View Full Version : Cost of Cigarettes?

bebopp7
07-10-2005, 02:25 PM
In Sprinfield Ohio they jumped the price of Cigarettes up $7 on the cartoon! Now it is hard enough fo rme to afford cigarettes for myself much less fo rmy friend in prison! I told him we woul dhave to start making a pack of cigarettes last us at least 3 days.!

My question to Kentucky is where are you located and how much is a carton of Winston Lights where you are at?

Why does the governors always want to put more taxes on us smokers? Pretty soon we will all quit and then that will also put many people out of work! Or doesn't the governemtn see that?

bebopp7
07-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Lots of views but no answers????

KMJoyner
07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I don't know about Kentucky but I live in Michigan and me and a co-worker of mine come to Ohio to buy our cigarettes - they are way cheaper in Ohio than they are in Michigan. Almost 20 bucks a carton cheaper.

Shock1973
07-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I dont smoke..but my brother does. He pays 5 something a pack. His wife also smokes..they smoke about 2 packs a day. Its comes out they spend 300-350 in a month. :( I'm told in NYC they are 8 bucks a pack

Valerie
07-10-2005, 10:44 PM
I couldn't afford to smoke if I bought them from a store.I buy them on-line.

astersbaby2001
07-11-2005, 09:41 AM
my man is in federal prison in KY, and we got to talking about how they are gonna make prisons non-smoking. And he informed me that in November is the last time that anybody can buy cigarettes from commisary. And in January it will be non smoking. So it really doesn't matter to him. I do know that cigarettes are cheaper in KY. Alot cheaper thank Ohio.

starduk
07-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Here in BC it's like $8.25 - $8.50 a pack if you smoke "premium cigarettes", the others (cheepy kind) are like a buck or so cheaper but really, if you are gonna smoke, smoke the good kind! Cartons must be like $70-75? I dunno cause i quit!!

starduk
07-11-2005, 10:09 AM
I swear when i was in Washington state they were like under $3 a pack..

babygirl350
07-11-2005, 12:36 PM
In answer to your question about Winston Lights, I am in Western Kentucky and I can get them at the discount smoke shops for 20-24 a carton. I smoke Eve's at 18 a carton. My husband rolls his own in prison.

bebopp7
07-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Ohio Prisons are going to quit smoking inside the buildings but they can smoke outside but the guards say their union says they will still be able to smoke in the buildings because they do not always get breaks so if they are going to let the workers smoke then the inmates will be too.

I was paying $30 a carton for Winston Lights and now they are $37 before tax! I want to go to Kentucky to buy my smokes and I am close to Cinn. so what town in Kentucky is close for me to buy them cheaper? I imagine the stores and gas stations on the highway would probably be about the same as here so I thought if I went to a small town close to Cinn. I could get them cheaper.

Michigan, how much are you paying if they are $20 a carton more?

You know it is our government that puts all the taxes on the smokes that is causing them to go higher and higher don't you? I went to the Phillipines last year and they have to import all cigarettes and my Winston Lights there was 75 cents a pack or $5 a carton!

Does anyone know how many cartons I can legally bring back to Ohio from Kentucky someone said that if anoyone goes to another state to buy cigaretes or Booze they can only bring so many back to thier home state

Where online do you buy your smokes maybe I should check that out but with shipping and handling is it still cheaper?

Strasse
07-11-2005, 02:55 PM
I couldn't afford to smoke if I bought them from a store.I buy them on-line.

Be careful with that... Several states have already come looking for taxes owed (http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136&languageId=1&contentId=29157), and there's every chance CA will too. (I can't say more than that at this time.) Note also that for everything bought over the Internet on which you don't pay sales tax, you still owe the California "use" tax, and that there's been talk of going to the larger online merchants with a lawsuit and subpoena to identify CA residents purchasing sans sales tax...

No such thing as a free lunch / smoke.

KMJoyner
07-11-2005, 04:57 PM
I smoke Newports and a carton here is almost fifty bucks - about $47. In Toledo Ohio they are $30 a carton.

babygirl350
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Ohio Prisons are going to quit smoking inside the buildings but they can smoke outside but the guards say their union says they will still be able to smoke in the buildings because they do not always get breaks so if they are going to let the workers smoke then the inmates will be too.

I was paying $30 a carton for Winston Lights and now they are $37 before tax! I want to go to Kentucky to buy my smokes and I am close to Cinn. so what town in Kentucky is close for me to buy them cheaper? I imagine the stores and gas stations on the highway would probably be about the same as here so I thought if I went to a small town close to Cinn. I could get them cheaper.

Michigan, how much are you paying if they are $20 a carton more?

You know it is our government that puts all the taxes on the smokes that is causing them to go higher and higher don't you? I went to the Phillipines last year and they have to import all cigarettes and my Winston Lights there was 75 cents a pack or $5 a carton!

Does anyone know how many cartons I can legally bring back to Ohio from Kentucky someone said that if anoyone goes to another state to buy cigaretes or Booze they can only bring so many back to thier home state

Where online do you buy your smokes maybe I should check that out but with shipping and handling is it still cheaper?

Covington, Ky is right across the bridge from Cinci, if you will drive thru there on I 75 you will come upon some smaller towns where you should be able to get them cheaper. I would go look at a map for you, but it is pouring and the maps are out in the car. There is a good sized town outside of Covington (not as big as Covington) and you should see billboard signs I am sure.

As to the quantity, I do not have the legal answer for you on that. However, if you are buying them for your own consumption, who is to say how much you smoke. Hence how many cartons you buy.

I know here where I live, the Smoke shops welcome the business and will sell you as many as you want to buy.

As far as the Poster discussing the Online cigarette buying, yes it is cheaper than what you are paying for them even with the shipping, however, the post about owing taxes is correct.

They are usually not after the average person buying cartons for their own use however. They are interested in the people who buy huge volumes that everyone knows is not just for you or your family's use.

A family member of my husband's got a bill from the state for $3,000.00 from buying her cigarettes online. However, over a period of a year and buying for the entire family as well as friends, paying by credit card led to that. This was in another state, not Kentucky.

You will also find cigarettes cheaper at any of the Indian Reservations. Perhaps where they may have a Bingo Hall. Florida has alot of these.

As to the Internet sites, just go to the Search engines, they all have them listed.

Good luck to you and happy smoking!

ItsMichelle
07-11-2005, 10:05 PM
A carton of Winstons in Oklahoma is $30.49 for a carton.

You can sign up online with Winston and they will bombard you with coupons to use. So even if you buy a carton a week, you will always have a $2 off coupon to purchase them with.

This works out to $28.49 for a carton or $2.84 a pack.

Either way, it still sucks!

California Sunshine
07-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Sorry I'm butting in all the way from Ca. but just had to add my 2 cents :)

Premium brand cartons here are about $45.00 luckily there is a discount store that sells them for $32 though

bebopp7
07-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks all I guess we will drive down through Covington with 5 ofus going and sharing the gas on a small diesal VW we should save a bundle

This is what the above link had to say about internet buying so I am afraid of that My daughter in law will be going to the phillipines shortly so I will see how many cartons she is allowed to bring back also as they are $5 a carton there

States hunt down online cigarette buyers
By Kathleen Hunter, Stateline.org Staff Writer http://www.stateline.org/live/digitalAssets/22_write_icon.gif (letters@stateline.org?subject=States hunt down online cigarette buyers)http://www.stateline.org/live/digitalAssets/21_print_icon.gif (http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=137&languageId=1&contentId=29157)http://www.stateline.org/live/digitalAssets/20_email_icon.gif (http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/sa/emailpage.jsp?&Merchant.ID=i8yl69aab&Merchant.Name=Stateline.org%2C+A+Pew+Research+Cent er+Project&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stateline.org%2Flive%2FViewPa ge.action%3FsiteNodeId%3D136%26languageId%3D1%26co ntentId%3D29157)
Michigan resident Julia Sidebottom inhaled sharply when she opened her mailbox earlier this year and was greeted with an unexpected and unwelcome bill from the state for $4,753.89 in unpaid cigarette and sales taxes.

For several years, Sidebottom's boyfriend purchased cigarettes online at www.esmokes.com (http://www.esmokes.com/), one of 13 online cigarette retailers from which Michigan recently subpoenaed customer lists. She said the bill caught her completely off guard.

"It never even crossed our minds," said Sidebottom, whose 57-year-old boyfriend suffers from Alzheimer's and has granted her power of attorney. "I search the Web all the time for the best deals on everything. Never in a million years did I expect the state to come back and say we own them money."

Sidebottom is one of more than 1,500 Michigan residents who recently were mailed bills for the cigarette and sales taxes they had avoided by buying their smokes from online retailers. After 30 days, Sidebottom's letter informed her that a 100 percent penalty would be added to her existing debt.

Since February, the letters to online cigarette purchasers have garnered Michigan more than $2 million, said Terry Stanton, spokesman for the state treasury department. (http://www.michigan.gov/treasury)

Michigan is just one of the states looking to recoup revenue lost through sales of cigarettes on the Internet, where smokes often are cheaper precisely because the transactions almost never include cigarette and sales taxes owed to to the purchaser's state.

Alaska has already collected about $100,000 -- about one-fourth of the money officials estimate the state is owed -- after 1,000 letters were sent to online cigarette customers.
Illinois has sent 1,300 letters and expects to garner about $100,000.
In Connecticut, 141 people recently were mailed tax bills totaling $165,756.
Pennsylvania revenue officials estimate that the 63 people they notified by mail collectively owe the state $26,810.
Ohio has mailed about 245 letters to collect $20,000 in taxes owed to the state, and 3,000 more letters will go out in the coming weeks.
Arizona and North Dakota also plan to bill online cigarette buyers.
New York City, where smokers pay an extra $3 a pack, the highest cigarette tax in the country, recently billed 2,600 Big Apple residents. City officials say tax-free cigarettes purchased online contributed to an annual loss of $75 million in revenue for state and local governments.

Cigarette taxes aside, at least 10 states (Alaska, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Michigan, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Washington) specifically outlaw online cigarette sales, and state law enforcement officials are cracking down on the virtual vendors.

The Virginia attorney general's office recently prosecuted two online cigarette companies (www.cigoutlet.com (http://www.cigoutlet.com/) and www.affordablecigs.com (http://www.affordablecigs.com/)) and discovered purchases from those two sites cost 46 states $2 million in revenue. Virginia investigators shared the names of those sites' customers with officials in other states, prompting many of the letters.

In Washington state, the Department of Revenue (http://dor.wa.gov/) recently filed a federal lawsuit against www.valuecigs.com (http://www.valuecigs.com/) in an effort to compel the company to turn over the names of its Washington customers. A 1949 federal law requires vendors who ship cigarettes across state lines to provide states with the names and addresses of purchasing residents, but the law has been poorly enforced.

States' efforts to snuff out online cigarette retailers got a boost in March when the major credit card companies announced that they would no longer accept payments for tobacco products bought online. The action cut off the payment method relied on by the vast majority of online cigarette retailers.

The credit card industry also is collaborating with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and with 10 state attorneys general who also announced their intention to crack down on the online cigarette market.

The issue has caught officials' attention because in a growing number of cases, states are relying on revenue generated by smokers to balance their budgets. Since November 2001, 44 states have increased their tobacco taxes, according to the Health Policy Tracking Service (http://www.hpts.org/HPTS2005/home05.nsf), which estimates that the taxes account for 1.5 percent of all states' revenue.

In Michigan, for example, lawmakers last year raised the tax on cigarettes by 75 cents a pack; smokers now pay $2 in cigarette taxes on every pack they purchase in the Wolverine State.

Grover Norquist, who heads the anti-tax group Americans for Tax Reform (http://www.atr.org/), issued a statement decrying Michigan's efforts to collect taxes on cigarettes purchased online, saying state officials had resorted to "police state tactics to get their money."

"The big spenders in Michigan are so desperate for more money and more spending that they are willing to pry into their residents' online activity, harass them and threaten them, just to get their excessive pound of flesh from smokers," Norquist said.

However, the state governments learning the names of residents who had purchased smokes online argue that it isn't really analogous to officials identifying or cracking down on residents who make other types of online purchases.

According to the National Association of Attorneys General, virtually all Internet cigarette sales violate one or more state and federal laws. They include state age verification laws, state laws prohibiting the direct sale of cigarettes to consumers, federal mail fraud statutes and the federal RICO statute, designed to combat racketeering and organized crime.

Anti-tax groups say states are hoping for a one-time jump in revenue from cracking down on smokers who have escaped cigarette taxes by purchasing them online. Instead, states should be looking for ways to cut spending, they say.

But state revenue officials defend the payment campaign.

"We're in a state that's not raising taxes, and we're working our way out of a large deficit," said Geraldine Conrad, spokeswoman for the Illinois Department of Revenue (http://www.revenue.state.il.us/). "So any owed receipt is an important receipt to us."

Send your comments on this story to letters@stateline.org (letters@stateline.org). Selected reader feedback will be posted in the Letters to the editor section.

Contact Kathleen Hunter at khunter@stateline.org (khunter@stateline.org).

babygirl350
07-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks for sharing a very informative article. I did not realize this was as widespread of a problem that it appears to be. Guess it does just make better sense for those states that are bordering on other states where tobacco is cheaper just to drive across the line and make their purchases.

MamaSheila
07-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Here in California, I ususally pay around $42.00- $45.00 a carton, that is Marboro reds. Thanks.
Love, Sheila :p

natesgal
07-13-2005, 12:37 AM
I smoke Marlboro Lights and here in japan if I buy them on base they cost me 3.80 a pack, if i get them off base its about 2.80 or 3.00 a pack. I think I might just have to quit if i move to one of these states where they cost a arm and a leg.

Doc's Sis
07-13-2005, 04:17 AM
In Sprinfield Ohio they jumped the price of Cigarettes up $7 on the cartoon! Now it is hard enough fo rme to afford cigarettes for myself much less fo rmy friend in prison! I told him we woul dhave to start making a pack of cigarettes last us at least 3 days.!

My question to Kentucky is where are you located and how much is a carton of Winston Lights where you are at?

Why does the governors always want to put more taxes on us smokers? Pretty soon we will all quit and then that will also put many people out of work! Or doesn't the governemtn see that?
That's the idea! QUIT before it kills you. Is better to let the tobacco companies lose some money than to have thousands of people receiving expensive medical treatment from smoking! Meanwhile, the state can tax cigs as much as they want to. Cigs are NOT a necessity to your survival are they? I'm a smoker but also have health problems because of it. Emphasema (sp?) is no fun! I now pay the price for having started smoking 50 years ago.

FYI: Here in MO, I pay about $14 per carton. I don't think they sell cigs at Commissary (PCI) any more because they're trying to get all buildings to be no smoking buildings. If your guy can still have cigs, he can roll his own or you can get them online. As mentioned, just be careful of who you order them from.

bebopp7
10-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Here in Ohio the inmates are no longer allowed to smoke! SO it will be cheaper on those of us who were not only paying for our own cigarettes but also for an inmates.

I roll my own and I buy Red Cap pipe tobacco 16 ounces for $17 and get over a carton of cigarettes out of it. Taste close to Winstons