View Full Version : SAFP Programs In Texas Prisons

Cathy1127
07-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Cathy1127Hi: This is my first time posting, so I hope that I am doing it right.
I was wondering if I could find out some information about SAFP Programs around the Texas area. My daughter is in Harris County Jail, three months pregnant and waiting for a SAFP Program. She has been talking to other ladies and they say that you wait so long to get into one. The judge ordered a six month program and then she will have to go to a halfway house for two months after that. It is very hard to find out any information, I was told by someone in authority that she would either go to Waco or Dayton, and that it could be a eight to ten week wait. Thank you for all your help.

Cathy1127;)

jimbo's EX LADY
07-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Substance Abuse Supervision Program (SASP) is targeted for releasees who have not been to an In-Prison Therapeutic Community or Substance Abuse Felony Punishment Facility, but who have substance abuse problems. Once identified by either a positive drug test, Board-imposed Special Condition for substance abuse or through self-admission, the parole officer, using the Substance Abuse Risk Instrument, assesses the offender. The instrument determines three levels of service. Level 1 offenders receive Substance Abuse Education Programming, Level 2 offenders receive Substance Abuse Supervision Programming which includes assessment, group and individual counseling by a Parole Division counselor. All counselors are Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselors (LCDC) housed at District Resource Centers and District Parole Offices throughout the state. Level 3 offenders are referred to local community resources to include outpatient counseling, residential or detoxification.

Cathy1127
07-27-2005, 07:49 AM
Jimbo's Lady:

Thank you for your information. It has made it better for me to understand. I am just wondering how long she will have to remain in Harris County before a program opens up for her.

tommybear
07-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Cathy1127,

My wife went to SAFP....the women go to either Gatesville or Burnet since those are the only 2 locations. If you have questions PM me and I'll answer anything you wish to know about SAFP.

1truamiga
07-29-2005, 01:17 PM
To anyone who reads this:D . I have a freind that just got transfered:( from GREENDAY. in Fort Wort TX. im not sure where he is yet:mad: .But my questions are , where are these safp facilities at? how does the program work,how long are they in for? Things like that. I would appreciate all the info you can give me.;)

kwolf150
07-31-2005, 03:20 PM
I was at the safp in gatesville in 2001. This will be the unit your daughter will go to since she is pregnant. It is a special needs unit for those who are pregnant, on psych meds, or have serious medical problems. It differs from the other unit in that there is no marching and drilling, no hoe squad, there is air conditioning (sometimes), and you can lie down on your bunk when not otherwise occupied.

The pregnant ladies are taken to the medical unit near Galveston about 6 weeks prior to their delivery date. At 6 weeks post partum they return to safp, to make up for the time they lost, so their stay ends up being longer.

It can be tough on a pregnant lady--they spens most of the day sitting in hard plastic chairs and they do not get much rest. Medical care is only so so at best. They are usually assigned to work in the laundry room, folding clothes.

The program is rigorous and emotionally and physically draining. You get up at 4:30 am and go until 8:00 pm. At least it is quiet at night so you can sleep--it is a program requirement. There are lectures, classes, groups, individual counseling sessions, and half days are spent at work. Visiting is on the weekends. All visits are contact visits.

If you want to know anything else, feel free to pm me!

kwolf

olgirl
12-20-2005, 10:22 PM
My Husband Is Currently In San Jacinto County Waiting To Go To Safp. We Heard That The Wait Time From Harris County Is 14 To 16 Weeks. My Husband Has Been Waiting Since October 10th

BB's Mom
12-21-2005, 08:19 AM
My son is at Glossbrenner SAFP. He wait in Harris County for 3 months until there was room. He has been at Glossbrenner since Oct. 13th and he should be moved to a halfway house around the middle of April. He is doing fine. He really wants the help so the program is helping. I know on some posts there are some horrible stories regarding SAPF, however my son has not encountered any. From what I see is if the person wants the help, then it will work. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will try and get you the answers.

Kbald
12-26-2005, 08:22 PM
My son is in Johnston Unit in Winnsboro Texas. He waited 3 1/2 months in county before he went. He had no warning-just showed up one morning and he was gone. At least now his time is counting for something. County time was free time(meaning he got nothing for it).

Kim

Penguin3
01-06-2006, 12:57 AM
I am a new member to this site so bare with me if I make a mistake or two. Yesterday my fiancee was sentenced to 6 months in SAFP. I heard the wait to get in is 6-8 months?! Does anyone know about how long it takes? I figure he will be gone about a year total. I sure will miss him like crazy! If anyone can give me info on SAFP I would appreciate it! I have looked all over the internet and the TDCJ website just really does'nt tell much about it.

kwolf150
01-06-2006, 08:42 AM
There is a lot of SAFP info on this site--just use the search function and type in SAFP and you will see all the posts on the topic. One nice thing about SAFP is that all visits are contact visits, unlike most jails. They also have family groups where you can go after visitation and learn more about the disease of addiction with him. He will be very busy so may not be able to write as much as he can in the jail.

Kwolf

Sugie
01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
My son is finishing his last month at Sayle SAFP in Breckenridge. Be happy to answer any questions that I can. Just PM me.

Sugie

Penguin3
01-25-2006, 01:46 AM
Does anyone know if there are other classes besides substance abuse classes that are available to them? I know at TDCJ they have college classes they can take. Do they have anything like those in SAFP? My fiance is still waiting in Harris County for an opening in SAFP. I miss him so very much!

kwolf150
01-25-2006, 06:12 AM
no, there are no other classes offered during SAFP. All your time is taken up with your prison job and your SAFP stuff. The only other thing is GED classes if they do not have their GED.

kwolf

scarlettmom7872
01-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Wow! After reading all this about SafeP, I cannot help but think that the attrny screwed us AGAIN. He advised my hubby, NOT to try for SafeP (even though the only treatment he has ever had was an outpatient at Cornerstone in Austin (not very effective). He told us that the min was a 9 month stay at SafeP and that there would be a half way house after that. He told my hubby that he would be out faster if he did straight time (sentenced to 3 years)......
Sorry if this is not the place to post this.........

Texasfem
01-29-2006, 09:35 PM
SCARLETTMON, You will earn real quick how knowledgable Attorneys really are. They are so good at letitng you know only what they want you to hear!! You have to learn the law on your own so that you or we are able to call some of the shots where most of our cases are concerned. Good Luck!! I have learned things the hard way. I just ignore him now until I am able to do all my own research and then decide what happens next. Sad thing is they get paid and we don't!

kwolf150
01-30-2006, 05:01 AM
It may be true that he might get out faster on parole than at SAFP, I really don't know. But I thought SAFP was 6 months now, except for the special needs units? If you want him to have treatment, though, he won't get it in regular prison.

kwolf

BB's Mom
02-02-2006, 05:56 PM
My son is in a SAFP program and it is 6 months with 3 months at a halfway house.

MonkeyBoi77
03-06-2006, 05:57 PM
My boo's lawyer said the same crap to her, her ex hubby went to safp but it didnt help him at all.

Does anyone have any other links or info, she is in Harris County Jail 4th floor, I have heard about the long waiting list, etc but I want some specifics, like computer links, telephone numbers, etc.

If anyone has any pm me

Jax

BB's Mom
03-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Monkey,
My son is being released from the SAFP program at Glossbrenner at the end of this month. The program has made a difference for him. I guess it is up to the person and if they are ready and willing to work the program. I found a lot of info. from this site and I did a search on the internet and found the details of the program. I am not sure about the women facilities, but I know about the mens. Good luck! Stay strong and hold on.

MonkeyBoi77
03-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Ty very much I will do a search on the net as well to see what I can find out!

marileemcfadden
05-16-2006, 12:11 PM
can someone please help me by sending me an actual email or Instant Message. i am so confused. my boyfriend's going to a Motion to Revoke hearing on thursday. his PO said she wanted him to do SAFP, and mentioned Oklahoma, and said there would be a 5 month wait to get in. DOes anyone know where this would be, the wait i mean????
now he is being mean and hard because he thinks it will make thursday easier. i'm not sure what to do??????????????????
please help.
can anyone share with me what to expect when he leaves? where he will go? what his demeanor will be? can i see him during the waiting period??? etc.

MonkeyBoi77
05-16-2006, 04:50 PM
The wait is usually in county jail, my boo is on a 7 month waiting list for the womens SAFP and this is all I know, but they wait their turn in county.

And relax marilee, the info will come to you dont be in such a rush!

BB's Mom
05-17-2006, 09:18 PM
My son waited 4 months in Harris County until a bed became available at the SAPF unit in San Diego, TX. He was there for 6 months and now he is at a halfway house. Hopefully he will be release in June. As long as your boyfriend is at County you can visit as usual. The visiting at SAFP is only on the weekends. If you have anymore questions, just PM me and I will help as much as I can.

heatherness
05-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Safp is not so bad. My boyfriend is in Glossbrenner right now. He is learning a lot and he did have to wait about 14 weeks to get in from Nueces county. He was on landscaping but now he is taking a business computer class. He just told me last Saturday that in September safp will go from a six month to a three month program. I'm not sure though. Good luck!!

mamajmg
05-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Hi, I'm new here but have to admit I've been lurking around for the last couple of months. I'm so very glad that I found PTO. It's the only source of good info that's been available to me. Thank you all!

My son was in Harris county for ten weeks after being sentenced to SAFP. For the first seven weeks he was on the sixth floor. In the middle of the night they woke him and moved him to the fourth floor. Of course no explanation was given. It was difficult on him as there seemed to be many "mentally challenged" inmates there. I was unable to find out why he was transferred there.

I was fortunate that they pulled him for transfer in the late afternoon and he was able to get a phone call to me letting me know they were pulling him, so, at least I knew that much. But we also had arranged with someone there with him to contact me in case he couldn't. Although I knew he was transferred it took me two weeks to find out where he was.

I received the card to pick up his clothing from the county after the first week and at that time the deputy said McConnel showed on the computer. I contacted Huntsville and they couldn't confirm it. It took him a full week to arrive at Glossbrenner. He first went to Huntsville, then to Rosharon (?) on to McConnell before ending at Glossbrenner. Fortunately his counselor at Glossbrenner allowed him to call me shortly after.

I thought that the SAFP facilities were only in Tx?! I'm sorry that I don't have enough info for you there. After my sons Motion to Revoke hearing they had told us it would be a four to eight week wait. From others my son spoke to waiting it county at that time it seems to be more like 2-3 months.

Good Luck to You.

J

Been There 2
05-18-2006, 04:40 PM
can someone please help me by sending me an actual email or Instant Message. i am so confused. my boyfriend's going to a Motion to Revoke hearing on thursday. his PO said she wanted him to do SAFP, and mentioned Oklahoma, and said there would be a 5 month wait to get in. DOes anyone know where this would be, the wait i mean????
now he is being mean and hard because he thinks it will make thursday easier. i'm not sure what to do??????????????????
please help.
can anyone share with me what to expect when he leaves? where he will go? what his demeanor will be? can i see him during the waiting period??? etc.
SAF-P is NOT a TDCJ program. It is a commercial, privately operated, privately staffed "treatment" program that is usually conducted "next door" to a TDCJ unit. Clients are referred by a judge, not a prison administrator.

Why the delay? Again there is no real central control, and the county judges simply regard this as an option to get people out of county facilities. They also have the right to release a client, revoke him and send him to TDCJ facility if he is not "doing the program". So there is going to be delays if the judges over-prescribe this method of treatment.

BT2

mamajmg
05-18-2006, 05:08 PM
BT2 - by SAFP being housed "next to a TDC" unit, do you mean that they are not interracting with inmates other than the SAFP ones? Do you know if the regulations, visiting, etc., are the same? It's just so hard to find information on SAFP other than here. There are issued "mission" statements but not much more. I'm sorry, I at one point was told that SAFP was a Tx thing, it's nation wide? Well, at least there is "hope" instead of straight jail/prison time, right?

What a newbie I am.

Janice

Been There 2
05-18-2006, 05:37 PM
BT2 - by SAFP being housed "next to a TDC" unit, do you mean that they are not interracting with inmates other than the SAFP ones? Do you know if the regulations, visiting, etc., are the same? It's just so hard to find information on SAFP other than here. There are issued "mission" statements but not much more. I'm sorry, I at one point was told that SAFP was a Tx thing, it's nation wide? Well, at least there is "hope" instead of straight jail/prison time, right?

What a newbie I am.

Janice

SAF-P "clients" are NOT TDCJ inmates. The policy is that they will not mix or mingle with regular inmates. They don't go inside the prison facility at all, except in the event of an emergency, like medical. But now that there are so many DWI violators there, they learn all the same games as the "big Boys" next door. Their disciplinary rules may give them entirely different policy within the "theraputic community". And it may also vary from unit to unit.

mamajmg
05-19-2006, 07:05 AM
:D Thank you very much for the info.

J

BB's Mom
05-19-2006, 09:27 PM
mamajmg,

Glossbrenner is by itself in San Diego, Texas. There is not a TDCJ unit near it. So the client only are with others in the SAFP program. My son was released from Glossbrenner this past March. We are also from the Houston area and it was a 4 1/2 hour drive one way. If you have any questions you can PM me.

mamajmg
05-20-2006, 09:01 AM
I've sent my info for the visitors list and am anxious to see my son! The letter I received from him yesterday lets me know that he's only received one out of the five letters I've sent. He has my & stepdads info but not his g/f. How do you know when you've been "approved" or whatever the correct term is for visitation? Tho he and stepdad had serious issues dad has said to schedule it and we'll go down for the weekend. That helped my son knowing that.

I'll pm you BB's mom, as soon as I figure out how! lol Thanks

Janice <------blondish by bottle:p

pami57
05-21-2006, 09:10 PM
You can call the unit and ask if you are on his visitor's card.

pami57
05-21-2006, 09:18 PM
My daughter is a TDCJ inmate and she was sent to a SAFP facility, which is not next to a TDCJ unit at all. It is in a completely different city. She was not referred by a judge, this was part of her parole answer of FI-6R. They still use the same TDCJ number, she is still listed under TDCJ. Some people go to SAFP from county and yes it does take a while, 'till there is a bed available, but many prison inmates are sent to SAFP as part of their prerelease as mandated by parole.

MonkeyBoi77
05-24-2006, 04:34 PM
I called harris county to ask when my boo will be pulled for special needs SAFP which is the HACKBERRY unit near Gatesville, they said they dont have a date and they pull you when they pull you. The rest gets taken care of on its own.

Passion4Prince
06-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Well after 11 weeks my boo has been transfered to SAFT. Not sure about this program either. I've read a few postings about it on here but all seem different. He's in the one located in Humble. I did get a letter from him a days ago alerting me of his transfer and letting me know that they couldn't have visitors or phone calls for the 1st 35 days and possiblly longer due to the rumors of lockdown for 2 months. I hope he is okay in there. He feels very loney right now so all he has is my letters. Give me hope!

BB's Mom
06-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Let me know if there are any questions you have. I will be happy to help. The SAFP program my son was in allowed him to call when he arrived to let us know exactly where he had been transferred to. Also we were able to visit him once he turned in his visitor's list. Which turned out to be the first weekend he was there. His unit Glossbrenner never had a lockdown in the 6 months he was there. He also was able to write as soon as he got there.

kwolf150
06-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Usually after the first couple of weeks of a lockdown (if it is for the annual shakedown) they do resume visits though they are non contact. AS for the first 35 days, well, we were told to tell our families that the visiting list we filled out might not be processed and in the system for the first 30 days, but I found that to be the far outside of the usual time it takes. I asked a friendly sargent my 3rd or 4th day there and he looked it up on the computer and found that my family was already entered and could come on down that very weekend, which they did! You may want to call first to see if you are on the list before you go.

Passion4Prince
06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the info. I've heard several things about visits too. Maybe it's different for each facility. I'm not sure When I find info regarding the Humble facility, I will post it.

MonkeyBoi77
06-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Ok now I have to ask these:

when they are moved how long does it take for them to get their info into the computer

how long does it take to be approved for a visit, when the inmate turns the visitors list in

and what if the inmates family or any other relatives dont visit, can someone other than family visit? seeming I am the sole supporter and such.

mamajmg
06-09-2006, 07:06 AM
I can only tell you how it went with Stephen.

He was sentenced to SFP on February 8th, he left county April 20th and it took him until April 26th to arrived at his final destination. Four other prison stops, the first being Huntsville. While in transit he was shackled 24/7 and housed with deathrow inmates.

I began calling Huntsville after 48 hours but he didn't appear in their system. After six days they informed me that he was at McConnell in Beeville. I picked up his clothes from county and they gave me the same info. Monday of the following week (May 1 st) his counselor allowed him to call me from Glossbrenner.

He could turn in the visitors list right away IF he knew EXACTLY how it appeared on our license. But they have 30 days. I contacted the unit after the first week and found who was on the approved list. They didn't offer me names but since I was his mom would verify if I gave them the info. (daughter-n-law was my main concern other than us at that time)
You do not have to be family. We actually have a friend of Stephens and his wife on the list.

Monk - have your boo give your contact info to a cellmate just in case. I was fortunate that Stephen snuck in a quick call to me as soon as they told him to gather his stuff. But have a backup plan to be informed because sometimes they pull them in the middle of the night. Depends on when the "bus" leaves so to speak.

Any help?

Janice

BB's Mom
06-09-2006, 07:41 AM
I just want you to know that never be surprised! Janice's son had a long trip to SAFP as where my son was told one afternoon he would be leaving. He was able to call home and tell us if we came to County he might already be gone. Well he left early the next morning and was taken directly to Glossbrenner. He made no stops! He was shackled for the ride. He arrived on a Wednesday and turned in his visitor's list right away. We were able to visit that very first weekend. You don't have to be a family member, but the info that is turned in must be exactly what is on the visitor's drivers license. I wanted to add this to Janice's post, so you know not to be surprised about how the transfer will go. Good luck and I hope it is soon that your Boo is transferred. Stay strong and hold on.

MonkeyBoi77
06-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Ty ladies for the info when I see her I will tell her to give her bunkie my fone number and have her call me and if she cant get through give her bunkies man my info and he can call me from the house and such. I dont have a block but the fone just rings on her end when she has tried to call me.

SO we will see what happens and how long it takes when she goes, if it takes like a week or more, at least I had forewarning on it.

Ty ladies

CGovan
07-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Is there anyone out there themselves, with a son at the SAFPF at Joe Ney State Jail, and may have any comforting info regarding why my son was moved there out of the blue, after already being a level three status
trustee from Dominguez State Jail, and without no warning was snagged to Hondo, to something listed on Private Road, 78861 zip code? Is this something that all inmates have to be shocked with before they ever reach home, halfway? Does anybody know anything specifically regarding this particular SAFP Facility, time limits, duties, and such? Please share, anyone that cares to, I am praying for all our families, in the Name of Jesus. CGovan

MonkeyBoi77
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
U might want to look up on the TDCJ website for the hondo facility and give them a call

Chads-mama
07-22-2006, 12:30 PM
My son was sentenced (he asked for) safep on a state jail felony in Henderson County,but because of the state jail felony, his probation was revoked in Smith county (for getting caught in a drug free zone at midnight, with pot dusted in cocain, before his senior year in high school. The drug free zone was a school office located behind his work.)The judge in Henderson County went ahead and gave him safep, thinking the other judge in Smith county would go along with the safep punishment. She did'nt, she sentenced him to 5 years for revokation for his probation for his 1st offense. So now he just got transferred to Gurney from county and he's afraid he'll have to do the 5 year sentence then go to safep after his sentence. I talked to a lawyer about getting a bench warrant to get him back before the judge in Henderson County that gave him safep, to change his sentence back to 2 years so they can run concerant. Does this sound unreasonable? It does'nt to my brain, but I may be completely off. Anybody have any input?
Thanks,
Glenda,saved by grace,leaning wholly on the Lord!

pami57
07-22-2006, 04:00 PM
CGOVAN - Sometimes SAFP is a condition of their parole answer, like my daughter's. She received an FI-6R which means she must serve 6 months Rehab (6R)
before being released; she was moved to SAFP from prison, which she is in now and half way through!!!!! She will be released in October. You can also call the TDCJ status line which is 512-406-5202 an they will tell you his status.

AllenJojo
07-22-2006, 08:37 PM
My son was sentenced (he asked for) safep on a state jail felony in Henderson County,but because of the state jail felony, his probation was revoked in Smith county (for getting caught in a drug free zone at midnight, with pot dusted in cocain, before his senior year in high school. The drug free zone was a school office located behind his work.)The judge in Henderson County went ahead and gave him safep, thinking the other judge in Smith county would go along with the safep punishment. She did'nt, she sentenced him to 5 years for revokation for his probation for his 1st offense. So now he just got transferred to Gurney from county and he's afraid he'll have to do the 5 year sentence then go to safep after his sentence. I talked to a lawyer about getting a bench warrant to get him back before the judge in Henderson County that gave him safep, to change his sentence back to 2 years so they can run concerant. Does this sound unreasonable? It does'nt to my brain, but I may be completely off. Anybody have any input?
Thanks,
Glenda,saved by grace,leaning wholly on the Lord!

That sounds about par for the course for Smith County. They have a reputation of being pretty damn tough.

Beatriz85
08-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi there im Beatriz my ? to the people do u think that safep helps the inmates? Also a very important ? about the half way houses do u think they will transfer the inmate back to his county? My bf only has to do 3 months at half way house will they send him back to our county?

QueenBizzle
08-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Original post:Hi there im Beatriz my ? to the people do u think that safep helps the inmates? Also a very important ? about the half way houses do u think they will transfer the inmate back to his county? My bf only has to do 3 months at half way house will they send him back to our county?
Beatriz,
I belive it helps, but only if they want to be helped. They have to make it work, and contuniue to work at it, recovery is a life long prosess. My husband completed the program, he saya he learned a lot more than just substance abuse. As for the houses, they do there best to get placed into a home close to there county, but it all depends on there release from safpf, and where a bed is open. My husband had to wait a extra 2 months after he completed Safpf, and we lived North of Dallas his halfway home was in Tyler. Good luck!

mamajmg
08-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Since my son is still at a safp facility I can only say that at this point his attitude and determination is everything I could hope for and have prayed for. As he's told me, his true recovery starts when he comes home and he is now learning the tools to help him.

As far as the halfway houses - I can only share with you what little bit I've learned. From what I understand there is a list of h/w houses provided. You can request certain locations BUT it could extend your stay at safp waiting for a bed to open at those locations. Otherwise, I believe that they will automatically release you to the county your probation is in. My son chose to be open with his request on the h/w house so that he could be released without delay upon completion of safp.

QueeenBizzle is right again from what my son has told me. SAFP is a behavior modification program. Although it's where many of our loved ones are sent for addiction issues it's really about much more than addiction issues. Personally, my son seems to be understanding and be responding to the program. It's not easy but as was said, you must be willing to let the program work for you and work the program. If you're not ready for the recovery process then it will not work.

I can only keep praying that my son sincerely is ready as he says.

God Bless

Janice

MonkeyBoi77
08-09-2006, 01:23 AM
It helps if they want the help to stay clean and sober. From what I know the halfway houses depend on availablity to where they can go. Good luck.

scarlettmom7872
08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Does everyone being released from Safe_P have to go to have a halfway house. My hubby just got a f1-6r. He has already done 8 months in TDC.

mamajmg
08-27-2006, 03:28 PM
scarlettmom, from what I understand, yes. The halfway house is part of the program. My son told me that it is a way to see if they implement things they've learned through the safp program before returning completely to the free world. At least with the halfway house they can earn priveleges that allows them to come home for visits and such as they prove themselves.

Good luck and God Bless

Janice

BB's Mom
09-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Not only is the halfway house the next step after SAFP, but then after the halfway house there is aftercare. The aftercare program that my son is required to attend once a week last for 6 months. He has said that some other aftercare programs are twice a week. After the aftercare program requirement is completed then my son has to begin completing his community service and paying his fines, etc.

Good news is my son is doing very well! He had one slip with alcohol, but he is back on the right track again. :)

Lisas99ta
09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Cathy1127Hi: This is my first time posting, so I hope that I am doing it right.
I was wondering if I could find out some information about SAFP Programs around the Texas area. My daughter is in Harris County Jail, three months pregnant and waiting for a SAFP Program. She has been talking to other ladies and they say that you wait so long to get into one. The judge ordered a six month program and then she will have to go to a halfway house for two months after that. It is very hard to find out any information, I was told by someone in authority that she would either go to Waco or Dayton, and that it could be a eight to ten week wait. Thank you for all your help.

Cathy1127;)

Hi, im Lisa, my daughter has just been ordered by the courts for the exact program and time frame. She's not pregnant but she has a 2 and 3 year old at home waiting for her. She's at randall county jail and they told her the week was only about a week, but that it would take 2-3 weeks just to get the paper work done. Thats absolutly all I know about this place, I hope to learn more here on this forum, good luck to you and your daughter, I know first hand how hard it is. My heart is just breaking into pieces over this whole thing.

Lisas99ta
09-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Beatriz,
I belive it helps, but only if they want to be helped. They have to make it work, and contuniue to work at it, recovery is a life long prosess. My husband completed the program, he saya he learned a lot more than just substance abuse. As for the houses, they do there best to get placed into a home close to there county, but it all depends on there release from safpf, and where a bed is open. My husband had to wait a extra 2 months after he completed Safpf, and we lived North of Dallas his halfway home was in Tyler. Good luck!

When you say he had to wait 2 months for the halfway house, do they keep them in SafeP or where ever there at untill they have an opening??

Lisas99ta
09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi i dont know if im doing this right or not, im trying to post my own question but im afraid im replying to someone elses post. My daughter is being sent to Safp, my question is how do i get money on her books if i dont know when or where she's going? And does anyone know how many differant places they can send her in Texas? All they told her was that they were all down south.
Thank you for any info you can help me with.

WilcoMom
09-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi i dont know if im doing this right or not, im trying to post my own question but im afraid im replying to someone elses post. My daughter is being sent to Safp, my question is how do i get money on her books if i dont know when or where she's going? And does anyone know how many differant places they can send her in Texas? All they told her was that they were all down south.
Thank you for any info you can help me with.

Hi Lisas99ta. Yes, you are replying to someone else's post. But that's okay. To start a new thread, you would return to the previous menu or page, and in the upper left corner you would see a button that says "start new thread."

Once your daughter goes to SAFP, her information should pop up on the TDCJ inmate locator ... it takes a few days. That will tell you where she is, and her TDCJ number. Once you have that number, you can put money on her account through http://www.jpay.com ... I've found that to be easiest. Hopefully she will be told where she's going and can get you a message, letter or phone call. If not, don't panic. She's being taken care of and will show up on the system in a few days.

mamajmg
10-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I agree - jpay was the easiest when my son was at safp also! I just wanted to add that in I put extra money on his books from county that was designated for his safp money. His county money transferred with him.

Lisas99ta
10-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I agree - jpay was the easiest when my son was at safp also! I just wanted to add that in I put extra money on his books from county that was designated for his safp money. His county money transferred with him.

Hi, i was wondering, if they're money transfers with them, do you know how long it takes then to get it once they have been moved to safP?
Thankyou for any help you can give me ;o)

mamajmg
10-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Gosh, as far as in the number of days it took - I don't know. Each time he left county for safp he did the tour of Texas and it took 5-7 days! But his money was already on his books the first time he came up for commissary run.

Lisas99ta
11-12-2009, 04:03 PM
My daughter is going to Hackberry to special needs, she met a girl in county that was just released from there not long ago. This girl has her terrified, telling her that made the girls stand facing a concrete wall for 8 straight hours for punishment (exp. talking without permission) and this girl went for a 6-9 month program and was kept there for 15 months??? Does anyone know if this is true?? Can they really keep them that long?? My daughter was sentenced to 6 months and then 3 in a half way house, Someone please help shine some light on this subject for me, we're terrified, she needs rehab, not torture.
Thankyou for any help anyone can give me on this Unit.

mamajmg
11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
When my son was at safp the first time he had a 70 day "extension". Sorry can't remember the proper term right now. We found out that the delay in his release was due to his not passing staffing his first time which caused him to lose his bed slot at the halfway house. During that time I was told they couldn't hold over longer than 90 days - so to answer your question - I honestly don't know how or why she could've been there for 15 months. It's not something I've heard of happening before.

There are many stories that I heard in the beginning of our journey. In questioning my son about them I can only offer you what he told me. SAFP is a behavior modification program. The "penalty" that you described is done when there is "extreme and severe" repeated offenses by someone within a dorm. They are taught to be family and how the actions of one within that family can and will affect all. So, if Jane Doe is repeatedly defiant the entire "family" is also punished. It's not something that is done impulsively. The program counselors and tdc personnel make the decision to apply that punishment together.

I hope that I'm explaining this correctly.

We have gone through SAFP and SAFP fast track and although my son has been on tight house he assured me that they were fed and given bathroom breaks during that time. He has never experienced any type of inhumane treatment. During his time there he says that he wasn't taught alot but learned alot - it made a difference in his recovery. He's still working at it - they are given tools to use for sobriety and must learn how to apply them in the free world.

I hope this helps calm your fears a bit. Best of luck to you and your daughter!

WilcoMom
11-13-2009, 07:49 AM
So it sounds to me as if this girl in county is a very hard core, resistant to change addict, and that's why she's had such a long program and hard time. And if she was recently released, I'd wonder why she is back in county ... they release to a half-way-house. My thought would be that if she's in county, she's back on drugs that contributed to her being in county. Bottom line, she's not the person your daughter needs to be listening to ... unless it's as a 'negative role model' ... or she uses it as an example of what not to do ...

Lisas99ta
11-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Thankyou both for our input! I told my daughter the same thing. DO NOT LISTEN, to someone that has done the program and is right back in jail. Her attorney told her the same thing. We did hear that Hackberry is or has already installed pay phones to the unit that they can use only if they are on good behavior. Does anyone know anything about that?
Thanks for your help, if anyone else has any info on the Hackberry special needs female unit please let me know.:o

pfinch21
11-28-2009, 10:05 PM
hey guys i am new to this place but hope someone out ther can help me out. last week my fionce was sentenced to 6 months in safp an 3 months in a half way house after that can anyone out ther tell me alil about what this place is exactly and what he needs to look froward to i have found alil info online but not much really from what it seems like from what i have found so far it seems like a boot camp of some sort

kevinphillips
12-02-2009, 02:45 AM
To anyone who reads this:D . I have a freind that just got transfered:( from GREENDAY. in Fort Wort TX. im not sure where he is yet:mad: .But my questions are , where are these safp facilities at? how does the program work,how long are they in for? Things like that. I would appreciate all the info you can give me.;)
can u tell me what i can take to safp when i go to county to safp

kevinphillips
12-02-2009, 03:11 AM
hey guys i am new to this place but hope someone out ther can help me out. last week my fionce was sentenced to 6 months in safp an 3 months in a half way house after that can anyone out ther tell me alil about what this place is exactly and what he needs to look froward to i have found alil info online but not much really from what it seems like from what i have found so far it seems like a boot camp of some sort
if u ever found out what the can take and what it is like in safp.

sadmom1988
01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Is safp a prison? can someone help me out with this. My son is waiting to go somewhere in texas I hope that it is a rehab like the lawyer said and not prison

WilcoMom
01-09-2010, 02:34 PM
sadmom, SAFP is a rehabilitation setting run by TDCJ. If you use the search function above and type in Texas SAFP you'll find many recent threads that will give you good information.

sadmom1988
01-09-2010, 02:50 PM
I can not seem to concentrate, my daughter is having a hard time in school as well. Is this a good place, I one year a long time for smoking pot. it is wrong but the law is law. The lawyer told us that my boy is not strong enough that it will be tuff. How tuff is it he is well mannered and polite. He always respects. How do we now where he is going?

WilcoMom
01-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I can not seem to concentrate, my daughter is having a hard time in school as well. Is this a good place, I one year a long time for smoking pot. it is wrong but the law is law. The lawyer told us that my boy is not strong enough that it will be tuff. How tuff is it he is well mannered and polite. He always respects. How do we now where he is going?

He'll be fine mom, he'll be fine. But it will only be as good as he makes it. If he wants to make changes in his life, and follows the rules and the program, he'll come out the other side successful. This, in my opinion, is a better placement for him than a TDCJ unit. He will actually be getting help. I would encourage you to search for posts by mamajmg ... she is picking her son up from the same program at the end of this week. You can see from her posts how her son fared. They're very informative. When they take him on the chain bus, he will show up on the TDCJ inmate locator within a few days, and you'll know where he's gone. You might also be able to ask the county jail if they know where he has been taken. Just keep telling yourself .. he'll be fine.

mamajmg
01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
if u ever found out what the can take and what it is like in safp.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to your question!

To the best of my knowledge the only thing you can take from county to SAFP is your Bible and MAYBE your wedding ring IF it is in your property when you report to county. I've heard conflicting reports on the wedding ring. Also if you have money on you at county it can be applied to your inmate trust fund and you will have available funds when you arrive at SAFP.

mamajmg
01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Is safp a prison? can someone help me out with this. My son is waiting to go somewhere in texas I hope that it is a rehab like the lawyer said and not prison

sadmom - SAFP falls under the jurisdiction of TDCJ. It is not the "norm" prison but a substance abuse treatment program. It is a very structured program that includes counseling, groups, classes. The unit my son was at sat off by itself and was not attached to a TDC unit. Even if the unit your son is sent to is near a TDC prison - the SAFP clients are housed separately.

I hope that helps to ease your concerns some.

mamajmg
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM

sadmom - I mean NO disrespect toward your attorney but after having my son go through two bouts of SAFP and now the county SATF New Start program I do not understand how your attorney can relay that to you if he has not gone through the program. I do not mean to come across as a smart aleck - I just find it very frustrating as to some of the information that is just thrown out there! And it instills fear in us as loved ones which is actually worse than the fears of the unknown because we believe they know what they are talking about. Pls accept my apologies for the rant! My son is also a very kind hearted, well mannered loveable young man - and tho he is not "cured" he survived SAFP and progressed on his road to recovery.

SAFP is a behavior modification program in a therapeutic setting. It can be mentally challenging because it is designed to have the addict recognize ways of thinking (common phrase is called dope fiend thinking or dope fiend behaviors) - become aware and accountable of their behaviors and the affect it has not only on them but those around them and remove past behaviors. As loved ones we know that loving them to death has not saved them - there must be another way. They are not coddled nor are they abused - but they are made to be accountable for their decisions.

Please ask any question that crosses your mind - It's been almost five years ago that I was sitting looking for information just like you and I look forward to sharing any and all information I can to make this journey easier for you!

Blessings ~ Janice

Weary Mom
01-23-2010, 04:45 PM
My son is finishing his last month at Sayle SAFP in Breckenridge. Be happy to answer any questions that I can. Just PM me.

Sugie

Hi, My son will be Judge-mandated to a special needs SAFP, for those with mental or dual diagnosis The lawyer asked around, and was told they thought around Lubbock, Tx. Any info on this type of SAFP? How will I find out about this designation in TDC site? I've heard few encouraging histories of SAFP, its program or administration. Is the Judge giving correct info? Thanks for any info.
Weary Mom

tmgomez
03-31-2010, 10:13 PM
My wife just got SAFEP ordered today. I have tons of questions if anyone can plz answer. I have read alot of posts but that are older i'm sure a few things have changed so here goes....
1. How soon will she be transfered to SAFEP?
2. When she arrives will se be alowed to call to tell me where she is and that she is fine?
3. Will i have to get a home phone due to that call being collect i only have cell phones.
4. If she uses the program to turn her life around how long will she stay? 6 months?
5. How long and how often are visits normally?
6. Is there still a pilot program or sober living where she can come home after the six months? If so how do i go about makeing sure we can get that? We dont really want to do the halfway house thing we have a 1 year old son and possibly a baby on the way...we will know in the next few days.
7. If she is indeed pregnant will that extend her stay in SAFEP? If shes pregnant she is only about a month along.

Thanx ahead of time

mamajmg
03-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi tmgomez - I can offer the information as I know it during my sons SAFP time - if anything has changed I'm sure that someone will offer their updated info -
My wife just got SAFEP ordered today. I have tons of questions if anyone can plz answer. I have read alot of posts but that are older i'm sure a few things have changed so here goes....
1. How soon will she be transfered to SAFEP?
County wait time may vary from 30-90 days . I think it may depend somewhat on the county as some have claimed three weeks.

2. When she arrives will se be alowed to call to tell me where she is and that she is fine?
When your wife arrives she'll be processed into the unit and meet with her counselor - she will be allowed a monitored five minute phone call to let you know that she's arrived.

3. Will i have to get a home phone due to that call being collect i only have cell phones.
Yes - have you checked out the Phone Forums? You will find the procedure for set up and other helpful information

4. If she uses the program to turn her life around how long will she stay? 6 months?
The SAFP program is six months or nine months for special needs.

5. How long and how often are visits normally?
She will receive the paperwork for her visitation list during processing. She will need to fill it out exactly as it appears on the identification that will be used. If she turns it in during processing give the unit a call after a few days to verify if it's been approved. Our process went quickly and I was able to visit in about ten days. Visitation is either Friday or Saturday between 8:00 - 5:00 for two hours.

6. Is there still a pilot program or sober living where she can come home after the six months? If so how do i go about makeing sure we can get that? We dont really want to do the halfway house thing we have a 1 year old son and possibly a baby on the way...we will know in the next few days.
I don't know if this also varies by county. My sons halfway house after SAFP was a condition of his judge's sentencing. And instead of 45 days he had to stay the full 90. Others have qualified for the pilot program and went directly home. My friend obtained the information from her husbands PO shortly before his release.

7. If she is indeed pregnant will that extend her stay in SAFEP? If shes pregnant she is only about a month along.
Hopefully someone else will come along with personal experience with this. My initial thought is that the pregnancy would put her in a special needs (medical) unit which might possibly extend her SAFP to the nine months. But that is purely speculation on my part.

Thanx ahead of time
I hope that I have been of some help.

tmgomez
04-01-2010, 05:53 AM
Thank you very much for you quick reply. This entire thing has me so stressed out, and i cant imagine how scared my wife is. I hope this will turn her life around and she relizes what is important to her so we can get on with our lives and live a long happy life together.

lonlee
04-11-2010, 12:27 PM
:DMy son is finishing his last month at Sayle SAFP in Breckenridge. Be happy to answer any questions that I can. Just PM me.

Sugie
:DHi I have lots of questions.How long before first visit,hows the treatment,hows the food do they treat the inmates good etc?Any info would be greatly appreciated

babyguz1
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
my friends boyfriend is in brazoria county (2wks) waiting on chain to go to safp, he got 9 months, so it could be a while before he goes and none of this county counts, what does the county do with the time this guy has served there. just thinking out loud.

screwnutz987
04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Babyguz1, the sad answer is: nothing. It's a waiting period and counts for nothing. Nice!

Missymama
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Here is some information that maybe helpful to some.

Hackberry Unit is in Gatesville, Texas. It is a seperate unit inside of other units. The address is 1401 State School Road.

Your loved one is given a very short phone call that is on speaker phone to you within the first few days to let you know where they are. There is a phone number that I will look for that you can use to call and try to locate your family member. They wear white scrub looking uniforms and have nothing when they first arrive. They get to go to the "store" once every two weeks. Their voculabary will change quickly once there. It is entirely up to you to have money on their accounts so that when they go to the store, they can get the very basic things they need. I used jpay, and it was fast, 3-4 days for the money to hit her account, and the fees were reasonable. They are allowed to shower only every two days. They are fed pork, pork,pork. They work. They are assigned a "big sister." They are not allowed to touch each other, and for the most part they are not allowed to talk to each other either. They are in "dorms", which are actually large spaces with cubicle walls.

Visitations are on Saturday and Sundays. 8:30 am ish to like 3 pm ish. Your family members will be delighted to see you and bring change for the vending machines, as they love this. The change should be in a ziplock bag. When you go to visit, usually allowed very quickly after they arrive, 1 week to 2 weeks, be very patient. You will need to have your car gone thru, both coming and going out, need to know their #. (That's right, their number and more on this later) They are allowed two adult visitors at one time and children is pretty much unlimited-space provided. The visit room is about the size of a large bedroom in a cinder block cement floor building and it does have windows. On really nice days, you may be allowed to visit in the little grassy yard area which is at the entrance of the visit building. It gets very loud in the visit room, so be prepared. They are searched when they come in to visit and before they leave at visit. you are allowed to hug and cheek peck them when they come in and as you are ending your visit. The kids are allowed to sit in the laps and play and hug and cuddle with them, also they have a few books for the kids. They must sit in a chair where they are facing the guard and they are not allowed to get up once they have come in and sit down to visit. You will be searched when you go to visit at the entrance gate to Hackberry unit itself. There is air conditioning in the visit room, but most of the time it does not do an adequet job and is very noisy. They can not talk about certian things so if you are not satisified with some answers they have for your questions, please understand.

More in another note, or you may pm me.

JohnnyA375
11-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Is there a link or info piece somewhere that I can send to my son who wants to know WHAT is SAFP and What is it ABOUT? All I get on here is HORROR stories! He needs to know WHAT is IT! What are the RULES? What is it LIKE? Is it like General Population? Come on people! All I can get is STORIES! He NEEDS to know FACTS!

jewels86
12-08-2010, 04:06 PM
found out yesterday that i go back to court jan 18,2011
if i take the plea bargin i will get 4months county, 6months SAFP

was wondering if anyone had anyy advice or could answer some ?'s i have about SAFP

JA0320
12-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi I'm new to all of this, but my fiancee was just transfered to a SAFP facility. I haven't heard anything from him yet about where he is actually at, but some sources I have found out that he is in the East Texas Treatment Facility in Henderson, TX. Can anyone tell me anything about this SAFP facility? I'm also wanting to know about visitations. I've heard that visits are contact visits, but then I've also heard that contact visits are only for immediate family and spouses. If anyone can give me any information I would really appreciate it.

moonbeam78749
12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi I'm new to all of this, but my fiancee was just transfered to a SAFP facility. I haven't heard anything from him yet about where he is actually at, but some sources I have found out that he is in the East Texas Treatment Facility in Henderson, TX. Can anyone tell me anything about this SAFP facility? I'm also wanting to know about visitations. I've heard that visits are contact visits, but then I've also heard that contact visits are only for immediate family and spouses. If anyone can give me any information I would really appreciate it.

Hello!
My husband has been in the SAFP program at ETTF and should be going to a HWH this week..I can tell you that the visits are contact visits if you are immediate family, spouse or common law married.. Make sure he has you on his visitation list.. You can call 1-972-964-7010 and set up a phone account, you will have to pay a minimum of $55.00 and that will give him about 6 phone calls to the number you pay for.. The phones are usually turned on after 5pm on Fridays and they can use the phone all weekend.. During the week the phones are off. Visitation is Sat and Sun from 8-5.. If you can get there early (before 10 am) they have a family education class... if you go to that, you can spend an extra hour with him.. but they put you in a smaller room and from my experience, watch you like a hawk. The normal visits are in a cafeteria like setting.. with vending machines.. bring about 15 dollars in quarters. Let me know if you have any more questions!!
Alondra

Missymama
12-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Safp-

Daughhter went to Hackberry Unit...9 month program, she was there a bout 11 and a half months. Had to wait on room in the halfway house. Visits are in a little room with lots of people. Is this prision? physically located in the center of many woman's prision...go thru two check ins. The stories are true about the time...used to be referred to as "chairs". It is awful. Results in some hard core issues-vary person to person. We got thru it, and daughter still doesn't talk much about those times. Techinally not prision, however they get a prison ID#...so as far as I am concerned, it is prison. Shows up when ID is checked afterwards too...sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

addictsmom
12-16-2010, 09:32 PM
JohnnyA375, SAFP is a prison in every sense of the word. It is considered a behaviour modification unit but it is still prison. Clients (used very loosley) sit in chairs up to 16 hours a day attending one session after another. After awhile they are allowed a job. My daughter worked as yard maintence for a while and in the kitchen for awhile. They have study workbooks, do lots of writing (not much home, they dont have time) and are kept very busy. I do not know what kind of facts you are looking for that has not been answered here somewhere. There success rate is around 3% of their clients remaining clean and sober. This is not a typo!! SAFP treats any kind of addiction be it drugs or alcohol. There were no phones when my daughter was there. Visits are fairly nice if you get to sit outside. Think concentration camp and you can fill in the rest :(

Diane

cjSweetwater
12-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Some are and some are TDCJ. For instance, Jester and Estelle are Gateway run. Johnston Unit is TDCJ. Even though some are privately run, they are still bound by TDCJ policy.

SAF-P is NOT a TDCJ program. It is a commercial, privately operated, privately staffed "treatment" program that is usually conducted "next door" to a TDCJ unit. Clients are referred by a judge, not a prison administrator.

Why the delay? Again there is no real central control, and the county judges simply regard this as an option to get people out of county facilities. They also have the right to release a client, revoke him and send him to TDCJ facility if he is not "doing the program". So there is going to be delays if the judges over-prescribe this method of treatment.

BT2

addictsmom
12-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Some are and some are TDCJ. For instance, Jester and Estelle are Gateway run. Johnston Unit is TDCJ. Even though some are privately run, they are still bound by TDCJ policy.

I agree. The Hackberry unit in Gatesville is privatly run but make no mistake, they are under TDCJ rules and policies...

Diane

jewels86
01-13-2011, 01:04 AM
where are the possible places females would be sent in texas??

RobinsMan
01-13-2011, 08:18 AM
For SAFP? Henley in Dayton, Halbert in Burnet and Hackberry (Crain Unit) in Gatesville.

sray035
11-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Sugie

My son is finishing his last month at Sayle also. Where is your son going next? Can you tell a difference? Did it help him? I don't know anything about their program. I was told that at some point they would encourage family members to take part...never heard anything from them. Did you take part of your son's recovery. Just not sure of what to expect next. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.:):)

amatxblonde
12-27-2012, 08:38 PM
my son is in the walker saylr unit and is 20 days out from coming home..he will do 3 months at the 1/2 way house here in Amarillo texas where he lives...Im trying to find out about the Amarillo house cause its pretty new here

keith74mom
01-05-2013, 06:49 AM
So far I have found these units that have SAFP for a FI 6R . Glossbrenner, Jester 1, Johnston, Sayle and LeBlanc. Is this correct? Are there any others?

Renee
01-05-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't know when it was last updated, but this is TDCJ's Unit Directory - Region/Type of Facility/Map (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/unit_directory/unit_map.html&sa=U&ei=cJjoUImpGo7V0gHKlYGgDg&ved=0CAcQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHYgYRUE6CcwIOEhSPnWs4feyan0g). Hope that helps!

keith74mom
01-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Thank you- I did look at this link and it seems to have a good description of the types of services at the units.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/unit_directory/index.html

I don't know when it was last updated, but this is TDCJ's Unit Directory - Region/Type of Facility/Map (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/unit_directory/unit_map.html&sa=U&ei=cJjoUImpGo7V0gHKlYGgDg&ved=0CAcQFjAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHYgYRUE6CcwIOEhSPnWs4feyan0g). Hope that helps!

Renee
01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
You may want to check out THIS (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6983652&postcount=1) thread, too. Again, I'm ont sure when the map was last updated!

keith74mom
01-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Thank you - interesting- the link says there are 11 units but doesn't name them . I guess we will just have to wait and see where he is sent.

You may want to check out THIS (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6983652&postcount=1)thread, too. Again, I'm ont sure when the map was last updated!

keith74mom
01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
OOPs- looking at the map - will check it out- looks like they are labeled and I will make a list !