View Full Version : PLease help - Michigan Truth in Sentencing

neverlosefaith
05-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Hi, I am new to pto. My husband has been in prison for 2 months now. I will like to know if anyone has any info on new truth in sentencing changes in Michigan. I would really appreciate any info good or bad. This hole experance is new to me i have never been involved with the system in any way till now. PLease help :confused:

Ken
05-07-2003, 07:02 PM
I am going to move this to the Michigan Forum where it may get more attention.

DENIMBLUE
05-07-2003, 08:43 PM
:) WELCOME TO PTO! I AM STILL LEARNING HOW THIS MI SYSTEM WORKS, TOO. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE NEW TRUTH IN SENTENCING YET. I AM SURE THAT SOMEONE ELSE WILL KNOW. THIS IS A GREAT PLACE FOR SUPPORT. :)

deb
05-07-2003, 09:46 PM
I'm also unsure of how it will work and I think they're still ironing it out as we speak. There have been many posts on it and no one seems to know for 100% yet how it will work exactly. I'm glad you joined us!

Deb

deb
05-07-2003, 09:48 PM
By the way....you said you're new to dealing with the system....there are many of us from Michigan that have been dealing with it for a little while anyway so if you have any questions about anything--post away and we'll do our best to share what we've learned....

Deb

StacysWar030
05-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Ok I have also been following all the new laws in Michigan trying to see if any would apply to my honey and this "Truth in Sentencing" is a big one. You can start by checking with The Michigan Legislature. I will give you the link at the bottom. The public act you want is PA 316 of 1998, If you check with that it will show you if it is ammended or not. I hope this helps some.

here's the link:
http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mile.asp?page=w

Good luck
Stacy

StacysWar030
05-08-2003, 08:33 AM
It can also be found under SB 0826 of 1998. I looked it up and don't see any new changes to the original bill as of yet. But keep looking around in the new bills and acts passed as of this legislative session.

Stacy

neverlosefaith
05-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Thank you all for your help and support.

ToughTimes
05-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Wisconsin has the same thing.... and basically as much as I know so far is that when someone is sentenced to a term (such as 5 years or 10 years), they will sit EVERY day of that sentence, no matter what the crime is. I am sure there is so much more to it, but that was the part that stuck out to me.

Shades278
05-13-2003, 03:03 PM
I have just heard that there is some kind of committe that is going to meet about this truth in sentencing thing. It seems that since this truth in sentencing thing has been in play, it has contributed to the over crowding. Even tho, the people that are getting sentenced under this truth in sentencing guidelines they are getting shorter sentences then someone who was sentenced under the other laws. So from what I have been able to find out, the question has come up as to whether they will start releasing these guys on tether and letting them serve the remainder amount of their time like that.

Now, I dont know much about it, but when I asked Brad he did confirm this. The only problem is that no one can find out exactly when this is going to happen. The meeting I mean. All we can find out is that it is going to take place and supposedly the public is going to be welcome so they can get everyone's opinion on who should be allowed to paticipate in this. By law, they only have to announce it 10 days before it happens, and if and when they reach a decision it won't take place until after July 1st, since that is the big count required by the federal government. Something to do with that is how the feds decide what states get how much money they get. Anyway, this is suppose to apply to those people serving for non violent, non sexual crimes. Kinda the bottom of the "bad" pile. Now don't get your hopes up, cuz us in Michigna have heard a lot of crap on what is suppose to happen to releave the over crowding issues and most of that turned out to be rumors.

When I get more info I'll let you know, but you can ask your people in prison and I'm sure they have heard something about it. I do plan on going to this meeting if I can just find out when it is. So I'll let you know about that to.

Until then......

mrsdragoness
05-13-2003, 07:57 PM
I'm TRYING to get on some sort of list so I can get information from the state as it is announced.

I'll keep everyone posted of anything I find out. I have been trying to understand the truth in sentencing stuff, but its NOT easy :D

mrs. d