View Full Version : Texas Inmate Support letters - helpful tips

Been There 2
10-16-2005, 10:04 PM
(birdine_family@yahoo.com) Someone asked me about this from something I said earlier. Here are my views (which are similar to others.)

INMATE SUPPORT LETTERS
As your loved one becomes eligible for consideration by the Board of Pardons and Parole, there are many things that should be done to insure that he is NOT just a name and number to those people .It is just like selling a car. There a lot of them out there wanting consideration, but you have only so much time to spend while looking. The better you “sell” yourself, the better your chances are of being favorably considered.

The Board considers hundreds of requests a month. They sift through a mound of paperwork every day, trying to discover those who are “Really Ready” to return to the Free World, (and NOT prove an embarrassment to someone who voted for a violent recidivist).

WHAT IS A SUPPORT LETTER?
Support letters are proof that the offender now has, and will continue to have a network of friends and family to help when he or she is released. There are no rules, no format, no real requirement for one of these. But here are some guidelines and suggestions for you. Please use what fits your own special situation, as the Board will not be very convinced of a “cookie-cutter” generic letter. Express yourself in the way that is personal and meaningful to you.

Each support letter shows that:
A. I am a free world person who knows the inmate and cares about his/her future life.
B. I have given this inmate my free world input and guidance while he/she has been in prison.
C. I will be there with my support when he/she is released back to the community.
D. I know the good side of the inmate, and can help offset the bad side, which is in his/her criminal record. (Which will be all that the Board member sees otherwise.)
E. (I am a voter in the State of Texas! I can and will exercise my right to remove from office the indifferent, the lazy, and the corrupt who ignore the voters of the state.)
EVERYBODY CAN WRITE SUPPORT LETTERS
A. Immediate family members
B. Involved relatives; aunts, uncles, cousins
C. close friends and loved ones
D. Respected members of your community, such as ministers, school teachers, religious teachers, businessmen, past and prospective employers, students, counselors, etc.
E. Your inmate’s TDCJ supervisors or other people who have known him while in prison, such as the chaplain, counselor, teacher, volunteer from the community. (But remember that today, many wardens will not allow such letters to be written by staff members, or only after review by the warden).
F. People who know the spouse of inmate and can state that spouse’s support will be of value during the inmate’s re-adjustment to the free world.

WHAT SHOULD SUPPORT LETTERS LOOK LIKE?
Like all formal letters, a support letter should make a good appearance. It should be typed if at all possible. It should be on ONE PAGE, if you can cover all you need to say in that length. Don’t ramble, talk about his/her childhood, or anything that is off the point. Keep it simple, keep it powerful and keep it positive. If the letter is from a business or professional person, it should be written on letterhead stationery.

WHERE AND HOW DO I SEND MY LETTER

All letters should be addressed to the:

Board of Pardons and Paroles, Review and Releasing,
P.O. Box 13401,
Austin, Texas,

There are two different viewpoints about HOW to send them. One belief is that each person writing a letter should send his/her letter separately and individually, so that the letters come in at random, and keep the file “stirring”. Others say that there is a better chance of letters getting “lost”, misfiled, or never arriving.

I have a third view (I usually do!). Combine both approaches. Have each person who submits a letter make a Xerox copy to give to you. Then you know exactly who has written, and who blew you off. Then about a month before the hearing, Xerox all of these letters and send them as a package, return receipt requested, to the Board! This will let you see who has written the strongest letters, and you can ask them for a follow-up if the parole is set-off.

I hope these suggestions will help you in your struggle to get your loved one home.

mandown
06-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi, I have made it to the small town of Lemesa, where my husband is incarcerated. His parole hearing is swet for December. If he makes it he will be out in March of 07. I am grateful for all the help I have found in the Prison Talk forum.

Crone
07-02-2006, 09:45 AM
BT2, I agree that the boiler plate letters don't work. I also think you have offered some good suggestions here.

I'm wondering, however, how the PB would take it if someone wrote "I am a voter in the State of Texas! I can and will exercise my right to remove from office the indifferent, the lazy, and the corrupt who ignore the voters of the state." I know if it were me I would see this as some kind of threat would would ignore it or maybe put on my Good Ol' boy hat and say -- hmmm, set off! I know they aren't supposed to do that but I could definitely see it happening.

jojacks
07-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Crone, I agree - I have wanted to put that exact statement in my letter, but afraid it will hurt his case more than help it!!!

Willsgirl
07-13-2006, 09:04 AM
A friends lawyer told her that is good to wait to send the packet after he has seen the IPO that way it will be on the top of everything. What do yall think?

Crone
07-13-2006, 07:49 PM
A friends lawyer told her that is good to wait to send the packet after he has seen the IPO that way it will be on the top of everything. What do yall think?

Most everything I have heard is to get the letters out at least 6 months BEFORE he meets with the IPO. Something about not wanting people to wait until the last minute to show your support. Perhaps others have heard something different.

Willsgirl
07-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Most everything I have heard is to get the letters out at least 6 months BEFORE he meets with the IPO. Something about not wanting people to wait until the last minute to show your support. Perhaps others have heard something different.

Not letters I am talking about the packet, I know not everyone does one, but for the ones that does. She said that way it will be on the top of everything.

Crone
07-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Not letters I am talking about the packet, I know not everyone does one, but for the ones that does. She said that way it will be on the top of everything.

I think I would have to give the same advice. Perhaps others will come here with a different viewpoint

brysgirl
07-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Should the support letters start now ( a year out ) from family and friends or wait till the time gets closer?

MoMo
08-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Should the support letters start now ( a year out ) from family and friends or wait till the time gets closer?

I would say to send in support letters at least 1-2 times a year and if there are any major changes that have happened with your loved one. IE: college degree, certificate complete (include copy of a cirtificate) etc....

bdyson
08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Thank you for all your response. I was just told I need to write a letter of support. My son is in Tx prison now for 1 year, and he goes up for a second parole hearing in November. I hope that I am not too late.

Artavia's Wife
08-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Man, I'm loving this. I'm getting some good information. The love of my life does not come up for parole until August 2007 and I was wondering the same thing. If I should start sending support letters now. I didn't want parole to think that we just started supporting him. He has been incarcerated sense January 2006 and it's taking a 1 year and 6 months for his first parole. Is that normal?

Texasfem
11-06-2006, 06:36 AM
This is great source of information. You are all so wonderful! here it goes, tell me. I am not in the situation of being able to send a support letter to the board because my son does not have a tdc number. what I want to do is start preparing one (letter) for when he gets transfered so that I can mail it out right away. Good or bad move? I have not yet decided if I will hire a parole attorney or do it myself but I think if they see he has family support from the start that it might be a positive thing and it will give me time to prepare the packet. I hope that is. he has been on state time now for over a year but resides in county waiting for transfer.

HELP...What should I do and where do I start?

Thanks for all your great advice!!

EmptyNest
12-01-2006, 11:08 AM
This is awesome! I just became a member a few days ago and I am learning so much. My husband's parole was denied in Aug.06. He got a 1 yr. set off. He is wanting his mother and I to put together a parole packet for him. I know there are some close friends who have sent support letters to the parole board. I can just assume. I really have no way of knowing if they did or not. How often should support letters be sent and can one person send to many?

blessing
12-29-2006, 02:56 PM
I just became a member on last week. And I'm needing information on how to prepare a parole packet. My love one comes up for parole in Mar.07. I need all the help I can get on getting him home. ALL OF YOU PLEASEEEEE HELP!

Kay
12-29-2006, 05:26 PM
blessing, in the Texas parole and probation of prison talk there are some example letters and info on how to prepare a parole packet. You will be able to find information there that will help you a lot. Good Luck! Katy

pojs
03-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi everyone. I am new here. My questions is that my fiance has been transfered to different prison from county to finally buster cole unit. We just finding out he is up for parole on 3/30/07. we found out recently online at the offender site on tdcj site. he has been transfered from our state in arkansas to texas from 11/06 til now where he is at. he is up for parole so fast caught us unguard. we are writing our support letters but from what i learned here i need to redo it, need help FAST!! so lost almost on a verge of a break down.

RobinsMan
03-02-2007, 09:36 AM
First, you might take a deep breath and calm down because if you are going by the PED on the offender search site then you still should have plenty of time to get support letters and parol packet together. Robin has been parole elligible since last October (PED) and, as her actual interview closes in, I am told that the earliest that her file will be in front of voters is the end of this month. It will probably take five months once they pull his file. Actually, since he's just now in it's not really so much "pull" as it is "build" his file. You can call the Board of Pardons and Paroles in Huntsville at 936-291-2106 and ask if his file has been pulled for review. Once it has you can call and ask where the file is. As long as it is in Austin or Huntsville he is not close to an interview by an IPO. Once it goes to a local board then you can worry about getting the whole package in to them but no one will be looking at letters, etc. until the file has all been typed up, formalized, checked by the IPO, sent to the voters and then once his file floats to the top of their pile. You can still send in a letter once they first pull his file so he'll have something in it but you shoud have plenty of time to get an entire packet together if he's not yet Parole Elligible.

Royce

pojs
03-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Ok I am a bit more calmer now. This is all new to me. So i am clueless from having someone on the inside when in the past i couldnt get any justice on the outside. Go figure. Ex hub tried to kill me got away with and fiance violated a parole for not reporting and he goes to jail, the irony in that.

LUVMYINMATE
04-05-2007, 09:53 AM
OK do i just keep sending random letters, and then before his PB decision maybe a month before do i send a whole packet, and what goes into this packet

Storm54
04-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi,

My daughter just went to Gatesville, Woodman State Jail. She violated her probation with one dirty UA at the Halfway House. They sent her there 3 weeks ago and her Parole review is on July 18, 2007. What all can we do to help with this. There isn't alot of time. Prisons are overflowing as you all know in Texas. I was informed she would probably stay at the State Jail for her time being there. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you....

ttopjenn29
04-15-2007, 10:17 PM
do any of you have a loved one that's in seg and going through the parole review process?

coffeemaker1
04-23-2007, 02:27 PM
My son is in GIST Unit in Beaumont and he is asking for support letters and a parole package. He doesn't write often so how can I find out when he is up for parole. I found the information on the support letters very helpful and will start on them. This is the first time I have had to do anything like this and hopefull it will be the last time in this life time.
Mom in Texas

lormur
04-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I would suggest that you call his parole board for authentic information.

MBB
04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I got a letter from my brother yesterday with a card from a
parole laywer that some of the guys in his unit have used. He
dosen't come up for his first hearing for 2 years. His name is
Paul Hampel out of San Antonio. I have mixed emotions about
hiring a laywer for parole. I have helped my boyfriend and
a family friend with their parole packets, they got paroled thier
first time. I don't think and from what I've always read on
here, they don't make alot of difference this attorney charges
$2,500.00 My brother's charge is a sexual assault charge
not agg. but in Texas even with no cases they serve the
biggest part of their time. Anyone that can tell me what they
think, I would appreciate it I want to do what's best and we
can get the money, but I beleive they read the support letters
your record at the unit,and make their decission on that.

MBB
04-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Lord, I found a website about different texas laywers,and
Paul Hampel was listed with his license suspended at one time
and multiple rule violations. But I would like any input from
people who have dealt with him NO TO HIRING HIM.

funtie8
04-26-2007, 05:11 PM
I have a good friend on this board that is getting scammed by a parole attorney from Dallas. I would just say it's not worth the money. You can do everything yourself and the inmate needs to write his/her own support letter. Everyone has to make their own decisions but I didn't use a parole attorney and we got approved on the second go around on an agg case. It's possible...with God all things are. He's the best attorney I know! Prayers going up for all under review!

Celest0721
04-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Hey guys I'm new at this so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I was reading on the parole preparation and I know my boyfriend is coming up for parole but don't know when where can I find this out. Also does it affect him in a bad way mentioning anything about his offense?

jojacks
04-30-2007, 01:09 PM
It will show on the inmate locater line when he is up for parole.
http://168.51.178.33/webapp/TDCJ/index2.htm (http://168.51.178.33/webapp/TDCJ/index2.htm)

The PB mainly wants to hear positive things - changes he has made, classes he has taken, attitude change and you need to show that he has a big support system. There is no need to bring up his offense - they know this. If you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Ashagirl
04-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I have heard that is good to outline a specific plan---a plan for how to be successful after incarceration.

Celest0721
05-01-2007, 07:35 PM
I looked on the inmate locator the parole date. My love was sentence Life with 35 yrs for parole. Now according to the parole handbook from what I understand he would have a review in a max of 15 yrs, is this usually correct. I called the board to ask but she told me no he would have to do 35 yrs, so me sending a support letter would just be waived. Can anyone advice.

funtie8
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM
It depends on which law he falls under. What year was his conviction?

Celest0721
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
he's in for cap murder he said 71st or 72nd

Celest0721
05-01-2007, 08:15 PM
he was convicted in 93

snowbunny&dummy
06-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Thank you for the info!

RobinsMan
06-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I looked on the inmate locator the parole date. My love was sentence Life with 35 yrs for parole. Now according to the parole handbook from what I understand he would have a review in a max of 15 yrs, is this usually correct. I called the board to ask but she told me no he would have to do 35 yrs, so me sending a support letter would just be waived. Can anyone advice.

After 9/1/91 he must do 35 years flat before becoming elligible for parole. That is in the parole handbook directly below but a couple of lines down from where it says "Maximum of 15 yrs."

Artavia's Wife
06-26-2007, 12:37 PM
:confused:
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY LETTER TO THE PAROLE BOARD? I HAVE STARTED WRITING IT AND HAVE GOTTEN STUCK. I WANTED TO SHOW THE PAROLE BOARD THAT THIS IS A RE-PEATED PROBLEM FOR MY BOYFRIEND BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN IN TDC TWICE NOT COUNTING THIS TIME FOR DRUGS AND COULD BE FIX WITH TREATMENT. THIS IS WHAT IVE WROTE

My name is Felicia Warren, I have known Artavia Kelly for 21 years and I am a close friend in the free world who cares a lot about his future life. I am writing this letter in the hopes of having an impact on your decision to Parole Artavia Kelly.
I have had the opportunity to visit with Artavia numerous times throughout his incarceration and have seen first hand the change in his mentality.
Artavia has been sentenced over and over for the same offense DRUGS.

I am asking the parole board to grant some kind of treatment program for his addiction instead of setting him off. Clearly just incarceration does not help. Along with the help that you can grant him I can promise you that I, along with other family and friends will continue to be there with our support when he is released back to the community.
Punishment for the behavior that the addition cause and has never been grant treatment to overcome this addition.

I have also given Artavia my free world input and guidance while he has been in prison. I know the good side to Artavia, and can help offset the bad side, which is in his criminal record.

aholeinmyheart
07-11-2007, 09:05 PM
My husband was just transfered last night,all of this is moving too fast for me.I dont now where to start but I do know i want him home.I visit this site often and see everyone helps,so could someone please help me I need my husband back home we have 4 kids under 7and our last son was 2 weeks old when he was arrested so i need to get him home to his boys asap.Please someone help me

Artavia's Wife
07-12-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure what type of help your needing. Help with what?

jojacks
07-12-2007, 09:00 AM
We need more into so we can help. Did he just go into the system, what is is sentence, when will he be elgible for parole, etc?

Brianwifey
07-12-2007, 08:47 PM
quick question, does the inmate need to write a letter themselves? if so does anyone have an example? i have seen all the other examples but not one from the inmate. please help. thanks a bunch!

Betos_Angel
07-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Okay, I need some help here. My fiance was given a 2yr set off in October of last year. I'm a little confused because everything was looking good for his release. When they told me that he was "DENIED", I asked why and they told me, "Nature of crime and not enough time served." I just found out about 3 weeks ago that his brother-in-law made some statements against his release and asked them to reconsider their decision should it be that they granted him parole. Can the statements his brother-in-law made really make that much difference that they set him off another 2 yrs? As for the support letters, it looks like I'm the only one who's going to be doing this because he has told his family that he didn't want their help. It's not like they ever helped him before. It took me nearly 3 months to get his sister to write a letter of support this last time around. Is it possible that I, alone, can convince them to release him to me? I don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

BrandNewGirl
07-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Yes, statements made against him at parole time can affect whether or not he's paroled. The parole board takes protests seriously.
As far as convincing them to release him "to you"...well, a parole plan will have to be approved before he can be released. I'm not sure the order in which this all works, as I've not done a parole package, but the parole board will want to see that he has a place to go when/if he's released. I'm sure someone who has done a parole package will come along soon to help answer your questions.

*Edited to add: Nature of the crime and not enough time served seem to be the reason for denial quite frequently. While 'nature of the crime' cannot be changed, the time served will only improve as time goes on.*

Nance

Betos_Angel
07-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Yes, statements made against him at parole time can affect whether or not he's paroled. The parole board takes protests seriously.

Okay, in the process of finding out what his brother-in-law did, I also found out that he, the brother-in-law, is a Registered Sex Offender. So what I'm reading is that my fiance's fate was determined by the words of a "man" who I wouldn't spit on if he were on fire to save his life. This person was convicted of molesting 2 boys 11 & 14 and now my fiance tells me that this person did it again to a boy that was 10 at the time!!! How can the system allow him to be out knowing that he preys on young boys? Yet, my fiance who has never been in trouble before this and has remained a role model for other inmates of what NOT to do, has to spend another year and a half locked up because this sex offender made comments against him. I just don't understand this at all.:(

MBB
07-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I may be of some help. So here goes. I helped with one packet
I did my boyfriends, (he got a F-1 on his first time and only served
11 months) and my brother is coming up the first time in 3 years
so I am starting on his now. First thing yes his brother in law's
statment can and probably did make a difference. So here's
what I would do start now getting support letters, you don't have
to be alot, each member spends about 10 minuites on their file.
Your boyfriend needs to write his own letter, stating what he
has learning to make the right choice once he is paroled. Don't
talk about your case per say just what positive things he has learned
(hard sometimes) then add the support letters. Now
here are the things they want to know
1. Employment when he is released, if he has a job or a PLAN
2. Support from the outside (you)
3. A place to live *he can put you down if that is what yall are
planning to do.
When he gets his F-1 you will get a call from the parole officer
in the county where he will parole to. This was about 3 weeks
before my boyfriend paroled out. They will want to make a home
visit. Then they will approve him coming home there or not.
If it's a yes then great, the back up plan is
if he dosen't have anyone else he will have to parole to a halfway
house (not good) a good friend of ours didn't have any family
that would let him come there so he was released to a halfway
house in Houston. It has been a constant struggle, crack addicts
right at the door. So hopefully they will approve your house.
But you need to start now with the parole packet. There is lots
of sample letters on this site that are great. Your boyfriend keeps
one, the IPO will get one (this person makes the biggest decision)
send one to Austin to the main parole board. Find out which board
he will go before then send packets to every member. You can
request a telephone interview, they usually don't do it but it
has been done. They don't have to be expensive folders
the clear kind from walmart another good idea and I am going
to do it is add pictures when your boyfriend was in the free world
probably best to have someone scan them into a computer then
they will be on regular paper. Gosh I have talked so much,
I hope I have helped some. Good Luck Oh heck I almost
forgot, wouldn't hurt in your boyfriends letter to add his brother
in law had made a statment at his last hearing. Look him up
on the Sex offender web site and include his record in the packet
at least they will know on paper who made the statment against
him.:thumbsup:

Betos_Angel
07-16-2007, 03:32 PM
MBB.....Thanks, that really helped. As for printing out the picture and crime committed by the brother-in-law, I had already printed it out and I just wasn't sure how I was going to use it. Thanks for the idea. I will get started on my fiance's parole packet. Would it hurt if his employment letter came from me? I mean, I work for an Insulation company and I am the office manager here and head of Human Resources. Should I sign it or have my assistant sign it being that she's also authorized to hire?

BrandNewGirl
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
First off, please remember that we have loved ones of SO's on this site. Nobody's crime is worse than anyone else's here..we are here to support EVERYONE.

Second, this is just my opinion, so take it with the grain of salt, but I would NOT include anything about the brother-in-law being a SO in your husband's parole pack. Reason being is that HE has nothing to do with your husband's parole. By that, I mean, it's honestly going to look to the PB like you are blaming someone else for your husband not making parole. You have no way to PROVE that is what kept your husband from getting parole. The PB is VERY big on responsiblity for the crime..accountability, if you will. Focus 100% on your husband-what he has accomplished while incarcerated, what his plans are for the future, etc. I would COMPLETELY blow off any reference to the brother-in-law.
As far as the offer of employment, I would have your assistant sign it. It could look fishy to the PB otherwise.

Please know I'm only offering my opinion. I'm not trying to bring you down, but I think most of the people here would tell you the same thing.

Nance

ttopjenn29
07-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Does anyone know of a good parole attorney?

Betos_Angel
07-18-2007, 09:58 AM
First off, please remember that we have loved ones of SO's on this site. Nobody's crime is worse than anyone else's here..we are here to support EVERYONE.

Ok, I failed to make myself clear in my reply earlier. I do not have a problem with all SO's because I know that there are different circumstances for each one. I do, however, have a problem with this one particular person. Being that I, myself, experienced molestation at the hands of an uncle, that is the reason I have so much hatred towards my fiance's brother-in -law. I'll leave it at that and not bring it up again.

As for not mentioning it in my fiance's parole packet, I'm going to leave that up to him. He has a good head on his shoulders and he's very good at getting his points across. Thanks for the advice though. ;)

MBB
07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Glad I could help, just to be on the safe side ask the
assistant to sign the letter about his job. Good luck
let us know how it goes.:thumbsup: I probably didn't make my self clear
not a picture of your brother in law, a picture of your husband when
he was in the free world. I'm big on responsibility too, and also know that is what
the parole board wants. But it's a shame when one person can write negative
things, I know I HAVE A RELATIVE WHO IS DOING TIME AS A SO. And yes
every circumstance is different. It wasn't rape, not a predator but a case of
him being just a little older than her, and getting mad and filing charges and
he is doing 15 years, so I have an open mind. Probably the board members
wouldn't see the majority of the stuff in his parole file. They spent about 10 min
on each file. The most important thing is making a good impression on the IPO
when he comes and interviews him. You do with the packet what you feel
comfortable with, that's the most important thing!!!!

Betos_Angel
07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
MBB: I know what you mean. I also have a cousin that did 2 years as a SO and it was simply because he was 2 years older than her. Her mother caught him in the daughter's room and filed charges on him. So that's why I know that every case is different. Thanks for your help. I've been through his last 3 set offs with him and I'm praying that this next one will be the time he comes home, if not, then it's right back to square one again. I do know that our FAITH and TRUST in GOD will continue to make us both strong enough to take on whatever is placed in our paths.

MBB
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Beto's Angel:

Keep your head up, You are absolutly right our faith in God is
the only thing that gets me through sometimes. I had a good
friend who did 11 1/2 years for the same thing as my brother
a little older, my brother is still doing his time. My boyfriend
has been to SAFP 2 times and a unit for 11 months. He is out
and we are still trying to find the right after care. We take it one
day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time. But you stay strong
and everything will work out. My boyfriend calls me an OAK, because
I have stood by him and I take care of all my brother business, I
really didn't understand that when he said it 3 years ago. But it is
the strongest tree. But believe me my faith in God has helped me through
the journey with TDCJ. Good Luck and God Bless:thumbsup:

TIMBABY1
06-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I Spoke To Someonenamed Larkin Who Works With I.p.o And Said To Handwrite Them And Mail Them To I.p.o Are We Screwed New His Case Is In Review Right Now

Lily7
09-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I became a member last week. I am very grateful for all the information I've been getting. My son is up for parole next year or sooner and I already sent out support letters. I will keep sending them as often as I can. All my family is supporting him and friends hope for the best. It has been very hard especially when he lost his only son. I have passed my days praying and I know that out there are alot of moms doing the same thing for their love ones.

shelly2003
10-16-2008, 09:56 AM
My brother just got transferred 2 wks ago. I was wondering when I should start mailing in support letters. HE is eligible for parole 2/5/2011.

exoffender2007
10-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Not sure if it will help or not, but a I came across parolepacket.com

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

mybabyd
11-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Okay, you all that have all the good information
My bf is in and he talked to a lawyer who said he needs to get his parole packet done now so he will be ready and get it up and stuff cause he would be eligible in a couple months....:confused:
do i need to get all these letters and sne dthem all at once?

who do i call and ask about his case being up for review?

where do i send these letters?

he is an SO case...do we need a lawyer?

how can i explain that he is like sorry for what he did and understands that it was wrong and wont reoffend?

similarly, should i explain any of the why about his violating his probation, like state the bad thing and then explain how that happened?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.:help: thanks you guys:thnx:

oh oh, Am i supposed to send more than one support letter per person? Do i really need to keep them each to one page?

kbugsgranny
12-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I just became a member today and i really want to thank you for your input. I have been trying for over a year to find something like this web site so i could get this info. I am so glad i came across it and again i thank you so very much.

Mrs jackson214
01-03-2009, 08:23 PM
OK I have a question, My hubby is in gurney unit in texas.Where do I send his support letters too?? Also how soon do I start sending them

lovingwesley
03-25-2009, 01:54 PM
my man hasnt pulled chaing as of yet. he got 20 years. should i start the letters now or what? he says now. what do you think!!!!!!!???????

shaneswife
03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I am new at this..... My husband was transfered to Travis County and has not been in the system but for 1 month now and is coming up for parole on May 24th, 2009. I need to make a packet and really don't know where to start! I want to make sure it is done properlly and make sure they get it in time...... Where shoud I start? And what should I do?????? Worried and frustrated...... :(

scchic
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Shaneswife-
Get started now!! It is pretty easy to do, but is extremely time consuming. The more time you have to work on it and get it together the better. First off I would start out with having him write a letter of support for himself, next you should write one in support of him also and then get some family and friends about 3-6 should be adequate to also write letters of support. Include in those support letters how they will offer their support to your husband whether it be financially, a place to live, transportation, a job, encouragement, etc. If you take at look around the parole section you can find some great samples and more information. I am finishing up mine right now so if you have any questions about it you can PM me if you like and I will try my best to help you. Good luck.

GraysonMom
03-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Shane's Wife, here is a link with examples of Parole Packets (Stickey's at top of page). They are not difficult to complete but get started now. They can be time-consuming and May is around the corner. You'll need his TDCJ#. It should show up on the Offender Locator site after he's processed into a regular TDC unit. The link to the Offender Locater is the last link. If you have pop-ups on, you'll need to disable them from your browser.

The Parole Packet is basically just an organized collection of support letters from pastor, friends, family, potential employer, Certificate (if he's earned any), family photographs, etc. His letter should focus on how he's going to succeed on parole, basically his release plan. Where he may gain employment, living agreements, transportation, and meeting parole requirements. His letter should indicate he accepts accountability for his actions and plans/goals to never repeat them again. He should hand write his letter (may need template from you) and send to you, to be forward to the Board. I always send my letters, Certified Registerd Return Receipt and retain the green card when received. You may or may not receive a letter from the Board stating they received your letters. I've received one letter from the Board stating they recieved my letter. So don't worry if you do not recieve a letter from them, you'll have the green card receipt.

The family, friends, and other support letters should indicate ways in which they will provide initial financial support, help with living arrangements if needed, transportation needs, and emotional support. The family/friends support letters, should contain the good attributes of the offender, that would make him sucessful if paroled. They are not difficult to complete and once you start them it is hard to keep the letter to one page. Hopefully JRSMom will be along soon. There are many examples of support letters, here on PTO, that other members have posted. Hope this helps and Blessings as always.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594 (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594)

http://168.51.178.33/webapp/TDCJ/index2.htm

GraysonMom
03-25-2009, 03:05 PM
my man hasnt pulled chaing as of yet. he got 20 years. should i start the letters now or what? he says now. what do you think!!!!!!!???????

Loving Wesley, you can start the packet anytime. With a twenty year sentence, I would wait until he's settled in a unit. Do you know what his charge was. Let us know and we will be happy to help. The parole packet instructions are posted above, as well as the Offender Locator Site. Sorry, I just seen your question and Blesssings as always.

Tammy R
05-30-2009, 06:58 PM
My boyfriend has written me recently from Middleton, and states to send the letters to an address that is listed as the Board of Pardons and Paroles, but the physical address he listed is off of shoal creek. I am a bit confused now as to the correct address to send it to.

GraysonMom
05-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Tammy, here is the Austin address. I sent my son's packet Certified Return Receipt, just to ensure they received them. Hope this helps and Blessings as always.

Texas Board of Pardons and Parole
P.O. Box 13401, Capitol Station
Austin, Texas 78711

iloveandrew
09-07-2009, 03:31 PM
i am so confused about all this parole stuff... my husband comes up in april 2010...he tells me to do the support letters and i been readin bout these packets too???

nurseyancey
01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
someone asked me about this from something i said earlier. Here are my views (which are similar to others.)

inmate support letters
as your loved one becomes eligible for consideration by the board of pardons and parole, there are many things that should be done to insure that he is not just a name and number to those people .it is just like selling a car. There a lot of them out there wanting consideration, but you have only so much time to spend while looking. The better you “sell” yourself, the better your chances are of being favorably considered.

The board considers hundreds of requests a month. They sift through a mound of paperwork every day, trying to discover those who are “really ready” to return to the free world, (and not prove an embarrassment to someone who voted for a violent recidivist).

what is a support letter?

support letters are proof that the offender now has, and will continue to have a network of friends and family to help when he or she is released. There are no rules, no format, no real requirement for one of these. But here are some guidelines and suggestions for you. Please use what fits your own special situation, as the board will not be very convinced of a “cookie-cutter” generic letter. Express yourself in the way that is personal and meaningful to you.

each support letter shows that:
A. I am a free world person who knows the inmate and cares about his/her future life.
B. I have given this inmate my free world input and guidance while he/she has been in prison.
C. I will be there with my support when he/she is released back to the community.
D. I know the good side of the inmate, and can help offset the bad side, which is in his/her criminal record. (which will be all that the board member sees otherwise.)
e. (i am a voter in the state of texas! I can and will exercise my right to remove from office the indifferent, the lazy, and the corrupt who ignore the voters of the state.)

everybody can write support letters

a. Immediate family members
b. Involved relatives; aunts, uncles, cousins
c. Close friends and loved ones
d. Respected members of your community, such as ministers, school teachers, religious teachers, businessmen, past and prospective employers, students, counselors, etc.
E. Your inmate’s tdcj supervisors or other people who have known him while in prison, such as the chaplain, counselor, teacher, volunteer from the community. (but remember that today, many wardens will not allow such letters to be written by staff members, or only after review by the warden).
F. People who know the spouse of inmate and can state that spouse’s support will be of value during the inmate’s re-adjustment to the free world.

what should support letters look like?

like all formal letters, a support letter should make a good appearance. It should be typed if at all possible. It should be on one page, if you can cover all you need to say in that length. Don’t ramble, talk about his/her childhood, or anything that is off the point. Keep it simple, keep it powerful and keep it positive. If the letter is from a business or professional person, it should be written on letterhead stationery.

where and how do i send my letter

all letters should be addressed to the:

Board of pardons and paroles, review and releasing,
p.o. Box 13401,
austin, texas,

There are two different viewpoints about how to send them. One belief is that each person writing a letter should send his/her letter separately and individually, so that the letters come in at random, and keep the file “stirring”. Others say that there is a better chance of letters getting “lost”, misfiled, or never arriving.

I have a third view (i usually do!). Combine both approaches. Have each person who submits a letter make a xerox copy to give to you. Then you know exactly who has written, and who blew you off. Then about a month before the hearing, xerox all of these letters and send them as a package, return receipt requested, to the board! This will let you see who has written the strongest letters, and you can ask them for a follow-up if the parole is set-off.

I hope these suggestions will help you in your struggle to get your loved one home.
thanks so much

toytoy01
01-14-2010, 01:51 AM
My guy when for po board already what should i do to help his case they decide in mid feb and info will great thanks

fan2dabone
02-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Hey everyone I have a question regarding parole. my girl has been eligible for parole since January 17th and when I called the local parpole board they told me they had pulled her file and that she would get interviewed within two weeks but it's been almost a month. every time I call to check they tell me the sane thing. Her IPO is in Huntsville, can anybody help me out here I'm getting desperate not knowing what's going on. She has three kids and we have one together and I am all they got right now is me and they keep asking when she coming home. I am trying my best but i haven't even been able to see her since she was moved to Plane jail, they told me i had to wait 30 days before she could send letters because that's how long the process takes. I don't even know if she has received any of my letters or j-pay emails i've sent her. can anybody help...

raewilliams05
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
My man comes up for parole mid june to mid july. I hired a lawyer too (Lori K Redmond). I was kinda iffy too but I decided that my mans freedom is well worth the $1900 that I payed. I am supposed to be getting some support letters ready but cant seem to put what I want to say on papers. I've got 2 letters from 2 different people already and 1 is from the victim!!! Do you think that will be a plus???

HisQueen4ever
12-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Where do the support letters and parole packets need to be sent to in Texas? Address plz :) thank you!

Renee
12-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Where do the support letters and parole packets need to be sent to in Texas? Address plz :) thank you!
I think it's best to send the parole packet (incuding the support letters) to the reviewing boad directly. You can go here (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_locations/brd_locations.html) to find the list of the different boards. Then click on "See Assigned Units" under each one until you find your loved one's unit. That's how you will know which board is going to review him/her. ;) Good luck!

CandyTx
01-04-2012, 03:09 PM
can you send support letters yearly even though your spouse isnt up for release for along time? does the board actually keep all the support letters if sent to them yearly ? just curious if im waisting my time or will it help in time?

Renee
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
can you send support letters yearly even though your spouse isnt up for release for along time? does the board actually keep all the support letters if sent to them yearly ? just curious if im waisting my time or will it help in time?
There are mixed opinions about this. The pb will keep everything you send, but remember that the board members get to spend VERY little time with each file. I think it's best to send one concise packet when he is in review with all of the important info, but other PTO members disagree. Good luck!

wynner
01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Is there a formal "parole packet" of information that specifies what should and should not be included in the mailing? If there is, where can one be obtained for those incarcerated in the State of Texas?

Renee
01-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Is there a formal "parole packet" of information that specifies what should and should not be included in the mailing? If there is, where can one be obtained for those incarcerated in the State of Texas?
Welcome to PTO! I'm glad you've found us! Each parole packet is individualized to the inmate, so there's no "formal" specifics to follow. I made ours by using the Stickys like this one in the TX Parole Preparation Forum (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594). There's lots of GREAT advice and examples there. I will provide links below. I wish you the best of luck!

Sticky: Welcome to the Texas Parole Preparation Forum (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168930)

Sticky: Texas Support letters – helpful tips (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154560)

Sticky: Texas Support Letter - Example (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224307)

Sticky: Texas Parole Packet and Several Examples (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224305)

Sticky: Sample Texas Parole Packet – Easy Format (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207030)

Sticky: Parole Preparation FAQ (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205005)

Melp
02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
As I've been reading about parole packets I have a question. Most of the advice I have read is for people serving longer sentences than my boyfriend will. He has 3 years tdc on possession of a controlled substance. So from what I've read he'll be up for his first parole hearing in 4-5 months. He hasn't left yet, he will be going in a few days. Should we start sending letters right away? What's the best way to deal with this if his parole sentence is that close to him going in?

IloveyouRuben
02-18-2012, 06:39 PM
As I've been reading about parole packets I have a question. Most of the advice I have read is for people serving longer sentences than my boyfriend will. He has 3 years tdc on possession of a controlled substance. So from what I've read he'll be up for his first parole hearing in 4-5 months. He hasn't left yet, he will be going in a few days. Should we start sending letters right away? What's the best way to deal with this if his parole sentence is that close to him going in?

IMO dont send anything until he has his interview with the IPO. That way the parole board will get everything around the same time...that's what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk