View Full Version : Michigan's Driver's Responsibility Fee

Tuberose
06-04-2005, 08:14 AM
A new way for the State to bring in money. Anyone who gets a certain amount of points on licience gets an extra fine from the State ranging from $200-$1000.

For any of you dealing with inmates in for OUIL 3rd, the fee is $1000 due within 30 days of notice, with interest, penalties accruing until paid. Of course, when the notice came Tim was already incarcerated so I had to deal with it. I asked for a payment plan and they agreed to $100 month. In the meantime they somehow entered it again under a different account number. This one included his SS# enclosed in 2 Ss. The first account number was completely different. So I began paying then got a threat on the 2nd account that he was delinquent and they may seize our assets. I called and wrote them again asking them to please fix this mistake. Thought it was corrected any I just received a letter for the 2nd account number that they have approved the payment plan, 6 months later. Now I am again trying to get the second account/fine deleted. Problem is they don't want to talk to me on the phone. I can't get the right person. This fine gets charged two times, one year apart and I'll have to deal with this again if I don't get it straight.

zhane
06-04-2005, 08:38 AM
How about that.....good info!

angeltob
06-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Well aint that something. Its amazing how they suck blood huh? I heard something about this and that they send the bill to your house quite a spell after the event is over.
One guy in my group was speeding and ended up getting a 400 dollar bill six months later. I had no idea what he was talking about...but its all making sense to me now.
Thanks for sharing.

mi_girl_2004
06-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Here's the link to the fee schedule:

Driver Responsibility Fees (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Driver_Responsibility_Program_-_Fact_Sheet_78088_7.pdf)

Jenny
:D

gipsyrose
06-06-2005, 06:01 PM
It happens for proof of insurance too even if you have ins. I didn't have the actual proof w/ me but had my company make a statement that I did have it. It didn't help :(
I already paid a $200 fine on top of the $180 ticket and should be getting my second $200 fine to pay soon.
Hope the state uses my money wisely could I sure coulda used it!!

Daves Mom
10-22-2005, 07:26 PM
I had a friend who did that,they hadnt put there new proof of insurance in truck and he had to pay fine but he got his money back some how.