View Full Version : Question about educational programs at Century CI

Brian's Mom
08-17-2005, 10:04 AM
I wonder if anyone can help clear this up. The FLDOC website states that there are no academic nor vocational programs at Century at this time. But I found another website that describes educational programs, even has photos (which are stamped "2001").

http://www.filmnorthflorida.com/locations/Century:-Prison/

Is this information just out-of-date? Why would they discontinue this? If Jeb believes that education improves society, who needs it more than these inmates?

FranksFrackBoy
08-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Wow, I've never seen so many pictures of a facility! That site that you listed doesn't seem to be an official FLDOC site though. I would only "trust" what the FLDOC site says about education there. My guy is at Taylor where there IS an education program....he tutors. You can always call CCI and ask to speak to the education director...if they don't know what you mean, then there may not be a program, but as far as I've heard about most Florida prisons there is at least a GED program. I'd not mention your son's name though...just do it anonymously.

You are right about inmates needing education...it's one of my passions. If someone can't even fill out a job application, how are they even going to start to make it? Somehow I don't think Jeb cares so much about the inmates...I mean they are using Aramark to feed them....YUCK!

eddieswife
08-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi,

For some reason the FLDOC does not list all of a prison's programs on their web site. It is best to call the prison your loved one is in and speak to the Classification Deptartment, they will be able to tell you the current education and training programs that are being offered at their facility. I had to do that to learn more about the programs that were available to my husband, he is at Taylor C.I. My husband also mailed me a brochure about the educational and vocation programs available where he is.

LOL,
Angie

I wonder if anyone can help clear this up. The FLDOC website states that there are no academic nor vocational programs at Century at this time. But I found another website that describes educational programs, even has photos (which are stamped "2001").

http://www.filmnorthflorida.com/locations/Century:-Prison/

Is this information just out-of-date? Why would they discontinue this? If Jeb believes that education improves society, who needs it more than these inmates?

eddieswife
08-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi FranksFrackBoy,

You said your guy is at Taylor. My hubbie is at Taylor C.I. He got admitted there July 25th.

Can you tell me anything about the place?

Thanks,
Angie

Wow, I've never seen so many pictures of a facility! That site that you listed doesn't seem to be an official FLDOC site though. I would only "trust" what the FLDOC site says about education there. My guy is at Taylor where there IS an education program....he tutors. You can always call CCI and ask to speak to the education director...if they don't know what you mean, then there may not be a program, but as far as I've heard about most Florida prisons there is at least a GED program. I'd not mention your son's name though...just do it anonymously.

You are right about inmates needing education...it's one of my passions. If someone can't even fill out a job application, how are they even going to start to make it? Somehow I don't think Jeb cares so much about the inmates...I mean they are using Aramark to feed them....YUCK!

Brian's Mom
08-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Thank you FranksFrackBoy and eddieswife. I will probably call and check on this, if he hasn't already. He graduated from high school, but he would really like any vocational training he can get, especially in the area of computers and electronics, which he has an aptitude for. But he'd probably take just about anything they offer, just to have it.

Whatever I find out, I will post on here for future readers.

FranksFrackBoy
08-17-2005, 02:01 PM
BTW, here's the FLDOC link for Century CI

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region1/106.html