View Full Version : honor grade

all4datman
05-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi, Never posted here before (kinda shy;))
Anywho...My boyfriend has been in prison going on 4 years of a 8 year sentence. He has completed a one year hvac (heating venting and a/c) course and just yesterday took his final exam in welding.
He is at medium custody now,(harnett correctional) his case worker just brought him up for honor grade, I guess if this passes he will be brought down to minimum custody and allowed to transfer to a work release camp (which will be closer to home) He also says this will qualify him for home passes.

He is scheduled back in court on the 27th of this month to see if his lawyer can get his consecutive sentences run concurrent.

I just found all this out today and had to share. I think this will be a great time to go back to court since our lovely state is running out of money to house prisoners. (maybe they should of took that money to start with and put it towards education huh?)

Any comments would be great!!!! Anyone else in the same situation?

KRIS_NC
05-01-2003, 08:40 PM
I WANT TO WELCOME YOU TO PTO FROM ANOTHER NORTH CAROLINIAN AND WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK WITH HONOR GRADE

Chevygal55
05-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Welcome to PTO all4datman~ The best of luck to you both with his up coming court date!
My hunny also just got his licence for his HVAC~ Congrats to your boyfriend on that! Well done!

Beck

Budwoman
05-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Glad you found PTO.... This is a familiar situation in most of North Carolina... Be very glad tho that he is finally in minimum custody.... Yanceyville is a good mininum camp. I don't think they do work release tho.... There are several in the Eastern Part of the State.... You might go into the ncgov web site and go to agencies and you can see all the prisons listed and where they are located...

I won't be long now before he can have home passes and passes by sponsors.... He will be able to go with a sponsor to Church and out to eat.... It takes a little longer to earn the home passes.... I have a ministry in a Minimum Custody camp in Newton, N. c. This is the Western Part of N.C. These guys have a lot more freedom than med... My son is in Medium custody at Goldsboro, N. C.... I have run the gammut of most all of the N. C. prison system....

Good Luck and let me know if there is anything I might be able to do to help you..

Sincerely

Donna

deb
05-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Welcome to PTO and I'm glad you posted! Good luck in court....

Deb

TxRenee
05-01-2003, 09:47 PM
Glad to see you post and Welcome to PTO!! Good Luck in court!!

Budwoman
05-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Dear All

How are things now? Did he get to Minimum? How is his minimum custody going? Let us hear from you..

Donna

KRIS_NC
05-17-2003, 08:11 PM
I ALSO WANTED TO ASK HOW THINGS ARE GOING..I DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE BUT CARTERET CORRECTIONAL IS ANOTHER GOOD WORK RELEASE CAMP

all4datman
05-20-2003, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone,
David hasnt gotten to minimum as of yet,,,still looking to go to court next tuesday (5-27) Keep us in your thoughts on that day, hopefully everything will work out and they will run all his time together!
I saw him last friday for his graduation from welding school, he seemed to be in good spirits. Will be traveling to see him again on Sunday and I'll be in court the 27th with him!

Thanks for your interest!
Nice to know there are some people out there that really care and dont frown upon a situation like this!

sherri13
05-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Sorry for the late welcome ALL$- My Ron is in minimum/honor grade at Catawba in Newton, NC. Because of his helaht issues he is not on work release yet althouth he is eligible. Sure hope yours gets to move to minmum b/c it is SO much better than medium!

Bertsluv
08-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Hi,

I just came across your message in the Forums for North Carolina. My fiance's also incercerated in NC. He was in Harnett for about a year also. Here is a little advice and somethings I have learned on the way.

Your man first has to get to a honor grade camp. He has to work through 3 levels in order to get home passes. My fiance is in honor grade right now and is at level 2. They are making it almost impossible for him to get to level 3. Currently he is at Forsyth Correctional in Winston Salem. They will not allow him to have home passes from that camp due to the mile restriction. So please be sure that when he gets transferred that he gets to one as close to home as possible. This all couldbe irrelevent now, since you posted that message in July. Honor Grade is a whol different game I think. Some camps allow the inmates to wear their own clothes, you can bring them food, any meal of their choice. They have alot more freedom and do not have CO's breathing down their neck 24-7. Please let me know if you have any questions. I will do what I can to help you out. Us North Carolinians with Loved ones in the system need to stick together, because this state has some major issues that need to be addressed. You said it right about the money situation. I feel in my heart they are going to have to let some of our boys go. What do you think?

Well Take Care,

Shannon

Sweetness
08-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Hey All.... I'm a fellow North Carolinian myself, and I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you... my man is in Craggy Correctional which is medium also, but he just came up for review August 3rd, and was promoted to minimum!!! All prisons are different, and each one says you have to be within a certain amount of time from your release date before you can get minimum... I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and let you know that we are all out here for you if you wanna talk......

MsClever
09-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Honor Grade! Honor Grade!

Sometimes, I think it should be called Horror Grade-LOL ! My brother is currently incarcerated in NC. I visit your fine state every three months. Keep in mind that your fine state has had my brother for 20 years this month, and well we are anxious for him to come home !

Here is my Honor Grade Story..

My brother was put up for Honor Grade in Oct. 2002. He went through the board, and was approved, passed his risk assessment test, and then had to wait to see the physcologist. We waited and waited and waited some more!

Finanly in April of 2003, he saw the physcologist- And then we waited some more, and more and more. In July of 2003 I was plum tired of waiting! I started making some phone calls, only to find out that the physcologist had not even completed his report. I raised HELL !!!!

Within two days, and 16 hours of constant phone calls to North Carolina, the report was faxed to the Warden. Within two days of receipt of that report, my brother was on a bus to TILLERY, and wearing GREEN JEANS!!! =0) Coiencedence?? Maybe..For the record, they have 6 months to complete the entire process. May they not take that much time with your loved one!

Best Wishes !

LUVFRNKH
09-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi ya'll, my name is Terri. I have never postd here before, but my boyfriend is in prison here, and we don't know too much about the system in NC. First of all this is his first offense(violent) but first offense none the less, his sentence was 46-65 months. We know he'll have to do at least 46, but some guys have told us that after he processes and does all the tests and stuff, he might process right into minimum security? Does any one know if this is true or will he have to go to med. security? Second, what exactly is honor grade and what are the different levels? Is honor grade good? Third, How can myself and his family prevent him from being moved all the way to the other side of the state, we live close to the mountains and the beach is about 5 hrs. from here. And the last thing is early release? Anybody know anything about this? Thanks for your time...... Terri

LUVFRNKH
09-22-2003, 02:42 PM
I forgot just one more thing what about home visits, and after how long will he be able to get one, and if he does get one what are the restrictions?

Bertsluv
09-23-2003, 06:46 AM
Hi Terri,

I just wanted to answer some of your questions. I was in the same boat as you almost 3 years ago and have learned alot about the North Carolina Dept. of Corrections. Here are some the answers to your questions.

It depends on how weel your boyfriend does on the tests they give him and also how he behaves. Since he has 3 or more years he will more than likely go to honor grade (Minimum Security). We never know what the DOC will do until it happens. They may keep him in Processing for now and see how he does. Technically Preocessing is Medium Security. There are 3 levels in the DOC, Close Security, Medium Security, and Minimum Security. Any information you may need regarding your boyfriends status and all prisons in North Carolina is located on their website - www.doc.state.nc.us I have found that website very useful in finding a camp form my boyfriend. Honor grade is the highest level which is minimum security. There are 3 levels in minimum, it does take time for him to gain each level. It all depends on what kind of programs he participate in, behaivor of course. Level 1 and 2 are pretty easy to get it is level 3 that is the hardest. In honor Grade you are able to take him any food of his choice to your weekly visits, and some camps such as Forsyth in Winston Salem allows them to wear their own clothes. We bring them to visit and exchange them with the dirty clothes. Now regarding preventing them from shipping him far from home is a bit touchy. My boyfriend was sent 3 hours from home, and it took some work to get him closer. With the prisons being so overcrowded it takes time to get them moved to the camp of their choice. I made a whole lot of phone calls to the camp he was in and the camp he was going to. That is the key just keep in contact with someone their and that keeps his name fresh in their mind. Some places have backlogs also so again it is a waiting game. At first they may bounce him around. I hope not but that is what they do. My boyfriend Robert did not finally settle in and get as comfortable as he could until he reached minimum (honor Grade). I hate to say this but at this time North Carolina does not offer early release or parole. With the Structured Sentnecing law he must do his minimum. We all are hoping that this changes in the next couple of years. But for now that is the way it is. Home passes are hard to ge also. He must be at level 3 in minimum security and there is a rule that their can only be a 50 miles radius between the prison and home. I am not real familiar about that, due to the fact that I am trying to get Robert the passes. But our main focus at this time is getting married. Please let me know if you have anymore questions, I will be glad to help out in any way I can. I know how you feel and it is hard. But just stay strong and take it day by day. Keep your head held high and help him do his time as easy as possible.

Take Care.

Retired-101
11-07-2003, 08:04 AM
bertsluv made some excellent comments on honor grade. I have been in several camps, most in honor grade, and what berstluv is saying is true. Keep this in mind as well; every prison is different, because it is run by a different Superintendent (warden to those outside the wall). Even minimum security prisons opperate in very different ways when it comes to programs, what inmates can have, even down to whether you have cable or not. Certainly there are advantages to honor grade than medium custody, for the most part is the next step to going home. There are many other characteristics, but in general, greens are better than browns. If you loved one is in greens, that opens up the door for you to make more visits, even contact visits, and even bring food. You can't know what it's like for an inmate to have Dominies pizza after being locked up for so long!

Bertsluv
11-07-2003, 08:42 AM
You are right. It is different for every person. Bert has had me bring steak just about every visit. It is nice to see him enjoy a good meal.

Retired-101
11-09-2003, 11:06 AM
I hope that information helps. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to keep the pressure on the prison, but not too much or they'll ship him in the opposite direction; believe me, they can and will do that. The best thing your loved one can do is to keep good behavior and stay out of trouble. That is easier said than done, but it is possilble. If your loved one is in honor grade, he will see a definite difference.

Retired-101
06-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Hey all4datman, how are things with your loved one? Has he made it to greens yet? Hoping for the best with him..