View Full Version : Orleans Parish Prison Inmates being held on freeway bridge in a heard (STILL)

David
08-30-2005, 05:35 PM
I was just watching CNN and low and behold, they were playing video of people wearing similar colored clothing. While zoomed in I noticed they were mostly sitting orderly an not moving. I thought that was strange and then I noticed som people standing had guns. I thought inmates and a few minutes later they confirmed it.

Looks like they are keeping the inmates on a bridge on or offramp surrounded by guards.

Yeah, what did that idiot say I spoke to about them being safe and out of harms way... What BS. What would have happened if some larger levees broke and flash-flooded the area!?

Here are some pictures of them hurded onto a bridge.

*More Pictures on Following Pages in this Thread*

David
08-30-2005, 05:41 PM
They also look like they are being held next to the bridge area in a sewage treatment plant? (The first and last pictures)

deb
08-30-2005, 05:50 PM
This is so sad.... I saw it a few minutes ago on CBS news....

Deb

jblovesdb
08-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I can't believe they have those poor men sitting out there on that bridge!! I mean, I'm glad they are not sitting in a flood...but WTF?!?! That is ridiculous! It's prolly SO hot out there too!!:angry: The way they are treating these poor men really gets me annoyed!!

melbo
08-30-2005, 05:54 PM
All I can say is Thank God, they allowed these men to get the hell out of there!

SandC4E
08-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Wow!

babygirl350
08-30-2005, 06:03 PM
I would have never believed this if I hadn't seen the pictures on here. OMG, how very disturbing. Well hopefully, it wasn't too warm for them, at least they did get fresh air.

Thanks for sharing Fed-X.

FriscoLady
08-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Just saw this on ABC, I cannot believe this.

Oh come to think of it I can believe it.

Some damned country we live in!

Patti

California Sunshine
08-30-2005, 06:12 PM
That is absolutly insane!

waitn4destiny
08-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Is this Humane Treatment for our prisoners?

OUTRAGED IN KANSAS:angry:

BlakesMom
08-30-2005, 06:59 PM
There is really no one in the new orleans area that has any kind of humane area to stay in. It is terrible there....at least they got the prisoners out of the prison. There is no food, no fresh water, no working bathrooms, no electricity. I think that we all need to pray that the Governor and troops can come up with a way to evacuate all of New Orleans. I think I would rather be in the heat on the bridge than confined in the superdome with thousands of other people. This is the worst national disaster in history. I am sure that the body count will be in the thousands. I myself cannot locate several members of my family who live in the area.

fire_rain53
08-30-2005, 08:22 PM
I am sitting here watching MSNBC...I caught a statement about an uprising at one of the prisons down there and hostages being held.....I can't find anything else on it....did anyone else hear this???

Kay

PalmviewPrincess
08-30-2005, 08:44 PM
That is crazy! I cant believe what I saw. But I guess I have to agree that at least they are in an open area instead of being confined in a building that is overflowing with water.

I'll be praying for all the people affected by this hurricane, and hopefully the much needed help arrives soon. Let's pray and hope that the situation gets better, and hopefully we dont have so many lives lost. :(

MrsWest11
08-30-2005, 08:50 PM
I am speechless...I am glad, however, they are "safe" but, dang! You KNOW it's hot as all get out there...goodness...
I can't say nomore...I'm just speechless...
My thoughts & prayers are STILL w/everyone in New Orleans and everywhere else that had hard hits from Katrina.....

marthadylan
08-30-2005, 09:05 PM
I heard about the riot and hostages in a prison near Baton Rouge....But they said on CNN that it couldnt be confirmed!!! I havent found anything on it either....

kintml2u
08-31-2005, 04:55 AM
About the hostage situation....FedCURE reported the following in a message:

FedCURE Update: Nightline reported that this story was untrue. That the OPP inmates were evacuated from the prison to a overpass and stranded with civilians. No escape attempts and no hostage takings.

Fed-X provided the pictures...unbelievable!

I am at a loss simply watching the news here...total devastation!

key jo
08-31-2005, 07:27 AM
When someone posted before the hurricane hit that the prison said they were staying put, I was dumbfounded. I am glad they moved them out safely. Hopefully they can get them moved soon to other prisons so they have food and water, etc. My prayers go out for the safety of all the people in that area.

David
08-31-2005, 08:14 AM
If I was a prisoner there I would much rather be out on that bridge than in steel cages with no lights or anything else..

What pisses me off though is the smugness of the lady I spoke to about moving them and their obvious refusal to prepare for this when it comes to people who are prevented from getting out of harms-way on their own.

jailbride
08-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Ya'll this just blows my mind, what is the state doing to these men?!?! I don't suppose anyone has heard anything out of their men down there? How long do ya'll think it will be before anyone knows if their loved ones are safe?

adbrick
08-31-2005, 11:14 AM
My husband is in the northern Louisiana and he said that last night the recieves several inmates from the Southern parishes. Not sure if they were from New Orleans or surrounding parishes.

jenn26
08-31-2005, 11:34 AM
Man that is just crazy! It makes me wonder if any of there rights are being broke with this kind of treatment? It just amazes me with what I am seeing! I heard a little about a hostage situation but that was in Mississippi I belive, my thoughts and prayers are with all of the people involved in this storm.

sdylan06
08-31-2005, 12:04 PM
What pisses me off though is the smugness of the lady I spoke to about moving them and their obvious refusal to prepare for this when it comes to people who are prevented from getting out of harms-way on their own.

who was she??? she shouldn't be talking to our david like that!!

on a more serious note though........if i was a prisoner, i too would rather be there than inside like that..........it may seem very inhumane, but what else can they do right now?.......as someone else already said........everyone is living in inhumane conditions there right now...........all we can do is send our thoughts and prayers that way............oh and possibly make a donation, which i started a thread about;)

prisonwidow
08-31-2005, 01:36 PM
where is this donation thread? I cannot find it. Does anyone know what is to be done with the inmates now that the Governor has ordered the entire city to be evacuated?

rubydoodle
08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I just saw on CNN that buses from the prison system have been seen transferring prisoners at the disgust of the other people who cannot get out of the city. Hello! Those inmates are people, too, just as valuable as anyone else in that city.

jat76009
08-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Maybe I'm wrong to be thinking this way and I may offend a lot of people here but I'm going to write down what I'm thinking anyway. First and foremost....I have to agree that it was a very gross error that the prisons weren't evacuated prior to the hurricane hitting. Like someone else mentioned earlier - inmates don't get the choice to decide for themselves and I'm sure if given the choice the majority of them would have chosen to evacuate! That said though, once Katrina hit with such force at least the prison officials had the sense to get the inmates out of the buildings and onto a safer area. Conditions have most assuredly been hard on the inmates - just as they have been hard on all the other victims of Mother Nature. One thing the inmates may have going for them is that they are probably already used to having to endure the heat and humidity. That is an assumption on my part - going on the knowledge that most prisons aren't air conditioned to begin with. I don't know if the news reports have reported otherwise or not - but I also assume that all of the relief people are feeding the inmates as well as all of the other victims of the hurricane. It's interesting that the other people who cannot get out of the city resent the fact that the prisoners are being transferred ahead of them. In many ways you would expect them to want the prisoners to be gone! But all of the victims - prisoners and otherwise - have gone through pure hell for the past couple of days and they won't be thinking right for quite some time. Who can blame them....they have lost everything. Many have lost friends and relatives.
I know that I was outraged Monday when I first ready Fed-X's post about the prison in New Orleans not being evacuated. It just seemed so totally insane knowing that they had a Status 5 Hurricane headed directly for them! I will always wonder just WHAT the reasoning was for their decision because it didn't make an ounce of sense. The lady he spoke to for sure was very rude and un-careing.....but maybe she was also upset to know that because of her job she wouldn't be evacuating to safety either. One thing the inmates have - whether they like it or not - is the knowledge that they WILL be housed somewhere and once again be getting their normal gross prison food again. Their lives will return to what has been normal for them with very little interruption in their routines. That's more than ANY of the other victims of Katrina can say. It's sad but unfortunately it's true.
And just so you know....I DO have loved ones in prison - both a son and a daughter. I'm very thankful they weren't in Katrina's path for sure but I'm pretty sure I'd still be thinking these same thoughts even if they had been.
To all of you with friends and loved ones who had to experience this awful disaster - my thoughts and prayers go out to you.

David
08-31-2005, 04:40 PM
I just caught video again of the prisoners and they have NOT been moved off that bridge yet...! I caught some more screen shots and will post them as soon as I can edit them down in size again.

Amy
08-31-2005, 04:46 PM
I just saw video on a Memphis news station showing a bus with "Louisiana State Penitentiary" written on the side. Does that mean that they are now moving them out, or are those buses being used to transport other evacuees?

samiam158
08-31-2005, 05:05 PM
don't mean to sound mean and i'm glad that most people....be they prisoners or otherwise are being rescued.........but if you think staying out on the over pass on I10 is a bad thing..........take a look at what they did to the prisoners in Crescent City when they thought a tsnuami (probably misspelled) was coming in...............double locked in their cells and NO one was getting out

I will keep all those in MS, AL, and LA...........in my thoughts..................
take care ya'll
christine

Ted's mom
08-31-2005, 05:24 PM
They are still sitting there today in the direct sun. Soaking their clothes in the passing flood waters to cool off. It is true that the entire city is suffering but these people don't even have a choice on how to help themselves. What a tragedy.

David
08-31-2005, 05:27 PM
I just saw video on a Memphis news station showing a bus with "Louisiana State Penitentiary" written on the side. Does that mean that they are now moving them out, or are those buses being used to transport other evacuees?

I am pretty confidant that they ARE NOT being used to move the Orleans Parish Prisoners yet unless they have multiple jails or already had some at the transportation staging area.

As you can see in the pictures I am about to post, there are a LOT of inmates isolated (I don't know if they could even get off and you cannot see any prison buses in view) still on the bridge and also some in front of what I am guessing is the court house. It also looks like there are some on top of a large building.

Pictures coming up next.

David
08-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Here are the screen captures from the news taken about an hour ago. These are not replays from the other day. The station was taking in live footage and the announcer thought that they were people packed together waiting to be rescued but later came back when the producer pointed out to him that "Gee Whiz bubba, I see cuffs & guns.. and three different color jump suits".

These guys have not moved far from where they were the other day. The only positive thing I see in sight is one of those big steel troughs you see full of ice and beer at the local bars sometimes. No idea if it has anything in it any longer.

David
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Wish they were better resolution but I can only grab them in a 1 meg .bmp file. Already tried to enhance them in photoshop but that is about the best I can do on the fly.

I wish I had a helicopter and a telephoto lens on my Nikon. I am sure I could grab some interesting, if not shocking pictures.

Willsgirl
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Thank God that they got them out of the building.

David
08-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know what the differences in clothing color signifies? In most the jails I have been in they give you different colored clothing based upon things like if you are high-risk, normal custody and trustee inside/outside.

I'd like to find out more about this jail and how it operates. Does anyone know what the actual jail looks like? If so, please describe it here and I am going to go back and see if I can get some clips of that too.

Thanks,
David

prisonwidow
08-31-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm waiting with baited breath for the pics, Fed-X and I'm furious that I can't find ANY info on these inmates online. Since I despise the televison I have only the 'net to get my news and I've spent this entire day reading about Katrina and wondering about those inmates!!! Doesn't anybody care???

BTW, what security level is this prison?

bIgMiKeSlAdY08
08-31-2005, 05:55 PM
how long have they been out there:( this is so sad

adbrick
08-31-2005, 06:01 PM
I believe this is not a prison but parish jail. The orange jumpsuit is what state inmates wear. I believe the blue are the trustees. I know when my husband was at the parish jail everyone wore orange except the trustees.

Angela

David
08-31-2005, 06:08 PM
I think adbrick is right about what it is. I believe they call them "Parish Prisons" but they are really like county jails for the rest of the country.

Thanks for the info on the colors..

David
08-31-2005, 06:13 PM
I wonder where they are keeping the female inmates. You can't tell from the video I've seen or by the stills but I would hazard a guess that they are not being kept with the men. Hope they are high & dry also..

MrsBus
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
This is ridiculous. When they called an evacuation order you would think that would have included inmates in prisons and jails in the area. To leave them there and not move them out infuriates me. Not only that, but the guards would have had to stay and work as well. I could not imagine being a guard trying to save these people while they are locked up. I hope there were no casualties within the inmate population.

The devastation is unreal everywhere. At least the civilian population had an opportunity to evacuate the area before the storm.

joeswife
08-31-2005, 06:57 PM
It is so sad the whole ordeal. Hopefully they can get everyone to safety. If anyone on PTO has a loved one in this prison system my prayers andthougths are with you....

Lillybee
08-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Overall, it is a horrible situation. Where are all those people to go?

jailbride
08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
have there been any updates? I've been watching but they don't say anything about the inmates?

marcsbaby
09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
This really really ticks me off!!!! :angry: :angry:
Does anyone know if they are still out there in that same spot? Have any of them tried to escape??? :eek:
~Katie

Terrysgurl
09-01-2005, 10:52 AM
I might make a few ppl mad also but I just came from Texas and had to drive thru some parts in MS and AL that got hit hard...The devastation is incredible, power outages, no gas, no food...I couldn't even get fast food cause if the places were open the lines were WAY too long...I think that LA is doing what they can right now...They have thousands upon thousands of homeless ppl without ANY kind of clothes etc...At least these prisoners know that they will get somewhere soon and go back to "normal" for them...I am sorry they didn't get evacauated before the storm tho and sorry for the ignorant comments made by newsreporters...PLEASE make any kind of donation that you can!

CLEE
09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
It kind of make you wonder if they actually did get all of them out?? I sure hope so! It's just soooooo sad, all of it!

youngnlov
09-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Well Im from Shreveport Louisiana. It's in the northern region of Louisiana and many of the evacuees are finding shelter here. I read in the newspaper that about 500 of the inmates from the Orlean Parish jail are being transferred to a maximum facility in a local parish nearby about 10 minutes from where I am. The paper did state that the inmates from the Orleans Parish jail are minimum security and most of them are still waiting to go to trial but they are putting them in a maximum security prison that was just finished being built about a month ago and was waiting to be opened.

Doc's Sis
09-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Glad they are finding places for prisoners. At the risk of upsetting some of you (which is not my intention), what is wrong with them having the prisoners out there on the overpass/bridge/whatever it was??? You wanted them left in jail? Good grief! Many thousands of people in the city are stranded, not just prisoners. You want prisoners given preferred treatment over the others? I don't think so. If they've moved the prisoners, it's to keep them in custody and to get them away from the general population because even if they are min. security risks, they are still prisoners. And you ask why the tv stations don't let us know what happened to them?? They are only a very few people out of all the tens of thousands, so that isn't where the news is.

Yes, everyone was told to get out of town. Some were pig headed and decided to ride it out. However, turn on CNN and Fox News (my favorite) and you'll hear many stories about folks who could NOT leave. One was a 77 yr old lady with a 98 yr old mother. No car, no relatives near by to help, nobody to take them out. Many, many other such sad and emotional stories. Don't assume things and don't judge others please. If you haven't walked in their shoes, you can't know why they didn't leave. Just keep all of them in your prayers!

My gripe is with the idiots who stayed to loot/steal and create problems. National Guard troops are ariving and some of the thuds will be shot and others will end up in jail for acting worse than animals.

txsfmhstn
09-01-2005, 02:39 PM
I am at a loss for words reading all the posts here. Well from what someone said about thousands of inmates being held there, doesn't even look like half of them are there. How many of these guys got on buses headed to out of the state? Since I live in Houston where alot of people are headed due to the storm, as if we didn't have enough to worry about with the ones who didn't get out of the city. Now we get to worry about max inmates on the lose in all the cities where these people have to go:angry: . They really haven't even mentioned that on the news to the ones who actually need to know. I feel bad for all the storm the ones who are stuck there with nothing at all.

GC
09-01-2005, 03:17 PM
I am one who hopes they are not there for long. I can imagine the difficulty in arranging transportation and a location to house all of them. Of course, its always difficult when a person has no control over their situation(which many others are also dealing with right now with no housing or transportation). The longer these guys have to wait the more chance their is of someone taking the lead in a negative way and rioting taking over. Really, if they all start running what will the choices be for officials? Hopefully everyone remains patient.

Also, for everyone seperated from their families, including those working in all areas, lets hope for progress soon.

maxsmum
09-02-2005, 07:51 AM
My husband and I were talking about this last night, then low and behold I saw prisoners this morning being held under an overpass....out of the sun (the shots had to be at least a day old, I saw it pre daylight). The clip didn't mention who they were but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the color code. For those of you with loved ones in this situation THINK POSATIVE: Inmates are the RESPONSABILITY of the local authoraties. The fact that LA Department of Corrections will have to answer for any deaths says that those inmates have a very good chance of getting to other locations, hopefully in one peace. My heart goes out to any of you with this added worry.
To those of you worried that these inmates will turn up in your town remember something: Just because a person commits a crime does not make them less of a human being. To the statement made " as if we didn't have enough to worry about with the ones who didn't get out of the city. Now we get to worry about max inmates on the lose in all the cities where these people have to go" I say Gee at least you don't have to worry about a drink of water, a bite of food, the heat or for that matter rather you are going to be alive next week. So sorry that you fine people in Houston are being inconvenienced

jailbride
09-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi ya'll I'm up here in Ruston LA. This is hard on everyone. Has anyone taken into account that alot of the evac. efforts are being slowed to the idiots on the street shooting at rescue and evac workers. I completely agree that we have got to get these men out of the city and settled into functioning facilities. What the news isn't really showing is the violent gang activity that is becomeing a serious issue. Some of my family members are involved in rescue efforts and they say that we couldn't even begin to comprehend what is really going on there. My aunt is a NICU nurse and she had to be flown into the hospital by the SWAT team. I pray for our men. I pray for the people who have lost everything. I pray that in the near future some sort of order can be brought to the chaos that is spreading out all over our state! Louisiana is a lot of small towns and relatively few big cities. We are all haveing to deal with a massive population of homeless and most of our towns are not ready to handle that kind of situation. We are all in a hardship right now! The men may not be comfortable, but they are apparently safe so far. All I can say ladies, is just keep praying!

mstrenitty
09-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I have been in contact with the Hunts Correctional Facility. They are processing the OPP inmates along with Jeff Parish, Slidell, etc. and then shipping them to another Louisiana jail. They do not have the info in the system yet because there are 5000 people the are trying to get stable. This is all great but they said it will take until sometime next week before we know where our loved ones are because, "Monday is a holiday". But when I stressed urgency to provide us with info she said we are "in a state of emergancy". Okay if you are in a state of emergancy you sure as hell dont need to take off Monday. Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama all need our help no matter how insignificant it may seem. Also, the Sheriff, Marlin GUsman, should have evacuated these men and women at the first sign of disaster. He could have avoided the rumors of hostage situations and escapees as well as freeing up those police officers to be used for rescue situations. The former sheriff, Charles Foti, would've gotten them out of there Sunday. Please pray for my baby that he is safe! He is being held on a misdemeanor charge awaiting court.

babycow
09-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh my gosh they are taking Monday Off??!?!?!? That is ridiculous considering the situation!!!!

My heart really goes out to those of you waiting to hear from loved ones!!!! Hang in there you are all in my prayers! :grouphug:

maxsmum
09-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Mstrenitty, You think possative He'll be ok. Kim

Willsgirl
09-02-2005, 10:35 PM
I read somewhere that alot of the evidence was destroyed due to all the flooding so they may have to drop alot of cases because of it. I know I saw that some of the cases would be rape cases.

starduk
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Ok i am not defending them for what they are doing to the inmates, but in a crisis sometimes people don't make the best decisions and they can't exactly just let the inmates mingle (spl?) with the public.. don't forget that the inmates may be there on the bridge but so are the officers and stuff.. and there is so much more to deal with than just the inmates, like the stranded people, the dead people laying along the roads rotting, the children.. so i think they are doing the best possible thing they think they can do considering the situation..

David
09-03-2005, 05:14 PM
I read somewhere that alot of the evidence was destroyed due to all the flooding so they may have to drop alot of cases because of it. I know I saw that some of the cases would be rape cases.

I have a feeling they will be able to re-obtain any statements that are needed and the evidence is still likely locked in the evidence rooms, soaked all the way or not.

Only the DNA evidence is probably what is lost and unfortunately, that usually goes along with the worst charges. :( Petty crooks get off.. Rapist and others might have a chance..

David
09-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Ok i am not defending them for what they are doing to the inmates, but in a crisis sometimes people don't make the best decisions and they can't exactly just let the inmates mingle (spl?) with the public.. don't forget that the inmates may be there on the bridge but so are the officers and stuff.. and there is so much more to deal with than just the inmates, like the stranded people, the dead people laying along the roads rotting, the children.. so i think they are doing the best possible thing they think they can do considering the situation..

Yes, but they should have been evacuated to outter laying prisons well before the storm hit. The feds moved the inmates in Pensacola out well before the hurricane hit there, and it wasn't 1/2 the size of this monster.

No, it goes back to the attitude I reached on the phone when I called about this.. It wasn't a big deal or a priority.

Think about it this way... If they had moved the inmates out of the prison before the storm how many police officers would then be free to help in the rescue and criminal activity efforts? They had a LOT of officers guarding those thousands of inmates. The majority of them could have come back after leaving them at other prisons.

jillhill
09-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know the status now of these guys?

Ericalex
09-04-2005, 03:09 PM
What Northern Louisiana Prison is your husband in? Mine is in Winn Correctional Center and said that they just got about 450 from Orleans Parish Prison.

howlingchicken
09-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Our son was supposed to be released Monday of the storm, we started calling all the prison's in La. and found him. They are going by birthdate and name. We couldn't get thru to Hunt prison but found him at Phelps. OPP houses anywhere from 5,000 to 7,000 prisoners it isn't a minimum security prison. We haven't heard from him, but they did say they would let him know we got out OK. So if you do what we did you'll find your family member.

temptationbc
09-06-2005, 07:35 PM
One piece of footage I saw with the men on the off ramp was that they were holding them back w/ pepper spray as they were trying to escape.
I pray that they along with all the others find a safe place and the governement gets moving on this horrible loss to the country.
May God be with them all.