View Full Version : Bills introduced, questions??

whisper248
09-08-2005, 06:09 AM
I recieved and email generated by legislature and I wanted to share this. I do not understand everything, but I believe what I am reading is that they are giving back good time to inmates in the juvenile facilities. there was also bills introduced to give back good time to all other inmates, these have just been introduced, not passed, however it looks as if the one for juvenile inmates was passed. Could someone that understands this better please let us know? These are the Senate journals to look at: HB 5129 of 2005, HB 5130 of 2005, HB 5131 of 2005. Also HB 4980 which from what I am reading they will now tax inmates for some personel items purchased.

chattyk
09-08-2005, 09:16 AM
It looks like House Bill 5129,5130 and 5131 have passed the House and Senate and now need to be signed by the Govenor. They would reinstate good time credit and eliminate disciplinary credits.
Lets all cross our fingers on this one.
The website is www.legislature.mi.gov (http://www.legislature.mi.gov) then type in House Bill#

mi_girl_2004
09-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Actually, these bills appear (I'm at work, so I haven't had the chance to read through them all) to be what we've been waiting for for so long - an end the Truth In Sentencing!!!!!!!!!! They were introduced today and have a long, long way to go, but it's about damn time :thumbsup:

None of the bills have passed either the House or Senate. I'm sure we'll all keep an eye on them.

Jenny
:D

chattyk
09-08-2005, 10:59 AM
According to the Michigan Legislature Re:Bills 5129,5130,5131
House Introduced Bill
As Passed by the House
As Passed by the Senate
House Enrolled Bill (Enrolled bill is the version passed in identical form by both houses of the Legislature)

mi_girl_2004
09-08-2005, 11:37 AM
According to the Michigan Legislature Re:Bills 5129,5130,5131
House Introduced Bill
As Passed by the House
As Passed by the Senate
House Enrolled Bill (Enrolled bill is the version passed in identical form by both houses of the Legislature)
Those boxes are on all the bill pages. If you look closer, you'll see that there is only one of the boxes with anything to "look at" (can't think of a better way to put it right now :) ). These bills were only introduced yesterday - they have a LONG way to go :thumbsup:

Jenny
:D

whisper248
09-08-2005, 01:34 PM
i know that they had just been introduced...and atleast that is a great start to hopefully something changing. I just hope they dont drag there feet, I for one am praying they make these changes, the sooner the better. Now what about the one regarding the juvenile inmates, that one seemed to have gone a step further then just introduction to senate? If they did past that one, then hopefully the others will follow fairly quick.

dmpdbd
09-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Query - After reading through all this what I wonder is, does any of this do any good for the habitual offender? I get so confused...but I don't think it helps much. My guy I think FINALLY has his head on straight and needs a break badly.

DJB's Wife
09-08-2005, 06:57 PM
It's a good start. Does anyone know generally how long it takes to have it passed or shot down?