View Full Version : how much time did your loved one do on a 3rd or 4th DWI?

texascricket
07-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone-
Man I never thought I'd be back on here asking ??'s about TDCJ...last time it was for me, when I was about to go in....sooooooooooooo, I really know the answer to this myself, unfortunately. I did 10 mos on a 2 yr sentence for a 3rd DWI @ Plane State Jail....but I think they are a little harder on men.....right? My husband got his 3rd DWI the other night.....(what a pair we make huh?).....but he also has 1 in KS, so if they use that one....it'll be 4. Can yall give me some average time spent by men in TDCJ on a 3rd or more DWI. Yeah, I know all about the guy who had 8 and got a life sentence...that scares the hell out of me.
We just spent 15 months apart, he got home in Oct last year....(he was in KS...<he lived here with me @ the time of his KS DWI, but he was visiting his mom for Christmas>...I was in Plane State Jail in Dayton,TX). We did a marriage by proxy when I got out and our 1 year anniversary is July 26.... :cry: so we spent our wedding apart...now we'll spend our 1 year anniversary apart.... :cry: ...pathetic huh? I learned my lesson, just wish he would....DON'T DRINK & DRIVE!!!!
God I don't wanna do this again!
Well thanks for letting me vent & thanks for your input.

quinn
07-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Is he still on probation? I think, not for sure, but think the 3rd offense is considered a felony. Someone soon will be here with better info. Good luck.

texascricket
07-10-2005, 02:01 PM
No, he was on parole because KS did use the TX AND KS charges..., but discharged in Feb of this year....and yes it is a felony.....that's why I went to prison for my 3rd....thanks for writing.

a_coleman
07-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Im pretty sure how much time he will do, depends on how much time the judge gives him. Some judges are harder on DWI's than others. My husbands judge was really hard on "drug dealers" Im not sure what degree of felont that is (1st, 2nd, or 3rd), but each one carries its own time, and the judge can choose to give any amount of time within those limits. I think that a DWI is either a state jail felony, or a 3rd degree felony. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

TXHarleygirl
07-10-2005, 11:40 PM
My hubby was 8 months shy of finishing five (5) years of probation for his 3rd DWI (got them at 17, 19 & 22, he's 30 now) when he got a technical violation, so they sentenced him to five (5) years in prison. He spent 11 months in Huntsville, made parole, came home, and now in April, exactly 5 months after he got home, he drank for the first time and ended up going back on a parole violation. However, this time they only gave him 60-180 days in I.S.F. which is where he is now in Pampa, TX. So, go figure....honey, as you well know, any and all decisions made by TDCJ are based upon what kind of mood the jackasses happen to be in that day! Good luck, and I'm here if ya need anything!

jimbo's EX LADY
07-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Not really sure, but my mom's boyfriend is in for his 4th DWI, and the atty. is telling us 10 to life and he is 72, so once again it depends on what mood they are in. My ex father in law got his first DWI in 1972, 2nd in 1976, 3rd in 1982 and 4th in 1991 and they gave him 10 yrs. Good luck and I hope for the best!!!

Trulykath
07-11-2005, 09:36 AM
CRICKET!!! You are home!!! Long time no chat.....wish it was under different circumstances....

It's really going to depend on how many years between DWIs etc. Skip had several, but it had been a really long time since the last one, and we told the DA we wanted the minimum sentence (2 years) or we wanted to go to trial. In other words, we had leverage. Some don't. It will depend on the county as well. I've seen sentences ranging all over the page around here, and I've seen some do very little time to nearly the entire sentence. The thing with DWI is the board knows you are multiple offender by virtue of the fact you are in prison for it. They are very tough on DWI.

We will hope for the best....you keep us posted and let us know what you need!

kath

lionguy
07-11-2005, 12:44 PM
My Brother is in for his 3th DWI in the last 10 -15 years. He is in the Goodman Unit. He is down on a two year sentence for revolking his 10 year Travis county probation. He also has a dwi charge pending in Erath County 4th, the charge that revolked his probation(Stephenville). Does anyone know what he might be facing. He also has had past DWI's during the 70's.

Retired-26
07-11-2005, 12:49 PM
you have to be kidding :eek: i have 1 dwi...got it at 19. so if i have 2 more in the rest of my life span (just saying) ... i could be facing time!?

BobbysGirl2005
07-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I am not in Texas and I am not sure how the system works, but one of my friends recently got his third DUI and was waiting to turn himself in they were originally give him like 3 years but then they said he only had to serve 10% of his time. So we were expecting him ome in November, and to everyone's surprise about 2 weeks ago he just showed up. He wasn't reallt sure why they released him, but he isn't complaining. I hope that whatever happens, everything works out for the best. Good luck

ddavi
07-11-2005, 03:36 PM
It does depend on the county the offense was committed in on what penalty they go for. We got five years on 3 or more DWI felony conviction. They were trying for 10 and we worked them down to 5 so.

texascricket
07-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone-
HI Kath!!!!! Yeah, I'm back, and I DO OOO hate the circumstances. How are you? Send me a PM when you can!
Well, I forgot to mention he's in Williamson Co....like the toughtest county in the US! That's where the dude got LIFE for 8 DWI's and they've been cracking down on them ever since. Can anyone in this area reccomend a good lawyer....? I have talked on the phone to Paul Dunham of Dunham&Rogers....it sounds promising, but they all do at first. They are saying he should start AA and get on Antabuse the DAY he gets out, til he goes to court. Anyone had any positive outcomes from that? The antabuse is so expensive! Wow-TxHarleyGirl that is great about the ISF!!! So lucky! So that means no parole after he's out huh?....MAN, I hope we can get that lucky. Well, thanks everyone for responding ...I'll be in touch!

TXHarleygirl
07-12-2005, 06:35 PM
No, unfortunately when he gets released from ISF he will be put right back on parole to finish out his 5 years...about 3.5 left or close to 4 yrs. even, something like that. R U Kidding? The State of Texas doesn't make anything that easy on anybody!!! I wish and nice thought, but we'll have to deal with them for the next few years still.....aaarrrrggggghhhh!!!! :angry: :angry:

texascricket
07-12-2005, 07:13 PM
So sorry about that! That does suck...so it does kinda come out to doing about 18 months (worst scenario) on a 5yr sentence....kinda the same thing right? Well, I'm sorry I was confused. But ya know, and I'm sure you've heard it...it could've been a lot worse....I had people telling ME that about my sentence ALL the time...I didn't want to hear it...I just wanted out of there....
I hope he does closer to the 6 months than the 18!
Keep your chin up!

texascricket
07-12-2005, 07:18 PM
So sorry TxHarleyGirl, my brain is so fried from thinking about my mans charges these past couple days...I'm way out there....I knew when I responded you said 60-180 days...then I started thinking 6-18 months...what a ding dong...anyway I got it together now. I think....let me go eat dinner and feed my brain maybe. talk to ya later.
So sorry about that! That does suck...so it does kinda come out to doing about 18 months (worst scenario) on a 5yr sentence....kinda the same thing right? Well, I'm sorry I was confused. But ya know, and I'm sure you've heard it...it could've been a lot worse....I had people telling ME that about my sentence ALL the time...I didn't want to hear it...I just wanted out of there....
I hope he does closer to the 6 months than the 18!
Keep your chin up!

TXHarleygirl
07-12-2005, 09:28 PM
I would definitely not say you are an idiot girl! Heck with all the numbers I was throwin out there, who wouldn't get confused? I like to call it positive thinking!

:)

Valerie
07-12-2005, 09:54 PM
On a 3rd DUI, because of a prior accident 17yrs. earlier they filled felony charges and gave him 16mo's.

pacesetter
08-28-2005, 04:26 PM
My boyfriend is in the Williamson Couty Jail charged with 2 POCS,(Poss of Cont Sub) pg.1 and pg.3, open cont and no seatbelt. He has been to prison bf for a 3 DWI and just got off parole in June. His judge is Judge Carnes. I am really freakin out. We want to hire a lawyer and have talked to Mark Morales and a few others. He is only 30 years old. Any Lawyer references?? In case he has to do a lot of time, we want to bail him out but his bond is $40000. His parents arent helping at all and I have about $2000 in the bank. I don't know if I should hustle to get his bond, or put my attention toward getting a lawyer. It will be a while bf his court date bc I heard the judge has a trial going on, and it will be a while. Any similar situations here in the Austin area??

deneen
09-04-2005, 09:49 PM
My boyfrien got two years in prison on his third dwi

Chloe's Mom
09-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Mine's been in 16 months of a 3 year sentence for his fourth-they denied parole first go around, and took his short way in August- he'll come up again in April of 06. They are TOUGH on DWI offenders in this state.

lionguy
10-14-2005, 09:41 AM
My brother is being indicted on his 4th dwi and is allready incarserated for his third dwi. They will be transfuring him to Erath county jail. The da told my sister in law that they were charging him with his 4th dwi in a 10 year span. He was driving a pickup that didn't have his breathalizer device in it. The are charging him with a second degree felony enhanced and are after a 2-20 year sentence:mad: . He is already in a two year sentence. Can anyone tell me what his chances are of getting minium time on this charge?? Thanks

Been There 2
10-18-2005, 11:16 PM
My brother is being indicted on his 4th dwi and is allready incarserated for his third dwi. They will be transfuring him to Erath county jail. The da told my sister in law that they were charging him with his 4th dwi in a 10 year span. He was driving a pickup that didn't have his breathalizer device in it. The are charging him with a second degree felony enhanced and are after a 2-20 year sentence:mad: . He is already in a two year sentence. Can anyone tell me what his chances are of getting minium time on this charge?? Thanks
Personally, I hope he has a minimum chance of minimum time. What does it take to convince him to not get behind the wheel when drinking? It doesn't seem like leinency has helped him very much.

DalesDeb
10-18-2005, 11:24 PM
WOW.... I guess my friend in Michigan got lucky. Her lawyer got her a deal on her 3rd DUI. 60 days with work release!! I hate to even tell you all that after reading people getting 2 years!!! and that was a court appointed lawyer!! Go figure..and she had 3 within 2 years!!!

kgc0213
11-09-2005, 03:28 PM
My husband got 3 yrs. probation for his 3rd DWI. This was his 3rd one in 5 years. He did good for about 7 months but then started drinking and driving again and smoking :hee: . I did not want to risk him getting a 4th DWI or even wrse killing himself or someone else in an accident he caused from driving drunk. He was taking AZO tabs to pass his UA. One night when he had gotten so drunk he passed out I swaped out the AZOs with pills that looked somewhat like them (generic motrin). He ended up testing positive for :hee: and violated his probation. He is now in the SAFP program for 6 months. I sacrificed alot by doing this because I was pregnant and knew he would miss the birth of our child and the first year of his life, and I was also attending nursing school full time with three children. Income is an issue but it is worth any sacrifices I have to make to make sure he does not kill anyone because of his addiction. I just hope and pray that the program works for him and he learns to deal with his addiction.

lostnconfused
11-09-2005, 04:41 PM
:confused: ok i am new to thw whole attorney...drug...whatever you wanna call it thing...I was told last Friday that I had a warrant for me (now this warrant has been there for a year and a 1/2 and im just now hearing of it)...i called to see if the warrant was really there cause i was shocked beyond anything...they said yes...well they proceeded to tell me because i had distributed narcotics(which i have no recoliction of doing)...and i told him no i didnt and he said yes you did...and that they had an informant listening in the car...now here i am dont drink or anything..(yes i have been on pain meds for migraines)..and im thinking God what has happened...(and how)...well...i ask the officer if he would tell my husband just what hed told me and he said yes,,,,and he did ...well my husband told him there was no way i did that and he said i know she did because i was there,,,well my husband ask what we should do and he said turn my self in and "tell them who i knew"..this is crazy cause im sitting there panicing cause I DONT KNOW ANYONE thats does drugs....then my husband ask him how long we had to take care of this and he told my husband "no hurry"..and im like:eek: no hurry?? I am freaking and theres no hurry.,..anyways...I contacted a lawyer this week and he said he had to make sure he could take the case because he is also a prosecutor for the county or city this was supposed to happened in....i am wondering what someone might think i will be faced with....? i have never been in any kind of trouble ..nothing...and i am terribly worried...also i was wondering would it be wise to use this attorney if he can take the case knowing that he is a prosecutor of some sort....sorry yall this is just new to me and i am about to worry myself into a frizzy.....all help and answers would be appreciated...thank you and God Bless All!!

Been There 2
11-09-2005, 06:27 PM
He was taking AZO tabs to pass his UA. One night when he had gotten so drunk he passed out I swaped out the AZOs with pills that looked somewhat like them (generic motrin). He ended up testing positive for :hee: and violated his probation.
I applaud your sacrifice to forego his presence at the birth of your child! Of course it also means that he won't be in a coffin when it happens. Or that some family of five won't be dead as a result of his bad decisions.

;)

Bronc05
11-09-2005, 08:09 PM
It usually depends on how much the lawyer charged!!!!!!!

jojacks
11-09-2005, 09:49 PM
To lionguy- Has your brother already been sent to Erath County Jail? My grandson was just transferred from there. I lived in Stephenville for 20 years and moved from that sorry town 6 months ago. Is the DA there on his case? If so, GOOD LUCK!!!!

reesesweetie
11-10-2005, 02:04 PM
my baby got sentence to 6 years for a 3rd dwi.

Been There 2
11-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I have very little sympathy for anyone who has had 3 or 4 DWI's. And they are certainly not a baby at that point!

Texas led the nation in alcohol-related deaths in 2002 with 1,745. That was 47% of the traffic fatalities in the state. The national average was 41%. (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration 2003). That works out to over one a day, every day of the year!

slapstick
12-22-2005, 06:26 AM
I got 1 in may of 1999, and got 1 year probation. I then got another in October of 1999 and my probation was revolked, I had to do 60 days. Well in Dec of 2002 I got a third, My attorney got it reduced to a misdeamenor and I got 180 days. September of 2005 I just got my fourth, I went to court today and got, 6 years probation, I have to go to a 3-6 month residential treatment program located inside the jail. These are just my experiences, There are so many factors that its hard to say.
The fourth one was a financial bitch. I totaled a very nice z28 that was paid for, my lawyer was $10,000. I Started taking antibuse and went to rehab to show the courts I was trying to do something about my drinking. Since my Health insurance did not cover the rehab, I had to pay $6000 to go there. I guess its safe to say this was all worth going out drinking and "having fun". I cant go on like this, alcohol wins. I am actually attending A.A. by choice now.

mannekimj
01-09-2006, 05:52 PM
My husband took a plea for 4 years on a felony DWI and we've felt lucky - we've heard of people getting up to 10. He has now done 3 years of the sentence, has one more chance to come up for parole, but may turn it down even if he gets it - he would have 8 months of parole - what a hassle.

Melanie

rehpotsirhc
01-20-2006, 01:08 PM
my brother did 13 months on a 3 yr sentence and on a fourth dwi he had no other charges and plenty of support w/a court appointed attorney.. now my son's father did 17 months on a 3 yr sentence on a fourth or fifth dwi, no sure it was one or the other and some support w/ a court appointed attornery.. hope this helps... Oh it was in travis county court !

scarlettmom7872
01-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Yes, a third and up is a felony. My hubby just took a plea of 3 years for his 4th. A 4th offense is a class B felony. The only reason that he got such a light one was because the cop made such horrendous blunders on the video, however, obviously not bad enough to get them to drop it (and this is in the county that gave the guy life).
However, the attorney told him that he would be out in about 10-11 months...after talking to other folks and reading on here, I am now beginning to feel like we were sold a pipe dream...from what I am hearing you can plan on at least half the sentence.

Hope this helps ya!

scarlettmom7872
01-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Let me add that a lot depends on the county that you are in. Travis County is like 100000000 times more forgiving than some of these Texas counties. I know for a fact that Williamson County is a nightmare, as I have heard that Collin and Tarrant counties are as well. Just depends on what county I think.
Just to give you an example, my hubby used a public defender, and took a plea of 8 years suspended to 4 on probation with time served for the 3 months in county while awaiting trial.--this was Travis County.
Williamson County on his 4th, did a pre-indictment offer. That is only why we got 3 years. Neither the atrtny or the DA's office had to do ANY work at all, just a slam dunk in the name of justice on this one.
We were just too scared to roll the dice on taking it to trial---bad stop and all--cause the ppl that sit on those juries are very proud of Williamson County and their 98% conviction rate and their "frontier justice" as it was described on the TV show 20/20.

And we were repeatedly told that he would go for 10-15 if were not careful.

scarlettmom7872
01-30-2006, 03:03 PM
***Pacesetter I just sent you a long IM, but for the rest of you, if anyone wants any info on DWI attorney's in Travis and Williamson, I have a list of them that I interviewed, etc. and will be glad to share.
Also, my cousin has worked for the judges in Wilco for 17 years now and she can tell me who is respected and worth the money and who is not so good.

As for Judge Carnes, just to let you know, not only is he a real nasty man in the court room he is so hard core that he sent his own son to TDC, where when they found out who he was, they fatally stabbed him......he went up on drug charges. I think that he was also the judge that presided over the case where the man was sent up for life.

scarlettmom7872
01-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I absolutely agree that DWI is a terrible problem. However, I thought that I read that we are not to judge, or bash anyone in here. Sure sounds judgemental to me.

scarlettmom7872
01-31-2006, 01:34 PM
My hubby just went in on a 4th DWI in Williamson County. I have some names of some good attrny's if you would like to p.m. me.....I interviewed LOTS of attorneys, anywhere from 12k on down. I also have a cousin that has worked in for the judges in Wilco as a court reporter for 17 years....she hears and sees a lot....she knows what really goes on and who can pull in the favors if that makes any sense.

My hubby took a 3 year sentence, our attrny got that to satisfy his Wilco DWI and the Travis county one that he was already on probation for (they revoked probation).

Hope this helps!! Anything I can do to help, anything that I have learned that might help someone else I will gladly give.....

texascricket
02-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi all-My husband is up for his 3rd, and will go before Judge Carnes (great). Scarlettmom our judge is Jamie Balagia-what do you know about him-he thinks he can get him 5 years probation if we take a plea...and I agree about the judgements and bashing-this is NOT the place!

scarlettmom7872
02-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Your judge is Carnes and your attrny is Beluga??? I know someone that used him a while back on a revocation of parole and he did a good job. Well, he kept him from going back to prison-so that is pretty good.
Carnes usually goes along with the rec of the DA, unless you are going to trial. My hubby just did his formal sentencing today and I saw ppl getting probation that you would never beleive--so it just depends.
I will tell you the only reason we took the plea, and didn't fight this DWI was that he was screwed going from the shoot, cause he was still on probation in Travis. Either way, he was doing time!!
We had some leverage in the plea, cause there were so many obvious blunders in the stop. That is how we got 3 years.
I wouldn't worry, I am sure that Jamie will do a good job for you.
The only problem is, that it is an election year, and DWI is so darn political!!!
You can always PM me, if I can be of any assitance.

BrandNewGirl
02-14-2006, 05:31 PM
I talked to Jamie about my husband's revocation, and he was great, called me back personally, but I couldn't come up with the money.
I feel for you guys, dealing with Wilco now. We were done in by them, and Carnes originally was our judge, but it was switched to a different one..anyone wants to know who, PM me. Let's just say, this one took the entire word of the DA also. I've got quite a story.

Nance

StopTheDWIWitch
04-02-2006, 10:43 PM
I have very little sympathy for anyone who has had 3 or 4 DWI's. And they are certainly not a baby at that point!

Texas led the nation in alcohol-related deaths in 2002 with 1,745. That was 47% of the traffic fatalities in the state. The national average was 41%. (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration 2003). That works out to over one a day, every day of the year!

If you believe everything you hear, you could be in some trouble. These numbers that you throw around from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration are not true. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has been lying to the American public since MADD started lying to the nation back in the late 70’s. If anyone can prove these numbers are correct they get a nice check for $20,000.00. Why is the National Motorists Association, GetMADD.com and RIDL offering this money? Because the numbers are all false. Most believe these lies because they have not been informed of the truth. The real truth is you have a better chance of being struck by lighting than that of being killed by a drunk driver. I could go on and on but I hope you get the idea. Stop sending people to prison for something they might do.

Been There 2
04-03-2006, 12:37 AM
If you believe everything you hear, you could be in some trouble. These numbers that you throw around from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration are not true. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has been lying to the American public since MADD started lying to the nation back in the late 70’s. If anyone can prove these numbers are correct they get a nice check for $20,000.00. Why is the National Motorists Association, GetMADD.com and RIDL offering this money? Because the numbers are all false. Most believe these lies because they have not been informed of the truth. The real truth is you have a better chance of being struck by lighting than that of being killed by a drunk driver. I could go on and on but I hope you get the idea. Stop sending people to prison for something they might do.

A. What would be their motivation to lie?
B. I didn't see what you are saying when I was an EMT, responding to accidents on IH 45. We had a lot more fatalities than lightning strikes.
C. Who sponsors your group, the liquor lobby or the mortuaries?

Just curious.

Sunshine Girl
04-03-2006, 11:27 AM
my boyfriend was convicted in nueces county on a fourth d.w.i. charge in august.. his priors are spaced pretty evenly apart...7-9 years apart.. starting when he was 18. he received a 3 year sentence. we are starting the 9 th month..he was eligible for parole as of december of this year..and believe it or not was granted parole!!! i had heard that the board isnt very kind to repeat offenders; but they were this time...he will be released in june sometime...thank god!!! and i agree....DONT DRINK AND DRIVE...IT IS NOT WORTH IT........

justfornow
04-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I think that there is always someone who can point the finger at each of our loved ones and say "they shouldn't have done that" and that is certainly true, but the problem is that people often don't make the right choices or are under the influence of substances that alter their perceptions of what is best, or what is right and wrong. A lot of times the individuals around them could have prevented what happened or made a difference in the outcome...but they didn't. Let's all agree that regardless of the number of fatalities resulting from dwi drivers one fatality that could have been prevented is too many. Let's stop equating drinking with having a good time...stop letting our friends drive drunk...stop thinking that putting a person in prison without treatment will cure the problem or letting them off thinking that a slap on the wrist will keep them from dui again. Get these people into treatment early before they can unwitingly hurt someone.

Been There 2
04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
the problem is that people often don't make the right choices or are under the influence of substances that alter their perceptions of what is best, or what is right and wrong. A lot of times the individuals around them could have prevented what happened or made a difference in the outcome...but they didn't. Let's all agree that regardless of the number of fatalities resulting from dwi drivers one fatality that could have been prevented is too many. Let's stop equating drinking with having a good time...stop letting our friends drive drunk...stop thinking that putting a person in prison without treatment will cure the problem or letting them off thinking that a slap on the wrist will keep them from dui again. Get these people into treatment early before they can unwitingly hurt someone.
Here, here! I couldn't agree more! Whether they kill someone else or themselves, it's a tragic waste. We need to convince the lawyers, judges, legislators, governors that we no longer have cocktail parties for every occasion, 3 martini lunches, and no laws that might catch them in the spotlight of inebriation.

riggers23
04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
whatever, prohibition was thrown out long ago. And a few beers does not DRUNKEN make. MADD keeps acting as if they hand down stiffer punishments and lower the BAC and continue to send drinkers to jail it will stop the deaths of innocents. when in reality it has done NTOHING to curb fatalities in drunken driving accidents. And however many times you say it happens more than a person is struck by lightening doesn't make it TRUE. The NHTSA or I might have that one letter off, adds DRUGGED drivers, pedestrians that were drunk or drugged, and NONdrunk drivers who may have had medication or just 1 drink to their skewed statistics. Not to mention the fact that in 67% of these cases it was the DRUNK driver who died. Not some innocent victim. They skew these facst b/c MADD has their claws in them and w/o MADD donations they will have to cut federal funding. Well, for those of you that are tired of the MADDness, we can always continue to offer donations for OUR cause to put a stop to their neo-prohibition views!!! Drinking is LEGAL, and until they make it illegal they need to quit harrassing every citizen that takes a drink.

riggers23
04-04-2006, 05:19 PM
MADD is so one-sided in their views that could care less if what they do helps curb drinking and driving accidents. These are people that are hurting b/c they have lost a loved one!!! So they want revenge, and they don't really care what form that revenge comes in. And I forgot to say this. The ACTUAL drunk driving deaths across ALL OF AMERICA, was average of 250 persons each year for the last 10 years.........AND 67% of those deaths WERE the drunken drivers. We have much bigger issues than 83 deaths across all of america. Why dont' these people go fight HIV or something that really needs their help.

Been There 2
04-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Texas is the state with the second most drunk driving deaths of any state, having been edged out of first place by California. The drunk driving statistics have shown improvement however. In 1982, the highest number of alcohol related deaths were reported, when 2,801 of our fellow citizens died. The lowest number were reported in 1999, with 1,700. The percentage of traffic fatalities that were alcohol related was highest in 1982 also, with 66%. That percentage dropped to its lowest level in 2004, showing 46% of traffic fatalities as alcohol related.
For the most recent year reported, out of all traffic fatalities, 40% involved a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 or higher, down from 61% in 1982.
Year
Fatalities
Tot
Alc-Rel
%
0.08+
%
The table above shows the total number of traffic fatalities (Tot) for the Texas, alcohol related fatalities (Alc-Rel) and fatalities in crashes where the highest BAC in the crash was 0.08 or above (0.08+).

SHERRON
04-22-2006, 07:30 PM

Texas led the nation in alcohol-related deaths in 2002 with 1,745. That was 47% of the traffic fatalities in the state. The national average was 41%. (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration 2003). That works out to over one a day, every day of the year!you shouldn't be judging theses folks............there is only one and only one that does that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been There 2
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
you shouldn't be judging theses folks............there is only one and only one that does that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, dear, but if my wife and children are out driving on the roads of Texas, I sure don't want one of these "babies" to meet them on the highway after 4 drinks.
I guess I'm just funny that way.

CenTexLyn
04-30-2006, 07:42 AM
you shouldn't be judging theses folks............there is only one and only one that does that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me you are not recommending that the public not have an opinion on alcohol-related conduct but still retain the ability to express outrage at other conduct???!!???

There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to get behind the wheel if they are going to be in a position to be classified as intoxicated under the law. Even at the misdemeanor level, the costs of a cab are far less than the attorney fees, the insurance increases, the probation fees that will ultimately be paid and oh yeah, the annual surcharge to be paid to DPS that increases with each additional conviction.

The sentences to prison don't come into play until at least the third "lapse of judgement" (as some seem to refer to DWI as), which means the system has built in opportunities on that conduct for people to get the stupidity out of their system.

The catch-22 is that the courts really don't want to send people to prison for lengthy sentences on DWI, which in turn means that the Board has very few options when they vote these cases. I've seen lots of 2 and 3 year sentences for DWI, and by the time they hit TDCJ, they already have three months or so of calendar time credit. Factor in the four or five months to process the file and get it to the Board and there is no time for an FI-R program to be completed, which means the next obvious vote is the ServeAll and they will then review the case a few months later for the discretionary mandatory supervision. The circle continues since too many are still in denial about having a problem and they wind up back in trouble within the year and also have the enhancement paragraph...and if they are in WilCo or some of the north Texas counties, also a deadly weapon enhancement with the vehicle being the deadly weapon.

SHERRON
04-30-2006, 06:08 PM
you know i am so very sorry i ever responded to this thread!!! i only meant GOD has the right to judge.....so once again sorry i even responded

crzyrussell
04-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Every year, 708,000 persons are injured in alcohol related crashes; 74, 000 of those people suffer serious injuries.
About 2,000 people are hurt each day in alcohol related accidents.
Two million alcohol impaired driving collisions occur each year. Yes we do have the right to to be "judgmental" just as you have the right to be judgmental about other things. It may be unpleasant, but but there must be consequences for driving under the influence which, by the way, also legally includes both prescription and illicit drugs.

jacy1240
05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Hey everyone-
Man I never thought I'd be back on here asking ??'s about TDCJ...last time it was for me, when I was about to go in....sooooooooooooo, I really know the answer to this myself, unfortunately. I did 10 mos on a 2 yr sentence for a 3rd DWI @ Plane State Jail....but I think they are a little harder on men.....right? My husband got his 3rd DWI the other night.....(what a pair we make huh?).....but he also has 1 in KS, so if they use that one....it'll be 4. Can yall give me some average time spent by men in TDCJ on a 3rd or more DWI. Yeah, I know all about the guy who had 8 and got a life sentence...that scares the hell out of me.
We just spent 15 months apart, he got home in Oct last year....(he was in KS...<he lived here with me @ the time of his KS DWI, but he was visiting his mom for Christmas>...I was in Plane State Jail in Dayton,TX). We did a marriage by proxy when I got out and our 1 year anniversary is July 26.... :cry: so we spent our wedding apart...now we'll spend our 1 year anniversary apart.... :cry: ...pathetic huh? I learned my lesson, just wish he would....DON'T DRINK & DRIVE!!!!
God I don't wanna do this again!
Well thanks for letting me vent & thanks for your input.
well i never thought i would be in this position either but here am i - im just in this new relationship 5 months now and my boyfriend go 3yrs on a 3rd dwi - this is so upsetting to me, don't know if i should be mad at him or what. he was on his way to see me and i asked him not to because i could tell on the phone he had been drinking but hard headed as men are he attempted to get here anyway and well u know the rest. how do you do the waiting thing, him not holding, kissing, seeing etc.... you. this has got to be one of the hardest things in life to deal with.

cowgirl1962
05-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Well I am going to tell you what my husband got on his 4th DWI, 15 years. March 2011 he will have done 4 years of the 15 year sentence. He has been denied parole twice and comes up again sometime around Oct 2010 for the third time. He has just been released, for 54 days after serving 19 months on a 5 year sentence from TDC (his third DWI) when he got his 4th one which got him 15 years. They enhanced the sentence because it had been less than 5 years which gave him an extra 5 years onto the 2-10 years for a third degree felony. I hope I remember all this correctly so if I am telling you something out of the ordinary please forgive me because it's been some time and I really want to forget.

hyrpwrd91
06-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Hello
My daughter was just sentenced to 16 years with possible parole at 8 yrs. for intoxicated manslaughter (a young man was killed) and intoxicated assault (the other young man was maimed) The judge could have stacked the sentences which would have meant 26 yrs.
The sentencing was in Fort Worth. She has no priors, never been in any trouble, no DWI's nothing.
She was ready to pay the price for her actions.
I will never forget any of this process....ever. I didn't think I was depressed, but I am falling apart for many reasons. I came home from the trial, asked my lazy husband to leave, lost my job at a church were I directed a program for the homeless, and will be having a neck fusion soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Help!!
I need prayer. I just want to run...right to Plane State Jail and hug (if I can do that) my baby girl..my only child.
Peace and Grace
Mary