View Full Version : Dumb question - how to address letter to warden?

Lysbeth
04-17-2003, 11:57 PM
I have a dumb question... what's the "proper" way to address a letter to the warden? Should it be "Mr. so and so", "Warden so and so", or what? Just wondering and thanx...

Ken
04-18-2003, 01:30 AM
I would do it in the standard business format which would be:

Mr./Ms. Name
Title
Prison
Address

Some go by 'Warden' and some by other more 'modern' titles... so just check what the Warden is called in that prison or state.

BillysAngel
04-18-2003, 02:20 AM
Lys
I don't know about Alabama, but here in Texas, I wrote a letter to the warden and it was sent back to me!! How rude huh?? I would address it like Teb said, that looks pretty much like the correct way to do it:)
diane

Lysbeth
04-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Thanks y'all, you guys have been a big help! :)

mrsdragoness
04-18-2003, 08:30 AM
When I address the warden in a letter I always do this:

Joe Idiot, Warden
rotten correctional facility

When I address them in the letter I say Dear Warden Idiot:

I hope that helps

Mrs. D

Phil in Paris
04-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Lol Mrs D !!! :D

Ooooppppsss !!!! When you e-mail to a prison, I mean the e-mail address given by DOC, who do you think receive the e-mail ??

The books I ordered for Joey, arrived yesterday to his ex-prison, I was tracking them on USPS. So, I e-mailed to be sure they would forward them to his new facility. The problem is, I started my e-mail by: Hi, not Mr or Ms, just Hi !! Do you think the wardens get those e-mails or someone else, such as his secretary or a clerk ? And is it considered rude to start an e-mail by Hi ? :confused:

Maybe that's the reason why they haven't answered me yet
!!! :(

deb
04-18-2003, 12:02 PM
lol mrs! Lysbeth--I addressed it so and so and then a comma after the guy's name and warden then. Example:

Robert Smith, Warden
address

and then when I began the letter I put Mr. Smith:

Deb

Lysbeth
04-18-2003, 04:50 PM
That all sounds good too, thanks Deb. LOL Mrs. D.! :D

DENIMBLUE
04-18-2003, 05:17 PM
MY "DEAR WARDEN" WAS REAL SIMILAR TO MRS. D's! :D BUT I USED MORE INAPPROPRIATE WORDS! :D
I AM A BITCH! :D

38special
04-19-2003, 12:07 AM
Lysbeth,
Proper format for a buisness letter in accordance with English grammar textbooks is:

Mr. J or John Smith, Warden of _________ Correctional Facility
1000 St Clair Road
Springville, Al. 35146

Parallel with your heading, phone number, and the date:

Ms. Lysbeth __________
1234 Cherry Street
Somewhere, Tn. 12345
(H) 123-4567-8901

04/19/2003

The letter would begin with:

Mr. Smith:

Proper format for a personal letter has a heading that addresses the person whom is writing the letter. This letter would usually begin:

Dear John, using the person's first name.

Your letter is buisness and therefore requires the first example.

Good luck with writing your letter. 38 Special

BillysAngel
04-19-2003, 03:55 AM
lol Mrs D!!! That was funny!!
Phil, I am sure that your email will be answered with the usual, we have forwarded the books on to his new facility, but I would follow up as much as you can. If you would like, pm me with the info and I can call from here in the States so it won't cost so much for you :) Let me know... Oh and usually, all their mail will follow him wherever he goes. As soon as they look up his DOC# to find him to deliver the books to him, they will see that he has been transferred and will forward them on to him. It may take a while so keep trying to contact the new place to see if they have arrived yet :)
diane

Phil in Paris
04-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Thank you Diane !! :) They haven't answered yet !! :( Maybe I'll contact them again after Easter.

Thanks
Phil

Lysbeth
04-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Thank you very much, .38 Special! Perfect! :)

Lys

Teardrop
04-19-2003, 04:27 PM
I addressed mine like Deb.