View Full Version : Why do they shave guys hair when they go to prison?

titantoo
09-24-2005, 08:57 AM
I know this is probably not a burning issue and some might find the question stupid but why is a (male only I presume) prisoner's head shaved when they first come in? I always presumed it was mainly to humiliate them.
And if sex equality is the reason for allowing male guards in female prisoners
why aren't womens heads shaved too (not that I would be in favour, of course).

cjjack
09-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Men's heads are not shaved in federal prison. I know a guy whose hair was almost down to his waist!

titantoo
09-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Men's heads are not shaved in federal prison. I know a guy whose hair was almost down to his waist!
Thanks....I am glad to hear it. Can you move this to an more appropriate place?

valorie1
09-24-2005, 09:37 AM
I have a pen pal in a supermaximum security prison. He was on death row and his sentence changed to life by the governor in 2003. He is in Tamms Supermax in Illinois. When he first entered his hair was down to his butt. When his sentence was change to life he wanted to give something back so he cut off all of his hair and gave it to the Locks of Love for cancer victims. :) Now it is down to his shoulders again. I am not sure what prisons shave their heads and which do not. I know lice is an issue in some prisons so maybe that is it to help keep the lice population down.
Take care
Peace love light and laughter
Valorie

poni'swoman
09-24-2005, 12:32 PM
No, they do not shave their heads.

David
09-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Andy,
I can give you a couple answers you might be looking for. As Chrisa said, you are not required to do so in the feds, however many do by their own choice..
When you are pending going to an actual prison and stuck in a contract jail (federal) there often are no barbers.. It can be a real pain and a lot of people chose to just shave their heads.

I believe a lot of prison system do it to try and keep lice down. When you go through processing they usually make you do a full body wash with deloucing (sp?) agents, and getting rid of the hair helps make sure this works.

I'm not so sure it is a psychological issue as if anything it makes a con look and feel meaner, not to mention the people with long hair aren't happy at all about it.

David
09-24-2005, 12:43 PM
It might be interesting to know what state's make people shave heads.

Texas (TDCJ) does..

Anyone else?

(Moving to General Prison Talk forum from Feds)

Msnikay
09-24-2005, 12:48 PM
They did not shave is my fiancee's hair

ndocwife
09-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Alot of the boot camps also do this, and it's entirely a control issue. Break them down any and every way they can... I've seen photos of guys in the barber chair with tears in their eyes. For a man with long hair, losing it is a pretty humbling experience.

Missy

titantoo
09-24-2005, 01:09 PM

Texas (TDCJ) does..

Anyone else?

I assume they all only require it for males

anonymous-in-sc
09-24-2005, 01:18 PM

Texas (TDCJ) does..

Anyone else?

SCDC (SC Dept of Corrections) requires that their hair not grow past a certain length. They don't necessarily have to shave it, though.

David
09-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I assume they all only require it for males

Harris County (Houston area) had (not sure if they still do) a female boot camp and a girl I knew went. They didn't shave her bald but they cut it REALLY close.. She had really long blond hair and when I saw her afterwards you could say it made me flinch.

cjjack
09-24-2005, 01:39 PM
I know Virginia state inmates have to cut their hair short, but not shave it. At least the females. I think Friscolady can shed more light on this.

Ted's mom
09-24-2005, 02:18 PM
California requires shaving of beards and goatees. Short mustache ok. Not sure about hair because he had short hair anyway. I'll ask him when he calls.

titantoo
09-24-2005, 02:22 PM
You people are amazing. Ask and you will get..I really appreciate everyone's response.
THANK YOU!

valorie1
09-24-2005, 03:19 PM
I know my friend in Tamms Supermax can have a goatee and beard. Only thing there is they have their pictures taken every 3 months (at least the ones on high level security like he is do) and if they change their appearance in that 3 months (like shave bald) they have to pay $5 out of their own pocket to have picture retaken. :( Maybe I will try to research some prisons soon and find out.
Take care
Valorie

stormyatheart
09-24-2005, 07:04 PM
I know here in Okla they shave all the hair on face and head off for men. Im not sure how it is for women. Now once they go through reception they can grow it back.

Lillybee
09-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Ohio cuts inmates hair short. They cut off my son's braids.

TJR
09-24-2005, 07:22 PM
They did not make my hubby shave his head or even cut his hair in Washington State.

titantoo
09-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Also...do any of you know what happens re prisoners who wear particular hair for religious reasons...eg Sikhs and Orthodox Jews?

stormierain
09-24-2005, 07:23 PM
well way bach in the 70s they did it, i always thought for bugs, but you bring up women it made me think. like you said: always presumed it was mainly to humiliate them.

jesuschick
09-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Oklahoma DOC does, all my male friends that goes to Lexington to process has their head shaved. I was told to look for tatoo's. But once they are processed they can grow it out. My baby boy chooses to keep his shaved he laughs and says it saves on shampoo.

Harris County (Houston area) had (not sure if they still do) a female boot camp and a girl I knew went. They didn't shave her bald but they cut it REALLY close.. She had really long blond hair and when I saw her afterwards you could say it made me flinch.

whiskeylullabye
09-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I don't think it's to humilate them, I think it's to control LICE.
They don't do this everywhere.

jblovesdb
09-24-2005, 09:27 PM
I know in NJ they don't have to shave their heads or cut their beards. However, I am not completely sure about bootcamps and MAX prisons. I think it has to do with alot of issues...one being the lice...looking for tatoos, scars, or anything that could help to indetify a person...and as someone else had said, it also is a way to break down the men (and I guess women also). And take away their identies...like making them all uniformed. Atleat that 's what I get outta it.

David
09-24-2005, 09:40 PM
You people are amazing. Ask and you will get..I really appreciate everyone's response.
THANK YOU!

I'm now ready for your moderate questions.. :p ;)

David
09-24-2005, 09:41 PM
I know my friend in Tamms Supermax can have a goatee and beard. Only thing there is they have their pictures taken every 3 months (at least the ones on high level security like he is do) and if they change their appearance in that 3 months (like shave bald) they have to pay $5 out of their own pocket to have picture retaken. :( Maybe I will try to research some prisons soon and find out.
Take care
Valorie

$5.00 per style? Sounds like B.S. to me but hold on to your ID's and thank them when they ask but you have that style covered. ;)

valorie1
09-24-2005, 09:47 PM
It probably is up to the prison. I found this
http://www.loper.org/~george/trends/1999/nov/91.html
This is crazy.
Take care
valorie

jdcjmc1
09-24-2005, 10:22 PM
California requires shaving of beards and goatees. Short mustache ok. Not sure about hair because he had short hair anyway. I'll ask him when he calls.
When my man was in California made them shave their hair. There a re many resons. Alot of it does with lice and also if they have long hair they can hide weapons in their hair.

stormytattoo
09-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Not sure about the states but in canada they do not have their heads.

titantoo
09-24-2005, 10:46 PM
It probably is up to the prison. I found this
http://www.loper.org/~george/trends/1999/nov/91.html (http://www.loper.org/%7Egeorge/trends/1999/nov/91.html)
This is crazy.
Take care
valorie

From the url

"The key function of the grooming policy, said Corrections Director Ronald J. Angelone, is to help identify prisoners, who through poor grooming often stop resembling their mug shots soon after arriving at prison, making a successful escape easier" (Craig Timber and William Branigin, The Washington Post, November 16, 1999).

And how many do we think have been able to escape for that reason?

On the other hand, how credible is this?

"The policy immediately came under fire from civil libertarians. Kent Willis, executive director of the Virginia chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said his office would look for ways to challenge the new policy in court" "'This policy has nothing to do with security but everything to do with a persistent effort by correctional officials to dehumanize inmates,' Willis said. 'This is what the Virginia Department of Corrections has been doing for six years, a series of policies that gradually strip prisoners of their humanity'"
I know which I belive.

Thanks Valorie for all your input.

Akex52
09-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Does any one know if the inmates from the Mark Stile Unit ,were moved and where due to the bad weather

tom's honey
09-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Well I gotta represent Florida on this one...... when the guys go thru reception thier heads are shaved. why? who the he** knows.....maybe lice,maybe control,maybe because it is 1000 degrees here and they do not have a/c in the prisons! But i do know after the initial cut they are permitted to grow it back out a little, but it must be kept a specific length and all facial hair must go if not it is DR time! hello all! , from the sunshine state

qwerty
09-25-2005, 12:26 AM
In Cali the rules say they have to cut their hair very short, not shaved but very close-cropped.

But in some of the prisons they look the other way, I've seen it. As they say, in Cali, each warden has his/her own fiefdom...

one_luv
09-25-2005, 12:39 AM
In Oregon, they are not required to shave their heads.

kisbet
09-25-2005, 01:49 AM
In Georgia they shave their heads.... can't remember if its before or after they get to a diagnostic and classification prison but after that, they are allowed to let it grow back....no idea of the reason at all.

valorie1
09-25-2005, 07:43 AM
Lol titan not sure how credible this is. I only know about the thing in Tamms Supermax because my pen pal told me. If I look at his picture before the 3 months is up it usually has not changed. He was going to grow fully out his beard and moustache, but when it came time to make him pay the 5 dollars a month after he started growing it he had to shave cause no funds.
Not sure about religous reasons but I have a pen pal in Montanna in the Aryan Brotherhood who shaves his head slick bald.
(Ps I hope because of this last sentence no one thinks of me as racist for I am not. And Dennis is quite a guy.)