View Full Version : Orleans Parish Jail NOT evacuated for Hurricane Katrina! - Spoke to CO

David
08-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Out of curiosity I called the Criminal Sheriff's Office over the Orleans Parish Jail / Prison about 10 minutes ago and asked if the inmates had been evacuated. The officer that I spoke to told me, "No, they are right here... Where they have always been. Where do you think we would put them?" Maybe ((((Out of the path of a hurricane!!??))))

I asked if the jail was in New Orleans itself and she said, "Yes". I asked if if the jail was about ground level and she simply said, "They will be fine".
I'm sure they are busy as heck so I didn't push it or bother to ask if visitation was going to be canceled tomorrow.. :p :)

I think it is total BS that they have not evacuated the prisoners. I would be tripping big time if I were locked inside some building in New Orleans.. The BOP evacuated the inmates from the federal prisons / camps when a MUCH smaller storm was heading for Pensacola, but here we have a Category 5 monstrosity gunning right for New Orleans, which is well under the natural ocean / water level and they are going to leave them there..

If any prisoner dies the people who made this call should be held criminally responsible. I know jails are usually built very solid, however we all know the power is going to be gone, along with sewage and water.. How are they going to feel all 7,000+ inmates in that jail? By candlelight? Yeah.. Been around for those events too..

SCM32
08-28-2005, 10:15 PM
That is so wrong :mad:
I agree 100% if a prisoner dies, the people who made the decission to NOT EVACUATE THEM in a cat 5 hurricane, should be held accountable!

jblovesdb
08-28-2005, 10:19 PM
WOW...that is SOO beyond ridiculous!! This is a MAJOR hurricane...and they will be "fine"?!? This really has me outraged:angry: They are PEOPLE too!! Everyone else HAD to evacuate...but these poor men are stuck there?!?! Even if nothing happens to the building...as you said David, there will be NO lights, water, etc!!! My thoughts are with all of these guys and their families!!!!

stormierain
08-29-2005, 12:18 AM
this is just plan sick. lock the cells and i bet the c/o left

deb
08-29-2005, 04:35 AM
:blah: So mandatory evacuation for everyone but prisoners????? They're not people or what????????

Deb

chintath
08-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Even the dolphins were moved.

Hope they are OK now that the storm has shifted a bit.

:blah: So mandatory evacuation for everyone but prisoners????? They're not people or what????????

Deb

marthadylan
08-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I was just watching CNN news ....and they were showing inmates sitting on the side of the highway waiting to moved somewhere else....also some are still stranded...and sitting on like a roof waiting to be rescued. The water is still just rising in there though. That is crazy. Those poor guys just sitting there in their orange jumpsuits waiting to be moved!!!

lost_princess
08-30-2005, 04:00 PM
they should have moved them before. i am watching cnn too and that is so riduclous.

David
08-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Check out these pictures of all the inmates being held on a bridge above the flood.
http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1355230#post1355230

JJT
08-30-2005, 04:42 PM
Looks like they got them packed in there, right up to the water line.

JJT

baldwinlady
08-30-2005, 11:55 PM
They should have got those prisoners out of there. I lived in N.O. for 25 yrs.
Orleans Parish Prison has most prisoners put in tents. I agree anyone of them die the state should be sued.
Linda

Jillian
08-31-2005, 12:20 AM
i am glad that they got them out .. i hope they got everyone

qwerty
08-31-2005, 12:40 AM
They should have listened when FedEx called!

In Mobile, they evacuted the jail BEFORE the hurricane arrived. Duh!

CET
08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Has anyone heard if all the LA inmates were safely evacuated? Is the hostage situation in one prison over?

tinkr30
08-31-2005, 09:43 PM
I heard today that they released all the jail inmates. Don't know about the prison.

Denise

babygirl350
08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
It is bad enough when people outside the walls of jails or prisons has to go through such devastation, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be for an inmate, that helpless feeling of oh my goodness what am I going to do, where can I go, crawl up the wall to the ceiling somehow? How terrible. It just makes me sick to even think about.

PeAcHes81
08-31-2005, 11:17 PM
it's sickening how they don't treat prisoners like people....HELLO we are all humans.....they are likely those prisoners got out of there ...but now they are stuck on a bridge....geeeeez!

Doc's Sis
09-01-2005, 09:59 AM
I was just watching CNN news ....and they were showing inmates sitting on the side of the highway waiting to moved somewhere else....also some are still stranded...and sitting on like a roof waiting to be rescued. The water is still just rising in there though. That is crazy. Those poor guys just sitting there in their orange jumpsuits waiting to be moved!!!

NOT "those poor guys" !!!!! They are suppposedly healthy enough to weather the storm. There are lots of ill people who need insulin, oxygen and other medical things who are still sitting on roof tops or along highways!! What about them???

They DID release prisoners yesterday (if not before) because I listened to one reporter tell that a warning went out that prisoners were on the loose and there would be no protection for anyone. May have been a city jail? I don't know, just know that SOME had been let out to fend for themselves. Heard it on Fox News yesterday.

Doc's Sis
09-01-2005, 10:04 AM
P.S. I did not mean that all prisoners are dangerous so please don't anyone take it the wrong way..... However, some are dangerous and there have been a few attacks/rapes/etc. So let them sit up there on the highway waiting for a bus. I'll bet they aren't complaining and it sure beats being in a building with no water, no nothing and no way to get out of that building. Please don't get carried away thinking prisoners are 'climbing the walls' because of the building being flooded. You don't know that at all. Assuming such things only creates more problems and nobody needs more problems.

Retired-26
09-02-2005, 08:45 AM
P.S. I did not mean that all prisoners are dangerous so please don't anyone take it the wrong way..... However, some are dangerous and there have been a few attacks/rapes/etc. So let them sit up there on the highway waiting for a bus. I'll bet they aren't complaining and it sure beats being in a building with no water, no nothing and no way to get out of that building. Please don't get carried away thinking prisoners are 'climbing the walls' because of the building being flooded. You don't know that at all. Assuming such things only creates more problems and nobody needs more problems.

i agree. i HARDLY DOUBT that nothing is being done for these people. they are the only ones that KNOW where they are going, and what is going to happen. some of these new orleans residents have NO transporation...NO food or water...and NO way to escape, NO NOTHING. these men are going to eventually get on a bus, get fresh clothes i am sure, and go sit in a dry place, out of harms way. you know what....if matt was still in prison and he was in new orleans, i would be happy...b/c at least i knew he would have food, water and shelter...even if it was from one prison to another.

jessnkat
09-02-2005, 09:17 AM
I talked to my step-son who is in a facility just south of Monroe, LA and he told me that they had inmates from the New Orleans area there now. Not sure where they came from, but he said they are all sleeping on the floor and the place is slam packed full right now. But those guys aren't complaining about sleeping conditions at all. I'll post more as I know it.

kous
09-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Is there any news about the inmates

kous
09-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Is there any news about the inmates??????????