View Full Version : Suggestions On Writing/emailing Your Legislator

mrsdragoness
10-15-2005, 02:00 PM
I got my hands on A Citizens Guide to State Government the other day. It has a TON of information in it and I found some suggestions on writing or emailing your legislator.

1- ADDRESS IT PROPERLY. know their full name and the correct spelling.

US Senator
The Honorable (full name)
United States Senate
Address

Dear Senator (last name)

US Representative
United States Representative
Address

Dear Congressman/woman (last name)

State Senator
State Senator
State Capitol
P.O. Box 30036
Lansing, MI 48909-7536

Deat Senator (last name)

State Representative
State Representative
State Capitol
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

Dear Representative (last name)

mrsdragoness
10-15-2005, 02:17 PM
2 - ALWAYS INCLUDE YOUR LAST NAME AND ADDRESS ON YOUR LETTER.

3 - USE YOUR OWN WORDS. Avoid form letters and petitions as they will only get form answers. A well written letter in your own words will carry more weight than 100 form letters or printed postcards.

4 - TIME THE ARRIVAL OF YOUR LETTER - Try to send your letter while a bill is still in committee.

5 - KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT - Identify the bill or issue by its name or number (when applicable).

6 - BE REASONABLY BRIEF - Try to keep it to one page.

7 - GIVE REASONS FOR YOUR POSITION - Explain how the bill/issue affects you, your family, job, etc.

8 - BE CONSTRUCTIVE - If you think the bill/issue is wrong, explain the right approach.

9 - GROUPS AND INDIVIDUALS SHOULD DETERMINE THEIR PRIORITY CONCERNS - Address specific issues instead of every issue.

10 - YOU MAY NOT RECEIVE A LONG DETAILED RESPONSE - Legislators do not have time to address every letter in full detail.

11 - WRITE A LETTER OF APPRECIATION - If you think your legislator has done a good job, let him/her know.