View Full Version : Smoking or Non Smoking in Michigan Prisons?

babygirl350
08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
My husband wanted me to ask if there is smoking or not in Michigan prisons? I had heard there wasn't any smoking, but a transfer in here who just was extradited from Michigan said there was still smoking there. So which is it? Does anyone know for sure, or is it allowed in some prisons and not in others?

Thanks for your help.

mabear
08-29-2005, 04:19 PM
They're still smokin'

mrsdragoness
08-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Yup they can still smoke in Michigan. There are a few prisons that are going to non smoking units, but it hasn't been taken away from those who want to smoke

zhane
08-29-2005, 04:51 PM
The facilities my hubby has been at have smoking and non smoking units...

MrsBenji
08-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Yup, yup. Many of them have units that are considered non-smoking. :)

Jenn

Lions Heart
08-29-2005, 08:55 PM
I know that in some units guys have gotten tickets for smoking in their rooms. It varies by facility. Some hold strict on the no smoking in their cells rule and others don't.

whisper248
08-30-2005, 06:02 AM
where my guy is at they can only smoke outside, no smoking allowed in any of the buildings.

zhane
08-30-2005, 06:43 AM
I know that in some units guys have gotten tickets for smoking in their rooms. It varies by facility. Some hold strict on the no smoking in their cells rule and others don't.

Some facilities have smoking and non-smoking units but I don't know if they actual allow them to smoke units....But is non-smoking a MDOC wide policy or is it non-smoking in units?

babygirl350
08-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone, I have gotten my answer and I appreciate all who responded. My husband will be happy to hear this.

n8sot
09-01-2005, 05:51 AM
There is NO smoking in or with-in 20 feet of ANY building at ALL facilities. All legal smoking is done outside. There is smoking going on inside but that is illegal! There will be tickets issued if they get caught. Some facilities offer non-smoking units in which all inmates within the unit chose to be there and do not smoke and do not wish to put up with others illegal smoking. Also, in these units, they do not have tobacco on their store lists and are not allowed to even posess tobacco. The DOC has started this because of the complaints and lawsuits against them.

LeeS269
12-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Yep, they allow them to smoke like chimnies... despite a state law banning smoking in all state owned buildings. The guards even smoke (I can only speak about the Egeler Reception center).

The sad thing is that they let everyone smoke, but refuse to supply antihistamines and decongestants to inmates that are allergic to it.

My thought, and I hope I don't offend anyone, is that they allow smoking only in the yard or get everyone on the patch etc..and they get everyone into a smoking cessation class. It would benefit the prisoners. It would cost the state less in health care and it would benefit the non-smokers.....

mrsdragoness
12-12-2005, 10:00 AM
My thought, and I hope I don't offend anyone, is that they allow smoking only in the yard or get everyone on the patch etc..and they get everyone into a smoking cessation class. It would benefit the prisoners. It would cost the state less in health care and it would benefit the non-smokers.....

Although I agree with you, smoking is one of the last freedoms Michigan Prisoners still have at the moment. For many its the one thing from the outside world they can still do and (for the moment) I think the MDOC recognizes that and deals with it in the way that they do. The prisoners can request to be moved to a different cell if he does not like his roomies smoking habits.

MrsBenji
12-12-2005, 03:30 PM
And in some of the Level I's at least, they have entire non-smoking housing units and even in many of those, the smoke-free CO's are the ones in the units, which is nice.

Jenn

LeeS269
12-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I completely understand the addiction to nicotine. I've never smoked... but I'm a nurse and my partner is a doctor. At a conference last year they told us getting off of nicotine is harder than getting off of crack!

Joe has been in the reception center since Nov 4th... and he says the smoke is so bad it's a constant haze. His congestion turned into an infection which then grew worse and spread to nearly all 325 men in the unit! He became so sick that he threw up for 2 days straight and they refused to even take him to medical!!!! (It only takes 3 days of no liquid intake to die) Why do we hire idiots to be in control of other human beings? We screen dog catchers better!

Daves Mom
12-14-2005, 01:41 AM
In Parr highway facility in Adrian Mich no one can not smoked inside of the building the visitor can not smoke within 100 ft of building but inmates and gaurds can smoked i think 20 to 30 ft from building, they get a ticket if caught smoking inside.