View Full Version : Omg--Ion test picked up Cocaine on my shoe

Gregsbabygirl
06-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Yesterday I spent 5 hours on the bus...2 buses and and a 20$ cab ride to Beaver creek...I get there just to fail a Ion test, its crazy im totally aganinst drugs. The scan picked up cocaine on my shoe. Like give me a break. I was denied my visit...cried the whole 5 hours home. OMG!!!:angry:

melbo
06-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Wow...I've heard stories about those machines, I'm so sorry you didn't get your visit! Keep your head up and try to stay positive.

Mel

witchlinblue
06-22-2005, 12:06 AM
You should write a letter and complain. If you are drug free then make a complaint. If drug free people are traveling miles and miles to see a loved one, only to be turned away from by a machine then you got to say something, you are not the only one that this has happened to and the more that complain then the more of a chance they will look into fixing the problem.
Im so sorry that you missed out on your visit.

stevesboo23
06-22-2005, 12:20 AM
OMG... I am soooo sorry to hear that! I agree with witchlinblue u need to complain. I too have been turned down after a 5 hour drive . Keep your head up girl. If u need to chat I am here!!! Jill

zigan04
06-22-2005, 12:50 AM
I agree, you should complain. That is just wrong. Keep positive, we are here for you!

witchlinblue
06-22-2005, 01:13 AM
You might be interested in checking out this link. You can download an mp3 of a radio broadcast dealing with the false postive test results from the ion scanner.

Description: 'Notorious for its inaccuracy, the Ion Scan machine routinely gives false-positive results. This show looks at the discrimination and stigma experienced by families at the prison gate, whose only crime is offering support to those behind bars.'

http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=program-info&program_id=9865&nav=&
the download link is near the bottom

Listen to this and you will understand why your complaint will mean something.

Keltria
06-22-2005, 05:19 AM
So sorry to hear this happened to you :( I would take extra shoes with me next time and change them before I went in. Hope you have better luck next time.

babygirl350
06-22-2005, 05:28 AM
I am sorry to hear this. I hear so often there are malfunctions in this Ion Machine. I dread the day we get them in Kentucky. I agree register a complaint and keep on writing till you get someone to listen to you. Drug free people should not be abused in this manner.

Good luck to you. We are all here for you.

Kassiesgma
06-22-2005, 06:49 AM
I tested positive for cocaine because I was taking an anti-depressant called effexor. The company that made the ion scanner confirmed that this happens with this drug...but I still had many many cancelled visits because of it.
Kassiesgma

SAHAR
06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
what a total nightmare for you , i am so sorry you were put thru such an ordeal. i think Keltria was right in saying take a clean pair of shoes in a bag to change into on the premises.... maybe you could even wipe them thoroughly before you put them on ..... i would certainly file a complaint .
good luck

Draysmom
06-24-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm so sorry!!!!! I've been through that before too. And you had to go all the way home on the bus?? What a nightmare. Like everyone else said in here too, complain about it big time to the jail...write letters, phonecalls, etc.

I had that happen to me at Kent in BC. To make a long story short, they basically admitted that the guy i was seeing was under suspicion for selling drugs and they thought I was the source. SO, they kind of set up a "sting".... so obviously, there are ways that machine makes "misakes"....

Im sorry that happened to you!!!! I've heard you should not touch a thing before you go - doorknobs, pens, gas pumps, and I heard that even certain foods will cause a positive reaction..... I would be careful of touching anything at the jail: door knob, their pen, and make sure the person checking your stuff is wearing gloves.

Hope this helps :)
Sam

stevesboo23
06-24-2005, 12:21 PM
I have had them swab the inside of my rings.... i also make several trips to bathrooms to scrub down before I get there and clean my id with rubbing alcohol and keepit wrapped in plastic till i get there.
It is horrible and something needs to be done.

plow
04-20-2006, 08:47 PM
I found all of the info to be very informative. My son is in Millhaven as of 2 days ago and I will want to visit him. I appreciate knowing what I will be up against. I will have to travel at least 4 hrs. and would be greatly disappointed and angry to be turned away. It sounds almost cruel.

ringoswife
04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm so sorry you missed your visit!! I agree with the others - complain, complain, complain!! I hope your next visit goes better. What a sad thing to go all that way just to be turned back.

Yoosgirl
04-21-2006, 02:45 PM
OMG I am so sorry that happened to you... I have never had any problems with the scanner but I will tell you if I did I would be complaining for sure!

witchlinblue
04-23-2006, 04:32 AM
We have a thread in the subforums for anyone with this problem: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175751