View Full Version : Posting Bond in a federal case - Do you get your money back?

kdforever5
08-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I have been told that you get the money posted for bond on Federal cases back. Is there any truth to this?

bjidlh
08-25-2005, 01:32 PM
My lawyer warned me about posting money for bond just in case I needed to. He recommend using a bonds man depending on how much is needed. He told me if the bond called for $20,000 cash and I paid it...chances are the judge would fine me $20,000 and the Feds would keep my money.

As it turned out in my case...I was able to sign a signature bond and not have to post money. I'm out on a $25,000 signature bond which means if I do not show up...I will owe the Feds $25,000.

TxRhino
08-25-2005, 03:46 PM
It is my understanding that no money actually changes hands for Federal Bond. My wife had several hundred thousand in bond on her after the indictment and we simple signed papers. We were told... we will collect it if you don't show up and if you don't... we will find you. So I am more than a little confused about this talk of having to put up money for Federal bond. I await more information on this subject as well.

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

bjidlh
08-25-2005, 05:35 PM
I think there are several types of bonds. It sounds like your wife had a signature bond like I did. My lawyer told me that they might want a cash bond. In that case I think they either want all of it or a percentage of it in cash. If they wanted cash...then my lawyer was going to recommend a bails bonds man. From what he told me...if the cash bond was for $20,000...they would put up all the money and it would cost me 10 percent for their service which would be $2,000.

I told my lawyer that I would prefer putting up the money myself if it came to that. That is when he warned me that judges some times like to make the fine for the amount of the bond since they already have the money. I a bonds man put up the money...they would have to give it back if I made all of my court dates.

I'm only going by what my lawyer told me...so I could be wrong.

TxRhino
08-25-2005, 09:10 PM
bjidlh,

What you say makes perfect sense. I am not an attorney and do not really know. Hopefully one of our sharp attorney's will come on and educate us all :D .

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

Homiegirl
08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Much like TXRhino's loved ones situation said...my loved ones bond was very high (in the hundred thousands) but we signed a signature bond and then he was allowed out and if he didnt show up then the amount would be owed to the feds and if u didnt pay them they would find you...

Xtasydealer
08-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Money does not exchange hands in federal cases, it is on signature or secured by property, ie the house you live in. I tried putting up property that I did not reside in and they said no. It had to be the home I lived in.

Bnsmiths
08-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi,
When my son's case was transferred to federal, we were allowed to post a $2,000 cash bond. Then once he was taken into custody, I took my receipt to the clerk's office and they mailed me a check in about 10 days, for the bond amount plus interest. His lawyer had told me I'd get the money back, and he was right.
Of course, the bond was low because we'd already posted a $75,000 bond in state superior court, and paid a bondsman $7,500. I never got any of that back, and they left the bond in effect until his surrender to the feds.
Becky