View Full Version : Chillicothe Correctional Institution (CCI)?

tommysgurl
09-18-2005, 10:42 PM
My boyfriend is in CCI. Does anyone have a loved one in there? Im really concerned on how they do things there. Could someone please help me. Im new at this.

Thanks
Tommysgurl

MsChiku
09-19-2005, 04:53 PM
:wave: (((Tommysgurl))) Welcome to PTO...I'm going to move this thread to the Ohio Forum so that anyone with info on CCI can assist...Also, try using the search box and typing in Chillicothe Correctional Institution. Best Wishes. :thumbsup:

ShellRae
09-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Tommy,
My brother was there about 4 years ago, I can offer help on only what I know about from then..... the visiting room was really laid back. Inmates where alloud to go to the machines and tell you what they wanted but could not touch the money. You could go outside to smoke, but I am sure that has changed somehow. They even had a playground (little but it helped) for the little ones.... swings, kids love swings..
Like I said, that was 4 years ago, not sure how much it has changed???
best of luck to you!!!

bebopp7
09-23-2005, 07:03 AM
My friend is there it is pretty much the same except instead of all day visits you only get half day as they are over crowded and now you have to call or write to get a reservation to visit, pretty strict on the dress code no shorts above the knees no dresses above the knees no short sleeved shirts or tank tops

grayhair_40
01-22-2011, 01:50 AM
My boyfriend is in CCI. Does anyone have a loved one in there? Im really concerned on how they do things there. Could someone please help me. Im new at this.

Thanks
Tommysgurl
i was there..what do you need to know?

SoozeCat
03-20-2011, 11:04 PM
i was there..what do you need to know?

Don't know about anyone else, but I would love to know anything and everything about Chillicothe, as my guy will be going there in a couple of weeks from Madison. Average age there? Any gang problems? Theft problems? How quickly you can get involved in and go to classes? Visiting? Living environment? Do tell ALL (when you have time...) - many thanks!!!

bebopp7
03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
My friend has been in Chillicothe for 20 years, hard to get a parole from there. He has not had to many problems but there have been a few suicides and murders.

He just told me this week it is hard to get a job there. Also that there are lots of guys waiting to work, so if the inmate has no one on the outside to send money he does without due to not having a job!

They almost let my friend die when he went to them in the middle of the night with chest pains they gave him some antacid and told him to go back to bed, a few hours later he had a massive heart attack and had to be rushed to the hospital for triple by pass heart surgery.

They have cut down on giving out medicines and are telling the inmates to buy herb pills at the commissary.

They are terribly over crowded, with guys sleeping in the hallways!

What is wrong with Madison that he is going to Chillictohe? My friend was thinking about transferring to Madison or London, any info on these prison would be appreciated

SoozeCat
03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
My friend has been in Chillicothe for 20 years, hard to get a parole from there. He has not had to many problems but there have been a few suicides and murders.

He just told me this week it is hard to get a job there. Also that there are lots of guys waiting to work, so if the inmate has no one on the outside to send money he does without due to not having a job!

They almost let my friend die when he went to them in the middle of the night with chest pains they gave him some antacid and told him to go back to bed, a few hours later he had a massive heart attack and had to be rushed to the hospital for triple by pass heart surgery.

They have cut down on giving out medicines and are telling the inmates to buy herb pills at the commissary.

They are terribly over crowded, with guys sleeping in the hallways!

What is wrong with Madison that he is going to Chillictohe? My friend was thinking about transferring to Madison or London, any info on these prison would be appreciated

Madison is also enduring overcrowding and it is becoming somewhat of a clearinghouse for inmates in the same way CRC was. Send them there - give them 20 hours of classes or the like, then move them out to where they will be permanently. I think also, Madison has a higher rate of mentally ill people there (I hear stories of lots of people just walking in circles, talking to themselves all day long). Lots of violence and theft (but then again, I could be describing every single prison in Ohio). I hear it's pretty filthy too. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard they were putting a hold on transfers until they get the financial problems handled - that could be forever the way the state is going.

I hope your friend is doing better - what a horrible health scare to have and then have it being ignored - but I would guess to the 'system' a death of an inmate is no big deal - just 'thinning the herd' in their minds. Sad...

Thank you for the info - not much to look forward to at Chillicothe it seems...

bebopp7
03-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Yes he is doing better, but they took away his pain patch he has been getting for his back for years and told him to buy fish oil caplets in the store! What kind of a doctor is this, one of the side effects for fish oil is angina! Why would a person who has had a heart attack and triple bypass heart surgery want to take something that has a side effect of angina? They are telling the inmates what to buy at the store in the herbal section to replace what medicines they are taking away but evidently not looking up the side effects, so how many more inmates are tehy going to kill?

I would suggest that anyone who has a loved one in the Ohio Prisons write and tell them if the doctor suggest a herbal pill to replace any of their medicines to write home and have this pill looked up to see what all the side effects are first before taking anything or they may end up very sick or dead!

Madison is also enduring overcrowding and it is becoming somewhat of a clearinghouse for inmates in the same way CRC was. Send them there - give them 20 hours of classes or the like, then move them out to where they will be permanently. I think also, Madison has a higher rate of mentally ill people there (I hear stories of lots of people just walking in circles, talking to themselves all day long). Lots of violence and theft (but then again, I could be describing every single prison in Ohio). I hear it's pretty filthy too. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard they were putting a hold on transfers until they get the financial problems handled - that could be forever the way the state is going.

I hope your friend is doing better - what a horrible health scare to have and then have it being ignored - but I would guess to the 'system' a death of an inmate is no big deal - just 'thinning the herd' in their minds. Sad...

Thank you for the info - not much to look forward to at Chillicothe it seems...

SoozeCat
03-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Yes he is doing better, but they took away his pain patch he has been getting for his back for years and told him to buy fish oil caplets in the store! What kind of a doctor is this, one of the side effects for fish oil is angina! Why would a person who has had a heart attack and triple bypass heart surgery want to take something that has a side effect of angina? They are telling the inmates what to buy at the store in the herbal section to replace what medicines they are taking away but evidently not looking up the side effects, so how many more inmates are tehy going to kill?

I would suggest that anyone who has a loved one in the Ohio Prisons write and tell them if the doctor suggest a herbal pill to replace any of their medicines to write home and have this pill looked up to see what all the side effects are first before taking anything or they may end up very sick or dead!

That's awesome and perfect advice for all of us, bebopp -btw - have you contacted the Ohio ACLU about any of this? You know, with Ohio under the microscope right now for all of their prison screw-up's I'd say the timing is PERFECT for all of us to start bombarding them with our concerns - maybe a few notes to the network news shows as well. Hard for ANY of them to ignore intelligent organization!

I will say prayers for your friend that God will keep him safe and pain free in this sea of ignorance and insanity he has to live in. Take care of YOU too!

bebopp7
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
In the past we tried to get the newspapers and the tv stations in Ohio interested in the Ohio Prison system and the parole board they were not interested but if we could get enough signatures on a ballot and vote these people a pay decrease, and for them to pay for thier insurance and pension plans how many would stay? The media would e interested then!

That's awesome and perfect advice for all of us, bebopp -btw - have you contacted the Ohio ACLU about any of this? You know, with Ohio under the microscope right now for all of their prison screw-up's I'd say the timing is PERFECT for all of us to start bombarding them with our concerns - maybe a few notes to the network news shows as well. Hard for ANY of them to ignore intelligent organization!

I will say prayers for your friend that God will keep him safe and pain free in this sea of ignorance and insanity he has to live in. Take care of YOU too!

katydidit17
03-24-2011, 08:38 AM
In the past we tried to get the newspapers and the tv stations in Ohio interested in the Ohio Prison system and the parole board they were not interested but if we could get enough signatures on a ballot and vote these people a pay decrease, and for them to pay for thier insurance and pension plans how many would stay? The media would e interested then!

Try Channel 4, with everything going on with the DCR, I bet they would love it. On the news last night the public is pretty much against what Kasich wants to do.

BornFree
03-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Any information about Madison?

Hello SoozeCat:
My brother was moved to IHS and then to isolation at RCI Jan 10th, he was approved to transfer to Madison on Feb 25th, now just waiting for a bed. I can't help you with Chillicothe details, it is across the street from my brother at RCI. If you have time, I would appreciate any information about Madison. My brother is a laid back peaceful man, just trying to do his time, does not get into trouble. He is very creative, resourceful and smart. He plays and owns his own guitar, draws for his little ones and has been teaching himself Spanish. I know he would love to know anything and everything about Madison.

Thank you,
BornFree

SoozeCat
03-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Any information about Madison?

Hello SoozeCat:
My brother was moved to IHS and then to isolation at RCI Jan 10th, he was approved to transfer to Madison on Feb 25th, now just waiting for a bed. I can't help you with Chillicothe details, it is across the street from my brother at RCI. If you have time, I would appreciate any information about Madison. My brother is a laid back peaceful man, just trying to do his time, does not get into trouble. He is very creative, resourceful and smart. He plays and owns his own guitar, draws for his little ones and has been teaching himself Spanish. I know he would love to know anything and everything about Madison.

Thank you,
BornFree

Hi - just posted a long response for you on the other Madison thread you started - let me know if you need to know anything further! Happy to help if I know the answer!

RuthieBee
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a friend just moved to Chilli.... Thanks for the info!

HancocksWifey
03-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks
Tommysgurl

Hi TommysGurl My man is locked up in CCI doing another 22 months there I talk to him just about every to every other day. The calls are much cheaper if you can afford to get a phone with the same area code as what they're calling from (740), it makes them only about $1 each instead of about $5-10 depending what part of Ohio you're in. My fiancee is in one of the bed facility dorms. I go visit every few weeks, you can go twice a month ( it's a 2hr drive for me) I would be happy to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. The most important thing for them as he tells me is for you to keep in touch, letters mean the world! Hope I could help! Best of luck to you & your loved one!!

SoozeCat
03-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I too have a loved one there - he's in one of the dorms (very overcrowded - on a floor that should only hold 75 people, they have close to 200 people!) - yes there is violence (not as bad as Ross, but still, there are issues) and hustlers and a lot of thug mentality - but there's definitely choices that CAN be made there and programs to get involved in. Lots of people don't care that they're there and they don't care if they leave - so that's where the trouble is. There's also a ton of mental illness at this facility and probably 85 percent of the inmates (maybe more) are on behavioral meds. Many are developmentally challenged and probably don't even have a clue that they're IN prison. When the states across the country closed down the mental institutions, a significant number of the patients wound up inmates in their journeys. Very sad. But with ALL of that said, I am glad my loved one is there over any other camp, simply because it does seem to be the safest, with the most ethical guards - and with the least amount of violence. The food is horrid... The living conditions, the worst (once again, taking into consideration the age of the buildings and the overcrowding) - but still, a preferable location.

Midnyghtcloud
04-04-2012, 08:54 PM
My mans at CCI also, comes home next November. Having our first visit next fri since end of January. Can't wait for his love hugs and kisses =] keeps us both sane and our heads up

RuthieBee
04-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Keep me posted please, I will be visiting for the first time in May and I am driving from the other side of the state. I am extremely worried and nervous for my inmate as he is older and quite laid back but he is not getting along with someone and is having problems. He has already changed a lot and its only the first of 5 years. Thanks for any info on this facility, this thread was started 6 years ago, so current info is super appreciated.

It just dawned on me---I get to hug him?!?! I haven't hugged him since the day before he went to county in 2010!!!!

My mans at CCI also, comes home next November. Having our first visit next fri since end of January. Can't wait for his love hugs and kisses =] keeps us both sane and our heads up

RuthieBee
06-05-2012, 02:24 PM
My letter today states all the level 1's and 2's are being moved in the next few weeks to somewhere close to cinci...

SoozeCat
09-29-2012, 11:01 AM
My letter today states all the level 1's and 2's are being moved in the next few weeks to somewhere close to cinci...

Did your loved one get moved, Ruthie? Not all have been moved as of this date today, because my friend is still at CCI and there are no plans to move him (he's a 2, to be lowered to a 1 in December...)

HancocksWifey
10-13-2012, 08:41 PM
My loved one is still there and was told the same thing that they were going to be moved due to overcrowding. His judicial was also denied but I'm told thats common.. Anybody know if they are on lockdown today??

katydidit17
10-14-2012, 11:52 PM
I don't think the DRC... or is it DCR, either way inmates don't get either. It seems like they don't have a clue what they are doing but wasting OUR tax dollars. They keep dumping these older guys from Hocking and putting a 75 year old man on a top bunk :hmm::confused:. So many rumors.....:sleepy: and these guys running this broken system have master degrees :rolleyes:

RuthieBee
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I never made it in May. Requests ignored, a denial- that was reversed..and now I finally have my reservation. I am scared. I don't know all the rules-- worried about the vending machines, how much change to take--I heard I should take it in a baggie? How early should I show up--wheres the front door--- sigh. I'm naturally high-stung too, doesn't help the anxiety. :(

RuthieBee
12-12-2012, 06:16 PM
here is the post from my recent visit- http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7024952&postcount=3

RuthieBee
12-12-2012, 06:17 PM
here is the post from my recent visit- http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7024952&postcount=3