View Full Version : Prisoners Riot and take Hostages in New Orleans after Katrina - confirmed

Willsgirl
08-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Aug. 30, 2005 Inmates at a prison in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans have rioted, attempted to escape and are now holding hostages, a prison commissioner told ABC News affiliate WBRZ in Baton Rouge, La.

Orleans Parish Prison Commissioner Oliver Thomas reported the incident to WBRZ.

A deputy at Orleans Parish Prison, his wife and their four children have been taken hostage by rioting prisoners after riding out Hurricane Katrina inside the jail building, according to WBRZ.

Officials are expected to hold a press conference regarding the riots at 9 p.m. ET.

A woman interviewed by WBRZ said her son, a deputy at the prison whose family is among the hostages, told her that many of the prisoners have fashioned homemade weapons. Her son had brought his family there hoping they would be safe during the storm.

haswtch
08-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Gosh. Irresistable opportunity I suppose

David
08-31-2005, 07:45 AM
Well, glad to get some confirmation on this story but you know what... Those bastards should have moved those prisoners BEFORE the storm! What the hell do they expect when all hell is breaking loose and the last thing on many officials minds are the safety of the prisoners? I hope that guard and his family are alright but I would venture a guess that if they had moved them before the storm like many other counties did this wouldn't be happening now!

jenn26
08-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Fed-X how true is that! I was thinking the same thing while I was watching the news! They should of thought of the inmates also! What a sad situation! My thoughts and prayers are with them! Jenn

mandi7k3
08-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Although this is a terrible situation, I agree with fed-ex. They should've been a little more intelligent and evacuated the prison with the rest of the city. Just plain ignorance. The entire city matters, but the prisoners don't? Typical mindset....angers me very much. I'm praying for all those affected.

Amy
08-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Although this is a terrible situation, I agree with fed-ex. They should've been a little more intelligent and evacuated the prison with the rest of the city. Just plain ignorance. The entire city matters, but the prisoners don't? Typical mindset....angers me very much. I'm praying for all those affected.

Ditto that. Even MS evacuated the prisoners who were in the most danger.

deb
08-31-2005, 08:01 PM
If it were me in a cell and katrina had come bringing floods and the high winds etc... I'd be trying everything to get out for my safety as well as to make it to my family and be with them to help make sure they're ok and take care of them....

They needed to move these folks prior to katrina coming...

Deb

MrsWest11
08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Ditto that. Even MS evacuated the prisoners who were in the most danger.

I agree with y'all...when Ivan hit..they evacuated our prisons BEFORE it hit...why? cause it's common sense...I will never understand why they felt like these inmates would be SAFE during a monster hurricane...in a city that is BELOW SEA LEVEL!! :blah: Ughhh