View Full Version : Petition to keep alabama inmates in alabama

vlcoffman
04-15-2003, 09:41 AM
From The Montgomery Advertiser.
Posted 12:30 a.m. (CDT)
BREAKING NEWS
Inmates moved to Louisiana prison

The Alabama Department of Corrections transferred 70 female inmates from Julia Tutwiler Prison near Wetumpka late Sunday night to a private facility in Louisiana. The inmates were allowed to make a call to let family members and significant others know how they could be contacted in Louisiana. The transfers are part of the state's plan to reduce overcrowding at the prison under orders from U.S. Judge Myron Thompson.

Please sign the petition to stop this.
Thanks,
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/m0336lc/

vicki

Lysbeth
04-15-2003, 05:50 PM
#48... thanks for the heads up Vicki...

deb
04-15-2003, 05:56 PM
signed. #49

Deb

KRIS_NC
04-15-2003, 06:49 PM

Valerie
04-15-2003, 06:57 PM
~signed~

jrzygal71
05-10-2003, 04:03 PM
I don't get it...what's the problem?

vlcoffman
05-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Not sure what you don't get. Is it the link or the fact that we don't like our inmates being in private prisons in another state.

Vicki

jrzygal71
05-10-2003, 04:33 PM
The thing about them being moved. They do what they have to do to prevent overcrowding, end of story. It's not easy, I understand, but prison isn't supposed to be easy. I have a friend who has 2 sons in prison (federal) and they are in 2 different states and neither of them in the state she's in. She knew that could happen and she deals with it. I just think there are more important things that could be and should be"petitioned" or addressed

chuysruca
05-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Signed in at #230.

vlcoffman
05-10-2003, 05:10 PM
I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it. Federal prison is an entire different ball game. But when the state takes on the responsibity to imprison these inmates in my opinion they don't have the right to transfer them to another state. Alabama needs to get their act together and start finding out why alabama parole board is not granting paroles. It is not only the inmate that is in prison it is the families that have to drive hundreds of extra miles to see their loved ones, many of the woman have children that can no longer travel that distance, put the cost of motel rooms extra gas, small children in a car and that can only spell trouble. The phone calls are costing these inmates families huge differences than an in state call. Word has it that the inmates are charged 25.00 for a doctor visit at the private prisons where here in alabama they are charged 3.00 so you tell me are they treated as other alabama inmates.

vicki

deb
05-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Vicki,

I agree 100%. When a state incarcerates they need to stay in that state. If there's overcrowding they need to release some. They also need to change the system so not so many are incarcerated at all as well as no innocents incarcerated. (Boy am I rambling!)

Michigan housed our guys in Virginia a few years ago and I drove to Virginia every two weeks with my kids and other women and their kids in my van.....It was very expensive and there were may hardships along the way.....Also many fun times on the travels, but we should NOT have had to do this...

Deb

jrzygal71
05-10-2003, 06:45 PM
I don't believe that overcrowding is a reason to release criminals back into society. Rehabilitation, yes...but because of overcrowding? Bad idea. As it stands, these people are in jail for committing crimes. They violated the rights of someone, some business, some company, the public, whatever. They now have to pay. They are at the mercy of the justice system, courts, what have you. They no longer have the right to decide where they reside. If they wanted that option, they should have stayed out of trouble. Yes, I agree that the families suffer, but when are we going to stop blaming the "powers that be" for their suffering and start blaming their loved one who did it TO them. I know that most of you on here are here because you have a loved one incarcerated or know of someone who does so you've got a different perspective on things. I can see things clearly because I'm not emotionally involved. I will add that my father came 2 steps from going to jail when I was in HS for bookmaking. He eventually convinced them to give him PTI (they wanted him to PAY for it and he didn't have the money. Eventually they realized that and gave it to him) anyway, I knew my father was doing something illegal and I knew that there were going to be consequences should he get caught. When he got caught, I prepared myself for the worst and even went so far as to decide NOT to visit him in jail should he go. I also have 2 uncles who were busted for dealing (small time, only sold to their friends) one got PTI because his girlfriends parents had money and paid for it. My other uncle ended up serving his time on weekends. They ALL know how I felt about what they had done and that I had no sympathy for them. I guess all I'm saying is, I agree that it's difficult for the families but you're pointing your fingers in the wrong direction. When they committed their crimes, they did so knowing that they could potentially go to jail and give up their right to alot of their freedoms.

deb
05-10-2003, 06:57 PM
You're wrong--so wrong. Not everyone in is guilty. Many are 100% innocent as is my husband. Another thing--if you feel people should be incarcerated because they did something wrong therefore they should do their time no matter how long or where...I'm wondering why you are on PTO?

Deb

jrzygal71
05-10-2003, 07:08 PM
I stumbled on PTO browsing the web. I have an interest in true crime and related things so I registered to see what exactly it is all about. I didn't expect to see so many one sided opinions so I thought I would post my obviously different opinion.

Correct that there are some innocent people in prison but it isn't anywhere NEAR enough to work the whole prison system around them. The best those people can do is deal with it as best as they can and fight every day to find a way out.

I don't know anything about your husband or what he is accused of doing, and I am in no way trying to cause any kind of battle, but I was just wondering, are you absolutely POSITIVE he's innocent? I see it time and time again and the spouse is the one least likely to believe it until it's proven. I have a friend who has 2 young kids and her husband who was a truck driver and member of the local rescue squad was dealing drugs. She had no idea. She actually THOUGHT he was cheating on her because of his strange behavior. When he got arrested, she swore up and down he was innocent. He sold to an undercover cop and she swore he was innocent. Until she saw the proof. she had a hard time believing it then. Perhaps your husband is innocent, and I have no reason to think otherwise....Im just making a point.

deb
05-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Yes, he's innocent and I do not need to go into explaining it to you. I'm sorry about your friend, but it seems you are judging many by one....

This sight is for support of families of the incarcerated whether they be innocent or guilty. This sight is not for folks who uphold our system and downgrade our loved ones and us....

Deb

mrsdragoness
05-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Jerzygal71.

Although opinions are welcome here on PTO, its important to NOT judge others here. This is a support forum, not the debate one. I suggest that if you want to debate your feelings, you take it to the debate room.

MRs. Dragon

jrzygal71
05-10-2003, 07:20 PM
I am not judging you at all. I posed a question that is it.

I am not comparing everyone to my friend, I was giving an example.

I am also not trying to downgrade anyone here at all. I was just stating my opinion on the topic. It's difficult for people who are as personally involved as you are here to see any other views but yours. I'd be willing to bet that many of you shared my opinions until you ended up witha loved one in prison.

danielle
05-10-2003, 08:22 PM
I know that most of you on here are here because you have a loved one incarcerated or know of someone who does so you've got a different perspective on things. I can see things clearly because I'm not emotionally involved.

Perhaps, we can see more clearly because prison life is everything to us. I spend hours every single day reading, researching, and educating myself on the prison system.

It's difficult for people who are as personally involved as you are here to see any other views but yours.

Why should we be forced to see other views than our own? I do not have a problem living in my own shallow little world, with my own points-of-view. I'm an adult and I'm quite content. Thanks for your concern.

I'd be willing to bet that many of you shared my opinions until you ended up witha loved one in prison.

That's a bet you would probably win. Truthfully, I never gave prisons a thought, but now that it's been thrust into my life - it's all I think about.

Now, as for your original question on why there's a problem with moving prisoners out-of-state, please refer to the following threads.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14233

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13580

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13495

Please pay special attention to the following:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13274

KConnor56
05-11-2003, 02:12 AM
jrzygal71,

PTO is for the support of people with loved ones in prison or jail. We also provide information on the prison system. If you can't understand the problems our members go through when their loved ones are transfered to another state, then maybe it's you that needs to look at others points of view. Just becaause a person is incarcerated doesn't mean that the state is free to do as they wish with them. We, as citizens have the right to petion our government. Just because you don't see transfering prisoners to another state as a problem, doesn't mean it isn't a problem to others. I live in Calif. & we too have problems with overcrowding, & we deal with it without sending prisoners to another state. Even the government admits to the importance of family visits in a prisoners rehabilitation, thats why it exist. Moving prisoners to another state, will pretty much put an end to most prisoners visits. It is the states actions that are to blame for this situation. The state is doing this, not the prisoners. I did not share your views on this subject at any time in my life.

KConnor56
05-11-2003, 02:19 AM
230-me
231-my ex wife
232-my sister
233-my best friend

Budwoman
05-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Guys, please don't let this "LADY" incite you or make you feel uneasy, because that is exactly what she is trying to do...

People like her is what our society has become... They are why we have inmates in the first place. Hope she never has to come to this site because she needs it, HuH///

Donna

danielle
05-11-2003, 06:31 AM
jrzygal71 is no longer with us. She's been banned - along with others who were in a conspiracy to disrupt PTO.

vlcoffman
05-11-2003, 07:56 AM
jrzygal71,

Non on this group or any other group has ever heard me say my guy was not guilty... he is paying his debt of life without only because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and would not rat. That was his choice and I will stand by him until our last breaths.

But for you to come in here and I will state that beneath your name it says your band by moderators you don't have that right. You don't live through what many of us d, you don't walk in our shoes everyday. If you think its one side so be it, we aren't out here with bleeding hearts but we have a heart not like some people. We believe in human rights, even God forgave those and visited the prisons. Remember that when your so quick to judge, so that one day you will have to stand there and be judged also.

One of the hardest lessons you teach your children is that your actions has consequences and some time innocent people get hurt. I am taking that stand now... maybe you should look for another group because I personally don't want to hear your mean words, it seems to me you are only here to stir up trouble, we need support, not more conflick in our lives.

vicki

vlcoffman
05-11-2003, 08:12 AM
jrzygal71
Banned by Moderators,

One of the hardest lessons we have to teach our children is that our consequences do affect others. Believe me we live it everyday of our lives. But this is a group where we can all come together that share the same intest, to lend support, information, and encouragement. This is where I question your presence.
It is only my opinion but it seems to me that you are here to stir up trouble, we don't need that we are judged everyday of our lives by those with small minds. Maybe you should seek out another group I notice that beneath your name it states that your are band by moderator. Yes we are grown ups and we can take the verbal abuse, but its not your place to judge or place doubt in our lives. We live every day with our family members consquences, you'll never know these because you beat to another drum.

vicki

KConnor56
05-11-2003, 10:26 AM
I visited the site these people came from, & this is just "fun" to them & they don't understand why they got banned, LOL, some people are just thick. One even said "Hey, PTO is public so deal with it" to paraphrase. Well PTO isn't public, it's by membership only, & members exist as long as they follow our rules & policies. It shows the character of some of the members on that board, or should I say the lack of character.

danielle
05-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Well said Ken. Good riddance to them!

deb
05-11-2003, 12:46 PM
What kind of site were these people from and how in the world did you guys figure out that there was more than one? omg, you guys are good at sleuthing!! Thank you so much for taking care of it!

Deb

vlcoffman
05-11-2003, 10:57 PM
I'm with you Deb, this is a place that we can come and know that we don't have to really defend our loved ones and that we aren't looked down for the love we share with them. Thanks for taking care of our PTO Family.
vicki

KConnor56
05-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys, David has seen to it that we have a great bunch of administrators, & moderators. They have done a great job on this & others that you don't even see. Many of you would be surprised how much work these guys do behind the scenes. They all do a fantasic job at protecting our members, & keeping PTO a safe cool place to be.-----Ken

Phil in Paris
05-13-2003, 05:37 AM
Back to the original topic of this thread: petition signed, # 303

Phil

Amanda_H
05-13-2003, 06:24 AM
# 304

David
05-13-2003, 06:08 PM

Imconfused
05-15-2003, 11:22 PM
# 367 Signed and sent