View Full Version : Prison Terminology and Slang 101

javagirl
10-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi all-

I would like to start a thread for new users that compiles all of the new words, acronyms, and slang prison terms that we are all learning along the way. Hopefully this thread will lead to a de-coding of all the new words and terms people come across when they begin communicating with their loved one that is in the system. I am still kinda new to all this, but I wanna know what a kite is. Can we start with someone explaining that? Please add to this thread all that you know and hopefully it will grow to be a resource for all new members.

-javagirl

venicespirit
10-06-2005, 08:31 PM
A kite is a message sent from one inmate to another. They can be sent within one prison, or from one prison to another.

pdxb
10-08-2005, 10:30 AM
In Oregon a kite is a communication sent by an inmate to request info, med. services, counsler, apply for a job, etc. It is an official form of communication for the inmate. My wife has always refered to communications she recieves from other inmates as a letter. It would be interesting to see how some of these slang terms vary from state to state

Joshswife1980
10-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Correctional Officers are often reffered as "The Man", Turn Keys, or Flashlight Cops.

Snitch, Im sure we all know what this means. To tell on another inmate

CRI, "Confidential Reliable Informant" An inmate who consistently tells the guards what is going on and whos name doesn't have to be placed on an incident report. Instead it is labled as CRI

zoom zooms and wham whams... Little Debbie Snack Cakes

O.C. An inmate is refered to this if he is "Out of Control"

missinmibabe
10-08-2005, 10:47 AM
i dont know much of the slang or what it means..i know fish is how they describe a newbie...but i had a question myself does anyone know what on%75m means?

Vaquera111
10-11-2005, 01:35 AM
As a former inmate in Oregon and with a loved one inside, I had to add to this thread. A kite is not a letter to other inmates. it is a communication form for inmates to make any and all requests to medical, work, all administration and counselors. It is a poor system at best and sometimes takes weeks for responses.
Snitchs are actually called rats, and CO's are called pigs, cops or just CO's.
I've been down 2 years, means I've been locked up for 2 years.
The day you were arrested becomes "the day I fell"
Canteen is what inmates can order goodies and hygiene products from.
Chow is food, Chow hall is the dining room and ghetto chips are popular snacks made with top roman, cooked or burned crispy, yuck!
So put money on your loved one's "books" or account so they can eat something good for a change. Take care all, God I hate prisons:angry:

nightbird
10-11-2005, 06:51 AM
I didn't know what it means when my fiance says someone "checked in under his name". I found out the person went to Protective Custody and said they were scared of him and then he gets investigated. He also calls crazy people Bugs.

Ravenslove
10-11-2005, 07:50 AM
geeked- drank to much coffee
foxy-coffee koolaid mix drink
good lookin out- thank you
checked in or pc'd-placed themselves in protective custody
fi fi- masterbation device for men
kite- request sent to the MAN
MAN- c/o or person of authority
Gunslinger- someone who masterbates to female c/o's
mash-to eat

There is also another thread that has a bunch of these as well. Nice to see more information.

javagirl
10-11-2005, 08:12 AM
thanks for your post!
can you also post the link to the other thread you mentioned?
is it in the oregon forum?

thnx
javagirl

Ravenslove
10-11-2005, 08:49 AM
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52013&highlight=prison+slang

here is the link. Some of it is so funny.

DeborahaMcD
10-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the slang words, I sure have been learning alot on this website, thanks everyone, you guys are great!!!

No escape from reality
10-12-2005, 06:15 PM
I work at a Juvenile Detention Center, but here are some that we use:

CSS = CO= CCO Custody Services Staff; Corrections Officer; Community Corrections Officer Also known as "Staff."

SO = Sex Offender

RAD = Recovery from Alcohol and Drugs

Kite = Request sent to staff for services (i.e. medical, dental...)

Med ISO = Suicide watch room / medical isolation

MERF = Medical Request Form (I don't know what the "E" stands for...)

Detention = prison = jail

That's all I can think of right now. I'm glad you started this thread. I'm always hearing slang that I don't know what it is...

No escape

javagirl
10-27-2005, 04:36 PM
just learned a new term last night:

shock collar= the inmate that runs the show, otherwise known as kingpin

Ravenslove
10-29-2005, 07:41 PM
is it shock collar? I have heard of shot caller. meaning the person who is in charge of a group.

jewellsprincess
10-29-2005, 08:00 PM
tree jumper here is a baby raper..........5/0 or po po is police...........stand corrected means tell the truth about something.............hmmmmmmm i will think of more.........

nimuay
10-29-2005, 08:39 PM
"Moving the furniture"- it's what we do out here to keep going - repainting, buying new sheets, getting a different place to live. It makes them nutty because they know they're not coming home to the same stuff - time has in fact passed.

rainyfalls
11-05-2005, 06:56 PM
A shank is a knife made by a inmate. Fish is a young, new to the system, inmate. A missle is when one or more inmates send another inmate to hit another inmate.

Mrs.Miner
10-28-2010, 12:18 AM
lope :: envelope. obvious but odd .. the first time he said that to me, i was like "uh .." lol. on the outs means not in prison. ride or die is someone whos willing to stick it out with their inmate through thick or thin.

Brenna513
10-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Here's a few more
torpedo= the guy sent by the shot caller to get a painful message across to another inmate.
Meat Gazer= (not hard to guess) the guy that looks at all the other guys junk.
Lock it in= word of honor. place Knuckles against the other inmates & turn.
PC up= if an inmate is told to do this he is in danger & needs protective custody.
Mine has learned all kinds of other stuff as well that he better forget when he returns to the "Real World"= home or outside the prison walls

mygummybear
11-10-2010, 03:25 AM
That's funny, Brenna, My husband tells me to "Lock it in" all the time at visit and we do the knuckles thing.. of course we've added a thumb kiss.. but I had no idea that was a prison thing!! I'm glad you shared!

The only slang I can thing of that hubby has said in a while is "car" as in a group of people that hit the weight piles together... I think that's right.. I'm such a dork when it comes to all that slang stuff.. I'm not "bad" like all his "homiedawgs".. He's much cooler than me :)

Brenna513
11-10-2010, 04:52 AM
That's funny, Brenna, My husband tells me to "Lock it in" all the time at visit and we do the knuckles thing.. of course we've added a thumb kiss.. but I had no idea that was a prison thing!! I'm glad you shared!

The only slang I can thing of that hubby has said in a while is "car" as in a group of people that hit the weight piles together... I think that's right.. I'm such a dork when it comes to all that slang stuff.. I'm not "bad" like all his "homiedawgs".. He's much cooler than me :)
Car does not exactly equal group of guys hitting the weight piles together when my Hubby & his friends say it. Look at the tips of your hubby's fingers & see if they have nicotine stains. I know that is what it means when my hubby's friends say something about getting in the CAR together.
I know another reason why they do the lock it in thing too. No one wants to shake hands for hygiene reasons as well. Some guys are pretty nasty about not washing their hands.
My son refuses to do the lock it in thing with anyone except his dad. He says in the Real World we have to shake hands with people. I agree with my 12 year old & refuse to do that lock it in thing with my husband.

dop
11-10-2010, 09:19 AM
How about that for a name for the non-profit "Lock it In" :)

Scott
11-10-2010, 10:40 AM
How about that for a name for the non-profit "Lock it In" :)

Mildly creative - but from a fund-raising, "connect to the wider world" standpoint - it's too esoteric - not a wide-enough connection. When someone asks you about your organization, you want to explain the organization, not the name.

Then, ideally, people should have an "ah ha" moment of connection with the name. That sets an immediate positive tone with people on both a conscious and sub-conscious level.

Also, evaluate the difference between a "non-profit" designed for inmate educational purposes, and a Foundation...

dizzlezwifey
11-22-2010, 01:16 AM
ok i know allot lol... so some are just weird and gross some are kind of kool

jiggs: is what an inmate says when a co or ne authority comes,
hit lick: means they took someones stuff like stole
PUNK: very disrepectful word DO NOT call ne one that lol i learned that the hard way
click click: is there deorderent (idk if i spelled that right) cuz when you turn the wheel it does click click
droping a gangster: is they took a crap (haha)
dubbs: is some sort of pills
fefe: is a thing they make to please themselves
spread: is when they gather all their food up and toss in a garbage bag and make food.
looked at their papers: is what they do to maksure ur not a sexoffender
"ya smell me": means you feel me

I thats all i can think of right now I know i know more i just cant think of them all...

sweetlilcowgirl
02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Does any one know what C. O. P. means?

TLAn4ever
02-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Continued on parole. That's a good thing, it usually means that even if they messed up, their parole officer is not sending them back to prison. :)

Scott
02-08-2011, 11:35 PM

A transitional verb defined as

1. To take unlawfully without permission.
2. To "Score"
3. To get a hold of, gain or win (Copped a ticket to a game show)
4. To take or catch...(he copped a feel)

A phrasal verb...

5. To Cop out, or to Cop a Plea...

But maybe what TLAn4ever wrote too...would depend on the context. And whether the periods were actually there.

Zelda50
02-09-2011, 07:05 PM
I think it's likely Continue on Parole if the periods and capital letters are there.

But, to continue Scott's post.

Cop = prison guard or police officer.

Just for additional info: In federal prison, a "kyte" (a written request by an inmate) is called a "cop out."

afirsttimer
02-09-2011, 07:30 PM
In Cali a spread is top ramen noodles with other stuff added in it like beans or crab meat. They make spreads on the streeet.

Touch the land means when you get out.

Kendra79
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Seems some are different in different facilities...."Kites" in the indiana women's system were love letters between girlfriends and yep, they got confiscated on the regular.:haha: The ramen messes were called "slams". Those are the only ones I remember, tho. Oh "blueberries" were the freshy-fresh girls and intake was "big birds"(due to the color of our jumpsuits).

Laramie23
02-09-2011, 09:51 PM
My "state" friend say a spread is any meal made by the inmates, not regular meals, but meals they throw together, doesn't have to have Ramen noodles. And that a "kite" is a small, secret message from one inmate to another.

My federal friends say: A "boy" is someone who's gay. A "punk" is a snitch. A "cop" is anyone in law enforcement, including correction officers.

The "hole" is SHU or Ad/Seg; however, my friend in the Federal Supermax says for him "the hole" is a small room, with a bucket to piss in that they're thrown into with nothing but their underwear, and they can be kept there for days or even weeks.

Scott
02-10-2011, 12:31 AM
In Oregon DOC a "Kyte" is any communication between an inmate and anyone else...between prisoners and prison staff (inmate and counselor, for example) it's a standard form, the official name is "Inmate Communication Form" and is the same from institution to institution. Virtually everyone in the system refers to them as "Kytes" - and inmates have no question about what this means, and what form to use.

"Shoot me a kyte"... Heard it a THOUSAND TIMES......such memories...

supadupaalex18
05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
anybody know what it means to be a bookie in jail?

Scott
05-30-2011, 06:09 PM
anybody know what it means to be a bookie in jail?

Someone who makes book (takes bets) on sporting teams or events. In means the same thing outside too...:)