View Full Version : Latimer County Ex-Sherriff found guilty of sexually abusing inmates

ldysirois
08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Subj: Fw: Ex-sheriff found guilty of abuse
Date: 8/17/05 12:04:09 PM Central Daylight Time
To: okcure@earthlink.net

Ex-sheriff found guilty of abuse
By Chad Previch
The Oklahoman

MUSKOGEE - A jury Tuesday found former Sheriff Melvin Holly guilty of sexually abusing inmates and jailers and lying about it to federal authorities.
The jury deliberated slightly more than four hours and found the 40-year peace officer guilty on 14 of 15 charges.

The nine-woman, three-man jury also found the former Latimer County sheriff guilty of threatening to kill an inmate if she told authorities about Holly's relationship with her.

Holly, 64, stared silently as the court clerk read the verdicts. His wife shook as she cried, and his son kept his eyes closed.

"We didn't try the man he said he was; we prosecuted the predator he became," U.S. Attorney Sheldon Sperling said. "For too long, the defendant wielded unrestrained authority over jailed female inmates and female employees.

"The public trust, which each law enforcement officer swears to uphold, was fully vindicated by this important verdict."

First Assistant U.S. Attorney Gay Guthrie said the cumulative weight of the evidence brought the guilty verdicts.

Judge Stephen Friot said Holly will be sentenced in about 90 days. Holly will stay in the Muskogee County jail until then. Friot will decide Holly's sentence. He then will be handed over to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, Guthrie said.

Dennis Holly, 42, said his father likely will appeal the jury's decision.

"It's just hard to believe," he said. "Forty years and now these last few months. I just don't see how it could happen. But that's the jury's decision."

The only not-guilty verdict was on a count of touching inmate Rhonda Crackle's buttocks. Holly was found guilty on seven felony charges.

He was arrested in October, three months after he lost his re-election bid. Holly was accused of having sex with four inmates, having sexual contact with four others and improperly touching three employees and the teenage daughter of an employee. He has been in custody since.

Defense attorney Warren Gotcher said in closing arguments Tuesday that money -- not justice -- was the reason Holly was accused.

He said due to medical conditions Holly can't get an erection and couldn't have sexually assaulted inmates.

"In 40 years, he never had one instance where he was accused of sexual harassment," Gotcher said. "These women are dope makers, dope sellers, dope users."

In rebuttal closing argument, Guthrie said Holly, not the witnesses, was on trial. He reminded jurors several of the women wept last week as they testified.

"Their demeanor, I submit to you, was genuine," he said.

samsfi
08-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Woo hoo!!
Case and point one for our side! It's about freakin time!
However it will be interesting to see what punishment if any he gets... I for one will be watching!

ItsMichelle
08-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Me 2!!

jesuschick
08-19-2005, 08:16 PM
And who is the guilty one here? There is evil every where on both sides of the fence.

Peace, love, hope and prayers

~jesuschick~

Woo hoo!!
Case and point one for our side! It's about freakin time!
However it will be interesting to see what punishment if any he gets... I for one will be watching!

ItsMichelle
08-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Genesis 37:20 - Come now therefore, and let us slay him, and cast him into some pit, and we will say, Some evil beast hath devoured him: and we shall see what will become of his dreams