
go to your state forum and see if there's a link to the DOC site.
this is something you should talk to him about since it involves your future. just ask him. that's what i did about his max out date

Kissymissy
10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
It varies by state. In Wisconsin if you're under the old parole law you have to serve 25% of your time before you're eligible for parole. But it's not automatically given, it's discretionary by the parole board and they have a lot of factors that go into it.
So they can keep deferring you indefinitely even if it doesn't seem fair. The mandatory release is after 66% of the time is served ( I think that's how it goes).

Silva
10-23-2005, 02:37 AM
In Tx for agg sentences they have to serve 50%, most others have to do at least 25%, depending on the date of their conviction/crime. The only thing I am grateful for is that Tx doesnt do 85%.

Freebird08
10-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Hello...came across this thread and thought this might help! :)

This free guide by the Sentencing Project is an excellent overview of lifer laws and parole practices in different states.

It answers your questions about what a life sentence really means in your state. Is there a shot at parole -- or does life really mean life?

It also documents the staggering increase in lifers nationwide despite drops in violent crime.

http://www.sentencingproject.org/pdfs/lifers.pdf

one_luv
11-02-2005, 01:04 AM
The Sentencing Project is a wonderful org. I did an extensive research project on sentencing laws and used a lot of reports on their site. Thanks for the link, I didn't know they had this on there.

PattisPleasures
11-20-2005, 10:31 PM
at one time some states it was half plus 6 months....now they have flat sentencing as well....Kansas loves to take the tiniest bit of good time they have if they get a write up. I say bastiges are too happy doing this.

Doc's Sis
11-27-2005, 07:18 AM
i have no idea...
You don't know how long his sentence is? Maybe you need to ask him? Do you know what he's in there for? You say that he talks about getting out - and you don't ask him WHEN that will be? Parole rules are different in each state - and the Parole Board makes decision based upon each individual case - so nobody can give you the info you want. Your friend is the one who needs to tell you the details. Am sure he knows when he'll be eligible for parole.

mamicita
11-30-2005, 06:18 AM
You don't know how long his sentence is? Maybe you need to ask him? Do you know what he's in there for? You say that he talks about getting out - and you don't ask him WHEN that will be? Parole rules are different in each state - and the Parole Board makes decision based upon each individual case - so nobody can give you the info you want. Your friend is the one who needs to tell you the details. Am sure he knows when he'll be eligible for parole.

the point is i don't understand this parole thing...
my man has to do 85% of his time...does that mean he can't get parole?
he was sentenced 15...with the 85% was dropped to 12...he did 3.
he has 9 more to go.:confused: