View Full Version : deductions from inmates' trustfund account by county courts

gonnagetya
10-12-2005, 10:19 PM
FYI - County courts are now filing orders w/ TDCJ Inmate Trustfund and having deductions taken from inmates' accounts for: any fines assessed after conviction, court costs and court appointed attorney fees. The process?? The inmate's account is averaged for the previous six months and 20% of that amount is deducted from their account. Ten percent of each and every deposit made into their account thereafter is deducted from the account until PAID IN FULL!!!! I emailed the Houston ACLU concerning this matter but did not receive a reply. None of the larger counties(Harris,Jefferson,Tarrant,etc.) have picked up on this process as of yet but many, many smaller counties have. This is NOT something that Inmate Trustfund has any control over and does not believe is right. A court order has to be followed. Paying fines and court costs is one thing but paying for a court appointed attorney is another.:angry: If these inmates had money for an attorney they certainly would not have accepted the "services" of a court appointed attorney. Isn't it a constitutional right to "representation"? Calling Inmate Trustfund is NOT the answer - they are just following court orders and they are NOT allowed to give you information about an inmates' account. If your loved one has had money deducted from his/her account, they are the only ones who can get information from Inmate Trustfund. They can send a letter to the trustfund to get information about the deductions.

Silva
10-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Do you know exactly which counties are doing this?

key jo
10-13-2005, 07:26 AM
I hate to say it but child support can be deducted also (rarely is it done). So, I guess I'm not shocked. Other states do it and it means they get their money. But, TDCJ needs to start paying the inmates for work if they are going to allow it to be done. Another way to hit the families for more money.

sharon60
10-13-2005, 07:57 AM
key Jo......you got that right......they need to pay them if their going to that!

Silva
10-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Absolutely Kerri.

whiteflower
10-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Is this done at county jails or in actual TDCJ facilities? Also, my first reaction to this is that it's not right. However, taking a small percentage to pay this now while they're in there can help lower the amount that will eventually have to be paid when they do get out and come home. But, that would only help someone that received a lot of money in their account. And if their fines,court fees, etc was some sort of huge amount then it wouldn't lower the amount that was due that much anyway. Most of us don't have the means to do that. And yeah, I hate the fact that Texas inmates do not get paid anything for the labor that is done.