Tuberose
06-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Standing Committee Meeting
Judiciary, Rep. William Van Regenmorter, Chair
Date: 06/15/2005 Time: 10:30 AM
Place: 308 House Office Building, Lansing, MI
Agenda:
HB 4797 (Elsenheimer) Criminal procedure; preliminary examination;
right to preliminary examination for certain crimes; eliminate.

HB 4799 (Van Regenmorter) Criminal procedure; preliminary
examination; right to preliminary examination for certain crimes;
eliminate.

HB 4800 (Van Regenmorter) Criminal procedure; preliminary
examination; right to preliminary examination for certain crimes;
eliminate.

OR ANY BUSINESS PROPERLY BEFORE THIS COMMITTEE.

To view text of legislation go to
http://www.michiganlegislature.org/mileg.asp?page=Bills

Individuals who wish to bring written testimony need to supply a minimum
of thirty copies for distribution.

Individuals needing special accommodations to participate in the meeting
may contact the Chair's office.

Committee Clerk: Malika Abdur-Rashid
Phone: 517-373-7256

Schedule changes or cancellations available at
www.MichiganLegislature.org (http://www.MichiganLegislature.org) or 24 hours at (517) 373-8140.
Subscribe/Unsubscribe to electronic notices at
www.house.mi.gov/Committee_Subscribe.asp (http://www.house.mi.gov/Committee_Subscribe.asp)

I'm wondering if it is sufficient to email members of the committee an opinion if not planning to attend or do you have to mail them 30 copies?

Tom H
06-11-2005, 08:05 AM
I was at the recent judiciary committee meeting when Pat Caruso testified about the articles in the Detroit News about sexual abuse still occurring in the womens' prisons. Her testimony was appalling. She even tried to say, with a straight face, that the internal affairs department of the MDOC is an "objective investigative" body.

I plan on attending the upcoming judiciary committee meeting about the proposed changes to the preliminary exam rules. This is a very bad bill for a lot of reasons - and the idea that it will save money I think is ridiculous. To save money, Mike Cox might want to consider a bill requiring training county prosecutors not to over-charge and to be more amenable to reasonable plea negotiations - that would cut down on a number of unnecessary preliminary exams.

Tom H
Attorney at Law
Lansing, MI

angeltob
06-11-2005, 09:29 AM
To save money, Mike Cox might want to consider a bill requiring training county prosecutors not to over-charge and to be more amenable to reasonable plea negotiations - that would cut down on a number of unnecessary preliminary exams.

Hear hear!! But Tom...that would be too much like right!! Keep us posted and let us know when it is. I want to offer my support for sure!

Tuberose
06-11-2005, 08:48 PM
I was at the recent judiciary committee meeting when Pat Caruso testified about the articles
I plan on attending the upcoming judiciary committee meeting about the proposed changes to the preliminary exam rules.
Tom H
Attorney at Law
Lansing, MI
I'm really glad you're doing this. They may listen to someone like you. Let em have it!:angry: (In love of course!:D :thumbsup: )

DENIMBLUE
06-12-2005, 04:58 PM
..."objective investigative" body...straight face...who does she think she is fooling...her self? :confused: