View Full Version : Are there attorneys who specialize in parole, probation, etc

parchman wife
09-12-2005, 05:35 AM
Are there attorneys who specialize in parole, probation, etc?? I've been doing much reseach, and I disagree with MDOC's opinion that my husband isn't eligible for parole. I'm not sure I'm right, of course, which is why I'll check with a lawyer. I'm thinking right now of seeing the guy who my county hires for public defender work, thinking he'll be familiar with MDOC. I'd like to find someone else, but just aren't sure who.

Thanks,
Tracy

PTO-29412
09-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I do not know of any Parole attorneys in Mississippi. The only advice I can give you is to check MDOC's website, contact your legislature or senator.

parchman wife
09-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks, Jonathan. I looked at all the laws I could find again. (I had found one using a link Amy posted, thanks!) I decided to send my question to the link on the MDOC site that said "parole board". I don't really want to fool with a lawyer unless I can't get my questions answered anywhere else.

For anyone interested, here's a copy of the email I just sent. Any tips or info or whatever two cents anyone wants to add, I'd be glad to see. This is a maddening process. So much to learn in so little time, and with such "high" stakes.

email ..........

I'm not sure if I'm asking this question in the right place, but here goes.

My husband is **edited for privacy by staff**. He is serving a 3 yr sentence for felony DUI. He was first on probation, then violated and sentenced to prison.

I found S.B. 2988, and section "g" seems to apply to my husband. The woman that I talked to in the records dept at MDOC said that because of the probation violation, he isn't eligible for parole.

The definition of first-time offender says "a person who at the time of sentencing has not been convicted of a felony on a previous occasion in any court or courts of the US,". Does this apply to my husband's original sentencing for the felony he's incarcerated for?

Again, I'm not sure if this is the right place to send this question, but I sure would appreciate any help you can be.

Thank you,

usero3967
12-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Are there attorneys who specialize in parole, probation, etc?? I've been doing much reseach, and I disagree with MDOC's opinion that my husband isn't eligible for parole. I'm not sure I'm right, of course, which is why I'll check with a lawyer. I'm thinking right now of seeing the guy who my county hires for public defender work, thinking he'll be familiar with MDOC. I'd like to find someone else, but just aren't sure who.

Thanks,
Tracy hi, i think public defenders dont give hoot about any of his client.the 1 that was my son appointed lawyer,i called ncalled himfor yr. thinkin he needed more info on my son (2 more boys) situation,it was witnesses about the situation.dont misunderstan me,becuz i kno my son (14yrs old)6/20/2003 did the crime,few other things as well goes with this situation,the public defender didnt even talk to me,my daughter till we get in court that mornin.(this is whole yr or more later)this is only x he talk to us.my point is my son railroaded by justice system in leflore county.the police dept,investagators,sheriff dept,pub def.i am the only one who cares.i have call all over trying to get help,i talk to lawyers to file a contigency ,never get back to me.it hard to get legal aid as well.i will say that my son hadnt been home 24hrs. from columbia trainin school b4 he n jail again.this x no dentention,adult court.i found laws nation wide regardless of crime(arm robbery)no juvenile should b in sight n sound of adults (in adult facility no longer than 6 hrs)my son was in adults sounds sights more than year.i still dom my research all mississippi juvy laws,etc.all my son civil rights were violated i not giving up.i know i cant afford lawyer.my son will b home 6/2010.i just pray i do get to see him at home & free.i visit him on 10/19/2006 in shackles,handcuff,hungry.i cant accept the thing i cannot change.mdoc is always gonna look out for theirselves.i printed out the prison hand book,or just read it,it will answer your questions,it take alot for me to understan it,but i read until i can.the state get so much money for inmates then still i send $ into my son account.i am thinkin why send $ & state is taking care of inmates.but i know that answer is gonna be only so much mdoc can do for inmate.that $ is goin other places,this is just my thoughts.it is sites that you can find out about your situation.
good luck!!!:)