View Full Version : Bellamy Creek

exinsystem
05-16-2003, 02:22 AM
:confused: Is there anyone who can give me any info on Bellamy Creek I hope to be going there this weekend and any information is needed, I really don't want any shocks, also can anyone tell me why a 16 year old child cannot go and see a prisoner, they siad it's because he's not his son and he would have to be 18 before he can go see him we hope he's out by then. It doesn't make sense I'm his mother and I'm responsible for him. How can they say he has to be kin to him, this made my son feel extremly bad he considers my boyfriend to be his father. If anyone can help it would be appreciated

mabear
05-16-2003, 05:34 AM
Don't know anything about Bellamy Creek, but I do know that no one under the age of 18 can visit a prisoner in Mi unless they are the inmates child, step-child, brother/sister,
niece/nephew or emancipated. Nieces and nephews are non-contact visits. It happened back about 8 or 9 years ago when the visiting rules changed. It happened to my son who did visit and then the rules changed and he no longer could until he turned 18 or we got married. So he had to wait 2 years then when he was 18 he was put on the list.

mrsdragoness
05-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Unfortunately, this is true. The law changed when a non relative child - I think about 4-5 years old - was molested in the visiting room at one of the prisons.

I don't know about Bellamy Creek either, but I think there are members who do. I hope they post before you go!

Have a GREAT visit!!!

mrs. d

Rosie03
05-16-2003, 08:44 AM
I have been to Bellamy Creek. The visiting room is, at best, ok. Hard plastic chairs, and only 2 vending machines, one with pop, the other with chips. The staff seemed pretty nice, and pretty much left you alone, but are 100% by the book, not relaxed like in other facilities. Hopefully you are going in the morning, because Bill says that shift is much nicer then 2nd shift. And as the others said, yes, your child has to be his child in order to visit. Our 10 year old was bored stiff at Bellamy Creek, because there is NOTHING to do there, just sit in a row facing forward. I'm sorry about your situation with your son. I hope things go well for you.

DENIMBLUE
05-16-2003, 01:55 PM
SEEMS LIKE MICHIGAN HAS THE STRICTEST PROCEDURES!

ROSIE: WELCOME TO PTO! :)

deb
05-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Welcome to PTO Rosie!

Countrygirl--you can fight this if your boyfriend was his father so to speak--you two just weren't married...Write a letter to the Director of MDOC explaining the situation and cc a copy to the Warden, your boyfriend's counselor, the Assistant Warden, and MI-CURE (Kay Perry) and American Friend's Service Commmittee (Penny Ryder). Call MI-CURE and AFSC first to get them involved. Also, someone who can do a letter talking about the bond between the 2 of them--a counselor or a teacher etc...who knows of the relationship can be attached to the letter from you. It can work--the cc'ing brings pressure as they see who else it is being cc'd to. Good luck!
Deb

exinsystem
05-16-2003, 10:06 PM
I have a bad feeling I'm not going to like what I see when I get there after what I read about that poor man dying a Bellamy Creek my Tommy has a problem with sugar and all I've seen is that they ignore it. I wonder can a girlfriend do anything to help. All I hear is family member. My son is not Tommys he just wishes that he was he doesn't understand how the prison system can tell him he can't see him because he's not his son, he's 16 and a straight A student you can't get nothing by him, I came up with a idea of writing a letter over Tommy,Harley typed it out on a computer hisself and I signed it and sent it in, now he doesn't like the way the government is because we got no reply. I just feel that there is something I can do and can't figure out what it is, I can't believe he's in prison because they siad he probably wouldn't keep his job, when every time he got a job his probation officer had him picked up and he would lose it because he was locked up. He got out on bond got another job and they put him in prison. How can they judge by that, they siad it was because he hadn't been able to keep a job well I guess not if every time he got a job they would pick him up. The crazy thing is after they put him in there his job was wanting them to let him out on work release so they could keep him as a employee. I guess it wouldn't do and good to get anyone to send statements since Harley isn't his son.

deb
05-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Countrygirl--if your son sees him as his father and he sees your son as his son then you can fight this as I said above....

Deb

exinsystem
05-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Deb thanks for your help I'll get to work on this one asap, it makes anyone feel better when they can do something about a problem in 2 peoples life. The woman I talked to at Bellamy Creek sure wasn't very nice. But apparently that isn't in their job description. It just seems when it comes to this system you feel as though your running into brick wall

Rock-n-Croc
06-22-2003, 10:50 PM
does anyone remember the mans name that died at Belemy creek?

exinsystem
06-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Jeffery Clark

GivinSpirit
07-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Do I dare ask what happened to Mr.Clark? How did he die, was Bellamy Creek responsible, could it have been prevented?

My BESTFRIEND is there and that worries me!