View Full Version : Classification Process

emmjay
07-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I have a question regarding the classification process. My understanding is the inmate appears before the class board, which is usually 3 people, gets classed to a particular security level (they recommend he either remains where he is for another 6 months or change it up or down); this then goes to the superintendent of the facility for approval - and he has the discretion to change it; it then goes on to the central office for final approval. If the inmate disagrees with the classification, he can appeal, but I'm told appeals are worthless. Has anyone had any experience with calling either the superintendent or the doc, or had their lawyer make the calls, if there is disagreement about the decision? They seem to have more power than the class board anyway in terms of changing the class board's decision.

walkintall
05-30-2007, 07:04 AM
hey... haven't been here for a few. i'll try to answer your question. there really is no rhyme or reason to what they do. they are supposed to take into account the location of the inmates familly, security risk, ect. i'm from the cape and as long as i was in stayed pretty much in SE ma. walpole, norfolk, secc and occc. a lawyer will do no good. boston makes the final descision but they "usually" follow the institutions decisions unless there is information not reviewed like enemy issue's. for instance, i was classified to returned to norfolk and was modified by boston. someone had claimed me as an enemy. i got modified to secc. hope this helps some.

shiva65
05-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey walkintal.. nice to see you and i think you summed it up.. very well

emmjay, my experience.. well you allready know.. we were toyed with for about 2 years..!ya .. and i am saying toyed when i would call it something else.. really yu get my drift.. i blame feel it's totally in boston 's hands.. sure you can have a super/deputy super vouch for the inmate.. etc. (they may want them out of the institution) . if the inmate is not liked or known by anyone in boston.. well, they are in do do.. I am grateful we are out of it,, my suggestion is for anyone you are concerned with ... to keep trying ! appeal, appeal, and try calling the classification yourself and ask questions!!! GOOD LUCK AND dont give up... just hold on

emmjay
05-30-2007, 07:25 PM
hello to all, and thanks for the responses, but do you realize my initial post was from two years ago?!! Donna, are you doing some "spring cleaning" here with all the moving of the old posts, or just trying to get different information back on the board? :confused:

shiva65
06-01-2007, 04:04 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah wow.. okay lmao was it.. dam hello yes i have been cleaning and i better wake up and smell more coffee:)))

sorry emmjay..

emmjay
06-02-2007, 07:02 AM
that's ok; it's always a good thing to get solid information back on the board!

madmaryb
12-18-2007, 04:36 AM
could someone tell me who it is exactly that i should contact for mci shirley med classification board.Is there a phone # or an address? Thanx, mary

SunnyChick
12-18-2007, 05:01 PM
In my experience, a class board is made up of three people -- usually the inmate's caseworker, another caseworker, and a guard from his housing unit. I don't think they accept any input from "outsiders," but I guess you could call your loved one's caseworker if you have questions or concerns regarding the classification. Keep in mind that this board's decision isn't always the final word. It goes to someone higher up for a stamp of approval. I hope this helps.

skellerton
12-31-2007, 07:31 PM
There is a director of classifiication at every prison, but this usually doesn't mean much.