View Full Version : Bill introduced in House regarding parole

mi_girl_2004
09-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Yesterday the House introduced a bill which is a proposed amendment to MCL 791.235 which would REQUIRE that the parole board grant parole to any prisoner who has served his or her minimum time without any major misconducts and doesn't pose a threat to public safety. The relevant changes are on the last page of the Bill.

HB 5224 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2005-2006/billintroduced/house/pdf/2005-HIB-5224.pdf)

Jenny
:D

whisper248
09-28-2005, 09:52 AM
there is a lot of things being introduced regarding corrections department right now, this being one of them, hopefully there is something good going to come of it all, I for one and hoping to see some movement here and hopefully soon. this is a good one to be considered and hopefully will be. praying for some changes to the tis laws also.

october
09-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Sounds good but the parole board gets around it by saying in their BS letters of denial that "they are not sure that the prisoner wouldn't be a menace to society." My husband has done all required and has had no majors, plus they have denied him twice without even seeing him. It just seems that they need to add some more specific wording to this to ensure guys really eligible, get their dues back that they put into getting out and not denied because of the parole boards half-witted psych eval.

dmpdbd
09-28-2005, 06:22 PM
This is the exact same bill which was introduced a year ago by Rep. Kolb. I presume the previous bill died in committee. We must make an effort to write these committees and let them know our interest in having these bills passed!!!!!

whisper248
09-28-2005, 06:27 PM
I have never written such a letter but is someone can give me some clue as to how to word it i would be more than happy to write one. Anyone out there with some knowledge in this area?

AvengingAngel
10-01-2005, 09:11 AM
What you want to keep in mind, Whisper, is to keep your letter on point and unemotional. Why is the bill good for Michigan? What would be the benefits to the state if it were passed? Don't think in personal terms, such as, "I want it to pass so my husband/boyfriend can come home sooner." Sure, that's what you want, but that's not what you want to say in your letter. Our representatives look at the big picture and what's best to the state as a whole. Focus on that, be polite, check spelling and grammar, and keep it simple. It may help to have a friend or relative proof-read your first letter before you send it, to give you another perspective.
There are examples of written testimony regarding bills that are currently in committee here (http://house.michigan.gov/committeeinfo.asp?lstcommittees=judiciary). Look at the drop-down list at the bottom of the page for some ideas of what to write and how to word your letter. Best of luck!