View Full Version : money to inmates-How much do they need/should I send?

09-21-2005, 06:28 PM
How much money do the prisoners usually need? How much can you send at one time? I'm new to all this. My ex was just transferred to CRC today. Will he send something saying what he can have? Anything else I should know?


09-21-2005, 06:32 PM
I am not sure if you are referring to a federal or state prison.

My boyfriend is in a federal prison. I don't send money directly to him or the prison. There is a seperate address.

If you are looking for info on federal prisons go to BOP.GOV

09-21-2005, 06:34 PM
CRC is a state prison in Ohio

09-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Welcome to PTO! Only approved visitors can send money and it muts be in the form of money order. Once he gets to his "home" institution, which can take 6-8 weeks, he can add other people to his visitation list. At CRC, it is only immediate family. You must be approved as a visitor before youc an send the money orders.... Hope this helps, if you have other questions let me know

09-21-2005, 06:40 PM
How do you become an approved visitor? Will I be able to send him anything else, like books, pictures, mail? Is there anyway to find out what can be sent?

09-21-2005, 06:44 PM
you can send him mail, the embossed enveloped (3) per envelope, pictures (3) per envelope, books can be sent but must be sent from the bookstore or from a website. You canot purchase the book and send it on your own. CD's and tapes you can send but they much have the original wrapper.

For the visiting list... he sends you the paperwork.... If you are not married to him currently, you will not be able to visit him. You must wait until he gets to his "home" institution. He will then send you paperwork.

Another thing you should know is calls from CRC will be limited for the first few weeks.. so write him and be patient. Once he gets settled, he will call and all that

09-21-2005, 07:04 PM
This may be a stupid question, but what are embossed envelopes? Can you send any kind of books? Do they have cd or tape players there? Thanks for all your help

09-21-2005, 07:17 PM
You have to send money ordersto have him puchase the cd players in there.. embossed envelopes are the envelopes that you can only buy at the post office. They have the stamp already printed on the envelope so thre is no way to remove it. Send him lots and lots and lots of them just only (3) per envelope.

For the books, Anything is fine but nothing related to drugs, gangs, or hard core violence

09-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Not sure about Ohio but in Florida they can spend $100.00 a week. They buy cigarettes, food, sodas, snacks, ect. Here they can buy walkman radios like once a month from the canteen. Soap and basic hygene products. I don't know if this helps for your state but I hope it will give you some idea. Try calling the facility where he is and ask them they can probably tell you. Good Luck!

09-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi (((mlmjmm))) :wave: Welcome to PTO... In Ohio each time in a new prison they have Orientation and your friend will find out exactly how much he can spend or have on his books. Each Institution is different. (((Albmonsters))) has given you the correct info regarding CRC. Best Wishes :) Sabrena

09-22-2005, 05:01 PM
I've sent $150 just a couple weeks ago. They never said there was a specific amount I could send. I could sent him a cd but it had to be part of his clothes box which he can only get 2 clothes boxes a year. And 2 food boxes. I'm not sure if he can order cd's in there or not. I know he can order radios and even a guitar. That's why I sent so much. It didnt take long for me to be approved for his visitors list within a week after I mailed back the application. But it's a smaller institution and others may be different.

09-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. The hardest part is waiting to talk to him and make sure he's ok. I feel so helpless in all of this.

09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Dear M: My son was at CRC before being transferred to Lebanon. At CRC he listed me, his dad, grandmother and brother on his approved visiting list. He called me immediately when he got there. Said it was like a big "boot camp". Anyway once he writes you and gives you his inmate number you can send him money via a money order, made out to him with his inmate number on it. When my son was at CRC, I would send him $50 at the start. Good success :)

Doc's Sis
09-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Lillybee - no she can't send money to him at CRC. She is not an immediate family member. When he gets sent to whatever his 'home' prison will be, he can then ask that she become an approved visitor - and if she is approved, THEN she can send money.
Also, no need to wait for him to write or call with his number and mailing address. Just go to the Ohio Offenders web site and see if they have his name and number posted yet. They usually get such info on the site within a week or so.
The mailing address is P.O. Box 309, Orient, OH 43146

Then address the envelopes as follows:
John M. Smith
P.O.Box 309
Orient, OH 43146

Get a 9 x 12 mailing envelope and put in it: your letter to him; 3 sheets of plain (or lined) paper so he can write letters; 3 stamped (embossed) envelopes. That's all you can send right now. He will let you know when he can receive other things.

It isn't easy to wait for a call or letter, but he'll call when they let him. Hang in there and SOON he will contact you.

09-23-2005, 01:29 PM
I have read in some other posts that I would be able to be on his visitor's list because we have a son together. If that's true then I would be able to send money, right? This is all so confusing.

09-23-2005, 04:01 PM
(((mlmjmm))) Yes, it all can be a bit confusing and overwhelming to say the least :grouphug: So I'm going to say it this way...CRC is the 1st Institution he goes to for Orientation etc... The ONLY way you will be able to visit your loved one is if you were Married to him....BUT once he gets to his Parent Institution, he can send you the required paper work to request you as a visitor, once you are interviewed and approved you will then be allowed to send your loved money orders.

Currently, NO ONE is permitted to send any money orders to an Ohio Inmate, until we are approved as a visitor. So he will NOT be able to receive money orders from you or anyone who is not on his approved visitation list at this time.

Girlfriends who have a child or children for an inmate is not considered an immediate family member. There must be a legal marriage before he arrived at CRC.

I hope that helped. Feel free to PM if any further questions. Sabrena :)

Doc's Sis
09-28-2005, 07:33 PM
IF you would be an approved visitor, then, yes, you could send a money order. However, you need to wait until he sends you the form to fill out and return to the prison. You could ask him about it when he calls you. The inmate has to be the one to say who he wants for visitors and he can have only two friends listed.

Sometimes the inmate gives the Case Manager an envelope with your name/address on it and then the Case Manager puts the form in the envelope and sends it to you. You then complete the form and return it and then wait (forever and ever) to get approved!

If you haven't received forms yet, then you aren't approved to visit or send money or send "care" packages. If the inmate is the father of you child, that doesn't automatically make you an approved visitor.

10-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey I was just reading through all of the post and most of the information these women have given you is correct!!! CRC the phone contact is VERY limited. my advice is to write as many letters as possible and send them once you get his home address...... nothing makes them happier than getting letters and pictures. (mail has been really slow lately.....both ways)

My papers for my visit took at most 10 days!!!! His case worker was really on it I guess! Best of luck to you and your family during what I call a difficult time!!!

10-19-2005, 09:59 AM
the address for Orient is
P.O. Box 209
Orient, Ohio
thats the address i use to send letters to my guy/friend and I write him every day and he gets all of my letters I send him.

10-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry, if I gave incorrect information, but as his mother I was able to send my son money while he was at CRC.

10-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Sorry, if I gave incorrect information, but as his mother I was able to send my son money while he was at CRC.

(((Ms Lilly))) your info was not was based on your experience as a mother...And since you are his natural mother and that was already proven, he must have had you already on his thank you for your info and experience...we all realize that everyones situation is different;) Sabrena

10-20-2005, 11:33 PM
In CRC they are allowed to spend a maximum of 35.00 dollars per commissary which I believe is two times a week. I put 200.00 dollars on my man's books as soon as he left and put it in his mother's name so they wouldn't trip and it got put on his books asap.

Doc's Sis
10-21-2005, 05:44 AM
PO Box 209 is the address for Pickaway and Frazier- NOT for any other institution.
There is more than one institution at Orient....

Correct address for CRC is P. O. Box 300, Orient, OH 43146

the address for Orient is
P.O. Box 209
Orient, Ohio
thats the address i use to send letters to my guy/friend and I write him every day and he gets all of my letters I send him.

Doc's Sis
10-21-2005, 05:49 AM
That is illegal. If you ever get found out, look out! Would be better if you give his mother the money and then let her be the one to send a money order to him. One time, I sent a money order to someone and wrote on the money order that it was from his sister (an approved visitor) - because that is how he wanted it done. Well, someone was on the ball in the Mail Room and questioned it. They called me and informed me how illegal it is to do it that way - and they returned the money order to me. I pled ignorance and apologized and promised never to do it again. The inmate was punished for having suggested it to me.

Know that when you write things like that on this forum, there are reporters and some COs reading what we write!!

In CRC they are allowed to spend a maximum of 35.00 dollars per commissary which I believe is two times a week. I put 200.00 dollars on my man's books as soon as he left and put it in his mother's name so they wouldn't trip and it got put on his books asap.

10-21-2005, 06:56 AM
In CRC they are allowed to spend a maximum of 35.00 dollars per commissary which I believe is two times a week. I put 200.00 dollars on my man's books as soon as he left and put it in his mother's name so they wouldn't trip and it got put on his books asap.

(((inlivewithmrcar))) I know your intentions were not to get either you or your loved one in trouble but the fact of matter is that the Institution have these rules to protect the outsiders too.

Doc made a good point, if you are not an approved visitor, then you should give the money to an approved visitor, and he/she are the ONLY ones that should be sending money orders.

Some rules at Institutions may seem petty and unrealistic but we must respect their rules. Here's an important thread regarding PTO rules/policies:
Threads/replies encouraging illegal/unethical action ... or more importantly, anything relating to compromising the security of prisons and institutions (ETC) will not be allowed....

Obviously, we can't turn back the hands of time (what's done is done) but for your protection and since ANYONE has access to our post, be careful what you say and do in the public. And try not to post any personal information that would have fingers pointing the way of you and/or your Man. I pray that my :twocents: are helpful :yes: Sabrena.

06-10-2006, 05:12 PM
My fiance was just transferred to CRC on wed. i called and they said that you can't sent paper just envelopes. The money he said that we could send them after they have been there 8 days.

Doc's Sis
06-11-2006, 07:33 AM
THey change the rules from time to time, Page. They did change the rules about sending money orders earlier this year, so you can send him a money order, not to exceed $100. I think that at CRC they can spend no more than $35 per week, so don't send too much money to him at CRC. If you send too much and then he gets sent to another prison, it could take several weeks to transfer his money to the new place!

You no longer need to be an approved visitor to send a money order. And he will get some paper and a pen there - so just send 3 embossed envelopes to him a few times per week - if he needs that many.

Hang in there. When he gets to his Parent Institution, things will be a bit better and he'll be allowed to spend up to $50 per week and have other perks that he doesn't have right now. He will let you know what is or is not allowed when he gets there.

10-18-2006, 12:56 PM
I called about visiting my fiance at CRC in Orient and they told me as long as he put me on visiting list that I can visit. My children can't though because they are not of age and not related.?

10-29-2006, 03:13 PM
I Havent Heard From My Daughter In Like 5 Days. How Do I Kno If She Is Just Being Respectful Of My Phone Bill Or She Is In Trouble. She Said That If U Are In Trouble U Go To The "hole" How Do I Kno If She Is In Trouble? She Is Not A Problem Type Person But What If? Is There A Way To Find Out?

11-01-2006, 12:53 PM
My bf just left crc. I sent him 10 bucks a week and had no problems.....

11-15-2006, 08:27 PM
at Madison, anyway, I guess because they will be stopping the food and clothes boxes and have to buy everything at or through the prison. Also a no-nudie pictures memo.