View Full Version : Sending books or supplies to Texas inmates

kensgirlval
07-04-2005, 09:41 AM
My boyfriend is doing time in a Texas facility. Does anybody know how you can go about sending them reading books or writing materials?

Mike1963
07-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey

My partner is also incarcerated here in texas.So i feel ya.To send them books or anything you must go to a retail outlet that is certified to send them such matrials.I go to Barnes and Knobles to send him books.And Sav-on office supplies to send him writing materials. I hope this helps you.

Mike

BrandNewGirl
07-04-2005, 10:32 AM
You can also order books through Amazon.com, which has Amazon Marketplace where they sell used books cheaper than new. Since Half-Price Books quit shipping to prisons, it was getting expensive. You can also order envlopes and writing pads from Office Depot. There is a special number you can call for Prison Orders..it is 1-888-819-7272. They ship out of Southlake, so if your loved ones unit is south, it gets there then next day.
By the way, if you need to send money, the fastest way to do it with a credit card is through JPay.com
Everytime I've sent money using that, it gets on his books the next day. Ace takes up to 72 hours and Western Union is a bit more expensive.

Good luck,
Nance

TXHarleygirl
07-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately you can not send him anything but cards, letters, small pictures, etc. Books and reading materials have to come directly from the "publisher". Basically, I go to Amazon.com and get my hubby's books, magazine subscriptions, etc. from there, and he has always received them, just make sure and put his address and TDCJ # as the "ship-to" address. I used to go to Half Price Books and they would send them from the store for an extra fee, but I heard that they are not doing this anymore, so I'm not sure. For pens and paper, etc. I know Office Depot used to have a department for inmate stuff, but I'm not sure if they still do or not, for that stuff I just put money on his books so he could buy it himself at commissary. Best way I found to send money, Ace Cash Express, all they need is his TDCJ # and unit name, and it's there the next business day. Good Luck!

kensgirlval
07-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Thank you everybody for all of your replies, this is really helpful b/c I just had no idea.

Goose Bumps
07-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Have your BF send you "money slips" and you can then get money orders and follow the intructions that are on the "money slips" about how to address them and the money orders. It's much cheaper than sending money with a credit card and ACE pay or any other method. It's not cheap to send it with a credit card. For instance I went through Western Union with a VISA card and the fee was something like $16 I sent $80 and it cost me $96, with a money order and sending it through the mail it takes about three days from Michigan to get on the books, so if you know he needs it send it three days early and save yourself a LOT of money in just costs alone! I always get slammed for saying what I have just said, but most people don't have money to throw away on fees that are totally unnecessary especially knowing that all you have to do is plan ahead a little bit and you save tons of extra cash. That extra cash can go to your BF intead of some large company getting rich off the backs of people like us, it's crazy to send money and have to pay those super high fees. It's purely profit for them and too much for us to be forced to pay. I pay $1.27 to send my wife $100 every other week. Then when she has about $200-$300 extra in her account I don't have to send her anything for a month. Don't let others take your hard earned money from you just because you think it HAS to be there in one day, plan ahead and save money!!!! Ok, I'm ready for my spanking now. :)

BrandNewGirl
07-04-2005, 02:03 PM
No spankings here Goose..if that's what works for you, that's great. I just found that TDCJ never got in a hurry to put the money on his books. I usually send it JPay on payday morning from home, and it costs me $4.95 to send him $50--so $54.95 works for me. It may not be the best for everyone, so it's great that you gave another option to doing it.

Nance

TXHarleygirl
07-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Ditto - no spanking here, but WOW! I don't know what Ace you used, but I've used one in Irving, TX and one in Carrollton, TX about a hundred times, and never once have I paid any different than the everyday $3.00 fee, no matter what amount I sent! Geez, you're right about one thing, $16 is a joke!

My problem with the US mail, well, I take that back, my problem when I used to mail money orders, our good old State of Texas would either

A) Take a month to put it on his books
or
B) He'd never get it at all in which case, the State of Texas did endorse the money order, because you could track it that way, but then what? R U gonna go up against them and say "U cashed it but he never got it?" Well, guess what, U lose! And believe me, I lost! Once, but never, ever, ever again! I wonder how many pants pockets I lined on that day???

Anyway, I do Ace because of my busy schedule too, I forget to easily to stop, buy a money order, go to the Post Office for stamps, put it out in the mail, etc., etc., etc. so with Ace, I can track it, prove it, get it back if he doesn't get it, and it is there within 24 hours (1 BUSINESS day) GUARANTEED and even the receipt HAS HIS NAME AND TDCJ # ON IT, no "losing" that one!

Anyway, like she said, whatever works for you is what works best, those are just the reasons I like to use ACE!:D

Hillman
07-05-2005, 12:03 AM
You can order glue-bound note books & envelopes thru Office Depot's website. They give you problems if you try to do it at a store location, so your best bet is to do it on-line.

BrandNewGirl
07-05-2005, 06:01 AM
When I did Ace here, they said 48-72 hours to get it on his books. JPay is $1.95 more and if you do it in the morning, it's there that same day. It works for me, because I don't get a whole lunch hour at times and there's no Ace near my work. I can just sit down at the computer and have it done in about 2 minutes.
The 1-800 number at Office Depot also is good, because some units won't accept things that others might and they have a list of what's approved. That way I know I'm getting the correct thing for him, and it ships the same day if I call in the morning.

You've got lots of info to work with now!

Nance

jessnkat
07-05-2005, 07:54 AM
If you send $20 or less through JPay.com it is only a $1.95 fee. Until I discovered this, I was with Goose (sorry to change sides on you, Goose!). But the max I send is $20 and it would cost me nearly $1.95 for the money order, stamp, and gas to and from the post office - which doesn't have hours that are convenient for me anyway! I'm all about the cheapest way and this is not only nearly as cheap, but soooo much easier and faster!

TXHarleygirl
07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Never heard of this JPay, but w/as much time as I spend on-line, it sounds like an even better way to go than having to use my lunch hour to go to Ace. What is it and how do I do it? Any info would be much appreciated!:D

BrandNewGirl
07-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Go to www.jpay.com and it will walk you through the whole process. It's very simple and secure. It's all I've used the last year. Never had a bit of problems!

Nance

jftazzy102
07-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey I love Jpay.com. I also use it and I have never had a problem with it. I would rather have to pay 4.95 when I send him 50.00 and know that it is going to be right there actually the next business day.

When I order books I order them through Amazon.com. I love it. He always get the books in just in about 4 days.

I also use office depot to order his stationery...etc....

TXHarleygirl
07-06-2005, 08:09 PM
And I thought Ace Cash Express was the way to go, thanks ladies, I'm officially a "JPay"er!

JnJ4ever
07-07-2005, 05:29 AM
paperandstuff.net is a great place for sending envelopes and paper. I believe they were started by an ex con that knows the ins and outs of the prison issues. JPay is the way I go for money. It always gets there the next day. As for books, Barnes and Nobles has always worked well for me.

Houston5304
07-13-2005, 09:43 PM
My guy in also in Texas. I knew about books but didn't know we could send office supplies. Is this TDCJ \ BOP or both?

That would be great.

Hey

My partner is also incarcerated here in texas.So i feel ya.To send them books or anything you must go to a retail outlet that is certified to send them such matrials.I go to Barnes and Knobles to send him books.And Sav-on office supplies to send him writing materials. I hope this helps you.

Mike

bwalls
07-13-2005, 09:56 PM
You do want to be careful sending office supplies from Office Depot. If you order pads of paper the smallest amount they send is 12 pads. Also be careful how many envelopes you send because they have to put their name and TDC number on every envelope before they leave the mail room. If they can't get it done they don't get the envelopes. I just sent my son 100 envelopes.

BlakesMom
07-14-2005, 12:55 AM
I also use JPay...it is so easy. I get my disibilty check on the second wed, so I send $100 then and it only costs 4.95. It is on his books the next day. You can either use crecit card or checking account. I sent books from Barnes and Nobles online, they often have great sales. Sent envelopes and paper from office depot, but they made him set down and put his name and number of every envelope. so next time I will have it printed on them. He gets so many letters from church friends that he used a lot of envelpes.

Kitty872
07-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey everybody...I have a question about the books. I went to a christian book store and sent my hubby a book that way...I was told it could only be a soft cover. Does that apply at amazon.com too?

tommybear
07-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I also use JPay...it is so easy. I get my disibilty check on the second wed, so I send $100 then and it only costs 4.95. It is on his books the next day. You can either use crecit card or checking account. I sent books from Barnes and Nobles online, they often have great sales. Sent envelopes and paper from office depot, but they made him set down and put his name and number of every envelope. so next time I will have it printed on them. He gets so many letters from church friends that he used a lot of envelpes.

You can not send paper nor envelopes with letterhead, names or addresses preprinted on them!

From TDCJ Website:
Newspapers, magazines, and books may be mailed directly to offenders only by the publisher, publication supplier or bookstore; subject to review and rejection in accordance with the correspondence rules. Stationery (defined as paper, unstamped envelopes, carbon paper, but excluding paper or envelopes with names, addresses or letterhead) may be mailed to offenders only from legitimate vendors or suppliers of stationery. Items such as food, clothing, jewelry, and toiletries may not be mailed to offenders. Individuals may not mail packages to offenders.

Silva
07-27-2005, 02:00 AM
kitty - Mo told me they can have paperbacks AND hardbacks, but I think I would try and get them paperbacks whenever possible, simply because if Ray ever wants to send them on to me they will be lighter to mail.

tommybear
07-27-2005, 08:47 AM
One thing to think about when sending books.....inmates have very limited storage space in their box, and paperbacks take up much less space than hardback books.

barkingside
07-27-2005, 12:02 PM
I am definitely going to check out this jpay! I wanted to put money in my friend's account without him knowing and the only way I could figure out how to do that was to write a letter requesting deposit slips. Now jpay.com sounds like I can do this and not have to wait forever to get the slips and mail it back!

FYI: When I called the Ferguson Unit they told me that to prevent books from being returned to the vendor I should call the mail room and make sure the book title and author is approved at the prison. This is something I never even thought of doing but will start now. I don't want my friend not to get my order because one of my choices wasn't an approved book.

Ps. Are there any policies on what type and how much stationery can be sent? TIA

tommybear
07-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Ps. Are there any policies on what type and how much stationery can be sent? TIA

One of the best things to do is call the restricted prodiucts department at Office Depot and they can tell you what can and can't be shipped to prisons.....that's the department that handles prison shipments. I use to ship my wife envelopes by the box of 500 because they's so cheap that way, but then they started having to write their name and number on each envelope....I then send them by the box of 100. Also, paper and envelopes can not have preprinted names or addresses on them. At some units if you send loose paper, such as stationary, they have to put their name and number on each sheet, so it's best to use the notebooks with the gummed sides and tear-out pages.

By the way, your friend will know you sent money when they get their monthly trust fund statement.....it shows who sent money and how much.

Mike1963
07-27-2005, 02:47 PM
TDJC i dont know what bop is?My guy in also in Texas. I knew about books but didn't know we could send office supplies. Is this TDCJ \ BOP or both?

That would be great.

tommybear
07-27-2005, 02:52 PM
TDJC i dont know what bop is?

BOP stands for Bureau of Prisons.....that's the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Silva
07-28-2005, 04:34 AM
You're all gonna get sick of me asking WHY all the time, but WHY cant they have stationary sent to them if it has THEIR name & # printed on it ? I understand why they shouldnt have other people's names & addresses on it, but why not thiers?

pjean
07-28-2005, 03:14 PM
My son has been in Federal penitentiary at Bastrop for 6 years. I can mail him books directly, but they have to be paperback, only 5 at a time, and in a large envelope, not a box. I order books for him from edwardhamilton.com. They are a discount place, will send directly to the prison, and only charge $3.50 shipping and handling no matter how many books you order. They have a great and extensive catalog which they will send, too.
To send money, I get a postal money order (cost 75 cents) and mail it to: Federal Bureau of prisons, inmate's name & register #, Po Box 474701, Des Moines, IA 50947-001. He gets it in 3-4 days. They do not allow money orders to be sent to the individual penitentiaries anymore.

lopez82
09-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Wow all u guys are great! I dont have to mess around with money orders anymore and I can send my dad books from amazon and materials from office depot. Thank you all truly.

g2thurman
09-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Jpay Rocks

mrs.nettles
09-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Hi I just got a letter from him this morning when I went to the mailbox. He's never asked for books till now. I was wondering if someone could post an example of how the shipping info is suppose to look like? Or is my example below correct:

John Doe- 1234567
ruben torres unit
125 private rd 4303
hondo, tx 78661

mrs.nettles
09-17-2005, 04:21 AM
He also wants envelopes and paper what should I do? I went to office depot and seen the envelopes w/ 500 in a box. What is the reason that I shouldn't buy them? Please explain. I'm lost. Thanks.

Silva
09-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Mrs nettles ~ that address looks ok to me, its the way I write Ray's and the stuff gets to him fine.
Call the Office Direct special number for inmate supplies 888 819 7272
they will tell you what can be sent to TDC, they do boxes of 100 envelopes. The main reason for not sending 500 is that the inmates have to write their name, # and address on the front of each of them before they leave the mailroom (and they are supposed to do it within 1 hour of receiveing them) so 500 is a lot to get through!

Ms.OneLuv
09-18-2005, 07:10 AM
How do you use the 888 number for pens, paper, envelopes??? Just order it over the phone????

Silva
09-18-2005, 09:08 AM
you call it and leave your name and phone number and they call you back and take your order.

joybringer
01-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi there! I send paper, envelopes, stationary, journals and calendars from rosiesgraphics, their prices are very reasonable, they print the inmates name and TDCJ # on the envelopes for free and if you buy $25.00 worth they throw in some free stuff. Never had any problems and he gets it in about 3 days. They handmake everything especially for the rules of TDCJ. I highly recommend them!

p-lampkin
01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
You can also try inmatepaper.com for paper and envelopes, notepads etc.
They are approved to send materials to TDCJ.

sarah20xoxo
01-31-2007, 08:26 PM
i ordered some envelopes, 1 or 2 tablets of paper, an inspirational book, and 1 or 2 crossword/word search books for my honey two days ago.
:) i hope he gets them. booksamillion has some cheap books!

RobinsMan
01-31-2007, 09:30 PM
You can't send pens in from the outside.

I have used RosiesGraphics and have been happy plus she's a real nice lady if you talk to her. (like, couldn't get her off of the phone the day after Thanksgiving) The free option to print the inmate name and TDCJ number on the envelopes seems trivial until you realize that they are not allowed to leave the commissary window until they have written it on every one of (500????) envelopes before they can step away. The commissary window is outside and Robin got caught in 40 degree weather, 30 mph wind and rain and had to stand there and write her name and TDCJ number on 50 envelopes. Never again or my wife will kill me when she gets out!!!!! and I wouldn't blame her a bit.

sarah20xoxo
01-31-2007, 09:37 PM
^^^ but i heard that they have to write it and that printed ones arent accepted. someone put that in a post up there.

RobinsMan
01-31-2007, 10:05 PM
That's wrong. I have dozens of letters from my lady that have her name and TDCJ number pre-printed on the envelopes from Rosies. I'll allow for the possibility that different units may operate differntly but I really doubt it on this issue. Rosie sends items to all of them. Check out www.rosiesgraphics.com (http://www.rosiesgraphics.com) and call her up and ask her about it. I'll never let my lady have to do that again.

Now, there may be some confusion about what "printed" on an envelope means. There are rules about printing on envelopes but Rosie, at least, has it down square. First, just the printing of name and TDCJ# is nothing. it is good to go. Now, Rosie will also send envelopes with various printings on the envelopes themselves. Mostly, these are intended for female inmates, I think, but even those go into my lady and out again with no problem. However, what the "printing" eludes to, I am certain, is an individual taking a colored pencil or marker or crayon and coloring all over the envelope to the point that it may be unaddressable or - if you can believe it - marks made by markers of any kind don't usually make it in whether on envelopes or on the enclosed pages because inmates can "sniff" them and get high. Do not sweat sending envelopes pe-printed with name and TDCJ number. I know that Rosie knows what she is doing.

krdonna
02-10-2007, 11:42 AM
I am very familiar with the rules You CAN have pre printed envelopes with the inmates name and TDC number, but can not have the address printed on the envelope

funtie8
02-11-2007, 06:40 AM
I didn't know they had to write their name on each envelop. Michael ran out of envelopes and he bought some from another inmate which obviously didn't have that persons name on it because Michael had his name, etc on it and no white out was on it. Strange! Maybe it's different for each facility?

Robin45
02-19-2007, 11:08 AM
:twocents: I've used Amazon.com and Office Depo on line to send my boyfriend stuff. You have to watch what has metal pieces (staples, clasps etc.) because anything with metal on it might not be accepted. If sending books, they might be rejected if there's reference to rape, murder etc. Anything that the jail thinks will give the inmates ideas might be rejected. I've learned the hard way. My boyfriend wrote & told me he got some of the stuff I had sent but some stuff was rejected & was disposed of because it would cost him to many stamps to have it returned to me. I order paperbacks. Hardback books aren't accepted. My boyfriend has enjoyed the find-a-word, puzzle books, & coloring books for artwork projects. Be careful not to send oversize (jumbo) coloring books. I also found out from my boyfriend that if I send him something like a self help type book that he really doesn't want, he can trade it for services like laundry or for something he may need like stamps. I hope this was helpful.

:twocents:

Mike1963
02-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Robin45 i always call the unit to make sure the books are on the approved list.And hardback books are accepted at my loved ones unit.But call to make sure.

sweetjosesgurl
02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I was wondering if they would allow to send things from these places in the PA prison system? I would probably have to aske in the PA forum huh!!
thanks

jenn

RMD4EVER
02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
sweet,all states and most units are different when sending things in check like you said in the PA forum or call the mail room at his unit.

mia_101
03-08-2007, 03:12 AM
Why do you send stationary and pens when they provide them?

RobinsMan
03-08-2007, 06:19 AM
Well, they don't "provide" anything it must be bought. With no money in their ITF they can get indigent status but that is only basic necessities and limited amounts of paper, pen, envelopes, etc. and then nothing for anything else. I'm going to be taking better care of Robin than to let her subsist as indigent. You can't send in pens in Texas. I send stationary to Robin for three reasons. One is that she is a woman and likes pretty things and those otherwise don't exist in such an ugly place. (I actually like it myself when I get a letter on it) I also don't want her to have to stand outside at the commissary window writing her name and TDCJ # on 50 envelopes in who knows what kind of weather. That happened once and it was ugly. Freezing cold, stiff wind and rain. Finally, just the event of receiving a package with goodies in it makes one hell of a good day for her. Same thing with books that I send. They have a library so why send books? Well, library has a lot of good harlequin romance crap but thats about it, Robin says. I've got a better selection out here plus getting the package is like Christmas. There are other things too. Robin has two magazine subscriptions plus I've sent calander, journal, puzzle books and dictionary. I want to send her a book on how to do origami when she makes it back from county. I actually haven't compared the difference in price between the commissary inside and my cost to buy outside so maybe it is cheaper to buy inside but like I said, I can send that stuff for good enough reasons for me (I've got a girl inside, not a guy) and I leave her commissary funds for her to use on things that I cannot send in.

mia_101
03-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Women can receive packages in TX? I don't think the men can, but I didn't know there were different policies.

I see why you send her that stuff, of course. I am sure it makes all the difference in the world to her, and she is blessed to have you.

We girls do like the little pretty things, and like you said, it's especially important in an ugly place.

I was thinking of men who just write on regular paper. My pen-pal is on indigent I guess.

I bet the soap and deodorant and toothpaste are awful quality, but he gets what he absolutely needs.

5 stamps a week I was told by someone in the library. He said books are hard to come by.

I don't want to send him money, but I thought I would like to do a package if I could for his birthday.

I've been told not to send a pen-pal money if I can't keep sending it, and I guess I understand that. He'd have some perks for a while then they'd all be gone and it would be hard to go back to nothing again.

I'd have to first pay for the things he's getting now before he'd get anything extra.

:-(

RobinsMan
03-09-2007, 06:12 AM
Men can receive anything the women can but any package must come from a vendor and not from an individual. So anything that they allow to be sent in if you order online and shipped direct will be ok. My male cousin spent 4 months at Lychner and I sent him books that I bought from amazon. You can also send him plain writing tablets and envelopes, etc. I send Robin stationary but I've also sent her 6 or 8 plain writing tablets several times for every day letters and such. Plain envelopes can be sent in just as easily, too. I've sent Robin stationary around Christmas and Valentines Day, otherwise I have sent plain envelopes from Rosiesgraphics with name and TDCJ# printed on them and she seems to get the ones with designs (I think Rosie does it for orders over $25). I think that Rosie does that for the girls but I also think that she knows to not bother with the designs if you are ordering plain envelopes and sending it to a guy.

clcmm
08-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Ok, I understand I can only send letters, cards, pictures to him from me personally. I got that. :thumbsup: But, as far as ordering him things from Office Depot or Barnes & Noble or Amazon...I knew GLUED writing pads & blank envelopes...But what about pens? Any certain type? Books, do they have to be soft cover? What about postage?? Do they only buy it off commisary or can ya buy that too?

Ive seen some sites that offer to put together care packages for inmates..will TDCJ accept those, I havent found any that ship to TDCJ yet? Is there an actual hard copy list?
:idea: How about if I go to Barnes & Noble and stuff myself in a box and have it mailed!!??? They could stamp the reciept on my BUTT!! :p LOL!!!!!

:confused: I just feel like a new creature being trained to jump thru hoops at a 3 ring circus of fools... Ok Im done ranting.
Cin

BuggsBoo
09-18-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm soooooo sooooo confused.. I want to send some books to my b/f and I see Amazon is the way to go, but dont the books come from individuals??? Maybe I dont understand. Any help would be apprechated..

Vinny'sBaby
09-18-2007, 10:52 PM
BuggsBoo, when it's stated that the books can't come from an individual, what it means is that you can't go out and buy books, pack them and mail them yourself. By going through some place like Amazon, you may be buying the books, but they are packed and mailed by the company not you. As long as they're shipped directly from Amazon, they should get through. Hope that helps.

davidsister
10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Can you still use vendors to mail in paper and things. I saw this link posted paperandstuff.net is it still ok. Does anyone know of any other places that I can get paper and envelopes? I looked at Rosie's graphics, but I don't really care about the multi colored lines on the paper.

katydidsbro
10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
You can use another vendor, they just have to be sure to follow TDC's rules and restrictions. Many people use Rosie's because we know that they know what they're doing, but you don't have to use them, no.

Kay

RobinsMan
10-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Rosie added the multicolor lines after TDC banned colored paper. It isn't much but it was allowed by TDC and she was trying to get some color into what is otherwise a completely colorless world in prison.

davidsister
10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
I think that is a great idea!! I never looked at it like that. I wrote my husband and asked him what hw thought about it. I wasn't sure if it was cheaper for him to get it there or if it was cheaper for me to send it. I was reading about the printed envelopes and it also is a great idea. I guessing that they can buy stamps seperate from the envelopes? So I think it would be a good idea so when it's cold and rainy he won't have to stand out there and write his name and TDCJ# on all of them.

katydidsbro
10-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, stamps can only be purchased at the prison. It would be great if we could have the USPS deliver some to our inmate, but TDC won't allow it - not even for the postage-paid envelopes they sell.

Kay

strawberry6977
11-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I didn't know you could order and ship envelopes... I know the envelopes there in the prison have the pre-stamps on there. Do they sell plain stamps (which are cheaper) than buying the envelope/pre-stamp combo there at the commissary? Sorry if this is a dumb question. :)

ReggiesLady
11-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Yes, they do sell the single stamps without the envelope.

Also, keep in mind it's cheaper for them to buy these things on the inside rather than us buying them.

ilklm
11-07-2008, 07:06 PM
I usually used Amazon.com but this time I tried Powells. It is free shipping on orders over 50 dollars and the books are at least half to a third of the full price. They are used books. But my son got them with no problem

releasemyman
11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Damn, I wish I had this info a few days ago. I just sent some money through ACE yesterday!

JAYPAUL
03-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Has any one tried texas prison bookstore its a good place a little high on shipping but nits all aproved items books paper note pads ledgers ect....

snowbunnietx
03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Has any one tried texas prison bookstore its a good place a little high on shipping but nits all aproved items books paper note pads ledgers ect....

That is who I use to send my hubby his stuff

Lenorat
04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
My boyfriend is doing time in a Texas facility. Does anybody know how you can go about sending them reading books or writing materials?
I have been using angel heart grafix to send supplies to my son. They are very reasonable and have some really nice note cards and supplies. Hope this helps!

sonflower
04-26-2012, 02:03 PM
There is a used bookstore in Cleburne TX with a huge sign outside their shop that says they ship to prison. This leads me to ask, does the book still have to come from the publisher?

If a used book store can ship to prison, anyone with a rubber stamp that says "XYZ bookstore, 111 Main St, Anywhere TX 77777" can ship books.

Thanks in advance.

grmnclt_gurl
04-26-2012, 04:33 PM
There is a used bookstore in Cleburne TX with a huge sign outside their shop that says they ship to prison. This leads me to ask, does the book still have to come from the publisher?

If a used book store can ship to prison, anyone with a rubber stamp that says "XYZ bookstore, 111 Main St, Anywhere TX 77777" can ship books.

Thanks in advance.

I would think that if TDCJ had any question about the store actually being a store they will check to see if it's legitimate and if it doesn't really exist that could come back on you and they could restrict you from sending him mail of any kind.
That's just my opinion based on the way TDCJ deals with people trying to "get around" their rules in other areas.

InMyArmsInstead
04-26-2012, 10:20 PM

Thanks in advance.

They have to be an approved vendor from what I have been told.

TEAMPIERT
07-15-2012, 09:12 AM
I used to go through office max and office depot to send supplies to my hubby at the Darrington Unit in Texas, I just went to both stores and called their customer service dept. They told me they no longer ship supplies to inmates...so my question is who do we use to as a vendor to ship writing supplies to texas inmates??? Please help! :)

Renee
07-15-2012, 02:06 PM
You can check out the http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/pto/misc/paperclip.gif (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=875#) http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/pto/misc/sticky.gif Sticky: TDCJ - Approved vendors for books/stationery UPDATED: June 2010 (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223704), but I've heard Amazon.com works. Good luck!

490sndr
07-29-2012, 01:21 AM
My guy in also in Texas. I knew about books but didn't know we could send office supplies. Is this TDCJ \ BOP or both?

That would be great.
go to texas prison bookstore. they have books, and suppplies. and its texas prison approved. the prices are not to high either. shipment will get there in about 3 days.

490sndr
07-29-2012, 01:26 AM
That is who I use to send my hubby his stuff
yes, i use it all the time to send my son inspirational books, puzzles, magazines, and supplies. u r right, shipping is a little to high, but its all worth it with that message they allow to give your loved one along with the shipment.

490sndr
07-29-2012, 01:30 AM
yes, try texas prision bookstore.