View Full Version : New bills introduced today (9/08/05) regarding Truth in Sentencing

mi_girl_2004
09-08-2005, 08:42 AM
These bills were introduced today. I haven't had a chance to read them all the way through, but at first glance, it looks like a proposed END TO TRUTH IN SENTENCING !!!!!!!!

Corrections; prisoners; provisions of prison code relating to disciplinary time; eliminate, and broaden applicability of good time and disciplinary credits. HB 5130 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2005-HB-5130)

Corrections; prisoners; good time and disciplinary credits; restore for all prisoners and eliminate disciplinary time. HB 5129 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2005-HB-5129)

Criminal procedure; sentencing; provisions concerning sentencing multiple felonies; eliminate reference to disciplinary time. HB 5131 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2005-HB-5131)

Jenny
:D

chattyk
09-08-2005, 09:02 AM
These Bills were introduced and enrolled 9-7-2005. They just need to be signed by the Govenor. Due to overcrowding and budget issues I can't see why she would not sign it.

mi_girl_2004
09-08-2005, 09:17 AM
These Bills were introduced and enrolled 9-7-2005. They just need to be signed by the Govenor. Due to overcrowding and budget issues I can't see why she would not sign it.
Chatty - these bills were introduced by the House yesterday. They still have to pass the House, be introduced to the Senate, be passed by the Senate, and finally be signed by the governor. There has to be fiscal analyses and probably many revisions. This is just the first step in what will probably be a very long, drawn out process, but it's a start!!!!!

Jenny

chattyk
09-08-2005, 10:34 AM
thanks for the clarafication, looks like the attorneys I work with are wrong.

mi_girl_2004
09-08-2005, 10:45 AM
No problem :thumbsup: I've been known to be wrong a few (just a minor understatement) times myself. ;)

Jenny

foreverlee&I
09-09-2005, 05:04 PM
would this apply to SO's as well?

whisper248
09-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I believe that if it is passed it would refer to all inmates.

DJB's Wife
09-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a bill passed and made a law?

mikesangel04
09-09-2005, 07:26 PM
hi ladies, seeing this really makes my day.......ive been really waiting to hear ANYTHING about truth in sentancing! it will bring him home so much sooner!!! could you keep me updated on anything you hear???? please!!! where do you find this info? thanks so much!!!

Tuberose
09-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Looks like they are singling out drug crimes as different along with 3 or more felonies. But in general it looks like they are at least begining to restore reason to the judicial system. Now they need to look at the sentencing guidelines that are really dictates and look at the way they lump all SO's together and punish them over and over and over again.

shell021001
09-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!! That's all...maybe the insanity is finally coming to an end!

Michelle

luckyanna
09-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Are these bills retroactive (do they do anything for those serving sentences under TIS) or do they only apply to those convicted in the future? Also do they affect violent offenders?

whisper248
09-11-2005, 06:06 AM
We dont really know at this point, it can be a long process, so just have to wait and see what and how it plays out...but I am sure praying that it will pass, and be retroactive for all inmates.

StacysWar030
09-17-2005, 08:58 AM
This is absolutely GREAT news. Since October is fast approaching, I'm wondering if they'll pull these bills in to review before then. I've seen bills go fast thru the senate, and others never move. It's a waiting game. THANK GOD it's finally been written up tho.

Stacy

whisper248
09-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I am so keeping my fingers crossed on this one also!!!!!

KarrieMI
09-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Well Just to mention my Honey told me that it's already in there law books that they have out that they are bringing back "good~time" so we'll have to see what exactly happens Huh?

KarrieMI

chick3886
09-18-2005, 08:06 AM
does this mean that anyone who was sentenced under TIS will be eligible to get our early? What about Drug, and Larceny in a Building Charges?

SPACEDOGGSWIFE
10-04-2005, 03:55 PM
hey i've heard from my hubby and he heard the this was passed oct. 1st.......was it? i'm trying to look up the paper it was in casue he told me it was in a news paper about it being passed.

Spacedoggswife

whisper248
10-04-2005, 05:10 PM
It was not passed, only introduced for changes, it is still in committee and nothing has moved on it. The more people that write their Reps the better. I sent a letter off Friday, recieved reply today that it was recieved. Keep it in there minds, the more letters the more it stays in front of them.

misshim138
10-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Write or email? And either way, who do we send our letters to? I am hoping that the system will finally wake up and realize that TIS doesn't work in any way, since the parole board will not let anyone out (or very few) after they have served their minimum. Funny how long this process will take; passing TIS took no time at all!

dmpdbd
10-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Here is the link to each member of the Judiciary Committee. If you click on each name you can get their respective e-mail address. If we are going to bombard (nicely) the committee to consider the bills we think are important, let's hit everybody, not just VanRegenmorter.

http://house.michigan.gov/committeei...tees=judiciary

shell021001
10-06-2005, 04:14 AM
**could someone please post a copy of a letter they have sent? It would give me a better idea how to phrase one and exactly what to write so as not to offend anyone.

Thanks a million!!

Michelle

StormyNites
10-06-2005, 04:42 AM
**could someone please post a copy of a letter they have sent? It would give me a better idea how to phrase one and exactly what to write so as not to offend anyone.

Thanks a million!!

Michelle

Yes..please I would like that too

misshim138
10-06-2005, 05:48 AM
I would like that also. I'm not sure how to phrase the letter to get their attention and get them to listen. Thanks.

carste25
10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
I basically said in mine that many prisoners can be safely released and are working hard to improve their lives while in there. This would give many of them another positive thing they could start new lives sooner and would try to stay focused. I also said that I think it is sad that our corrections budget keeps getting larger when violent crime has dropped. One more thing I mentioned was I think it is sad that we are keeping so many locked up that could be released but school programs and funding continues to be cut. To me they are the future and many of the sports programs and activities keep many students out of trouble and are good for many that don't have a good home life. After all they are the future. We are cutting their education so what happens when they grow up and turn to crime. Studies have proven that a lot of these programs keep kids out of trouble.

carste25
10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
I basically said in mine that many prisoners can be safely released and are working hard to improve their lives while in there. This would give many of them another positive thing they could start new lives sooner and would try to stay focused. I also said that I think it is sad that our corrections budget keeps getting larger when violent crime has dropped. One more thing I mentioned was I think it is sad that we are keeping so many locked up that could be released but school programs and funding continues to be cut. To me they are the future and many of the sports programs and activities keep many students out of trouble and are good for many that don't have a good home life. After all they are the future. We are cutting their education so what happens when they grow up and turn to crime. Studies have proven that a lot of these programs keep kids out of trouble.

Ryan'sWife
10-17-2005, 04:53 PM
the link did work for me. Can you please post it again?
I am praying so hard for this to happen. My husband is in prison for a DUI causing death. It was his first offense and has never been in trouble before and he got six to fifteen years. Right after the accident he changed his life completely. He stopped drinking all together, went to AA (voluntarily), found God and went to church regularly, and turned his life around. He hasn't gotten into any trouble in prison at all...one minor ticket for having a magazine on his desk (how dumb is that?) that's all. He goes to church twice a week and is trying to get into AA. AA is his only recomendation....but go figure he can't get into it because they is a HUGE waiting list. If he was HOME he could be going to AA every single night and actually DOING something to better his life. Instead he's just sitting in prison taking up space.
Wow, didn't mean to write so much sorry. I just want my honey home. :(

jasonsprincess
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Jason just called me....I guess they posted these bills on the wall at Muskegon. The bill states that each prisoner (as long as there was no misconduct for the month) will receive a certain number of "good time" days per month, depending on the year of their sentace they are in. And from what I can tell it will take effect for everyone. So hopefully this gets pushed through quickly!!!

zhane
10-19-2005, 05:50 PM
If it does then I wonder if the individuals that receive flops also be credited according?

chatykathy1
10-19-2005, 07:07 PM
up in chippewa all the guys are talking about this. my son wants me to go to lansing and sit on the steps!!!!!(tee hee). but really....how cool would this be? does anyone know if this has ever gone before the senate before?????

ryancourtney
10-20-2005, 02:51 AM
Mi_girl. Hear you. Let's cross our fingers. Chatty's "attorneys" are wrong, which prompted me to join this site tonight.:angry: No love lost, Chatty, I just want to discuss it with everyone, and I think that I have something to add...

chatykathy1
10-31-2005, 03:28 PM
ok...so whats happening? i don't know if i am doing this right or not? can anyone read this? i am so lost on this site!
i don't think this has passed,,,,but if it has how do we "on the outside" find out??????:confused:

dmpdbd
10-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Nothing has passed. All these bills are still in the Judiciary Committee of the House. They must first get out of committee, then get voted on by the House and if passed, they go to the Senate, who probably will send them to the Senate Judiciary Committee, and if they ever get out of that committe, they must be passed by the Senate. If they are passed by the House and the Senate, then they go to the Governor for her approval or rejection. It can take a long time. Read the other posts in the legislative threads. There is more info, addresses to write to....we must keep these active somehow so they move along.

StacysWar030
11-01-2005, 04:33 AM
We have to keep these bills on the minds of our legislator's. We have to let them know the the public agress with these bills. WE are the public ;) Writing is the only way to get this moving.

Stacy

Mammiesita
11-01-2005, 05:02 AM
I've writen my letters and have sent them off this past weekend . I've emailed them all as well and today I'm gonna call. Just tryin to do my part. I've even got a few friends who's husbands were locked up to write as well.

debbee214
11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
i wonder if this will affect inmates who have been returned to prison for parole rule violations...

Neath715
01-16-2007, 01:16 PM
any news on Tis yet? Have heard there will be good time.

mlynnm
01-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Sorry but nothing has changed, personally I highly doubt it will anytime soon. :(

FrankysBaby
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I can NOT believe these bills are just SITTING there.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(v0bsjyrsfiez40e4ccstsabn))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=2005-HB-5131

southern2005gal
06-16-2007, 09:29 AM
:broken: My boyfriend was sentenced on 04/13/07. He was sentenced on a 3rd offence OUIL. They also put in the Truth In Sentencing. He now is serving 23-60 mo. The guide lines on this was supposed to be 7-23 mo. I'm so lost in all this mess. Also why the guidelines deviated so much. Any help would be appriciated. Thankyou.

jenjenb07
06-16-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. My husband had exactly the same charge, and he was sentenced 8mo - 5yrs. He served the 8 mos, was paroled, and then violated his parole, and sent back for 12 months. So, I don't know how they decided the term unless there were other circumstances with the DUI. I would think if it was his first 3rd DUI, he would have received the same (8mos-5yr). Does he have a prior 3rd DUI?

PTO-97580
06-24-2007, 02:41 PM
:broken: My boyfriend was sentenced on 04/13/07. He was sentenced on a 3rd offence OUIL. They also put in the Truth In Sentencing. He now is serving 23-60 mo. The guide lines on this was supposed to be 7-23 mo. I'm so lost in all this mess. Also why the guidelines deviated so much. Any help would be appriciated. Thankyou.
This sentence is within the guidelines. The guidelines of 7-23 are for the minimum sentence. The satutory max for this offense is 60 months, so a sentence with a minimum of 23 mos to max of 60 mos is within the guidelines. He just got the high end on the minimum side

inmateswife
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I think it would be best for ALL of us to contact our local Senate Rep. and ask them. They HAVE to know all this ... lol - I hope this gives some ideas to check into with our questions. My hubby called me tonight and asked the same thing as he has been hearing different things from its been passed to its been passed BUT ..... the MDOC is asking for it to be withheld from everyone because they dont want it to go through (trying to recall it so its NOT passed).

inmateswife

Lions Heart
01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
The MDOC wouldn't have the authority to withhold the information. Any bill that gets passed is public knowledge even if MDOC doesn't like it. These are all rumors. The Bills are still sitting on someone's desk and haven't progressed. This is a shame!!