View Full Version : Visitation rights for girlfriends

weefolk
05-11-2002, 11:34 AM
i was just wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to visit my boyfriend when he goes to jail. and if so, will i be able to have physical contact? even just a hug will be nice. And does anyone know what kind of activities are federal prisoners allowed to do. And what kind of gifts can they receive?
i hope someone knows. because all my questions without any answers are killing me. thanks a bunch!

love muffin
05-11-2002, 05:13 PM
Weefolk,

I can't answer your questions on the federal prison system. I have a Fiancee in the state system in North Carolina and mine is a long story, but when I was allowed to visit you can hug and kiss when you arrive and hug and kiss when you leave. Of course you can sneek in little feels here and there when the guards aren't watching. Every prison is different. Some are laid back and you can get really physical and some watch your every move.

If you asked Fed Ex this question I'm sure he can help you.

montysgirl
05-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Don't know too much about the Feds but in TDCJ, girlfriends can have general visits(through glass) but not contact visits

Shortie
05-12-2002, 01:49 PM
again fed x is the one to answer that one.

CARLAxoxoxTODD
05-13-2002, 02:08 AM
Hi Weefolk,

First of all, Federal visitation is much different than state. You CAN'T just show up. You have to be approved (if you are not an immediate family member).

Your boyfriend will have to send a form to you, you'll send it back and a background check will be performed. Once it's approved by his counselor, he'll let you know you can start visiting. DON'T show up until you hear from him that it was approved. They won't let you see him! :(

Approval usually takes about 2 weeks. It depends on the counselors case load. They are not allowed visits the first week because they are going through orientation.

Your best bet would be to have him send you the page from his orientation handbook that addresses visitation.

You can hug & kiss at the beginning & end, hold hands, you may have an arm around each other (shoulder or waist). Anything other that (making out, groping) will terminate the visitation. You can only bring in a clear bag (ziplock is the best) with $20 worth of change for vending machines. You can't give him any of the change.

There are ALOT of activities. At a Low Security, there are softball/soccer fields, volleyball & basketball courts, weightpile, library, computer & self-help classes. Guess that's why they're called CLUB FED!

They can't accept gifts and you can't give him anything during visits. They have a commissary (store) that they can get items from (walkmans, sports equipment, clothes, etc).

I'm not sure where ur boyfriend is designated but the info is pretty standard across the board. My fiance is at Lompoc.

Hope this helps!
Carla
:wave:

soraya
05-13-2002, 02:27 AM
will they believe or allow me to visit Darrell, since I'm from across the ocean. I have this feeling they will never believe I'm his g/f....

and can anyone explain to me in short the difference between a state prison and a federal prison? I'm still confused

CARLAxoxoxTODD
05-13-2002, 03:06 AM
Hi Sorraya,

Is your b/f in a state or federal prison?

If he's in Federal, he will have to request to send a visitation form to you. It asks:

-your name
-address & phone number
-social security/passport number
-driver's license number
-birthdate
-if you even want to visit him
-your relation to him
-how long you've known him
-how you met
-if you've ever been convicted of a crime (on parole or probation)
-if you visit or write anyone else that is in jail (if so who & where)

After the form is filled out, you send it back to his counselor. When the counselor receives it, he varifies the information through the Department of Justice. If it checks out ok, you are usually approved.

The difference between State & Federal is each state has their own laws if you break that state law you go to state prison.

Federal laws are ones that are for the whole country. Most common is if you attempt to transport drugs in or out of the country or across different states.

Hope I explained it ok :hmm:

Good Luck!
Carla

soraya
05-13-2002, 03:22 AM
Thanks a lot. this is very useful indeed. I still need to get the form, but he told me he'll wait until he's transferred....

Sexesweet
05-13-2002, 06:48 AM
i don't see why not my husband is in prison i can give him a hug why other woman do more than that to there man but if they get caught they loose a visit and the inmate goes in the box i think.

CREAMYALMONDZ
05-13-2002, 08:23 AM
It depends on the jail that he is in. In some prisons you can have physical contact (you sit at tables with your hunny.) and in others a glass seperates you. If he's lucky, he'll be at a facility where you can sit at tables together and touch. Call the prison and ask what their visiting procedures are.

CREAMYALMONDZ
05-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Soraya,
I hope things work out for you. It must be really hard especially when you're overseas. If you need someone talk to talk don't hesitate to ask!

soraya
05-13-2002, 08:32 AM
thanks a lot, Leonda. It is hard, yes, because I cannot visit him, not yet...but soon I hope!!

CREAMYALMONDZ
05-14-2002, 07:30 AM
I don't know if prisons consider fiancees as girlfriends but Steven has me on as a relative. What's the difference between a federal prison and a state prison?

Budwoman
05-14-2002, 08:31 AM
SORAYA:

YES, NORTH CAROLINA WILL ALLOW YOU TO VISIT DARRELL. HE WILL HAVE TO PUT YOU ON HIS VISITATION LIST WITH YOUR NAME, ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER. HE ALSO NEEDS TO LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE TRAVELING FROM OVERSEAS.... IN RALEIGH, YOU WILL HAVE TO VISIT THROUGH GLASS.... IT IS A MAXIMUM SECURITY PRISON.... IF HE GETS MOVED TO ANOTHER MEDIUM UNIT IN THE NEAR FUTURE, HE WILL BE ABLE TO VISIT BY SITTING AT A TABLE....

ALSO, IN MOST CASES, THEY WILL LET YOU HAVE MORE THAN JUST ONE VISIT IF YOU COME FROM A LONG DISTANCE TO VISIT.... YOU MUST REQUEST SPECIAL VISITS THROUGH THE UNIT HE WILL BE AT BEFORE YOU COME.... THEY WILL DO ALL THE PAPERWORK.... YOU MIGHT EVEN BE ABLE TO VISIT THREE OR MORE TIMES IF YOU GET IT SET UP.

DONNA

soraya
05-14-2002, 08:42 AM
thanks a lot Donna. I'm not sure if he'll be moving there. A guy who was with him in prison(Also a washington dc prisoners) has been moved to georgia and willbe going to florida soon...darrell should go to a lower security level prison so that's a good sign. because he's in a level 5 prison right now...i hope i will be able to stay for a month. will they still allow those special visits then, you think?

weefolk
05-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Thanks Carla for giving me a lot of information. My boyfriend (zodiac) hasn't decided if he is going to cooperate with the Feds or to just serve his time. Supposidley, he might get a lot of time knocked off from different things. Like a safety valve? or the drug program and then good behavior and then a half way house. But, I dont know if he will qualify for all those things. he could get 4 years knocked down to 1 1/2. he will most likely be in a low security prison in texas. if anyone can give me more information about ANYTHING, then i would gladly appreciate it. but thanks again for the help!!

Budwoman
05-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Yes, I am sure they will. Even Florida and Georgia and pretty good about visitation... Even friends can go visit... Most places do offer special visits to those who travel a long way..

Good Luck Girl

Donna

BillnDenise
05-17-2002, 10:18 PM
I totally agree with everything Carla said about visitation in federal prison. Billy is in a medium security federal prison and I had to go through everything that she mentioned.

In addition: Billy has 300 phone minutes a month. Each call lasts 15 minutes. He can either call collect or pay for it directly from his account. He has 8 visitation points a month. One point is taken for each weekday visit. Two points are taken for each weekend and holiday visit. I can send him soft cover books, magazines, money orders, book markers, and anything off the 'net.

Billy is taking art classes, g.e.d. classes, and working. He can't get a halfway house or time off for the drug program because of his charge. No parole, either. Just a straight shot with good behavior added on.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Hugs,

Shortie
05-17-2002, 10:26 PM
THE STATE PRISON ARE RAN AND OPERATED BY THE STATE AND FALL UNDER STATE GUIDELINES.

THE FEDERAL PRISONS ARE RAN AND OPERATED BY THE GOVERNMENT AND FALL UNDER GOVERNMENT RULES AND GUIDELINES.

THE TWO ARE VERY DIFFERENT AND ARE REALLY NOT TO BE CONFUSED..

soraya
05-18-2002, 05:37 AM
So I take that when you commit a crime like murder or kidnapping or something like that, you're send to fed. and things like fraude...to state?

Shortie
05-18-2002, 04:34 PM
no it just depends on where the crime took place and if it was in federal direstiction or on the st level.. it is complicated and you have no real idea of what law enforcement agency is going to pick up the charges some times. stuff with mail is federal and kidnapping can be if the person takes them accross a state line then it is a federal case.. it is complicated and often confussed. My sister is finishing up a bit with our federal system now..