View Full Version : quick question re: 'Forfeit of Good Time'

witchlinblue
10-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Now Im a little confused about the 'good time' thing in Michigan. I understood Good Time is not a factor as far as release dates anymore, right ? Well how come on a recent Security reclassification notice my husband received recently it says as one of the disiplinary recommendations: 'Forfeit of all Good Time' ? I seem to remember that they still log it just in case it comes back into effect but it isnt actually relevent presently. Could someone just go over that again or refer me to a posting explaining this just so I understand how this could effect my husband or not effect him now or in the future ? Thanks !

zhane
10-12-2005, 09:46 PM
It depends alot on whether or not your loved one was sentenced before or after Truth In Sentencing. Before they changed the law it was known at good time but once the law went to effect it became known as disciplinary credits which if the individual stays out of trouble and don't receive any tickets they get so much time that comes off there max date.

witchlinblue
10-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Well he is recently in on new charges but still serving charges stemming from 1996. I dont think they had that then did they ? Im pretty sure 'good time' has never come up in all these years and this is the first time Ive seen it on any of his paperwork. He sends me everything he ever gets and Ive gone threw all of it back to 1996 and I dont see any mention of it prior to now.

zhane
10-12-2005, 11:29 PM
More than likely your hubby's counselor could answer that question but I will say that if he is still serving time from a previous charge they may want him to forfeit his good time earned from that specific charge since it is from 96; Truth In Sentencing didn't come into effect as law until the end of 90's. So maybe it would say something related to good time on his old paperwork.

LeaAnn
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Well my friend has been locked up since 1997 and he is under the "good time" because it is later like in 98 or 99 when TIS went in effect.