View Full Version : Half-way House? What Is It?

LEE5907
08-14-2005, 03:11 AM
Pelase Help, My Husband Is Scheduled For Release April 26, 2006. Last Night A 9:00pm A Probation Oficer W/fed Bop Came To My Home And Said He Needed To Interview Me For A Pre-release Report. Why So Soon? Anyway He Also Inspected Our Home. He Told Me That My Husband Could Be Eligible For Halfway House As Soon As November 05, His Co Told Him That He Would Only Be Elegible For Halfway House In March And Possible For Only 2 Weeks, Would They Come This Early For A March 06 Release, Or Could We Possible Be Getting Half-way House Sooner? Does Anyone Have Any Experiance With This?

Cindy

bellisq
08-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Cindy: Halfway house placement can be up to 10% of the sentence. How long is your husbands sentence and what date did he start serving? Did he serve any time pre-sentence? Sounds like the probation officer was just getting his assignments done early. But if you give the specific info, someone will be along to sort it out.

Just to make it more confusing, the probation officer doesn't work for the BOP but is still FEderal. It is the BOP who determines the transfer dates.

2nice
08-14-2005, 07:33 AM
I think that they can go to a half-way house for up to 6 months. I guess you need to give a bit more details of the situation - length of time you guy was sentenced or been in.

TxRhino
08-14-2005, 12:08 PM
As bellisq stated, 1/2 way house time is generally up to 10% of the time served. 6 months of 1/2 way house time can be given, but is usually given to those with long sentences and in some instances to those who have completed RDAP. Tell us how long he has been down and we will see if we can help you sort it out.

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

LEE5907
08-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Michael,
My husband's sentence is one year and a day. He went in on June 13, 05--scheduled for release April 26, 05, he is in for a fraud charge. No drugs involved. I was thinking it was kind of strange for the probation officer to come for a pre-release "whatever" after him being in for only 60 days...we were previously told that he might be eligble for up to 4 weeks 1/2 way house, this guy said it could be as much as six months and he might be home for the holidays, he just said he could not promise anything. I was very cooperative and allowed him to walk through my home and look n closets and such. I guess they have large work loads and have to as much as possible as son as possible.
Cindy Lee

bellisq
08-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I think that the dates you have are accurate, He will probably go to the halfway house sometime in March and he will be released from BOP custody on the April 26, 2006 date. The government is famous for one hand not knowing what the other is doing, and it is good that you have the walk through out of the way. Your husband will be given his halfway house transfer date by the BOP. Clearly, your probation visitor either didn't have all the facts or just doesn't know the formula. Probably seems like a long time right now, but it is good to know the out date.

If you didn't already know, it was good that he got a year and a day, because that made him eligible for good time.

TxRhino
08-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Again, I have to agree with bellisq on a 1yr and 1 day sentence your original dates are close enough to call them accurate. Go with that. I also agree that when it comes to the government there are many times when the right doesn't know what the left is doing. While technically the PO was correct about inmates being eligable for up to 6 months off... this is for longer sentences. The Poor PO probably only had a release from BOP custody date and was unaware of the sentnce lenght. Sorry you got your hopes up for nothing.... but hey look at the bright side :D you are a step closer to being reunited. Wish I could say the same. Good for you.

Keep the Faith

Michael :thumbsup:

Mrskc1
10-08-2009, 11:19 AM
My husband is currently serving a 3-6 year sentence with 18 months in and his counselor but in for pre-release. Is this too soon?

Stangloverswife
10-08-2009, 09:09 PM
3-6 years?? is this federal?