View Full Version : TDCJ's (Texas) rules on indigent inmates filing for divorce

CharlieD's Wife
07-16-2005, 09:43 AM
I am wonderin' if anyone knows how Texas Dept of Criminal Justice rules go for Indigent inmates that file divorce petitions. I'm in Florida so not sure how Texas does things. I know their site says they don't pay for cases. My husband is in TDCJ he had his parole violated. He's a bad alcoholic that got involved with a drug (psycho Crack who***)/alcholic. When he was arrested this last time (been violated twice cuz of runnin' wild and partyin' with her) he gave her a power of attorney. She has used that power of attorney to apply for credit and credit cards. She's ruinin' my credit and my life.. she has change *MY* address to where my mail has been goin' to her. I HAVE filed charges against her for identitiy. Anyway.. to make a long story short.. She has him convinced that *I'M* the one that is doin' all this (identity theft, fraud, got him arrested etc) and he's now filed for divorce with Brazoria county. I have mailed my response to the clerk askin' that this petition not be granted AT THIS TIME for these reasons

1) til the legal issues reguarding his representative (the psycho with the power of attorney)are resolved ALSO WENT INTO DETAIL how he met her and her drug/alcohol problems AND that due to her negative influences that I feel that for her to have the power to make decision pertainin' to my life and my marriage are Inappropriate and unethical.
2) Until Charlie is out of Dept of Criminial Justice and is able to handle the proceedings on HIS OWN BEHALF
3) That Charlie show the court PROOF that he has successfully completed extensive ( not less than 90 days) drug/alcohol counseling AND Mental Health counseling for his deep childhood/life issues that are a major role player in his substance abuse

Can anyone tell me if TDCJ rules will allow an indigent inmate to persue a CONTESTED divorce and The state of Texas rules/laws in divorce proceedings reguardin' and inmate who's spouse contests divorce on the above type of grounds

Thanx for any and all help
I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that the divorce is triggered due to her manipulation that if she goes to jail that she'll take him down with her. I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that these are HER words and NOT his as he doesn't word things the way the *Accusation* letter was written.

Thanx

CharlieD's Wife (at least at the moment)

CharlesG
07-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi CharlieD's wife :-)

Try this site: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/fa.toc.htm

CharlieG :-P

CharlesG
07-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Legal Services - State Counsel for Offenders

Created 1967; Mandate Bounds v. Smith, 430 U.S. 817, 828 (1977) This section assists indigent offenders with some other legal problems. The most common services provided...

Mission

The mission of the State Counsel for Offenders is to provide attorneys who are independent of the confinement divisions of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice to help offenders with...

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stcounsel/stcnsloff-lglsvcs.htm

CharlesG
07-16-2005, 11:54 AM
If I were you, I would find out which county he passed POA in, and contact that court house. Do you know where, what city?
County jail?
Has he caught the TDC chain yet?
What was the last unit he was on in TX?

CharlieD's Wife
07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Hi there

The POA was issued in Florida he was in the Sumter County Detention Center. What is the TDC Chain?? Other than to get the divorce papers and a nasty letter accusin' me of doin' the stuff that psycho crack who** is doin'.. i haven't heard from him BUT.. good new is.. I spoke with the Attorney Generals office yesterday and sent them the info requested. They feel I have a really good FEDERAL case against that psycho crack who** woooo hooo

I'll check out the link you provided.
Thanx so much for all your help

I'm really doin' alot of research and it's my understandin' that he won't have much of a chance of gettin' the divorce granted while he's in TDCJ and from what I understand the courts won't allow someone with a POA to appear in court on behalf of him nor will the pay to transport him to court for an appearance. Sure hope that info is correct..

Thanx again

Charlie D's wife for now aka Cindy

If I were you, I would find out which county he passed POA in, and contact that court house. Do you know where, what city?
County jail?
Has he caught the TDC chain yet?
What was the last unit he was on in TX?

CharlieD's Wife
07-21-2005, 06:35 PM
That is for inmates that are bein' sued for divorce or tryin' to have their parental rights termintated. I don't think that it includes inmates who are suin' for divorce.

Least.. that's the impression that i'm gettin' from the various things i'm reading..

boy.. is this ever a mess ughhhh

the more I read.. the more confused I get

Cindy aka Charlie D's wife

Legal Services - State Counsel for Offenders

Created 1967; Mandate Bounds v. Smith, 430 U.S. 817, 828 (1977) This section assists indigent offenders with some other legal problems. The most common services provided...

Mission

The mission of the State Counsel for Offenders is to provide attorneys who are independent of the confinement divisions of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice to help offenders with...

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stcounsel/stcnsloff-lglsvcs.htm