View Full Version : Riot At Calipatria

ekate
08-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Has Anyone Heard That There Was A Riot To Day At Calipat
One Inmate Was Killed And Another In The Hospital After 30 Inmates Fought With Guards.
My Friend Called Me To Tell Me And I Was Trying To Find Out In What Yard This Happened. As My Best Friend Is In Yard A And Another In The C Yard. This Riot Was With The Hispanics

4orSmilez
08-18-2005, 10:18 PM
:( :( :( My penpal is there. Now I'm really worried! I hope he is alright. :( :( :(

GC
08-18-2005, 11:23 PM
SACRAMENTO (AP) - One inmate was fatally shot in the abdomen and a second shot in the head and taken by helicopter to a hospital as guards quieted a "major riot" at Calipatria State Prison on Thursday, officials said.

Sixteen correctional officers were taken to outside hospitals, including the initial subject of the attack who was slashed in the head as he tried to search an inmate he suspected of concealing a weapon, said Terry Thornton, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
OAS_AD('Button20');http://ads.sacbee.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.sacbee.com/state_wire/1235190528/Button20/Sacbee/cabackyard_300_nw_aug_5/iframe_cabackyard_300x250_products.html/34343032643239363433303535643530?_RM_EMPTY_ A second officer was struck in the head from behind in the initial struggle. Lance Corcoran, executive vice president of the California Correctional Peace Officers Association, said that officer was undergoing a CT scan for "significant injuries," but he and Thornton said the officer was lucid.
Thornton said all 16 officers were expected to be released from the hospital Thursday night, including the two most seriously injured.
Five inmates were taken to outside hospitals, including the inmate shot in the head, said prison spokesman Lt. Ray Madden. Six more inmates were taken to the prison infirmary, he said. Thornton said a total of 25 inmates were treated at the prison after what Thornton called "a major riot."
Corcoran said the inmates "attempted to take the unit over. They attempted to breach the control booth. They were throwing brooms and shoving sticks in." He quoted a sergeant saying a tower guard "literally saved their lives today" by firing the lethal rounds from a Mini-14 semiautomatic rifle.
The second shot inmate's condition was not immediately known, and officials had no identifying information on either inmate.
The fight began shortly before 3 p.m. in a maximum security prison exercise yard, Thornton said. The first officer was stabbed in the head, then kicked on the ground. The second officer in the yard was struck from behind. The other officers suffered less serious injuries while retaking control.
"Preliminarily, it escalated to maybe 20 inmates," Thornton said, "then different incidents erupted on different parts of the yard." The prison in Imperial County east of San Diego houses more than 4,000 inmates of whom more than 3,850 are maximum security. The remainder are minimum security inmates who work around the prison, and were not involved in Thursday's incident.

Kathy
08-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Has Anyone Heard That There Was A Riot To Day At Calipat One Inmate Was Killed And Another In The Hospital After 30 Inmates Fought With Guards.My Friend Called Me To Tell Me And I Was Trying To Find Out In What Yard This Happened. As My Best Friend Is In Yard A And Another In The C Yard. This Riot Was With The Hispanics
Link removed per policy

Crstnamre
08-21-2005, 01:59 AM
I believe it was C yard.

lilwoman
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Kathy,

Thanks so much for the CO site info. Anyone that's interested, there is a posting there that gives you a details report on what went on at Calipatria on Thursday.
My son is housed in C yard/C4 building. It helped me to know what really happened inside. It hard to tell what really happened when you read the newspapers articles.
They have a habit of stretching things.

Let's pray for all at CALPat.

Lilwoman (Louise)

MANNYOSUNASLADY
08-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Well as far as im conserned it was in the Maximum security, im not sure but they did say it escalated to other buildings and i my self am scared because my man is incarcarated in m-1 building and we all know it always escalades to more!

Joyner30
08-26-2005, 03:25 PM
My husband is in yard B he wrote me and told me that only the C yard was affected. So I pray everyone else is fine.

lilwoman
08-26-2005, 08:33 PM
If there is any with loved ones in Calipatria "C" yeard - Have you heard from them via mail, etc. Wonder if C Yard inmates are receiving/sending mail? I am going to trying writing my son tonight.

Please continue to pray for the inmates on "C" Yard.

sinnerslady
08-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I haven't Heard from my fiance` , he is in C5:( I haven't heard from him all! I called the prison and they gave me some information 1(760)348-7000 ext.5011. They are receiving/sending mail but I think they still have no program which means no phone calls.. I am not sure about that but it's what I think.

Sinnerslady:)

lilwoman
08-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Sinnerslady,

Thanks for the information.