View Full Version : Dental work in federal prison

jjtweeks
09-16-2005, 09:15 AM
I am headed to prison in about a month and just wondering do they have decent dental care there.I have one tooth that is bothering me just a lil bit and dont think I can get in to my dentist before I have to go in.Will they actually try to fix problems with your teeth in there or will they just pull them out.And who pays for it ..do they take it out of what you make in there over time?Thanks

cjjack
09-16-2005, 09:38 AM
It depends on where you go. You will hear people say the dental care in fed prisons is hideous, but I can only speak from my own experience and say that I had good dental care while I was in. I had my teeth cleaned every 6 months and had a few fillings. And I had dental work at more than one prison. I had no complaints at all.

Cops wife
09-16-2005, 10:01 AM
My Son is in a State Prison in California. He went in with full braces on his teeth.
He still has a couple left on some of the teeth that have not fallen off or come loose and then been pried off by him. He has even had wires sticking out from the brackets into his cheek and mouth that he had to bend himself to keep from irritating the gums and/or teeth. I have been told in California the dental care exists of antibiotics to kill infection then removal of the problem tooth and thats about it.
I would get everything done I can prior to going in. Also, you may wait months for an appointment.

WolfiesGrlie
09-16-2005, 10:17 AM
From what i know of it is not good care at all

Zelda50
09-16-2005, 01:37 PM
I would strongly urge you to call your dentist and get an emergency appointment before you go in and get it taken care of. The dental care varies from prison to prison within the BOP. Many have terrible care. At two institutions, my husband was on a wait list for years to get his teeth cleaned and never did until he went to FCI Sheridan and then got a teeth cleaning within 6 months of arriving. Later, he had an abcess and they just pulled the tooth. So if it's at all possible for you to get it resolved now, do so because it's a gamble otherwise. Zelda

Zelda50
09-16-2005, 01:39 PM
As for who pays in prison? The BOP provides the dental care. Recently there was a rule change or proposal to have a small co-pay charged to the prisoner (like $2.00 or so) but I can't remember whether it's proposed or now in effect. Maybe someone else will know. Zelda

2nice
09-16-2005, 01:50 PM
As for who pays in prison? The BOP provides the dental care. Recently there was a rule change or proposal to have a small co-pay charged to the prisoner (like $2.00 or so) but I can't remember whether it's proposed or now in effect. Maybe someone else will know. Zelda

It IS in effect Zelda. My honey sent me the memo that they gave to him about it, a couple of weeks ago.

TxRhino
09-16-2005, 02:33 PM
I am afraid the BOP's attitude toward dental work is very similar the majority of the real world's attitude to dentistry. It is a luxury and not a necesity.

I think the quality of the care you recieve will also vay from place to place. My wife, whom is at BRYAN FPC says there is a 9 month wait to simple be seen by the dentist. Unfortuneately, Bryan's dentist only comes out 1 day a week (it is more like a 1/2 day). There are no "Hollywood Treatments" and simple fillings and extractions seem more the rule than the exception. My wife was also told she would have to be seen by the dentist and then she could schedule a cleaning if and only if the dentist felt it was warrented. So she will wait 6-9 months to be seen by the dentist and another 6-9 months to get her cleaning. Good thing she doesn''t have an emergency.

My best suggestion to everyone is get a dental exam before you go and try and get the repairs you need before you go inside. Your lack of dental hygiene will not be BOP's emergency. Good luck and ....

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

cjjack
09-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Bryan used to have very good dental care. The dentist was there 5 days a week and there was a dental assistant program for inmates. What a shame it has changed.

titantoo
09-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't really know for certain but I have read a fair amount that says.....do you best to get your teeth fixed before you become incarcerated and then hope you never really have a need for a dentist or a doctor.
I heard only a few days ago of terrible medical care in FPC Danbury.
There are however, exceptions...for example I had heard of good dental care in Sing Sing.

jjtweeks
09-16-2005, 06:14 PM
I guess I will try to get into dentist somehow before i go.I just spent about 1300 this year on my teeth .That was fairly recent and over the past year .I think I just have one cavity left to fix and its not to serious but I guess I should go for the sure thing and try to get it taken care while Im still out if possible.Going to FCI Morgantown.Havent heard anything about anyones experiences with dentist there.thanks for all the info

manchester03
09-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Pull or fill is the BOP dental policy I think! I had a tooth that bothered me for a month, they didnt pull it until it finally got abcessed. Plus they started pulling before the novacaine kicked in. Last I heard(late last year) Morgantown was about the same as where I was, not too good, sorry.

flygirlaa2
09-17-2005, 10:01 AM
From what I have heard of it, there is a waiting list. Depending on where you go will depend on how long your wait. Are you self surrendering to your destination or will you have to go thru a transit center? Because that could add to your wait.

nelliebly
10-14-2005, 10:24 PM
go to the dentist before going to camp....federal bop considers prisoners teeth disposable...if it hurts we can pull it! no fillings, root canals etc...
If your tooth is repairable have it done dont count on the government to fix anything...

bobibc
10-14-2005, 11:59 PM
I Have To Say I Received Great Care In Lexington. I Had A Cleaning About Every Six Months Several Fillings And A Root Canal. There Were Inmates Working With The Dentist. There Was Dental Sick Call 5 Days A Week For Quick Repairs Or Pulling A Tooth. I Suppose It Depends Where You Are At.

magnolia27
10-16-2005, 02:20 AM
My guy just had 2 root canals and cleaning, said it wasn't too bad considering it was "BOP" care. He's at Texarkana FCI (low)

lora7518
02-17-2010, 05:27 PM
ooooo