View Full Version : I'm going to federal womens prison - need information

clelsintrouble
09-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey I am a 21 year old good looking girl, I am very scard I have never been intouble before. A few wrong moves landed me in a medium security federal prison for 2 years. I do not know what to expect. What happens when I arrive, What restraints are used and are they used all the time when you are in? What happens dunring booking? Is there a strip/cavity search. What are cloths like do you get a bra? The biggest thing i am scared about is people say you turn gay for the stay is that true? Please help one very scared girl...

Thanks,
Chelsea

haswtch
09-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Sssssshhhhh, hon, breathe! there are people in the federal forum who know ALL about this and it is not as bad as you're thinking!

PTO-29412
09-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Moved this to the federal forum, should get great answers here!

Cinammo
09-28-2005, 06:04 AM
Welcome to PTO.

Here is a link that will keep you busy for awhile and will give you all the information you ever wanted about a Federal Prison for Women.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50568

ajap
09-28-2005, 06:10 AM
Prison is a great equilizer - being "good looking" has nothing to do with it and you'll be surrounded by women with every look you can imagine. You'll have full and total say about being "Gay for the stay".

clelsintrouble
09-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Does anybody know what I sohould expect for restraints and when are they used.How long does intake take and what happens? What is the clothing like? Does anybody know if you get a real bra or sports bras? What is life in a Medium security facility like vs. Low or max?

Thanks,
Chelsea

titantoo
09-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Cannot give you any information you wanted, sorry, but I want to welcome you to PTO. It is a wonderful place full of kind, generous and knowledgeable people who will do their utmost to help and support you when they can.
I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will respond soon.

dianna4444
09-29-2005, 12:55 AM
If you try to get self surrender, I think transport will be much more comfortable. Self surrendering means no hancuffs, and no conair, unless you get transfered. I have read you just walk in and get no restraints.

Strasse
09-29-2005, 02:05 AM
If you are transferred within the Federal system (to/from county jails or between facilities), here's roughly what to expect:

http://freechantal.com/chantaldocs/20000912j.htm
http://www.freechantal.com/chantaldocs/20010326u.htm
http://www.freechantal.com/chantaldocs/20030904u.htm
http://www.freechantal.com/chantaldocs/20011015u.htm

titantoo
09-30-2005, 12:42 AM
If you are transferred within the Federal system (to/from county jails or between facilities), here's roughly what to expect:

http://freechantal.com/chantaldocs/20000912j.htm
http://www.freechantal.com/chantaldocs/20010326u.htm
http://www.freechantal.com/chantaldocs/20030904u.htm
http://www.freechantal.com/chantaldocs/20011015u.htm

This is what the British House had to say about the Chantal in question and US "justice"

SENTENCING OF CHANTAL McCORKLE 21:2:05
Mr Tom Clarke
Jeff Ennis
Bob Spink
Dr Vincent Cable
Peter Bottomley
John McDonnell
* 20 Lynne Jones Mr Michael Clapham Mr Paul Tyler Paul Flynn Mr Win Griffiths Mr Kelvin Hopkins
That this House notes that Chantal McCorkle, a British citizen, was sentenced to 24 years and four months imprisonment in the United States for offences which might carry only a suspended sentence in the UK; further notes that the judge who sentenced her in 1999 expressed disquiet at the sentence that she felt obliged to give; further notes that recent cases of Blakely and Booker in the United States Supreme Court cast doubt on the sentencing guidelines then used and give grounds for an appeal; and urges the Government to support Chantal's lawyers and press the United States legal system to hear Chantal's appeal against sentence as expeditiously as possible and to ensure that no barriers are placed to Chantal's transfer to the UK to serve whatever remaining sentence she has after her appeal.
You may also want to take a look at

http://www.freechantal.com/frames/index.htm

David
09-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Chelsea,

Why do you think you are going to a medium security federal prison? You said that you have never been in trouble before and that you have a sentence of 2 years. This sounds much more like a camp sentence to me. Have you gotten your designation paperwork from the BOP yet with a self-surrender date? If so, what prison are you going to and what level?

If you can give us more info we can probably give you some more specifics.

Hang in there,
David

Hey I am a 21 year old good looking girl, I am very scard I have never been intouble before. A few wrong moves landed me in a medium security federal prison for 2 years. I do not know what to expect. What happens when I arrive, What restraints are used and are they used all the time when you are in? What happens dunring booking? Is there a strip/cavity search. What are cloths like do you get a bra? The biggest thing i am scared about is people say you turn gay for the stay is that true? Please help one very scared girl...

Thanks,
Chelsea

David
09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Does anybody know what I sohould expect for restraints and when are they used.How long does intake take and what happens? What is the clothing like? Does anybody know if you get a real bra or sports bras? What is life in a Medium security facility like vs. Low or max?
Thanks,
Chelsea

This depends on a number of factors...

If you are out pending surrender, you will probably never get shackled down completely unless you are transferred while in custody.

You most likely will never be cavity searched, though they can if they really wanted to.

Please check some of the links provided in this thread for general and specific information and then let us know about your designation, etc.

Where you are going makes a difference on how you are treated.

clelsintrouble
10-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info soo far. This is a very messy case.Only getting a two year setence is part of a plea for me working for the prosicution on another case. My lawyer and the DA said that at setencing I will be taken into custody and be at the county jail for about 1-2 weeks. Then they said I would be transfered to a medium security facility. You you please help me out with what I can expect in the worst case situation. And my friend told me because I am involved with a drug case I would be cavity searched is that true? Does anybody know what I should expect for restraints and when are they used. How long does intake take and what happens? What is the clothing like? Does anybody know if you get a real bra or sports bras? What is life in a Medium security facility like vs. Low or max?

Thanks from a Scared girl,
~Chelsea

David
10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
I will let some of the other ladies here that have been through the different custody levels in the feds talk more about it..

I'm not quite sure why you will be taken into custody after sentencing unless they think you are going to flee or that was part of the deal you and your lawyer worked out. Generally, those that make bond and don't have a lot of time are allowed to self-surrender. Of course, only you know your particulars..

cjjack
10-05-2005, 12:28 PM
I was in 4 facilities, the first being an FCI. The others were canmps. I was never, ever, cavity searched and mine was a drug offense.

If you are trans[ported by con-air, you will be handcuffed and belly-chained, and shackled. Intake really depends on how many people they have to process. I got to Bryan at 2 p.m. and was not sent to my unit until 9:30 p.m. Other places it was very quick. They strip-search you, take your picture, you see someone from medical, they ask you some questions, you sign some papers.

It depends on where you go as to whether you get sports bras or regular bras. If this is a big concern, pm me for more info.

DaveMoff
02-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Not sure quite what to tell you....I have known several women who have been in prison (everything from minimum security to Death Row) and not one has ever mentioned "having to turn gay"--I don't think you need to worry.

Cavity searches probably depend on the mood of the guards on a particular day as much as anything else. I spent four weekends in jail several years ago and was searched differently each time I arrived, though I never once got the infamous "finger wave".

Remember always that you own your personal dignity and that no one can take that from you, though prison staff are noted for trying and are hardly likely to be supportive. Learn who your friends are, try not to stand out from the crowd, and be good to yourself. I wish you well...may the time pass quickly and and easily as possible.

blondegrl
02-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Hey chels I am in the same situation as you we just need to keep out heads high... But I a curious what happens in reception are you processed alone or in a group what is the process in a strip search and I heard at Ritkers you get a breast exam does that happen? And what is the clothing like i heard you get a dress?

newton98
02-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Greetings

I was in FCI in the early 90's. When we arrived we were taken into the processing area and filled out a huge amount of papers, We were then assigned numbers and housing units, Then we were taken one at a time for the strip search and given a uniform that fit, bedding, and anything we were allowed to bring in that we had with us, like piece of paper with addresses and our eye glasses etc. There was no cavity search, however, they made us squat and walk like a duck and turn around and spead out butt cheeks and bend over.

We then sat in a different area with more papers until everyone has been stripped and issued stuff. Then they divided us up by housing unit and walked us over to our housing unit.

Total orientation took a number of days. You are told when and where to report for your inprocessing over the next few days. You are taken to the laundry and issued three sets of blue shirts & pants and one skirt that was black, undies and bra I think three sets, and two white mens t-shirts. Every three months you could go to laundry and get a set of new undies and t-shirt. We were also given field jackets, military surplus. They gave you work boots and the commisary sold tenis shoes and shower shoes. You need the shower shoes foot fuckies run rampent in the BOP.

You will hear a speech by the warden, be given rule books, take basic skills tests ( math and english) and eventually get a complete physical which includes a blood test and pap. I can't rember if they get a urine drop too but they probably did. You also get a dental exam and eye exam and a head exam which includes a number of psychological tests and I believe an iq test.

You even get a tour and a lecture about all the great programming they have for you to rehabilitate yourself during your stay.

When I was there they was a lot of stuff to do on your free time. Movies on the weekend, plays if your into acting, talent shows. Raquet ball courts inside and out, a full gym, a track. They even had unit baseball teams. I am not sure if they have weights or not anymore.

Everyday that the mail runs you have an evening mail call this is at a set time, you had to be there to get your mail. If you weren't it was just added to the next days mail call.

We could use the phones at our leisure between certain hours.

If there is anything else you would like to know ask :)

~Lynne

SusanT
02-13-2006, 08:22 PM
One thing I want to add is that you do not have to submit to a pelvic exam/pap smear. I suggest you get a full physical from your own physician and take a letter along with your medical records if that is a concern.

I self-surrendered at 2 p.m. and was in my room by 4:30

blondegrl
02-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks for all the info. A few more qquestions I had were what should I where for setencing I am 24 and a rather petite girl. Also what type of restraints are used?

newton98
02-14-2006, 04:13 AM
Thanks for all the info. A few more qquestions I had were what should I where for setencing I am 24 and a rather petite girl. Also what type of restraints are used?

Greetings

Holding cells at all court houses and detention centers are cold and uncomfy. Layer and wear pants, comfy walking shoes. Expect to be chained to other inmates or prisoners in transit, hopefully you won't be, but it could happen. You will be hancuffed and shackled and have a chain on waist, at worst. The best possible senario of coarse is you don't get cuffed at all as you walk through tunnels or corridors to a connected detention area. A lot depends on where you are, how many are there going to the dentention center, and who is moving you. Some of it will depend on you, your charges and you sentence.

I caught 4 years on an unauthorized use of an accessing device, and possible could have been considered a lower level security risk. However, I had numerous detainers in different states and I had gotten in a fight where I had kicked a guard while I was being housed by the Feds in a county jail until I was sentenced. I ended up at an FCI and was transported in handcuffs and shackles, while most of the prisoners in transit with me were just cuffed.

~Lynne

blondegrl
02-15-2006, 01:47 AM
For setencing I want to be presentiable I thought I would where a Dress or a skirt with stockings and suggestions. And also what about makeup? I also Read is some posts that you get chained to other women and In R&D they spray you with some sort of licquid?

Thanks
~Scared Blondegrl

mrsjd
02-22-2006, 01:39 AM
they dont spray you with anything! more than likely if you are going to be transferred to a fed fac straight from sentencing you will have cuffs on your ankles too. i ended up with bruises on my ankles that lasted about two weeks because my pants didnt stay tucked inside the cuffs. you asked about makeup- do u want to know if u should wear it to sentencing or do they have it in prison? i think most of the womens prisons sell makeup on comissary. in ca we were able to buy hair dye too. as for what to wear to sentencing just try to look innocent but make sure you are comfortable. do you know if the city you go to court in has an fdc (a federal jail)? that will have alot of effect on the answers to your questions. basically just dont be scared. prison and the whole process is not half as mortifying as society would like us to believe. if you have any more questions you can pm me and i will answer as much as i can. i just got done doing five years and was transported all the way across the country from ny to ca. dont worry, just keep your head up, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel! good luck. one more bit of advice...i dont know if you are the same girl at the beginning of this thread who talked about a plea bargain for working for the prosecution... if so, i would keep this info to yourself once you get there. no matter how you try to sugarcoat it, people will lable you a snitch. not a fun jacket, so take it for what it is worth.

SusanT
02-22-2006, 08:06 AM
mrsjd, is there any reason why you won't be allowed to self surrender? I've never even been handcuffed.