View Full Version : LaECI updated Rules for Visitation 9/22/05

MsChiku
09-24-2005, 04:39 PM
LaECI updated Rules for Visitation 9/22/05

To my absolute surprise I was allowed to wear the outfit I wore to LaECI today, with a back up outfit in my car, just in case :rolleyes: :
2-pc sports Michigan State (pants & jacket) w/ Nike symbol
Matching head band
Nike T-shirt

This has been a long time coming. Visitors up until today were prohibited from being comfortable in the visitation room because we were not allowed to wear either a sweater or jacket. Which is absurd because it’s usually freezing with the air conditioning blasting on us :eek: And if that sounds bad, imagine seeing Female visitors with their shirts turned inside/out (backwards) and the only thing the shirt had on it was “Enyce, FUBU, SeanJean, TommyHilfilger, Nike, etc... Women were in the visiting room looking ridiculous with their tags and deodorant stains showing. I was disgusted with the craziness of all that! Thank God this is OVER! (or at least it seems to be)

Although the CO was not allowed to give me a formal copy of the BELOW signed by the Deputy Warden on 9/22/05 (the very day that she and I talked on the phone about the discrepancies going on before getting to the Visitation room) rules for what is acceptable and unacceptable...I took the Liberty of hand writing each one as follows (trying to read my own writing right now :o ) :

UNACCEPTABLE FORMS:

1. See through or tight fitting clothing. (Ladies NO Cleavage Please) <---I added this one--Because YOU know you'll be denied entrance
2. Shorts (children under 12 yrs. of age are permitted to wear shorts.)
3. Tank tops, tube tops, or muscle shirts.
4. No clothing with Gang Insignia, Obscene gestures, and/or Language.
5. Winter Coats or Jackets will not be worn inside the Visitation Room.

ACCEPTABLE FORMS:

1. Skirt and dresses must be at knee length or longer
2. Appropriate undergarments such as bra, underwear, etc.
3. Shoes and shirts must be worn.
4. Clothing with sports Logos such as: Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, etc...
5. When a Visitor is wearing a matching suit to include a shirt/skirt/jacket, jacket/slacks, a jogging suit w/top and top bottom (as long as they match) these are considered professional wear and are acceptable.
6. Hats and Headbands are appropriate items, However, they must be searched.
7. Clothes layering and Sweaters are appropriate.

God Bless the Warden and Deputy Warden (Bob-Itt) for stepping up!

I am posting this here to simply remind each and everyone of you that if you say or do nothing when you know there is something wrong, then ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WILL CHANGE OR EVER GET DONE.

This response from LaECI comes from letters I have sent dating back to April 2004. There is more power in numbers...If more would have stepped up it might have gotten resolved before now, September 2005. :grouphug:

Sabrena -- Ohio Forum Leader

albmonsters
09-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Thank you Sabrena!!!!

I was just there on Wednesday and we had issues. Hopefully, these rules will stick for longer than a few days

whiskeylullabye
09-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Yay Sabrena! I'm glad you got a response.

MsChiku
09-24-2005, 11:03 PM
You are Welcome (((Albmonsters))) :hmm: "IF" these rules change in the next few days maybe everyone who visits LaECI should do their part and contact DRC and Management Training too...I'm only one voice and there is POWER in Numbers...I can lead you to the well but I can't make anyone drink from it. So again I say, imagine what could be accomplished "IF" EVERYONE took a stand and spoke out?

(((Whiskey))) thank you too :)

sdylan06
09-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Go Sabrena!!!!.............I'm happy for you!:yay: :beer: :bow: :yay: :rock:

MsChiku
09-26-2005, 05:34 PM
(((Sam))) thank you :hifive: Sabrena :D

MsChiku
09-28-2005, 05:54 PM
:yay: :clap: :yay:

"God is Good, ALL the time!"

I expressed my concerns about the New Rules being posted for ALL Visitors and Inmates to see. And my fears regarding any retaliation towards my husband due to my formal complaints...

Okay, the Warden responded to my request in a positive way :clap:
He assures me that:

"I can assure you that Deputy Warden and I have addressed the issues and implemented measures to correct them."

"The staff at LaECI are very professional and diligent in the performance of their duties. Our staff are held accountable to the highest standard and know any type of unprofessional acts such as retaliation against any individuals regardless of their status is NOT acceptible..."

Also, He apologized for the problems with the previous letter not being received by him and if I had any additional questions or concerns, to feel free to contact him directly.

I think I'll wait to see the NEW rules/policies posted for EVERYONE to view before I send him a thank you card.

Sabrena :grouphug:

albmonsters
09-29-2005, 12:46 AM
I wil be out there Sunday and looking for them. I will let you know if they are there unless you end up going out before me....

MsChiku
09-29-2005, 05:21 AM
(((albmonsters))) I would very much appreciate that :yes: Better yet, you should take a sweater and/or jacket to wear inside the Visitation Room and see if the Front Desk try to say you're not allowed :hmm: I'd love to have faith in them simply doing the "right thing" but I'll have to see it, before I'll believe it :shrug: I'm not going this Saturday, I've been going every week for awhile and I need to get some rest. So if you would let us know how it goes and what changes you notice, I would be ever so grateful :D Sabrena

albmonsters
10-03-2005, 01:45 PM
HI Sabrena,

I went out Sunday and there are a couple of changes. They did tell us about the new rule but it was not posted anywhere. I did wear my sweater set (but it usually gets in anyway.) A lady that went before us had a jean jacket and asked if she could wear it in and since she was sick they said yes. Personally, using the new rules I wouldn't have let her if I was working.

With all of the drugs, the front desk has been asking for a drug dog. Hopefully they get it and that would ease up on the rules. The one that they are having problem with is the layering of clothes and no winter jackets. The example that was given to me was - So someone can wear 4 shirts and hide drugs that way, but no winter jacket. What's the difference? And naturally, we saw this layering while visiting. It brings up a good point.

The last change is that the regular guy who is in the visitation room is out on sick leave and the regular guy who strips out is now doing his job. He's tough and enforces the rules (and is a guy we have had personal issues with in the past) But I have to say he was extremely pleasant yestreday and actually cordial. Even with it being packed, things went really smooth (no waiting before count when i got there at 9:30...Never Ever happens)

I also heard a rumor that the guys will be on lock down for the next few days for TB testing.

MsChiku
10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
HI Sabrena,

I went out Sunday and there are a couple of changes. They did tell us about the new rule but it was not posted anywhere. I did wear my sweater set (but it usually gets in anyway.) A lady that went before us had a jean jacket and asked if she could wear it in and since she was sick they said yes. Personally, using the new rules I wouldn't have let her if I was working.

With all of the drugs, the front desk has been asking for a drug dog. Hopefully they get it and that would ease up on the rules. The one that they are having problem with is the layering of clothes and no winter jackets. The example that was given to me was - So someone can wear 4 shirts and hide drugs that way, but no winter jacket. What's the difference? And naturally, we saw this layering while visiting. It brings up a good point.

The last change is that the regular guy who is in the visitation room is out on sick leave and the regular guy who strips out is now doing his job. He's tough and enforces the rules (and is a guy we have had personal issues with in the past) But I have to say he was extremely pleasant yestreday and actually cordial. Even with it being packed, things went really smooth (no waiting before count when i got there at 9:30...Never Ever happens)

I also heard a rumor that the guys will be on lock down for the next few days for TB testing.

(((albmonsters))) :wave: Thank you for the update :clap:

:hmm: You mentioned that you were allowed to wear your sweater previously before the changes :confused: . Well, that would mean that the officer picked and chose at his/her discretion, who could wear a sweater??? Which is unfair when they disallowed anyone else to wear a sweater on Saturdays before the updates/changes.

As far as the blue jean jackets, it's not up to the CO at the desk or You and/or I to decide if it should be permitted because according to DRC it's not prohibited. The new rule for LaECI states that as long as it's a matching outfit, "jackets" are permitted. WINTER Coats are inappropriate :nono: ; jackets and sweaters are permitted. (if the rules were posted, there would be NO confusion about what is allowed and/or inappropriate at LaECI -- she didn't need to ask permission for what's clearly listed as "appropriate" whether she's sick or not :no: ) He/She simply needs to take the jacket off to be searched and walk thru the metal detector.

As far as layering, the outfit that I'm referring to that involves layers is the shirt that has a net shawl that drapes over it. Or turtle neck w/pull-over sweater or buttoned up shirt. Or even a sports shirt over a t-shirt...I have not :no: seen anyone or any FOOL :eek: with 4-5 shirts on, of course that would be suspicious :rolleyes: And if the CO feels suspicious then the CO should and do have the right to search that visitor.

I wore an aqua blue skirt, multi-blue blouse, with a loosely knitted matching aqua blue over-top that tied in the front. And was told I had to take off my over top. Mind you, it was on top of my matching blouse and concealed absolutely NOTHING, yet the CO mis-interpreted their instructions about excessive clothing...There's a BIG difference and would be an obvious over-kill, if ANYONE wore 4-5 layers:cool:

Simply put, the Officers will need to work at the front desk...they can't just make everyone take off everything to make their jobs easier :rolleyes: ...CO's have to abide by the DRC's standards.

As far as a CO being strict and a stickler for the "rules" that's fine, as long as the rules are in accordance with DRC, that's great! Just don't be making them up as we come and go! That's my ONLY beef!

It seems you had a good visit :thumbsup: I'm happy for you. :clap:

However, I am not pleased with the fact that these rules have not been put out for ALL Eyes to see. Therefore, Visitors are still left up in the air and asking "if" this is ok or not...And since EVERYONE seems to have a different way of interpreting what is appropriate or not...It would be to everyone's advantage if the Visitation Rules were publicized. And not just some folks get to wear their sweaters/or jackets but ANYONE who so desires to.

Again, Thank you for the update :thumbsup:

Sabrena :)
P.S. thanks for the 411 about the TB testing :grouphug:

albmonsters
10-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Sabrena,

The sweater I wore was part of a sweater set, you know the ones that have the sleeveless shell. Personally, I never wear layers other than that one set and I've never had any trouble. I always wear thick wool or cashmere sweaters in the winter, and long sleeve shirts in the fall and spring. I hardly ever wear a skirt cause I hate being in them.

Now, I do believe that the rules are open to interpretation regarding matching jackets and all. As for the layering thing, well, I saw it for my own eyes. Some people have interesting choices in attire. We saw a lady walk in there with a tutleneck, a t shirt on, a NFL jersey shirt that went to her knees and was about 8 sizes too big on, and more.. i'm knocking the style choice but if you are walking into a prison and they have rules about contraband, why wouldn't you dress appropriately?

I understand your frustration about the outfit that you have described. I too, feel that was nuts with them having you take of the sweater. And had it happened to me I would have taken it up with someone too.

She did have a set of the rules there that she referenced and pointed to but I thought she held it up but it could have been on that stand thing by her computer, where the latest rule changes are posted. Even the CO said that when winter comes someone with b$$$$ enough that teh winter jackets will get in.

As for the fact that they have the right to search, Last time I was there we got onto the this very topic and there seems to be confusion. The CO's I was talking to (5 in the group) seemed under the impression that they can't actually do the search on the visitor but that they had to have a police officer or trooper do it. I don't know what the regs are on the searchs and if they knew what they were talking about.

But regardless, I'm all FOR people being allowed to wear what they want within reason. And I'm all FOR consistant equal enforcement of the rules. But for the many many people that I have seen go into that institution for a visit wearing totally inappropriate attire, I personally, want to shake them and say you knew the rules and what were you thinking wearing that?You got a copy of the rules just like I did and that is how you interpret it? Please do not take that as a slam on you in anyway because I know that you wouldn't but the women that go in with Dasiy Dukes, or mini skirts and extremely low cut shirts or bras that are 3 sizes too small and they are falling out of them. That is absolutely nuts and uncalled for. And the fuss that these women make is not only embarassing but it leaves you wondering. I think that it's that whole "It's the few that ruin it for the many" thing.

MsChiku
10-05-2005, 09:35 AM
I know that some people just don't get it. :shrug: and will try to get away with wearing inappropriate things. Nonetheless, if everyone did like the requirements stated then the CO would not be needed at the front desk. So thanks to Visitor's, there's a job for the CO :rolleyes: All I ask is that the CO does His/Her job in accordance to the clearly listed rules.

albmonsters
10-05-2005, 11:30 PM
I hear ya...

JennyMCa
10-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Congratulations Sabrena on finally helping to nudge them into reasonable behavior!

I used to feel so sad when I would read how incredibly restrictive the visiting conditions were there. I'm glad that you can at least go there in something presentable and comfortable now. (Plus be warm!)

MsChiku
10-07-2005, 03:31 PM
(((Jenny))) All praises to God for the changes but I'm still battling other issues there...keep me in your prayers. Thanks! Sabrena :grouphug:

albmonsters
10-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Thought you would like to know, the memo is now posted.....

MsChiku
10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
:yay: WooHoo :yay: I spoke to Ms. Burrows last Friday and she assured me that something would be done ASAP...Praise God :grouphug:

sdylan06
10-14-2005, 03:23 PM
good job sabrena!!!!!!!!!!

Lillybee
10-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Thank you! I will be visitng Lebanon on Wed and plan to wear a pair of kakhis and a white blouse, gym shoes. Can't get any plainer than that. :)

dboylove
10-14-2005, 05:40 PM
I there today too Sabrena and I was nice and toasty in my sweater thanks to you!! Everything went smooth and there were no problems with my paperwork..............just a nice visit!!!!!!!

MsChiku
10-14-2005, 07:28 PM
(((dboylove))) Thanks for the News :thumbsup: Did you see the memo posted about the updates too? Sabrena

dboylove
10-15-2005, 06:27 AM
I forgot to look!!! I guess i was too excited to see Danny and couldn't think about anything else!! LOL....Have a good weekend!!

MsChiku
10-17-2005, 05:20 AM
(((dboylove))) No Problem, I can understand :yes: I'll be looking for it this Saturday. Glad your visit was nice :thumbsup: Sabrena :)

MsChiku
04-11-2006, 05:51 PM
***ANOTHER MADE UP RULE BY LaECI*** ABSOLUTELY NO TIGHT FITTING PANTS, ESPECIALLY JEANS! NOTHING THAT SHOWS YOUR SHAPE...WHAT I GOT FROM THIS HARASSMENT IS, NO CUTE PEOPLE ALLOWED. AND I HEARD THAT THE CO's (males) WERE MAKING THE VISITING FEMALEs TURN AROUND SO THEY COULD CHECK IF HER PANTS WERE TOO TIGHT :mad: FYI ***

albmonsters
04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
They have had a new set of CO's come in. The lady that was doing the processing has just retired. So now the rules are being enforced more strictly. It is posted every where about the tight fitting clothes so that one does surprise me.

However, Note to ask your loved ones - MAKE SURE your paperwork is in the file up front. Earlier this monthn when the computer system went down they were pulling the paper files. If all of your paperwork wasnot in his file you went home. They were sending people who visit every wee home cause the paperwork wasn't there.

For me, My biggest complaint is that they terminate just about the entire room after count so that the chairs and stay empty time the front processes. It's a crock and they should let people stay until they actually need those seats.

MsChiku
04-12-2006, 02:36 PM
If no one complains to Columbus, nothing will get done...there's power in numbers...I've stressed this so many times before...So I'll simply wear my Church clothes and quit fighting a battle all by myself.

albmonsters
04-21-2006, 11:47 PM
OK, So I went on Thursday and a few more things are updated. Supposedly, The person who was processing the paperwork before wasn't doing it right and was letting things slide that she shouldn't have... or so they say.....which i personally think she was fabulous...

Anyways, Processing for LaECI will now be from 8:00 am to 10:15 and form 11:30 to 2:30 pm. If you get there between 10:15 and 11:30, you will be sent away and cannot stay on the premises.

There is absolutely no gum and no money that can go back into the room.

And no jackets or coats are allowed again until the Fall supposedly.

Last but not least, no tight fitting clothes.

The people doing the visitation are all changing again come May 1st so I am sure thinsg will change yet again.....