View Full Version : What role does the caseworker/manager play?

BuTTaFLyy
06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey everyone, I am a new prison wifey, and I just wanted to know what role exactly does the case manager or caseworker plays in our inmates lives? What is their job? If I questions are they able to answer or are they just there for the inmate? I havent heard from my husband yet, he has been sent t the prison that hes gonna be at,he got there on 26th (May) I havent heard from him,nor has his mom. I put money on his acct on the 27th so that he could get envelopes or something to write.and both of our lines are clear so that he can call home.I just dont understand whats going on. I have been writing him at least 4 times a week since hes been in reception and I still havent heard anything yet.I just want someone to tell me whats goin on or what the hold up is in gettin his pin number so that he can make calls, he shouldve had a pin number to make calls assigned to him when he was in reception (he got there may 2nd) I called them, they said that a pin number hasnt even been assigned to him yet.they said he needs to fill out the paperwork.I know hes probably nervous, this is his first bid in prison, so he's probably scared to ask anyone anything.What are my options, call the chaplain,case manager or who???

BillieJo
06-08-2005, 08:31 PM
not much of one from what I have seen.... lol

I had to call my guy's SW when he had a court date that he freakin MISSED and asked to have her relay the msg to call home and discuss what to do for his legal counsel- got nothin!

I wish I had something positive to offer. but I don't. mine got to his joint on 4.25 and I haven't been approved for visitation YET.

California Sunshine
06-08-2005, 10:18 PM
I moved this to General Prison talk where I think you may get some more answers :)

BuTTaFLyy
06-09-2005, 11:19 AM
So when I get added to the visitation list, I have to call the caseworker to set it up, is that right? this is all new to me.please advise..thnx!

jesuschick
06-11-2005, 03:26 AM
As my man told me his case worker is not his friend, not to ask her questions, she will use all against him. He said he don't even talk to her if he don't have to. Be careful what you say to them if you have to call their case manager.
They do not have a personal relationship with your inmate, they really don't know much about them. My man is on medication for Bio-polar and schizophrenic, the prison don't always give him his meds. like needed. He gets violent and does stuff and gets in trouble without really knowing what he is doing. In a phone conversation he was telling me they wouldn't give it to him because they said it costs to much. So I call the case manager and he got treated like s--t because of it.

Doc's Sis
06-11-2005, 04:54 AM
Case Manager is supposed to be there to help the inmate. However, some case workers can be rude and some of them downright nasty! So, as mentioned above, if you call and talk with the case worker, never give out any personal info. Doc had one Unit Manager who was very nice and very helpful to me. His Case Manager was the pits and is no longer there. Haven't had any opportunity to make contact with the new one yet so don't know what he's like.
If the inmate is your husband, you can call the prison and ask for the Case Manager or the Unit Manager for your husband. IF you can reach one of them, simply tell them you are his wife and wonder if he is ok because he hasn't written or called. THEN let the person you speak with tell you if he's allowed phone calls.
You could also mention that you want to be put on your husbands approved visitor list and wonder what you can do to accomplish that. Case Manager will tell you that the inmate must initiate it and you could then reply that he's very nervous and upset right now. Ask CM to please give your husband the forms to sign....
Am just saying to approach CM in a way that will make him/her willing to help you.

jesuschick
06-11-2005, 05:10 AM
With each prison they moved my man to I had to fill out a form, but this last time I contacted the wardens office and they allowed me to have what they call a special visit until my application was approved.

joey's wife
06-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Hey everyone, I am a new prison wifey, and I just wanted to know what role exactly does the case manager or caseworker plays in our inmates lives? What is their job? If I questions are they able to answer or are they just there for the inmate? I havent heard from my husband yet, he has been sent t the prison that hes gonna be at,he got there on 26th (May) I havent heard from him,nor has his mom. I put money on his acct on the 27th so that he could get envelopes or something to write.and both of our lines are clear so that he can call home.I just dont understand whats going on. I have been writing him at least 4 times a week since hes been in reception and I still havent heard anything yet.I just want someone to tell me whats goin on or what the hold up is in gettin his pin number so that he can make calls, he shouldve had a pin number to make calls assigned to him when he was in reception (he got there may 2nd) I called them, they said that a pin number hasnt even been assigned to him yet.they said he needs to fill out the paperwork.I know hes probably nervous, this is his first bid in prison, so he's probably scared to ask anyone anything.What are my options, call the chaplain,case manager or who???Hi,1st he must ask for the form2-2 for temp.phone priv. and fill it out and turn it back in. it takes 10 days to get a pin after that. My husband is at R&E also and he sent the form to me so I had to send it back to him after I read the instructions,he has to turn that in first,then he will have to send a Form 2-3 as the temp form is jsut for R&E. I hope this has helped some. My husband was just sent there 6-02-05 and he has written once. They will give them 4 envelopes to write a month..Better than nothing.....:)

lilithinwaiting
06-22-2005, 04:37 PM
I mean no offense to any case manager but I have found from my son's 8 yrs in prison they do little of anything for them and found most can be very rude but I suppose it is trying on them when we interrupt their coffee breaks and paper work. I am sure there are good ones but I get much more help from the CO's.
I do have to say where my hubby is now they are very helpful and polite but I have not actually received any info from my husbands case manager nor has he.