View Full Version : Good Time in Kentucky prisons

mykygal
06-22-2005, 09:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there knows if anyone in the Kentucky system is litigating a policy on working for good time. A few months ago, the warden at KSR sad that a polcy would be forthcoming and if an inmate behaved, participated in recommended programs and work the inmate would get good time. Has anyone heard anything about this taking place?

babygirl350
06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I am not sure I understand your question. There presently are two types of good time offered in Kentucky. One is the regular good time they get for staying out of trouble, doing programs, no write ups, etc. and the other one is called Meritorious Good Time. This good time is up to the discretion of the Warden. It is USUALLY given in December. Some Wardens are giving it more than others.

Good luck to you.

mykygal
06-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Thank you, babygirl350 for the reply. It is our understanding that only non violent offenders are eligible for the work for the regular good time. We were aware of the meritorius good time. We just wondered if any of the inmates in KY who were considered violent offenders were litigating the other regular good time so they could be eligible.

babygirl350
06-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Thank you, babygirl350 for the reply. It is our understanding that only non violent offenders are eligible for the work for the regular good time. We were aware of the meritorius good time. We just wondered if any of the inmates in KY who were considered violent offenders were litigating the other regular good time so they could be eligible.

Well my husband is considered a violent offender in Kentucky and he has gotten good time every year he has been in along with the meritorious good time as well except for one year and that was because the Warden had it in for him. I do not believe he is going to get the meritorious this year either.

He has always worked and completed all programs that were available in the facility he was in. He had clear conduct for about six years. Has only recently gotten a couple of minor write ups.

Good luck to you.

mykygal
07-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Thank you for the input. That helps clear it up some so my husband will know how to procede from here.

BigJoe42420
08-17-2005, 08:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone out there knows if anyone in the Kentucky system is litigating a policy on working for good time. A few months ago, the warden at KSR sad that a polcy would be forthcoming and if an inmate behaved, participated in recommended programs and work the inmate would get good time. Has anyone heard anything about this taking place?

I think that others have answered your question, but I wanted to add that I spent 10 1/2 months at KSR and Chandler [warden] is a real snake!! Take everything he says with a grain of salt, it is probably a lie! Good Luck to you.

mykygal
08-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Thank you Big Joe for the input. It seems that corrections does whatever they want for some and not for others is my impression. I don't know Chandler that well but had some hope when I read his interview.

sabor67
02-09-2006, 08:52 PM
My man is in little sandy the case worker and guards have nothing but good things too say model prisoner no write-ups and he has been in there since JUNE and no merit goodtime "for some not for others " believe that

babygirl350
02-09-2006, 10:50 PM
My man is in little sandy the case worker and guards have nothing but good things too say model prisoner no write-ups and he has been in there since JUNE and no merit goodtime "for some not for others " believe that

The thing about meritorious good time is it has nothing really to do with the CO's, Caseworker or even Unit Administrators. It is up to the discretion of the Warden. Everyone in the whole prison can think that an inmate is deserving of it, but if the Warden doesn't then they don't get it.

I wish they had a criteria to have to adhere to in order to get it, that way everyone would stand a chance, but they don't. It is simply the Warden's decision. That came from the DOC.

Good luck to everyone.

mykygal
02-10-2006, 07:26 PM
The sad part is that the warden will sometimes say they will give it and then not do it. I agree that criteria is needed so that it is given equally to all those who are deserving. I am amazed that some of the legal aids are not contesting this.

babygirl350
02-11-2006, 11:48 AM
The sad part is that the warden will sometimes say they will give it and then not do it. I agree that criteria is needed so that it is given equally to all those who are deserving. I am amazed that some of the legal aids are not contesting this.

Do you mean that you are amazed that some of the legal aids are not trying to get criteria for the Warden to give it or not? I am not sure if they would be able to get anywhere with that since it is the Warden's discretion. It is a shame that they don't have a criteria, and don't all get it.

It is just like wages in different prisons. Although a certain job may pay x dollar in one prison there is no guarantee it will pay the same in the next prison. DOC told me it is also up to the discretion of the Warden. My question is where is that extra money going? Hmm... I wonder?

This has happened to my husband twice now where he has held the same position, gotten paid differently at two different facilities. Not a good thing at all.

Oh well, it is their rules and their house and we just have to go along with it, or get it changed if we don't like it and have the means to change it.

Most of the legal aides I have known are too busy working on inmates cases to work on this. A shame, overworked and underpaid, but then that sounds familiar to us all I am sure.

Just my thoughts.

mykygal
02-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I understand totally about the inequality of it all. It does very from prison to prison. I guess if it all is at the discretion of the warden of each facility, then there might not be anything to contest. All the legal aides I know are busy as well. Like us, overworked and underpaid.

babygirl350
02-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I understand totally about the inequality of it all. It does very from prison to prison. I guess if it all is at the discretion of the warden of each facility, then there might not be anything to contest. All the legal aides I know are busy as well. Like us, overworked and underpaid.

Well about the only thing I can think of is that it possibly could be contested on a grievance with a case by case basis. That is if an inmate is deserving of it and has proof that he should of gotten it and then does not, perhaps a grievance could be filed and see where that gets him.

However, lately not with my husband but with friends, filing a grievance only gets them transferred to another facility. When that happens, the grievance is null and void.

In my opinion only, it seems this is a measure to avoid having to deal with the grievance, if it is one they (prison officials) do not want to deal with.

I certainly would hope that there could be a criteria and the Warden would not just randomly choose who he wants to give it to or not based on his feelings.

I personally feel there should be a criteria for everything in prison and if followed, then that should be documentation enough. But that is just my opinion.

mykygal
02-12-2006, 01:00 PM
babygirl - I agree totally. It should be fair for everyone. Not just at one person's (warden) discretion. It has been our experience as well, that if you file grievances or question them, the inmate gets transferred. A punishment for the inmate is how I see it.

Mandi77
02-13-2006, 07:17 AM
My boyfriend is considered a violent offender and he has good time as well.