View Full Version : Effective 11-1-05 COLORADO DOC will no longer be taking paper money orders

scaredinlove
09-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Posted 9/7/05 on Canteen Channel
Effective November 1, 2005, all incoming deposits from your family and/or friends will be required to be made by Electronic Funds Transfer(EFT). DOC will no longer accept paper money orders for deposits to inmate accounts..More information will be made available..Look for a flyer detailing this information in each Canteen order this week.

rlewis729
09-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Is this only for Colorado or everywhere?

24jf
09-10-2005, 01:51 PM
How do we do EFT?? Is this another way for them DOC to get a kick back from Western Union and the like?? Anything to make our lives miserable!!

MiaBellaAngela
09-10-2005, 04:08 PM
This is insane. How many poor people have computers??? UGH! Yes I have one but many people who visit inmates do not have one and this is just another way for them to mess with the inmates!

My guess is also that staff might have been stealing the money orders and this way that is eliminated.

Lillybee
09-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Can they make it any more difficult? I hope this doesn't happen in all prisons.

24jf
09-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Here is an e-mail I received today from the DOC Controller in regards to this issue:

The DOC management recently decided that the EFT method of deposits
would be a more convenient method for offender families and friends to
send funds by using one of three EFT methods: 1. via the internet with a
debit or credit card; 2. via the phone with a debit or credit card; or
3. in-person with cash at convenient locations. The funds are available
to offenders the next day after the EFT transaction. This method is
also efficient for government. Through electronic data matching we
insure the proper inmate account is credited the funds accurately and in
an efficient manner. The change to EFT is effective November 1, 2005.

There are two providers of EFT services, JPay and Western Union. JPay
EFT transactions will start as low as $2.95 via the internet and by
phone will start at $3.95 effective November 1, 2005. In-person with
cash cost is $5.00 at Ace Cash Express Locations and start at $7.95 at
Western Union locations. Western Union is located in grocery and retail
stores throughout the country. Western Union's website is
www.westernunion.com (phone 1-800-325-6000 for locations and
1-800-634-3422 EFT by phone) and JPay is www.jpay.com 1-800-574-JPAY
(phone 1-800-634-3422).

Dennis Diaz
DOC Controller
P.O. Box 1010
Canon City, CO 81215
Ph (719) 269-4049
Fax (719) 269-4129

angelica916
09-12-2005, 08:37 PM
I send my money wester union already. Easier and the accountability gives me a piece of mind. Also it posts to his account within 15 min. The fee is a little high though.

rlewis729
09-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Here is an e-mail I received today from the DOC Controller in regards to this issue:

The DOC management recently decided that the EFT method of deposits
would be a more convenient method for offender families and friends to
send funds by using one of three EFT methods: 1. via the internet with a
debit or credit card; 2. via the phone with a debit or credit card; or
3. in-person with cash at convenient locations. The funds are available
to offenders the next day after the EFT transaction. This method is
also efficient for government. Through electronic data matching we
insure the proper inmate account is credited the funds accurately and in
an efficient manner. The change to EFT is effective November 1, 2005.

There are two providers of EFT services, JPay and Western Union. JPay
EFT transactions will start as low as $2.95 via the internet and by
phone will start at $3.95 effective November 1, 2005. In-person with
cash cost is $5.00 at Ace Cash Express Locations and start at $7.95 at
Western Union locations. Western Union is located in grocery and retail
stores throughout the country. Western Union's website is
www.westernunion.com (http://www.westernunion.com) (phone 1-800-325-6000 for locations and
1-800-634-3422 EFT by phone) and JPay is www.jpay.com (http://www.jpay.com) 1-800-574-JPAY
(phone 1-800-634-3422).

Dennis Diaz
DOC Controller
P.O. Box 1010
Canon City, CO 81215
Ph (719) 269-4049
Fax (719) 269-4129

Is this all states? Or just CO?

jblovesdb
09-12-2005, 09:11 PM
This is soo dumb...so now I gotta pay and extra $3.00 just to send him some money??? And then the DOC will STILL take out 10% of the money I sent him:blah: Is this ALL states??? I hope not...but I won't be surprised!!! Thanks for the update!! I hate the system:mad:

24jf
09-13-2005, 06:04 AM
I believe at this point it is just Colorado and the information as far as rates are a little misleading from the research I have done... At least for me to send from PA to CO. For Western Union it is $16.00 and up... For JPay the minimum fee is $3.95 and it goes up from there based on the amount you send... This is all in addition to the 20% the already take out. My question is more convenient for whom?? Just reinforces the fact that the system is all about money!!!

angelica916
09-13-2005, 08:41 AM
I pay 9.95 regardless of the amount I send him. That is the western Union Quick collect charge.

galgrif
09-13-2005, 10:32 PM
So, Colo DOC takes a portion of the money that we send? How much? Does it cap out? What is it for? If someone already has money when they arrive in the prison do they take it then too? Also, if they are not handling the money at the DOC facility then how can they charge a fee?

24jf
09-14-2005, 06:31 AM
In may case they take 20% from all monies I send (not sure if this pertains to all CO offenders)... In our case it is for mandatory withholding for court ordered restitution and/or child support and will continue to be withheld. Not sure about your other questions in regards to it capping out... I'm sure in our case it won't because despite him being incarcerated the child support continues to pile up. From my understanding they do not charge a handling fee when we send in money... the fee is what jpay or westernunion will charge for using their services (which I'm pretty sure the DOC sees a portion of). I was informed yesterday by Mr. Diaz (CO Controller) that jpay.com will be reducing their fees by $1.00 the 1st of November.

I sent Mr. Diaz an e-mail yesterday giving him my perspective on the situation and telling him if they were considering the inmate's, their families and friends they would give us the option on wiring the money or using a money order... if anyone else would like to write a letter or e-mail I can give you his address. I doubt it will do any good, but it sure doesn't hurt to let our feelings be known!!

babycow
09-14-2005, 07:30 AM
i tried sending money western union yesterday 3 times. The fee to send $60 was
$12.95!!! And even still, they make you sign up for "Verified by Visa" to confirm your account. What a bunch of BANANAS! It wouldn't confirm my account after I did that, and it wasn't a case of not enough available credit on my card either! So after spending 30minutes on Western site, still no money honey!

24jf
09-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Any reason why you are using westernunion vs. jpay?? I'm asking because I think my man is low on funds and I've been thinking about using jpay so the funds are available next Tuesday... Not to mention jpay is cheaper, that's me always looking for a bargain lol.

babycow
09-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Ladies, I just successfully send money through JPAY, using the same credit card for the same $60 I tried yesterday. Not only was it Half the cost of Western Union, but it also went through!!!!! It was only $6.95 vs $12.95 western union.

galgrif
09-16-2005, 05:28 PM
Babycow, do you guys get hit for the 20%? I have asked my son to see what he can find out about this, but since he hasn't even gotten to the DRDC facility yet he has to rely on what other inmates tell him. Did you see the escape at the WCJC last night?

babycow
09-17-2005, 08:41 AM
20% is deducted from all monies recieved from inmates that owe restitution. This includes court costs, repayment to victims....etc... Once the full amount is paid they do not take the 20% of their money.

babycow
09-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Doc never notified him that he had recieved money!!! but yes he did it. Hemissed ordering for canteen that week. but he checked his balance a week later and had to ask where the additional funds came from....

24jf
09-26-2005, 06:37 AM
Hmmm.. I'll have to check with Roy and see how and if they notified him when the funds posted last week.

seansbabyluv
11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Anyone who wants to voice their OPINION about this crap is invited to the Denver Women's Correctional Facility in Montbello this Thursday at 1 p.m. There will be reps from DOC there. Anyone who posts for Colorado prisons should also join Colorado-Cure. It's a Yahoo group. Just go to groups, colorado and type in colorado cure in the search...

This was in the Denver Post last Thursday...GO REGGIE!

reggie rivers
New DOC transfer fees unreasonable
By Reggie Rivers (reggierivers2002@yahoo.com)
While the rest of us went to the polls this week to vote on various tax measures, the Colorado Department of Corrections imposed, without a vote, a fee increase of more than 500 percent on families who send money to their incarcerated loved ones.

In prisons, the state pays for food, lodging and a few other basic services, but inmates are required to purchase their own toothpaste, shampoo, shaving supplies, soap, other toiletries, and over-the-counter medications from the prison commissary at regular retail prices. Inmates also must pay $5 to visit a health care professional if they're sick or injured.

Many convicts are unable to make these commissary and medical purchases on their own, because state law caps their income at 60 cents per day. Therefore, they rely on family members to send them a few dollars each month.

Under the system that was in place until last week, a grandmother on a fixed income who wanted to deposit $25 into her incarcerated grandson's commissary account could have gone to any post office, purchased a money order for 90 cents, and mailed it to the prison.

However, as of Tuesday, the DOC announced it "will no longer accept paper money orders sent by mail," according to a memo the department sent to families. Instead, "all incoming deposits to inmate accounts from family members and/or friends will be required to be sent by Electronic Fund Transfer," or EFT.

The DOC has made a deal with JPay and Western Union so that inmates' families can either walk into a wiring location with cash, or use their credit cards to make commissary account deposits by phone or Internet.
If Grandma walks into a JPay location (available only in Ace Cash Express Stores), she'll have to pay $5 to send $25 to her grandson. If she makes the deposit online, the charge will be $5.95, and by phone it's $6.95.
If Grandma uses Western Union (with outlets in most King Soopers and Safe- way grocery stores), the fees are even higher. If she makes the transaction during her regular shopping trip, she'll pay $7.95 to send $25. Online, the charge will be

$9.95, and by phone it will be $11.95.

I don't blame JPay or Western Union for their rates, because they're for-profit enterprises, and consumers can choose to use them or not. If you're desperate to send or receive money within hours, wire services are quite useful. However, if you deposit money into someone's account on a regular basis (e.g., a student in college or an inmate in a prison), wiring it every month would be foolish because the fees are so high.

The DOC is forcing every inmate's family, regardless of their financial circumstances, to use a foolish and expensive mechanism to make regular monthly deposits.

Dennis Diaz, Controller for the DOC, said, "We started this out as a pilot program back in August. We made \[EFT\] an option for families to send money in, and it was working so well, and we got great feedback, so we decided to make it mandatory."

The DOC memo announcing this new policy is dated Sept. 6, so the pilot program must have been brief. But if Diaz is right about the feedback, there's no reason to make this rule mandatory. The DOC should simply keep EFTs on the menu as an option, but continue to accept postal money orders. If families are willing to pay the higher fees, then they'll naturally select EFTs.

However, I suspect that most inmates' families already are suffering financially and emotionally, and they can ill-afford to pay 500 to 1,200 percent more just to make a deposit. The DOC should reconsider this unfair policy.

Former Bronco Reggie Rivers is the host of "Global Agenda" Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. on KBDI-Channel 12. His column appears every Friday.

seansbabyluv
11-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Also the private prisons, i.e., Crowley County and 4 others will not be on the EFT system until February next year so don't even bother trying to send any money to your guy/gal through JPay or Western Union. The private facilities are still accepting money orders until next year!

Cindy

NotSoPatiently
11-07-2005, 10:56 PM
If anyone goes to this conference, please voice an opinion about the 20% the state takes too. I realize it is to be used for his fines and I was also told court ordered chid support. But why should my money I am now out here earning on my own or his grandmother or mothers money be kept for his fines or child support of a child that is not mine nor do we ever get to see. I don't feel it is right now that I am a sole supporter of our family that my income should have to pay these things when I did not do the wrong but want to give him a little money to get the neccesities while he is there. So if he works keep some or all of that money, I don't care but don't keep my money for something I didn't do or a child that I am not reponsible for when I have 2 of my own I have to raise.

seansbabyluv
11-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Tracie...you're wasting your time on that one. That was legislated...it's the law. The EFT is not...that's an Admin Reg through DOC.

Cindy

NotSoPatiently
11-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Well that just sucks. Might as well send my money to his ex wife huh. I don't mind it going to his fines cuz well if ya knew the whole story, it is somewhat my fault he is back in the system, but not bad fault just without thinking packed a gun in our camping stuff and as a prior felon he is not suppose to be around guns. But anyway - thanks for the reply I just don't think I should be held responsible sorta to occuring child support dues.

debcat
12-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Does Huerfano County CC allow these money transfers? It is CCA run, which I hear is bad! When I just tried to send funds via western union, this prison wasn't recognized. When I tried via Jpay, my brothers DOC# was recognized! Help!! I need to get him money ASAP.
Thanks & Happy Holidays.

seansbabyluv
12-22-2005, 10:01 AM
The private prisons will be accepting money orders until Feb. 1, 2006. They are not on the system yet.

debcat
12-26-2005, 10:16 PM
I just found out last week that the privately ran facilites do not yet accept EFT pmts. - Paper money-orders only. However, I understand they will be required to accept the EFT methods as of Feb. 2006. This will be a god-send because I heard paper money orders take longer to get to our loved ones!

seansbabyluv
12-26-2005, 11:11 PM
They don't take LONGER to get there, they are purposely taking their sweet time posting them because they WANT to JUSTIFY switching to EFT's. It might be fine for someone out of state, but I am PISSED about having it cost 500% more to send money to my husband.

babygirl350
12-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Well I certainly hope this does not catch on in other states as well. It is difficult enough sometimes to send money, let alone now having to have extra money just to send it. I mean yes, it is faster for those that have to send it from a distance, but in alot of cases (such as mine), my husband receives my mail the next day, so there is no rush for a money order to get there in 15 min or a day. Just my thoughts.