View Full Version : Anyone who knows the Bronx, I need your help

Manzanita
09-25-2005, 06:33 PM
I need your help with something...my friend wants to pick me up from Queens, she takes the Hutchinson Parkway to the prison we go to, so to make it easy for her, because she does not know the Bronx, I told her to get off at Pelham Pkway West Exit off of the Hutchingson pkway...and then to meet me at the train station The #5 train stops at Pelham Parkway. Do you have any idea how far the train is from the Exit off the highway, or if not, do you know anyone who does? Thanks for any help you can give me.

There are also TWO stops for the #5 at Pelham, one by Williamsbridge Road and one by White Plains road, I told her Williamsbridge, is it really hard to find?

PhillyGurLL
09-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey! :D I will be able to help you tomorrow if no one replies! I visit my friends/family allll the time in the Bronx. Looks like I will be visiting them more often again! I used to stay with them every weekend and visit my husband in New York. They live in that area. I take the #5 there all the time, but I walk from there and don't even know the names of the highways! They know the area well though. I will be speaking with them tomorrow, I will check to see if you got any replies! :)

Manzanita
09-26-2005, 05:14 AM
thanks!

I was thinking...to meet her actually in front of Jacobi Hospital which is closer to the Parkway she is getting off of as it looks to me from my map....I just need to know if that is close enough, so she does not get lost. Do you think I will hit traffic at that time because I have to take a cab ride from my house to that location on a weekday?

closedaccountformerlysupernova2005
09-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi Mrs. G.,
The train isnt all that close to "the Hutch" but there is a bus that runs along Pelham Pkway - #12 (or it used to be the 12 - check w the MTA to be sure) - the buses are routed for City Island and/or Orchard Beach. In case you cant get a ride at least you know what bus you need.
Hope this helps.

09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
P.s. Uh oh! I assumed the #5 is the one that runs along White Plains rd?
IF NOT - I just realized - you COULD walk to the Pelham Bay station.
Sorry for the confusion!

Manzanita
09-26-2005, 05:27 PM
THANKS!!!!

#5 stops at Pelham Parkway stop....a friend told me today that the HP exit is Pelham Parkway and if she drove like one mile she would run into the train station...BUT, from my map I see Jacobi Hospital is even closer to th HP, right?

I will take a cab from home to the location to meet her. to make it easy for her.
also, yes, the #12 bus runs there but with all my bags I could not carry them on a bus...

Manzanita
09-26-2005, 05:29 PM
oh and there are 2 # 5 trains, I know...one is on WProad and one is on Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Rd

09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
You're right - the Hospital is a much better bet and WAY closer! I didnt realize you had the bags to carry. Should you ever need more Bronx info - PM away! :D

Manzanita
09-26-2005, 06:41 PM
I dont know the BRONX and I live here...but only 3 years...I grew up in Washington Heights Manhattan...

you have helped me ALOT actually....

she and I have our FRP together, her son is my husbands best friend inside for over 10 years - it should be nice for us....I will have MANY bags, LOL

do you think there is lots of traffic there at like 730 am?

LilBabyL
09-26-2005, 07:14 PM
There is alot of construction going on now at Jacobi Hospital and there is alot of traffic in front of there in the morning. Besides she will be travelling WEST off of the exit and Jacobi is on the other side and the direction is EAST. I think you should meet her at the #5 Pelham Parkway train station as a better choice. Walking from the train station to Jacobi is a long hike with bags. It looks like a short walk on the map lol.
If she kept going down Pelham Parkway to the #2 train, there is nowhere for her to stop there since there is ALOT of traffic & buses there at the time.

When she exits the Hutch on Pelham Parkway West, tell her to go for 4 traffic lights along Pelham Parkway West. The streets with the lights are 1-Stillwell Ave; 2-Eastchester Road;3-Young Avenue and then the fourth light is Williamsbridge Road- she can make a right turn there and the train station will be right in front of her.

Good luck!

Manzanita
09-26-2005, 07:32 PM
WOW, thanks!!!!

so...you are talking about the #5 right?

I will be taking a cab from home to the spot where she will get me...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Manzanita
09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
yeah, you are right, it will be WEST and JACOBI is East....right!

when she gets off the HP it is a LEFT onto WEST?

LilBabyL
09-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes you will be at the #5 Pelham Parkway train station on Williamsbridge Road. Where is she coming from? Queens or Westchester?

Manzanita
09-26-2005, 07:37 PM
Queens....

and...Williamsbridge and cross street? Esplanade?

Manzanita
09-26-2005, 07:38 PM
but do you think there is something closer to the EXIT Pelham Parkway off the HP?

you have helped me so much!!!
when she gets off the HP it is a LEFT onto WEST?

LilBabyL
09-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Ok when she exits for Pelham Parkway West, she will exit on the right, go around a curve and then she will be on Pelham Parkway West. She can then follow the directions I gave you.

Yes it's cross street (sort of like a triangle) is Esplanade. St Catherine HS is across the street.

The #6 Pelham Bay Station (another busy stop in the a.m) is close to there too but meeting you at the #5 is easier & hasslefree.

LilBabyL
09-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Ok when she exits for Pelham Parkway West, she will exit on the right, go around a curve and then she will be on Pelham Parkway West. She can then follow the directions I gave you.

Yes it's cross street (sort of like a triangle) is Esplanade. St Catherine HS is across the street.

The #6 Pelham Bay Station (another busy stop in the a.m) is close to there too but meeting you at the #5 is easier & hasslefree.

Manzanita
09-27-2005, 04:48 AM
thanks so much for this!!!!!

so she is exiting on the right? ok....and then onto PPW? got it.

This was very helpful!