View Full Version : Senate Bill 825/ implement new guidelines

jat356
06-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Sentencing
Behind the governor’s request is the fact that laws already on the books will create a shortfall of some 6,000 beds by 2001, absent legislative action. Furthermore, if SBs 825–26—the so-called sentencing guidelines/"truth-in-sentencing" bills—are enacted, the net effect will be to increase still further the need for new prisons. Sentencing guidelines have been in force for most felony offenses since 1983, under a system instituted by the Michigan Supreme Court. Guidelines are intended to remove disparity and encourage uniformity among the sentences given to similarly circumstanced offenders.

http://www.michiganinbrief.org/edition06/images/bullet.gifSenate Bill 825 would implement new guidelines developed by the Michigan Sentencing Commission and forwarded to the legislature under a 1994 law. The bill would create nine crime categories of varying severity. For each there would be a matrix of minimum sentences that relate the specific circumstances of the crime with the offender’s criminal history. In essence, judges would be required to "score" offenses, using 19 "offense" and seven "prior-record" variables, and issue minimum sentences accordingly.
http://www.michiganinbrief.org/edition06/images/bullet.gifSenate Bill 826 is the truth-in-sentencing legislation: It is designed to ensure that convicted offenders serve at least their minimum sentence. Traditional corrections practice is to reward good behavior in prison by granting offenders "good time" credits that reduce their minimum sentence. The bill would greatly reduce the use of good time credits and instead create a system of "disciplinary credits" for poor behavior that would add time to sentences. Under this bill, prisoners would be far more likely to serve at least the minimum sentence imposed and, if they are penalized for infractions committed while incarcerated, well could serve more time.

Since the proposed sentencing guidelines recommend lesser minimum sentences for less serious offenses, the overall effect of SB 825 probably would be to reduce demand for new prisons. However, the sentencing commission projects that SB 826’s truth-in-sentencing provisions would increase the need for prison space

Tuberose
06-18-2005, 10:02 AM
These must be the bills that led to the current guidelines. This page was created in 1999. The links only work if you leave off the bullet part of the address. There prediction was partly wrong though. 3rd offence OUIL could be no or very little jail time but because of the sentencing guidelines counting other non related convictions he got all his score from that, giving him 1-5 years. Big difference.

kkarnage
07-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Truth in sentencing took effect in the state of Michigan upon December 15, 1998 .. anyone convicted for a felony and doing time in the MDOC fell under this.. that had been sentenced after that date.. I was sentenced in 1989.. so I got was is called displinary credits... 5 per month + 2 more added each month IF the warden decided to grant them.. what this means...
is when I first gone to prison in 1989.. they took all the days off my sentence that i could possibly earn for my whole bit and subtracted it for all my outdates.. {sgt} specical good time min}and reg good time min {sgt} specical good time max} and reg good time max then if i caught a major ticket then the warden could order the forfiture of any and all days not already earned..
for the People who came in after 12/15/98 {that was the date set by the MDOC in inact it} then if they were found guilty of a major misconduct they would have days added to there sentence.. all the way up too 2/3 their Max sentence.. .. so if a person is serving 5 to 15 years.. then under the truth in sentencing they could because of "bad conduct" end up serving 10 years before they even get to see the parole board...:( Furthermore because of 24 month passovers "flops" he/she could serve out there max and only have to see the board once as in the example above...
while I am at it... I saw a post here where people were talking about the MDOC letting 700 inmates go... If it was me... and I HAVE been there... i wouldnt count on it... the MDOC gets about $47,000 bucks per inmate per year... in the 12 1/2 years i was inside from almost day one there were was talk of the feds stepping in and doing this that or the other to let inmates go...but how many times did it really happen...:hm let me count...... 0 times... in 12 1/2 years ... that dont mean it cant... but honestly... i wouldnt count on it and wouldnt believe it until i saw paper work in my hands and then only when i was walking out the gate..

StacysWar030
07-15-2005, 05:30 AM
Thank you for posting Karnage. I absolutely agree with you. As we ALL are seeing, talk is talk. Until they actually START doing something, nothing is going ot happen.

Ahh, we can have hope tho ;)

Stacy