View Full Version : What can you mail to an inmate in a Texas Prison?

jenandGer
10-02-2005, 01:30 PM
I have a question my husband who is in a Texas prison wants me instead of sending him some money for paper and envelopes he wants me to buy it online. He says that the commissary paper and envelopes are too expensive. My question is where can I buy online paper and envelopes to send to him? And also what other kind of stuff can I send him?

MoMo
10-02-2005, 01:55 PM
The best place is Home Depot. You can send him paper, enevelopes, legal pads (No staples in the legal pads) you can send him tracing paper, carbon paper.

You are limited to paper and envelopes only.

You can also send him books from publishers like Barnes and Noble or Borders.

I hope this helps. If you search the Texas forum you will find tons of information out there on what you can do.

timber_fairy
10-02-2005, 05:12 PM
You can also find a used book store online and order book from there to send to him. I use amazon.com for all his items, like paper and envelopes also books and calendars.

BrandNewGirl
10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
The best place is Home Depot. You can send him paper, enevelopes, legal pads (No staples in the legal pads) you can send him tracing paper, carbon paper.

You are limited to paper and envelopes only.

Mo, you must have been sleepy..it's Office Depot, not Home Depot! :D Think they'd give us a hard time about shipping home repair materials! ;) :p

If you need the Office Depot Special Orders number, it's 1-888-819-7272.

Nance

Bronc05
10-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Rememeber that whatever you send to him, he - most likely - will have to stay at the receiving point and write his name and TDC number on each and every envelope and stationary page he gets - which could take a lot of time on orders of 500 or such!!

sharon60
10-05-2005, 12:40 AM
just don't make the mistake i did....i ordered paper and it had staples in it! now got to send money to get it sent back........and reorder! thats what my boyfriend says too.....its too high in the commisnsary. It kinda depends on what prison he is in , on what you can send. some allow stickers and stuff like that,and others don't. Just remember,can't send stamps!

Mike1963
10-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Try www.paperandstuff.net (http://www.paperandstuff.net) they have 50 enevelopes for $1.99 some games journals and more. Its texas based and is ran by a former inmate.....

Bronc05
10-05-2005, 05:54 PM
just call ahead of sending and be specific - especially about books. For example, I wanted to send my homito "Scarlett" by margaret mitchell - (sequel to "gone with the wind" ) - they (Beto) did not have it on their 'approved list" and told me they would have to read the book befoe making a decision.

What a great job!

sharon60
10-06-2005, 02:04 AM
mike1963 .......thanks for the website!!!!!!!!

jenandGer
10-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Rememeber that whatever you send to him, he - most likely - will have to stay at the receiving point and write his name and TDC number on each and every envelope and stationary page he gets - which could take a lot of time on orders of 500 or such!!

Thanks everyone you have been truly helpful. And a special thanks to Bronc05 :thumbsup: because I almost orderd 500 envelopes :eek: . I dont thank my hubby would be to happy about that :) .

Mike1963
10-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Sharon60

You are very welcome.I hope to see you sometimes in the chatroom.Texas chat is on monday nights.

Bronc05
10-06-2005, 09:04 PM
glad to help Jena

textigr
05-20-2006, 12:08 PM
You can also contact Inmatepaper.com. We know what the men and women are allowed to receive. You can purchase smaller quantities here than you can from other major retail chains. I started this company because I could not afford to send in bulk to my husband. Our prices are affordable. Our web site is still under construction but we are up and running minus the photos. Hope this helps.

scarlettmom7872
05-28-2006, 05:05 PM
You can send used books thru Amazon.com, and there is usually no problem. You can send inmatepaper.com, if you have lots of time and patience. Even the smallest orders with them take days to a week to ship and they do not communicate very well regarding when they ship. There is also Rosiesgraphics.com
She ships priority and my stuff always goes out the same day the payment is received and hubby gets it in 2 days, she also provides a tracking number. Her stuff is a little more expensive, and she doesn't have the plain paper and stuff that inmatepaper.com does. Also, she has sketch pads which so far none of the other vendors have, for us that was a real bonus, cause they are out of this world pricey at commisarry. Hope this helps. Also, there is the inmate book project that will mail your stuff for you if you include stamps or money for postage. They also take a little while to get the stuff mailed out as it is a non profit, volunteer based group. However, if you wanna get the stuff there asap, you can pay for the express shipping and they will mail it that way. If you need anymore info, please p.m. me. I have used all that I have mentioned and heard some scoop on a few others that are out there.

jenandGer
09-29-2006, 12:41 PM
can you send them letters with stickers on it? What about water paint pictures. Our daughter had made her daddy a picture with water paint but I dont know if I can send it to him. Also can you send them clippings out of a newspaper?

jessnkat
09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
You can TRY letters with stickers - I've sent them in the past and sometimes he'd get them with stickers and other times, they'd peel the stickers off......when I found out they were doing that, I plastered a letter with stickers to keep them busy! LOL!! Didn't work - they didn't give him the letter.

You can send newspaper clippings depending upon the content - I never had any problem with my husband getting them when I sent them.

I don't know about water color pictures though - hopefully someone here will......

Kay
10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I have sent newspaper clippings several times without any problem. I would call the mail room at your husbands prison and ask about the water paint pictures and stickers. I know your little girl would be dissapointed if they sent them back. Katy

rhero
11-15-2006, 12:22 PM
My guy is at amarillo, I have sent him water colour pictures before. Usually on those little postcard sized pages and he has gotten them. I would assume (but you know how that goes) that if they allow water colour pictures made by adults that they would allow water colour pictures made by children.
But, I think a lot of it depends on who is working the mail room the day it goes thru. : /

liltita
11-15-2006, 07:18 PM
My loved one is in the amarillo unit and gets everything I send him. Which to me seems kind of odd. I have sent him many pictures, newspaper clips, magazine clips and plenty of pictures that our son drew. He gets everything. The only issue he has is that the mail takes forever for him to get. I hope they don't sit there and read everything I tell him, cause boy are they in for a lot...:D :D :D :D