View Full Version : The PTO Native American Forum, today

Wingy
06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone...I would love to hear from you...and your ideas about what kind of posts/threads you would like to see and would be willing to participate in, by posting your thoughts to or contributing your knowledge to the threads.

So far I have started threads regarding books,Happenings in Indian country, and a few others.

The feed back I am getting back is ummmmmm well, barely existant so I have to figure I am on the wrong track...I would really like to know what would interest you, what you could share with your loved ones that can be posted here...for example an elders meditation daily? websites that you look at to find good things to your loved ones (graphics, information, resources with in the facilty where your loved one resides, or deparment wide resources (Susan's idea and I think a REALLY worthwhile effort, but very time consuming your help in this effort is absolutely necessary to complete the project)

So lets hear it, gang...and other PTO members too...if you have any information that would help our loved ones inside, and their families We would love to hear from you...feel more than free to PM me i f you are feeling shy...We would be sooooooo grateful.

LIFE IS A GIVE AWAY, all that you give, good or bad comes back to you. We must give enough that 7 generations later, our ancestors yet to come will still be recieving, and have the ability to give what they know to the next 7 generations.

thanks,

MiaBellaAngela
07-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Wingy....

I would like to discuss Native teachings with others. Also drumming circle information and pouring water information (where to find that in various areas of the USA).

I also added a Native siggy album to my website if people are looking. Here is a great graphics site I found http://www.1polly.nl/polly30/polly30.html :thumbsup:

If I find other sites I will post them here if this is the appropriate place.

Wingy
07-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey Mia

the only way i know to find out about lodges is make a connection with the native community. If you need some ideas on how to locate the native communities in your area, let me know.

I am not sure what you mean by drumming circles...I know there are women,s drums in some places, not so much here in the East because many feel it goes against tradition. I have had the opportunity to hears some AWESOMELY rockin women's drums

the computer is a wonderful place to share information. some teachings are general enough to share on the internet. However, I have been taught that ours is an oral tradition and there are many things i would not discuss on the Web. I would also say that I am not a teacher but would happy to answer some questions or maybe point you in a direction where you can find the answer...

Where are you located? I travel some and know some people from all over...perhaps i can put you in touch with someone...

thanks for sharing the graphics...I am working on combining some fo the threads into a resources sticky...whe i get around to that, i can move them there...in the meantime right here is great.

MiaBellaAngela
07-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Drumming circles...these are people who come together and give thanks to the Great Spirit through drumming. I found one on the web and asked for information to be sent to me.

I have read alot and yes I agree the net is a great place to get info. And yes I agree alot of the teachings are oral, however, this is a great forum for all to share and discuss. :thumbsup:

As for me I am smudging and going to the upper worlds when I can, and asking for guidance and giving thanks.

Sweat lodges...I will contact you.

Blessings,
Mia
Hey Mia

the only way i know to find out about lodges is make a connection with the native community. If you need some ideas on how to locate the native communities in your area, let me know.

I am not sure what you mean by drumming circles...I know there are women,s drums in some places, not so much here in the East because many feel it goes against tradition. I have had the opportunity to hears some AWESOMELY rockin women's drums

the computer is a wonderful place to share information. some teachings are general enough to share on the internet. However, I have been taught that ours is an oral tradition and there are many things i would not discuss on the Web. I would also say that I am not a teacher but would happy to answer some questions or maybe point you in a direction where you can find the answer...

Where are you located? I travel some and know some people from all over...perhaps i can put you in touch with someone...

thanks for sharing the graphics...I am working on combining some fo the threads into a resources sticky...whe i get around to that, i can move them there...in the meantime right here is great.

Aya
07-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey

I would like to get a bit more focus upon the many si-stars that are incarcerated throughout the country and as well healing programs such as well briety that also can be held while being behind bars. Furthermore, a better focus on the posibilities to get rehab. back to the red road as many has gotten a stray from their family and nations, so bottom line a better focus on how to mend the broken hoop and as well a focus upon those who has become institutionalized.
Many years ago we started a knitting program for the si-stars incarcerated in CA, that gave them something meaningful to do and came to benefit many happy kids at the rez. I great way to create self worth and let things circle again. There is many things that can be done which the officials will allow and it is better to focus on all the good things that can be done then yelling about all the things that lack and all the lawsuits to be filed. Let's show the vast majority that American Indians are a truly resourceful group instead of the black and white stereotyped ideas that are somewhat seen as the truth.

Wingy
07-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Aya. you are right...so many of our nations people are behind the iron walls and too many are forgotten and left behind...

ome can log onto just about Any DOC website and find programs to volunteer and work with those that are incarcerated.

Right now I am waiting to take in orietation in NH DOC amd recently requested the app;pcatopm for <aine. I have sisters working in Mass and have offered to help them in whatever way i can.

Indiana just instituted a "Faith and Character" based program where one can volunteer in any number of programs and even develop programs themselves. If i get out to Indiana on even a semi permanent basis i will look further into volunteering there also.

My disability retirement was just approved and as soon as the checks start coming in I will start volunteering on more of a full time basis...where ever...

I am going to post the Indiana DOc program and start looking for others.

I think the biggest problem we facr is a lack of teachers...we on the outside often have difficulty staying close to our teachers because many of us live far from our communities. It is even more difficult to find people willing to take on the ahem...BS of working with DOC,

So that will be my next project ;ooling for facilities' information about volunteering...

Baa ma pii (til the next time)

Wingy
07-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Mia, if i understand correctly, then, drumming circles are many people from ,many places coming together to pray??? If thats the case, then I have never been to one... Most times, at ceremony there may be one or several people with hand drums or a ceremonial drum...

I have been taught that our whole life is to be lived in ceremony...with each individual action and event should be treated as ceremony...if we were to do that, with honesty, it would be impossible to speak in anger, act in greed, or steal others power....what a world it would be!!! Believe me, i am very human and I am not able to do this...but i do aspire to that teaching...if that were are only teachng and we lived it...we would be as pure as the four leggeds, winged ones, crawlers, swimmers, the green people and the stone people. We would be living in perfect harmony...

and yup!!! thats definately why we are here...on PTO, or anywhere to share and learn...

thatboysmine
07-05-2009, 02:25 AM
I do not know for sure where to post this and hope that maybe someone here would be kind enough to help me get it into the right place. Basically I am in need of guidance for my husband who is currently in Leavenworth Detention Center in Ks. We are from Wisconsin and he is a member of the Menominee Tribe. He is awaiting Transfer to the federal system. He was first in jail in Omaha Ne and then transfered to Leavenworth approximately 6weeks ago he was in Omaha since OCT2008. Anyhow he has put in requests to see a spiritual advisor several times in this journey. He has been either met with total indifference,ignored and as of his last request told that they do not do that kind of thing. I know how important this is to him and need to know how to go about making this happen. Since I am currently back in Wisconsin I do not have weekly or even monthly access to him he is having trouble making this connection and since I am not fluent in the Native ways (still learning} I would welcome any advice or suggestions. It is appalling to me that if he was asking for a priest it would be provided with know problem at all. I was under the impression that this country provides certain freedoms and that freedom of religion was a right provided by the constitution. Boy have I found out that this is not the case. If anyone knows how to figure this out and help me to provide this for him please help me it would be so greatly appreciated.

ariggle_07
07-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Aaniin.
Alex Riggle Indizhinakaaz.
Niizhtana Niizhimeya.
Miskwaa Gamii Wiisaga' Iiganing Indoonjibaa.

I am an Ojibwe Native from Red Lake, Lakota Sioux from Sisseton. My fiance is Ojibwe from Mille Lacs. He is currently incarcerated for a probation violation. He is set to get out and off paper on 7/21/2011. Lil' over two years to go. We're riding it out together.

Finally found the Native forum. Just wanted to come and introduce myself. Say Aaniin. Looking to meet more indians going through similar situations.

Miigwech,
Alex Riggle