View Full Version : Relocation from NY

Ronnie
08-18-2005, 01:33 PM
WifeC -- I am planner by nature, so in my eyes it is never too early to start gathering information & planning. Here are just a few things off the top of my head; but I have some stuff at home on my PC that I can send you too.

- your new bank, if your current one is not located it in the new area
- new schools district for kids, if it applies, are they good, how are they ranked, what sort of extracurricular activities do they have
- new doctors, dentists, etc.
- utility companies, are deposits required
- public transportation options
- medical insurance options
- any perks for new residents
- changing over your drivers license, ID, car tags, etc.
- personal property taxes for your car, how much should they be; NY doesn't have this but most states in the south do, when you renew your car tags you have to pay property tax too based on the value of your car

How is that for a start?

Nuro's Wife, what type of things should I be including on my relocation list. I have about a year is it too early to start it? :yay::clap::hifive:

Wife C
08-18-2005, 04:49 PM
That's a good start. Thanks Ronnie. Alot of this stuff will be easy because I have family in the area. My cousin and I have children in the same age range so schooling and doctor's will be easy. I'll just have to work out the medical coverage thing if I have to go there looking for a job. What I'm working on right now is finding something here that's also there so alll I'll have to do is put in for a transfer. I didn't know about the property tax thing . Is this something you pay every year? I would appreciate any info you could send me. What I'll do is pm my email address to you. WifeC -- I am planner by nature, so in my eyes it is never too early to start gathering information & planning. Here are just a few things off the top of my head; but I have some stuff at home on my PC that I can send you too.

- your new bank, if your current one is not located it in the new area
- new schools district for kids, if it applies, are they good, how are they ranked, what sort of extracurricular activities do they have
- new doctors, dentists, etc.
- utility companies, are deposits required
- public transportation options
- medical insurance options
- any perks for new residents
- changing over your drivers license, ID, car tags, etc.
- personal property taxes for your car, how much should they be; NY doesn't have this but most states in the south do, when you renew your car tags you have to pay property tax too based on the value of your car

How is that for a start?

Wife C
08-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Durham, NC Susan, where are you relocating to?

4MyBabyBoy
08-18-2005, 07:00 PM
WOW, why so far? sorry, i'm nosy. i want to get closer to him to make visiting easier, but it probably won't happen for a couple years atleast or until I have some money behind me.
I cannot wait to get out of New Jersey. Not only do I want to get closer to him, but I need some new surroundings, this is getting old and boring and the longer I'm here the more it seems like there's less to do.
Anyways, I started the slim fast diet yesterday and i do fine during the day with the shakes, i just don't know how to control myself at night....do do you all do it? what is the trick b/c i can't figure it out. especially while im pmsing like right now.

Ronnie
08-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Unfortuantely Susan the property tax thing is an annual thing. Just to give you a ballpark. My car is a 2001 and my taxes for this year are $180 + $20 for the actual tag. What a crock of....That's a good start. Thanks Ronnie. Alot of this stuff will be easy because I have family in the area. My cousin and I have children in the same age range so schooling and doctor's will be easy. I'll just have to work out the medical coverage thing if I have to go there looking for a job. What I'm working on right now is finding something here that's also there so alll I'll have to do is put in for a transfer. I didn't know about the property tax thing . Is this something you pay every year? I would appreciate any info you could send me. What I'll do is pm my email address to you.

Wife C
08-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Financial basically. We are ready to purchase a house and it's too expensive here. If I'm going to spend the money, I want to at least have the room I need for my family. A regular townhouse nowadays is over two hundred thousand and I think that is absolutely crazy and with the way prices are going up everyday and the way the south is growing, the prices are going up there as well. Right now people there see the prices as being high but to me and compared to here, it's still a excellent price. I don't want to be that far from him but I have to look at things in terms of the future. I can't always put everything off talking about when he comes home. He's the one who suggested it. I know I wouldn't have. But since he did, I'm running with it. I'll just work my monthly visit into my budget as a bill and have a credit card which is just for that. It will be hard because I'm only an hour away right now but when we met he was 5 hours away and I used to drive that by myself so I'm not going to let 8 hrs scare me off. :) WOW, why so far? sorry, i'm nosy. i want to get closer to him to make visiting easier, but it probably won't happen for a couple years atleast or until I have some money behind me.
I cannot wait to get out of New Jersey. Not only do I want to get closer to him, but I need some new surroundings, this is getting old and boring and the longer I'm here the more it seems like there's less to do.
Anyways, I started the slim fast diet yesterday and i do fine during the day with the shakes, i just don't know how to control myself at night....do do you all do it? what is the trick b/c i can't figure it out. especially while im pmsing like right now.

Wife C
08-18-2005, 08:00 PM
How do you pay it? Once a year or through out the year? Sounds like paying for a house...Is the tag the registration or is that something else also? Unfortuantely Susan the property tax thing is an annual thing. Just to give you a ballpark. My car is a 2001 and my taxes for this year are $180 + $20 for the actual tag. What a crock of....

4MyBabyBoy
08-18-2005, 08:10 PM
that whole property tax on a vehicle is rediculous. isn't that what the tax you pay up front is for? If I had to pay one more thing for this car I have other than the payment, the insurance, the gas and the maintenance, I'd have to give it up because i've been thinking about that now, I'd save about 500$ a month without the car. goodness.
that sounds like a good idea, moving south. i've heard everything is cheaper. I'd be scared to alone though, i don't have anyone down there.
being that everything is cheaper though, wouldn't salary and wages be less as well?
i was thinking about buying a townhouse down here in 2 years if i dont relocate. a 2 or 3 bedroom decent townhouse can go for as less as 60-150. a friend of mine just bought a brand new one for 158.
It's supposed to be nice down there in the south though, good luck:)

Wife C
08-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks...That property tax is crazy right??? Well, I wonder if you pay tax up front when you buy a car there then.that whole property tax on a vehicle is rediculous. isn't that what the tax you pay up front is for? If I had to pay one more thing for this car I have other than the payment, the insurance, the gas and the maintenance, I'd have to give it up because i've been thinking about that now, I'd save about 500$ a month without the car. goodness.
that sounds like a good idea, moving south. i've heard everything is cheaper. I'd be scared to alone though, i don't have anyone down there.
being that everything is cheaper though, wouldn't salary and wages be less as well?
i was thinking about buying a townhouse down here in 2 years if i dont relocate. a 2 or 3 bedroom decent townhouse can go for as less as 60-150. a friend of mine just bought a brand new one for 158.

Ronnie
08-19-2005, 05:03 AM
Hey Lara,I agree with you on the property tax thing. It is a bunch of crap, but what can you do. I mean you can get around in Atlanta without a car but it does limit where you can gp. Some counties here do not have public transportation.Living in the south -- Cost of living depends on where you live. I live in Atlanta and the cost of living is not cheap. Food is much more expensive here. Gas is cheaper though. Rents are outrageous, probably better than NY though. From those I know that live in NC, the cost of living is much lower than in NY and Atlanta.that whole property tax on a vehicle is rediculous. isn't that what the tax you pay up front is for? If I had to pay one more thing for this car I have other than the payment, the insurance, the gas and the maintenance, I'd have to give it up because i've been thinking about that now, I'd save about 500$ a month without the car. goodness.

Ronnie
08-19-2005, 05:07 AM
The sales tax on the car is one thing. You still pay sales tax when you buy a new car. The good thing with the property tax is that you may get a slight break when you buy a new car dpeending on when you buy it in relation to your birthday. Our car tags are registered by the month of our birthdays and your taxes aren't due until your birthday (did I thank them yet for giving ME a bill as my birthday present?). For instance, my birthday is in September so I should buy a car after my birthday not before because I wouldn't have any property taxes due until the next September rolls around. Thanks...That property tax is crazy right??? Well, I wonder if you pay tax up front when you buy a car there then.

Manzanita
08-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Susan,

I was moving threads and lost some of them, but found them and need to move them back into this one, so there are some missing...sorry, I will fix it, I wanted to make this a seperate thread Susan...:)

Ronnie
08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Here are two relocation checklists that I think are pretty good.

http://www.relocationcentral.com/nopanic.html#checklist

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/ExpertAdviceToolboxTips.asp?tipsheet=28

Wife C
08-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look at them. See Ronnie, the same thing you are saying about ATL is the same thing I was hearing when I was in Chapel Hill a couple of weeks ago. I actuall ran into someone that lives in the same town I live in now and they were telling me how they've been in NC for the last 17 years but how prices in the Triange area are going up so high. This is what basically sealed me decision about going now instead of later. Here are two relocation checklists that I think are pretty good.

http://www.relocationcentral.com/nopanic.html#checklist

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/ExpertAdviceToolboxTips.asp?tipsheet=28

Wife C
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
That's cool Jen. We were basically having a conversation anyway.:)Susan,

I was moving threads and lost some of them, but found them and need to move them back into this one, so there are some missing...sorry, I will fix it, I wanted to make this a seperate thread Susan...:)

abgirl
08-19-2005, 07:49 PM
hi Wife c,
I live in rocky mount NC, just 40 min from Raleigh, I to have to travel 8 hrs to visit my fiancee but just look at the extra money you will save. I visit atleast once a month, I use to live in NJ and I pay less for mortgage than I did for rent. Maybe we can get together on trips to NY to save cost its a positive move for the whole family good luck

Wife C
08-20-2005, 10:32 AM
That sounds like a great idea. Do you drive up alone every month?

Ronnie
08-21-2005, 04:03 AM
You pay your vehicle property tax in a lump sum payment which is based on the value of your car and then they add $20 for the tag renewal/registration fee.

How do you pay it? Once a year or through out the year? Sounds like paying for a house...Is the tag the registration or is that something else also?

abgirl
08-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Yes , I drive up alone or with the my daughter. the ride is not all that bad but VA is the longest state about 3 hrs of the trip after that its a breeze.

Wife C
08-21-2005, 04:14 PM
And you go once a month? That's not bad. What facility do you go to?Yes , I drive up alone or with the my daughter. the ride is not all that bad but VA is the longest state about 3 hrs of the trip after that its a breeze.

4MyBabyBoy
08-21-2005, 05:37 PM
When you relocate, is it more likely to have a job waiting and set up or find one after you get there?
How does that work?

Wife C
08-21-2005, 10:10 PM
Since I'm looking for a new job here already, I decided to try to find something that is also there so that I can just do a transfer. Otherwise, I'll be looking for a job once I get down there.

abgirl
08-22-2005, 08:38 PM
I visit Fishkill

Wife C
08-22-2005, 08:58 PM
That's cool cause I go to Green Haven.

abgirl
08-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Ok My baby use to be in green haven he moved jan of this year